Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/SDKelliher/status/1227883387517579264?s=20

Can't believe Karen Bradley was unable to sort out the problems around getting Stormont started back up in her 18 months as NI Secretary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-strike-trade-deal-with-eu-ahead-of-uk-2020-2

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROSxvcsgqjA

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

marktheando posted:

I heard there is nowhere suitable in England so they would have to beg the Americans to let them dock in Virginia.

"Suitable" here means "not too close to a population centre". Apparently Scottish population centres don't count. There are plenty of places to store nukes in England if they maintain the same disregard for local lives.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://twitter.com/ColinBrowning14/status/1227906931450425344

directly into my veins.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
lmao

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

it's...but...that's exactly the brexit they voted for

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

silvergoose posted:

it's...but...that's exactly the brexit they voted for

No no, we voted to keep dirty foreigners out, not to keep us trapped in this hell island, don't you see?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

that guy's twitter is pretty good, he's obsessed with cyclists and brexit

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I know it's ridiculous to say this as an American, but I can't believe the civics education they received that would convince them that Brexit would be a net benefit to them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I know it's ridiculous to say this as an American, but I can't believe the civics education they received that would convince them that Brexit would be a net benefit to them.

...barely any. You can tell, can't you?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Samurai Sanders posted:

What civics education? Seriously, it's not something taught in schools here (or anywhere else for that matter).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Wolfsbane posted:

What civics education? Seriously, it's not something taught in schools here (or anywhere else for that matter).

Eh, there's Modern Studies (or whatever yon Sassenachs call it) which is basically the same idea. But we don't get very much of it as a mandatory part of the curriculum. Or didn't. Been far too long since I left school, could all have changed.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Samurai Sanders posted:

what civics education this guy got was erased by reading the daily mail and the sun his entire life. like so many of his protofascist right-wing compatriots, he's just been completely and utterly brainwashed by the tabloid press.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Also those look like just the regular gates, for EU citizens, used by Brits for at least another year, that are in a busy airport for the day that everybody is going home after Feb half term.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
The Dutch later explained that the queues were due to training new border personnel, and that it was unrelated to Brexit

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

The Dutch later explained that the queues were due to training new border personnel, and that it was unrelated to Brexit

too bad

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Although there is an explanation that they were training to prepare them for brexit by testing out 2021 protocols, as happened at that train station in Paris which caused four hour delays

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

the new hires were being trained to annoy the poo poo out of brits so it was successful

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

Although there is an explanation that they were training to prepare them for brexit by testing out 2021 protocols, as happened at that train station in Paris which caused four hour delays

a glimmer of hope

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the british are gonna be trapped on their island w diminishing resources until they beg to be let back into the eu :rip:

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Squizzle posted:

the british are gonna be trapped on their island w diminishing resources until they beg to be let back into the eu :rip:

They won't, because it'll be a net loss for them. No way the EU is letting them back in with the same sweet deal they had before.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hmm. things are bad because we left the eu. I think this means we need more austerity

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

twoday posted:

Yeah I know that line, you can even see the union jack hastily added to the EU and swiss flags that were there before.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Also also the picture is from the automatic lines that have the facial recognition machines. There aren't even human border guards involved there (usually anyway)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

spankmeister posted:

Also also the picture is from the automatic lines that have the facial recognition machines. There aren't even human border guards involved there (usually anyway)
Chaos in Schiphol airport as facial recognition machines ask for custom clearance documentation for enormous quantities of ham.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

oliwan posted:

I know right? I would've sworn this tweet was a parody except the account clearly has more history than anyone would bother with for a prank.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the remnants of the uk will absolutely be begging to get back in on any terms in like 20-30 years

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

redleader posted:

the remnants of the uk will absolutely be begging to get back in on any terms in like 20-30 years

Very much depends on how well the EU survives the climate crisis. It's looking a tad brittle.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mrmcd posted:

I know right? I would've sworn this tweet was a parody except the account clearly has more history than anyone would bother with for a prank.

brexitstomper58

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
https://twitter.com/MartinRemains/status/1229053593552113664

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Apparently they can stay in yokohama instead since they tested negative, even.

They'd have to pay for their own food and accomodation though, that might be the issue.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/17/italian-man-95-resident-in-uk-for-68-years-told-to-prove-it

quote:

A 95-year-old Italian man who has been in the UK for 68 years has been asked to prove he is resident in the country by the Home Office in order to remain after Brexit, despite receiving the state pension for the past 32 years.

quote:

Antonio Finelli came to the country in 1952 when he answered an appeal for immigrant labour as part of the reconstruction effort after the second world war ended.

He was welcomed with one week’s advance wages and a sandwich when he arrived at Folkestone harbour, but almost 70 years later says he has been forced to supply 80 pages of bank statements to prove his right to stay in the UK.

He was asked for proof that he had been in the country for five consecutive years when he applied for the EU settlement scheme, but the Home Office app said it could not find any record of him.

quote:

Dimitri Scarlato, a volunteer at Inca CGIL, an advice centre for Italian citizens, said he has had one woman in the centre who was so stressed out about having to find paperwork she “thought she was going to have a heart attack”.

“What I find unacceptable is that Mr Finelli has been living here for 70 years. He has been here all his life. He worked for 40 years and [after] 32 years received his pension. He is a good fellow, a good citizen and came before freedom of movement, [but] still has the burden of providing proof of residence.

“He has been here all these years but the system treats him as if he doesn’t exist. Why?” said Scarlato.

quote:

Finelli is the second case in a week of elderly EU citizens struggling with the settled status application which all EU and EEA citizens need to complete in order to stay in the UK after June next year.

Last week it emerged that a 101-year-old, Giovanni Palmiero, who coincidentally knew Finelli as a child in Italy, had been told to get his parents to apply on his behalf because the Home Office system thought he was a one-year-old.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
"Oops, we accidentally dropped all these citizenship documents in the jumbo shredder! So sorry about that, folks. But I'm sure you have access to all the evidence we need to let you stay in the country!"

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

The settled status is garbage btw, people saying it would be easy is bullshit. I am doing it for my wife at the moment, you have to prove your residency on a month by month basis for the past 5 years. Does anybody keep their gas bill from 5 years ago? She has been a stay at home mum since we moved to our house 7 years ago, so she doesn't have tax info and older info doesn't count, it has to be the past 5 years.

Also, you can only upload 10 documents to the online portal for proof because gently caress you that's why.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Haha it's almost like they don't want the immigrants to stay!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
hey getting rid of all the immigrant labor worked for georgia in the us. plus if, and this is a small chance, things go south they can rely on the euro so inflation shouldnt get too bad

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

oliwan posted:

it's a bit, and an incredible one at that

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Dravs posted:

The settled status is garbage btw, people saying it would be easy is bullshit. I am doing it for my wife at the moment, you have to prove your residency on a month by month basis for the past 5 years. Does anybody keep their gas bill from 5 years ago? She has been a stay at home mum since we moved to our house 7 years ago, so she doesn't have tax info and older info doesn't count, it has to be the past 5 years.

Also, you can only upload 10 documents to the online portal for proof because gently caress you that's why.

i managed to get around the lovely document requirements by grabbing two pages per month of my bank statements from my online bank account and stick those into one document per year, so I only had to upload 5 "documents".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

We went on a day trip from Belfast to Dublin on the bus at the weekend. Although it's an open border there's still a small chance of getting stopped for a random spot check; it's happened to me twice in the last 20 years or so. So everyone usually carries their passport or some other form of ID, just in case.

So while everyone else just flashes their ID with no hassle, there were two arseholes who didn't have any and kicked up a ruckus proclaiming that this kind of police state EU bureaucracy was the exact reason they voted for Brexit. The Gardaí didn't really give a poo poo and were happy enough to let them continue their journey, but those two loving moaned and bitched about it for at least 30 minutes after.