Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Es una emboscada....... an ambush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Why is Archie even considering college? He already owns his own business and he hates school. There's very little for him to gain from pursuing higher education besides debt.

Veronica's relationship with her father continues to make no sense. Why is Archie encouraging her to help prolong the life of a man who has tried to kill him multiple times? This show is incapable of letting people cut toxic family members out of their lives.

I still don't buy that Jughead is really dead.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Why is Archie even considering college? He already owns his own business and he hates school. There's very little for him to gain from pursuing higher education besides debt.

Veronica's relationship with her father continues to make no sense. Why is Archie encouraging her to help prolong the life of a man who has tried to kill him multiple times? This show is incapable of letting people cut toxic family members out of their lives.

Because at this point Riverdale obviously prioritizes cheap, easy drama over compelling, consistent characterization or growth of any sort.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I still don't buy that Jughead is really dead.

There's no way that this is true. It's gotta be a long con that Betty and even Donna might be in on. To what end, I have no idea.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
My guess is that Archie and Veronica snuck off into the woods to set up a camera or something and Betty and Jughead just played along with the fuge state so they can get video of Brett and Donna trying to use Betty to murder Jughead and Jug will pretend to be dead while investigating the secret society.

But then again I thought Dylan would have shown up by now to play Jughead's twin cousin so what do I know.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The Jughead murder plot is dumb because we've known it's basically staged for 14 episodes. We just don't know how staged. Archie and Veronica have to be in on it, right? I would be pissed if my best friends gaslit me like that but then again, I can see how Betty wouldn't trust them to shut up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I love when people who only watched a couple episodes of Riverdale find out random information from later seasons.

https://twitter.com/JenAshleyWright/status/1229175711325442051?s=20

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

in the replies:

https://twitter.com/me_carter/status/1229186409359192065

which, hey, same

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

To be fair it did happen off camera during, I assume, a commercial break.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I wonder if writing for this show is enjoyable or exhausting? Like, you do have the ability to literally write anything you want because this show doesn't conform to any sort of rules. However, then you have to continually try and outdo yourself, because you sure as hell can't go back to "Archie is trying to become a musician".

This show had great casting with Brett, because he has the most smug, condescending smile.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Twin Cinema posted:

I wonder if writing for this show is enjoyable or exhausting? Like, you do have the ability to literally write anything you want because this show doesn't conform to any sort of rules. However, then you have to continually try and outdo yourself, because you sure as hell can't go back to "Archie is trying to become a musician".

This show had great casting with Brett, because he has the most smug, condescending smile.

It certainly felt exhausting to watch this week's episode.:ughh:

e: I like that they made Archie's mom coming out a "yeah, okay, great" moment, but still. I don't think they're going to do anything interesting with this bit of character development, so it feels a little tokenizing.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 28, 2020

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Ok I'm finally with everyone else on the Hiram Veronica hate train, that will signing was the final straw.

And I feel stupid now realizing that all my speculation about Jughead's death is wrong and they're just pulling a Dallas where in this has all just been that perfect murder story Jughead had to write earlier in the season and it will all end with him just reading it to the class or some poo poo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Skwirl posted:

I love when people who only watched a couple episodes of Riverdale find out random information from later seasons.

https://twitter.com/JenAshleyWright/status/1229175711325442051?s=20

georgina sparks <3

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

And I feel stupid now realizing that all my speculation about Jughead's death is wrong and they're just pulling a Dallas where in this has all just been that perfect murder story Jughead had to write earlier in the season and it will all end with him just reading it to the class or some poo poo.

Meanwhile the real mystery they solved this season was who made the creepy video tapes of people's houses.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Jughead's friend's seem pretty nonplussed about his death.

I have also noticed that this show's villains seem to always be the same one-note condescending, smug prick. They also always seem to have the upper-hand.

I also just saw that there is a Katy Keene show airing on CW right now, which would explain why she showed up in a previous episode. I am still surprised Sabrina hasn't shown up.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Thoroughly enjoyed that when Betty went to Archie for help, it was for "I need you to punch someone", the only thing he's reliably good at.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Katy Keene’s actually not as bad as I expected.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Ok I'm finally with everyone else on the Hiram Veronica hate train, that will signing was the final straw.

Ugh this would suck but also would make the putting on/taking off the bunny mask make some thematic sense

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sgt. Politeness posted:

That would be the dumbest possible way to resolve this, so if course that's what's going to happen.

Riverdale!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

Thoroughly enjoyed that when Betty went to Archie for help, it was for "I need you to punch someone", the only thing he's reliably good at.

Brett's "oh poo poo" reaction to seeing him walk into school was also way funnier than it should have been.

Like, the one time he's even remotely broken face is when he knows this big dumb ginger gorilla is about to charge him.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Breaking news: Mary Andrews is bisexual, continues to be the best parent.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shneak posted:

Breaking news: Mary Andrews is bisexual, continues to be the best parent.

Way better than Veronica's dad, the murdering mob boss, who Veronica now wants to be "a source of strength" for.

I really can't overstate how much I hate that plotline and will never stop complaining about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Way better than Veronica's dad, the murdering mob boss, who Veronica now wants to be "a source of strength" for.

I really can't overstate how much I hate that plotline and will never stop complaining about it.

I wanna catch up on the show, but ugh, Veronica reconciling with her dad is just so horrible I don't want to see it.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
She needs to go straight up mob boss evil and fully team up with her dad or gently caress off to college, because I'm sick of her dumb loving speakeasy/dance club/rum runner/burlesque house plotlines that are nonsensical even for Riverdale, but also commit the sin of being utterly boring.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MorgaineDax posted:

She needs to go straight up mob boss evil and fully team up with her dad or gently caress off to college, because I'm sick of her dumb loving speakeasy/dance club/rum runner/burlesque house plotlines that are nonsensical even for Riverdale, but also commit the sin of being utterly boring.

I like the terrible loving cover songs.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skwirl posted:

I wanna catch up on the show, but ugh, Veronica reconciling with her dad is just so horrible I don't want to see it.

It's not fun bad like everything else on this show, it's just bad bad.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skwirl posted:

I like the terrible loving cover songs.

That's what the musical episodes are for!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Veronica has flip flopped on her dad so many times in this season alone. It's frustrating

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Honestly, there were several points where Veronica could have legit killed her dad and gotten away with it scot free and the fact that she hasn’t is a huge drawback for this show. Guy’s an irredeemable sack of poo poo and Veronica feeling any reluctance because he’s her “Daddy” just makes her seem like a complete fool.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I think Veronica's base is daddy issues the same way Archie's is bad decisions/dumb, but man is it long past time to move on.

As has been said, three or four rotations ago she should have just stayed team Hiram and gone full Mafiosa, her character hasn't been interesting in a while.

Also I'm not a love triangle kinda guy but wasn't that the basic pitch of the show? How are we 4 seasons in and it's still Archie + Veronica? I've always shipped Veronica but you're not really paying tribute to the comics without a little back and forth. For a show this seedy I find their strict monogamy baffling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't even sit through Veronica's scenes anymore. I think I'm only tuning in for the Blossoms at this point.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

give me bettyxarchie or give me death

or give me bettyxveronica tbh

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

esperterra posted:

give me bettyxarchie or give me death

or give me bettyxveronica tbh

Jarchie or bust!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Still Fluxing posted:

Jarchie or bust!

Portmanteaus are way more fun when they are a pun.
Beryl. Sure, they're second cousins, but that didn't bother their siblings.

I mostly keep watching this stupid show, because Betty's actress is really good at making expressive faces.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Most of the actors are much much better than the material they're given. (Most, not alllllll)
I want a massive gut wrenching massacre that culls the town and releases some of that talent for other shows.

There are much better shows on the CW that Mads and Lili would shine in.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What a twist! Jughead is actually alive. Really had me going there. I kinda like Donna, though. Her brand of psychotic crazy gels way better than Brad's preppy douchebaggery.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah that was a pretty flat reveal.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Arbite posted:

Yeah that was a pretty flat reveal.

Doesn’t help that they did everything possible to take the air out of their reveal before executing it as anticlimactically as possible. Repeatedly pointing out how stupid, unlikely, and hackneyed your plot point is doesn’t make it any less stupid, unlikely, or hackneyed.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Some great Cheryl content this episode, both her inability to mourn jughead, and her rapidly switching from offering Betty constant support to immediately attempting to destroy her in the name of juicy drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I feel like we are finally getting SOME answers to the crazy that is Riverdale. I think the reveal was pretty flat. Donna knows whats up, which is unless you see the body and it goes into the ground the person is not dead. She is also crazy as hell. Brett being both terrified and in awe of Archie's Alpha prowess is hilarious. The reveal was a little flat. I am also pretty sure that the writers MUST be watching this thread and/or listening to Sex Archie (I forget the posters name that does it with his wife but guys I listen every week). They clearly had Kevin acting as the stand-in for the audience this week. The callouts for "Barchie stans" and those who never felt like Bughead should even be a thing was hilarious. Finally Kevin gets to speak something of substance.

I think they have foreshadowed enough that we are going to see the remainder of the season playing out. Betty quoting Holmes vs Moriarty, Reggie talking about Jughead's obsession with faking his own death/watching his own funeral via Huck Finn. I think we are going to see a clip montage of all the off screen stuff that happened, which will include Jug somewhere in the back at his own funeral but in disguise. The culmination will be Jug showing how the Quill and Skull have killed off people.

What I don't get;
How do you get brained so hard that you are mistaken for dead, but not actually dead. Jug comes back consciousness and has the fortitude to get Betty out of her mental state and come up with the most elaborate plan ever? Including things like getting your body shoved down a ravine, having your blood smeared all over multiple rocks etc. How does Veronica effortlessly rip a passport in half? They are like plasticized paper and really durable. What does Betty's FBI half brother have to do with the big picture and being Chick's lover?

Additionally the word "Endgame" was spoken again, and that reminds me of this which I wrote last year in May, and also said the same thing well before:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I will also stand my ground that Betty and Archie are endgame. The constant references of anything different are to build tension. Wasn't it the first scene of the pilot episode that Kevin declared to Veronica that Archie and Betty are endgame? (also that work is used too much in this show).
(emphasis of my own quote added because this is getting more relevant)