Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Oddly, Uncharted 4 had the exact opposite problem because the game hinged entirely on me caring about Drake's super-cool brother who had strangely never been mentioned before but is actually responsible for every decision Drake ever made, trust us. But he was a completely unlikable rear end in a top hat with the world's shallowest motivations. The only bad things that would happen if the baddies got to the treasure first is that a character I hated would've died and a rich jerk would've become slightly richer. And even then they reveal that the threat on the brother's life was a lie made up by the lovely brother, so who cares?

Also the fact that Nate's character arc in that game is the exact same one he just went through in Uncharted 3, but the Last of Us dudes wrote it this time so it's supposed to be profound now.

BioEnchanted posted:

Also it kind of fails the whole World Ending Threat that it tries to paint the elements attacking as, the flood is very localised and all the others happen on the same place you happen to be. It's less world ending, and more "The elements just don't like this part of this continent..."

That's another thing they teased at the beginning and forgot about. If Shadow had been a globe-trotting adventure where magic disasters were specifically following Lara because she raided a tomb, that would've been a good hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Laras ultimate goal is the make the entire world a tomb so she can literally never stop raiding

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Laras ultimate goal is the make the entire world a tomb so she can literally never stop raiding

So, something like this:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Also it kind of fails the whole World Ending Threat that it tries to paint the elements attacking as, the flood is very localised and all the others happen on the same place you happen to be. It's less world ending, and more "The elements just don't like this part of this continent..."

The funny thing is, that would be a perfectly fine motivation without making it a world ending threat. "Lara shows up to do some Tomb Raidin', finds a population facing a threat, decides to help via indiscriminate murder of anyone and anything not of said population, please ignore the white savior angle" would be a perfectly valid story for the character and pulp adventure genre without bringing in a worldwide conspiracy.

Crowetron posted:

The beginning of Shadow sets up a lot of that, and then never follows through. Again, I think the core of that problem is Trinity; the games become so concerned about big scale villains and world-ending threats that it ignores the actual characters. Nothing really changes so nothing's ever at stake and Lara just shrugs everything off because whatever, we're a Marvel movie now.

For games with such huge body counts, Rise and Shadow of the Tomb Raider are really toothless.

This, too. It's the orc problem; players of action games need a target to defeat, usually through killing, without feeling morally conflicted about it*. Sometimes, it's easy, because the devs can throw monsters and demons at the player. For more grounded games, you need to either have the player killing a group that either deserves it (used to be only nazis until Mafia 3 put klansmen on the table, and it was good), or a made up group of obvious bad guys, ideally wearing masks to dehumanize them even more. Even in the Hitman games, the targets are all people involved in shady poo poo at the very least. In the modern Tomb Raider games, they use Trinity to fill that role.

The problem is that they've used Trinity so much and at such a high body count that the organization would need the employment numbers of a small country just for logistics, let alone paramilitary personnel. A group that large would not be able to stay a secret society for long.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The logs in Rise show that the rank-and-file soldiers are mercenaries that don’t really know anything about their employer or why they want the artifact so bad, they’re just told to grab it and kill anyone who gets in the way

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mass Effect 2 is 10 years old so let's poo poo on that and see what parts haven't aged well.

* drat near every upgrade and resource chest are found in missions. If you miss something then you're piss out of luck. This is one of the few RPGs where it's possible to run out of money due it's strict structure.

* The game originally meant for you to recruit all 12 allies in any order, before technical compromises, which means they can't have any rapport with one another outside of the two argument scenes i.e. the Octopath problem.

* You could have easily rewritten the plot so that it doesn't discard your accomplishment from the previous game. Killing Shepard and then reviving Shepard feels like the asinine twist JJ Abrams would use. Its a feat that looks dramatic but doesn't service the overaching story in any way.

* The game really stumbles when you're not shooting anything. Hacking is awful, resource-mining is as fun as it sounds, and while I liked the Hammerhead most hated it for being made of glass and highly combustible.

* Tali, Jacob, Miranda, Thane and arguably more all share the same dramatic crutch " daddy issues".

* It was really stupid having such an event like "Shepard blows up a colony" pushed into a cheap DLC to set up the next game only to be immediately forgotten.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Inspector Gesicht posted:

* You could have easily rewritten the plot so that it doesn't discard your accomplishment from the previous game. Killing Shepard and then reviving Shepard feels like the asinine twist JJ Abrams would use. Its a feat that looks dramatic but doesn't service the overaching story in any way.

I could never figure out why they didn't just put Shepard in a coma or something simple. Why did they have to legitimately, stone cold loving DIE and then....get resurrected? For a Christ analogy I guess? It's such an overcomplicated premise that immediately raises too many worldbuild breaking questions. "Oh we can't do it again because it cost too much." If you just put Shepard in a loving coma and you wouldn't have to explain ANYTHING and it would have served the same purpose.

Bioware dumb.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mass Effect 2 is 10 years old so let's poo poo on that and see what parts haven't aged well.

* drat near every upgrade and resource chest are found in missions. If you miss something then you're piss out of luck. This is one of the few RPGs where it's possible to run out of money due it's strict structure.

* The game originally meant for you to recruit all 12 allies in any order, before technical compromises, which means they can't have any rapport with one another outside of the two argument scenes i.e. the Octopath problem.

* The game really stumbles when you're not shooting anything. Hacking is awful, resource-mining is as fun as it sounds, and while I liked the Hammerhead most hated it for being made of glass and highly combustible.

* Tali, Jacob, Miranda, Thane and arguably more all share the same dramatic crutch " daddy issues".

* It was really stupid having such an event like "Shepard blows up a colony" pushed into a cheap DLC to set up the next game only to be immediately forgotten.

The Hammerhead loving sucks, the Mako was the best

Killing Shepard is funny at least for in ME3 when they go "wait was it really that bad wow" on the Cerberus lab because I guess they never thought about how bad getting blown up, vented into space, then re-entering the atmosphere and cratering would gently caress a body up

I always just pretended he biotic barriered himself extra good or something

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mass Effect 2 best video game ever.

Besides chest high wall cover shooting, the plot development is what dragged the ME series down for me after the first game, but that's not exactly a little thing :v:

orcane has a new favorite as of 17:26 on Feb 14, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Crowetron posted:

Oddly, Uncharted 4 had the exact opposite problem because the game hinged entirely on me caring about Drake's super-cool brother who had strangely never been mentioned before but is actually responsible for every decision Drake ever made, trust us. But he was a completely unlikable rear end in a top hat with the world's shallowest motivations. The only bad things that would happen if the baddies got to the treasure first is that a character I hated would've died and a rich jerk would've become slightly richer. And even then they reveal that the threat on the brother's life was a lie made up by the lovely brother, so who cares?

One thing I was a little disappointing about in the Uncharted series in general is the decrease in the mystical stuff.

The first one had, essentially, zombies. Clearly some ancient civilization magic.

The second one had this not-entirely-but-could-be-magic tree resin. You eat it, and you become super-strong and hard to kill. All the ancient Shambala/Shangri-La inhabitants that ate it turned into large, ape-men, so I guess it also does that? Not explicitly magic, but could be?

The third one had what looked like some sort of genie/Djinn thing, but it was just basically magic mushrooms magic people trip balls and think it was a Djinn. And then it seemed like Talbot was, like, magic? He died but didn't, and kind of teleported? But that was just bad writing and sloppy cut-scene editing! :haw:

And I never finished the fourth but I don't think it even does a bait-and-switch with the mystical like 4 does? It's just "here's your brother, go find the ancient treasure together."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Rise of the Tomb Raider is almost bonkers in that regard, like, the DLC is full of Baba Yaga's hut stomping around and you fighting dead people and zombie wolves while she flies around in a cauldron, but it turns out to just be an old lady using everyday stuff + weaponized hallucinogens. But then the regular game's just straight-up got immortality and undead warriors and all that.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the worst thing in Shadow of the Tomb Raider is Lara constantly referring to a group of what are very obviously people in big hats as "creatures"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider is almost bonkers in that regard, like, the DLC is full of Baba Yaga's hut stomping around and you fighting dead people and zombie wolves while she flies around in a cauldron, but it turns out to just be an old lady using everyday stuff + weaponized hallucinogens. But then the regular game's just straight-up got immortality and undead warriors and all that.

I kinda liked that there was someone doing some Scooby Doo rear end stuff in the middle of a giant supernatural conspiracy. It made it almost actually a twist.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I kinda liked that there was someone doing some Scooby Doo rear end stuff in the middle of a giant supernatural conspiracy. It made it almost actually a twist.

That's true, I guess I was just a little disappointed the first time around since I knew the game got into real supernatural stuff, but it is pretty funny when you put it that way.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

One thing I was a little disappointing about in the Uncharted series in general is the decrease in the mystical stuff.

Same, but with Wolfenstein.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Any game or movie where there’s magic monsters or demons and yet the rest of the world doesn’t know they exist,pisses me off.
Umbrella corporation are shambolic idiots but their experiments always escaping and none of it being even the slightest bit under wraps actually is totally right.

“Oh there’s a magic spear in a chest in a cave 5 minutes from civilization that you could rule the world with if you just went and got it? Nah i’m fine thanks”.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Any game or movie where there’s magic monsters or demons and yet the rest of the world doesn’t know they exist,pisses me off.
Umbrella corporation are shambolic idiots but their experiments always escaping and none of it being even the slightest bit under wraps actually is totally right.

“Oh there’s a magic spear in a chest in a cave 5 minutes from civilization that you could rule the world with if you just went and got it? Nah i’m fine thanks”.

I like how that culminates in RE6 with UN backed anti-zombie forces and terrorists that keep making zombie gas bombs with some of the terrorists making themselves tyrants because why wouldn't you be a smart super-zombie that can almost never die unless a man with huge biceps grapples you

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crowetron posted:

That was the point of the game though? When you reach the pirate city Drake discover that Tew and Avery got increasingly paranoid and crazy because they both wanted the treasure. Nadine even points out that Drake and Rafe is doing the exact thing that Tew and Avery did and it ended with both of them dead. The point of the game is that finding the treasure was pontless and that makes Drake retire.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The logs in Rise show that the rank-and-file soldiers are mercenaries that don’t really know anything about their employer or why they want the artifact so bad, they’re just told to grab it and kill anyone who gets in the way
If I remember correctly one log also talk about one merc who realized exactly what he has gotten himself into and is freaking out because of it.

BioEnchanted posted:

Jonah actually says to Lara that she has no way of telling that the various stuff that happens is explicitly supernatural.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Feb 14, 2020

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DrBouvenstein posted:

The first one had, essentially, zombies. Clearly some ancient civilization magic.

The second one had this not-entirely-but-could-be-magic tree resin. You eat it, and you become super-strong and hard to kill. All the ancient Shambala/Shangri-La inhabitants that ate it turned into large, ape-men, so I guess it also does that? Not explicitly magic, but could be?

The third one had what looked like some sort of genie/Djinn thing, but it was just basically magic mushrooms magic people trip balls and think it was a Djinn. And then it seemed like Talbot was, like, magic? He died but didn't, and kind of teleported? But that was just bad writing and sloppy cut-scene editing! :haw:

And I never finished the fourth but I don't think it even does a bait-and-switch with the mystical like 4 does? It's just "here's your brother, go find the ancient treasure together."

It was always a fakeout in Uncharted. The zombies are implied to be the result of an ancient virus or bacteria that spread from the corpses. The ShangriLa inhabitants are, as you say, eating super soldier tree resin. I thought the devs might have the guts to commit fully to magic in Uncharted 3 but nah it was just a drug hallucination.

That was probably what disappointed me most about U3 even though it wasnt out of character or unexpected.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Jonah actually says to Lara that she has no way of telling that the various stuff that happens is explicitly supernatural.
if he keeps that up after some of the events in Rise, Jonah has had one too many loving knocks to the head

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

if he keeps that up after some of the events in Rise, Jonah has had one too many loving knocks to the head

He's like Indiana Jones, his belief system resets after the end credits.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Jonah is just so fed up with Lara's poo poo. All he wants is to chill out with his inked girfriend but here comes Lara and he have to tag along to stop yet another apocalypse.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I actually looked up the etymology of Apocalypse and wish media would use it in an unusual way. The original greek comes from "Uncover", it's a word with the literal meaning revelation, not an ending. Apo means Un- and Kaluptein means To Cover. Apokaluptein, the ancient greek word that became apocalypse, is not anything being destroyed but a revelation of some kind particularly in the context of going beyond the veil, and I wish more things would take that angle. Like go full Lovecraftian, an Apocalypse hits a small island because of the character but instead of destroying the island completely it tears a few layers of reality away and she goes to a literal afterlife to fight a minor deity, or it uncovers a city or machine or something that's ridiculously advanced, just the last thing you'd expect to see in the location it appears in. They are triggering apocalpyses left and right but what it really means is that our view of the world ends and we learn more about it's true nature. You could even work it into Ragnarok, the end of what we thought we knew, but the beginning of a new age.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wolfenstein Youngblood has very poor weapon tactile ness. These huge guns sound tiny and do less. Wolfenstein 2 was worse than the first and Youngblood is falling further.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
A shrimpy youngblood, if you will

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

For Red Dead Redemption 2 I kinda know its the point of the series in general, but after the last bit of the Epilogue and such, I want to switch back and go with Arthur and do the free roam at the wilderness and do the rest of the side quests, since the RDR2 is a story about him.

Since we already know what happens in RDR1, why should I give a drat about what happens with the John Marston before his game happens? He gets out, tries to settle down, fails at that, is hosed by the government, and goes on the mission to bring down the rest of the gang. Blackwater, the rest of the map could open up for the end-of-story mode regardless.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Feb 14, 2020

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Alhazred posted:

That was the point of the game though? When you reach the pirate city Drake discover that Tew and Avery got increasingly paranoid and crazy because they both wanted the treasure. Nadine even points out that Drake and Rafe is doing the exact thing that Tew and Avery did and it ended with both of them dead. The point of the game is that finding the treasure was pontless and that makes Drake retire.

Sure, but again, that's also the point of Uncharted 3. Drake even walks away from the experience having learned the same lesson. 4 just does the same thing again but worse.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Dammit, Control, I want to listen to your audio logs, but I can't play them while I'm running around.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I'm wondering if part of this was that the save importing was a hackjob.

ME1 was never intended to be the start of a series from the jump, and they suffered because of it; the reason you're asked those questions in the shuttle to 'check what you remember' is because ME1 never actually saved any endgame state, so it picks up from the end boss autosave before you make the final choices.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason they did the whole 'reconstruct Shepard from the ground up' thing was because they thought they couldn't get the facial creation stuff right, so they built in the excuse that, oh yeah, you got hosed up and needed reconstructive surgery, that's why you might not look the same. Saints Row 2 pulled the same excuse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's also an annoyance with Saints Row 2. Because since you can do any of the three gangs in any order this means that the character designated for each gang doesn't appear in any of the other gang missions.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Hey, Thane doesn't have daddy issues, he is the daddy issue :colbert:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

Dammit, Control, I want to listen to your audio logs, but I can't play them while I'm running around.

This bugs me in so many games. Same for games with unlockable music tracks that you can only listen to by sitting in the menu.

Cleretic posted:

I'm wondering if part of this was that the save importing was a hackjob.

ME1 was never intended to be the start of a series from the jump, and they suffered because of it; the reason you're asked those questions in the shuttle to 'check what you remember' is because ME1 never actually saved any endgame state, so it picks up from the end boss autosave before you make the final choices.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason they did the whole 'reconstruct Shepard from the ground up' thing was because they thought they couldn't get the facial creation stuff right, so they built in the excuse that, oh yeah, you got hosed up and needed reconstructive surgery, that's why you might not look the same. Saints Row 2 pulled the same excuse.

There's also the narrative problem of Cerberus being pre-established as basically Umbrella Inc. in space that also happens to be racist. In order for Shepard to not gun them all down on sight (at least until the 3rd act or so), they needed a reason for her to owe them big time.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Assassin's Creed Odyssey sure has a lot of dog enemies. Not even just wolves, but like, domesticated dogs belonging to enemy groups. They're good at finding you if you're trying to sneak around and they quickly alert everyone around if they do... so I've had to kill a lot of big doofy retrievers and bloodhounds. And it's actually worse if you take them out non-lethally, because an unconscious dog will continue to constantly make whimpering dog-pain noises. :( You can knock one out and then tame it for yourself, but you need to spend a skill point for it and even then can only have one at a time.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

muscles like this! posted:

That's also an annoyance with Saints Row 2. Because since you can do any of the three gangs in any order this means that the character designated for each gang doesn't appear in any of the other gang missions.

This wasn't really a problem for me on the first go around, but I'd much prefer a system like that again to the straight linear story from 3. Gives the player a slight bit more agency.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Crowetron posted:

This bugs me in so many games. Same for games with unlockable music tracks that you can only listen to by sitting in the menu.

There's also the narrative problem of Cerberus being pre-established as basically Umbrella Inc. in space that also happens to be racist. In order for Shepard to not gun them all down on sight (at least until the 3rd act or so), they needed a reason for her to owe them big time.

It always drove me a bit nuts that you couldn’t properly respond to characters that gave you poo poo for working for cereberus. Like, Shepard was dead, he didn’t really get a say in the matter. Does mowing them down in the first game mean nothing, Ashley? Does it?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The drop rate on items in the Final Fantasy IV remake is the worst.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The photo mode in Assassin's Creed Origins's Photo Mode isn't very good. There are no buttons to raise or lower the camera (so you have to point it and the ground and move 'forward' to lower it). Plus there's no button to hide the interface so you have to wait ten seconds for it to disappear.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there seems to be a running trend of throaty narrator characters in roguelikes and the one in Children of Morta is trying way too hard

it's especially jarring coming after Hades, which is just the right balance of portentous and irreverent

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Still dragging down Division 2: Still no red hair options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

This wasn't really a problem for me on the first go around, but I'd much prefer a system like that again to the straight linear story from 3. Gives the player a slight bit more agency.
I think it's a bit wasted in SR2 anyway though, since there's an obviously correct way to do it. Maero's offer in the first Brotherhood mission makes no sense if you've already taken down either of the other two gangs and the Ronin storyline leads directly into the Ultor one, so it's obviously got to be Brotherhood first, Samedi second, Ronin third. You could do them simultaneously but then that causes more Pushbacks to occur, which is a nuisance. Being able to pick seems neat but I don't think it really end up adding any value.