Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

there will never be a private server bc itd never be able to afford a full-time switchflipper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Majin posted:

I know I Would love for a server To just Fall into my lap some how...

same

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I AM THE MOON posted:

there will never be a private server bc itd never be able to afford a full-time switchflipper

It was amazing that a game truly was designed to need a physical man flipping a large analog steel lever to start Midtown

Gaz couldn't afford a single moment of dev time to automate anything

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Dely Apple posted:

It was amazing that a game truly was designed to need a physical man flipping a large analog steel lever to start Midtown

Gaz couldn't afford a single moment of dev time to automate anything

Devs were too busy designing passive skills to be always-on hidden buffs

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Humerus posted:

Devs were too busy designing passive skills to be always-on hidden buffs

And writing 3 mile long descriptions for Ultimate Powers.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
MH wasn't a game. It was memes comes to life. The ultimate immersion experience. Meme VR.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I still had so many goddamn buffs and boosters going that I don't think they could have ever ran out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PrinnySquadron posted:

I still had so many goddamn buffs and boosters going that I don't think they could have ever ran out.

Same. I used to google promo codes every few days and I had so much poo poo stacked up that I’m pretty sure I’d have double XP til the heat death of the universe.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
No other game has allowed me to crash the server on demand by buffing myself and others.

:negative:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

one time i was in a pubbie green raid that died to one of the bosses so the raid leader started inspecting everyone and yelled at me for having level 12 uniques

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

punchymcpunch posted:

one time i was in a pubbie green raid that died to one of the bosses so the raid leader started inspecting everyone and yelled at me for having level 12 uniques

lol

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I appreciated being able to raid with other goons because we had a good mix of hyper-optimized people in there most of the time so I could play whatever stupid sub-optimal meme build I wanted to and just use the buttons that looked cool. Or missiles only Iron Man.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Zaodai posted:

I appreciated being able to raid with other goons because we had a good mix of hyper-optimized people in there most of the time so I could play whatever stupid sub-optimal meme build I wanted to and just use the buttons that looked cool. Or missiles only Iron Man.
It was an accurate representation of the Avengers, where Hawkeye and Tigra are alongside Vision and Captain Marvel.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Get real, even if there was a private server we'd just break it:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

No other game has allowed me to crash the server on demand by buffing myself and others.

:negative:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

You know it's easy to remember the many times Gaz did something dumb and hosed stuff up but for a while there they were actually adding characters pretty regularly and they had some good ideas like the synergies for leveling up heroes. And remember when they added Taskmaster completely unannounced? That fuckin ruled even if they never did anything like that again.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Humerus posted:

You know it's easy to remember the many times Gaz did something dumb and hosed stuff up but for a while there they were actually adding characters pretty regularly and they had some good ideas like the synergies for leveling up heroes. And remember when they added Taskmaster completely unannounced? That fuckin ruled even if they never did anything like that again.

And updating the preexisting characters and uniques to fix their mistakes and even out the power creep generally turned out pretty well, especially when it created new power schemes that were more interesting than what came before. Man, I miss Lightning Thor, Movement Spidey and Groots-A-Go-Go Rocket...

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I have never seen anything as memey as gaz fuckups and likely will never see anything as memey again, sadly. An idiosyncratic combination of developer incompetence, a dedicated fanbase with low expectations, and a dash of unadulterated autism

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

McSpanky posted:

And updating the preexisting characters and uniques to fix their mistakes and even out the power creep generally turned out pretty well, especially when it created new power schemes that were more interesting than what came before. Man, I miss Lightning Thor, Movement Spidey and Groots-A-Go-Go Rocket...

Adding entirely new mechanics like Momentum for Juggernaut and the Punisher’s reload stuff was brilliant. The fact they were so incompetent at so much but so capable of making so many characters play completely uniquely, in ways that worked with the actual character, is the weirdest dichotomy I’ve seen in gaming in a while.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Honestly it seemed like they had some really talented developers but everyone at a senior or executive level was beyond incompetent.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

One of the more remarkable things is that they took this fanbase with obviously loads of disposable income and built this unique game and still mismanaged it enough to make it collapse.

Like if they just ported it over to consoles as it was it probably would have kept on making money but instead they basically built a whole new game with the same assets. I just don't understand.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I think the devs who made the great mechanical heroes moved out before the end. They were certainly releasing great heroes as late as Doom, but I recall thinking that a lot of the last few were just combinations of rehashed abilities from other heroes.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Humerus posted:

Like if they just ported it over to consoles as it was it probably would have kept on making money but instead they basically built a whole new game with the same assets. I just don't understand.

Can't do anything with it -- the store page itself is gone -- but it's still in my library!

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I spent so much on this. Probably the best gift I got was my wife bought me gaz bucks to get the first yearly pack after the intro one, gaz being gaz you couldn't spend gaz bucks on that, so she got me the pack in addition to the gaz bucks. Married a keeper.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

for me nothing will top the stream where ryolnir (?) ate hotdogs and they kept putting ghost peppers and poo poo on em to make him stop but he just wouldnt, so they had to call it, cos the xp buff was getting outta hand

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

except perhaps the stream where icr was talking about antmans cock and balls over a totally black frame

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

punchymcpunch posted:

except perhaps the stream where icr was talking about antmans cock and balls over a totally black frame

Is there an archive because I missed this art.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Y'all remember that weird guy who was bitching to people in the supergroup about some woman he'd been stalking and we all found out he was actually real deal insane

I have just realized I described multiple people in our beautiful game so instead here's a screenshot of Spidey with an absolutely visible dong

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

HebrewMagic posted:

Y'all remember that weird guy who was bitching to people in the supergroup about some woman he'd been stalking and we all found out he was actually real deal insane

yeah he was playing from inside a mental hospital wasnt he

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I remember him getting booted from supergroup several times but always weaselling his way back in.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i dont think i ever interacted with that guy, i was cursed to play with eurocrew

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'm so sorry

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Holy poo poo how'd I miss that?

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

I AM THE MOON posted:

yeah he was playing from inside a mental hospital wasnt he

That's the one! He came confiding in me about some girl problem or other and I was like "yeah life is hard as a teenager huh" and the next day he'd been bounced again

He logged in, noticed, made passing reference to being in the loving institution but to be honest anything past that point is fuzzy because I was hammering the remove friend button and screaming "OH MY loving GOD YOU GUYS WEREN'T KIDDING" in sg chat

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Cides

<Groot Farce>

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Kainser posted:

Cides

<Groot Farce>

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Remember when marvel lost the fantastic four video game rights and they had to disable all those characters for everyone who hadn’t bought them yet. lol.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So what was the deal with "disneydick" anyway?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Moon Monster posted:

So what was the deal with "disneydick" anyway?

For some reason if you said Disney before anything it was like a chat filter bypass. It wouldn't censor anything as long as the word Disney was on the front of it.

Didn't work for any other word and we never found out why

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Cool facts for some reason I recall that also working in the free to play version of battlefield I played with my best friend in high school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

good news for any of us who are still broken enough to want to pay money to be deadpool in a free video game

its time for icr to ruin this one for the world. you're needed