Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Does anyone know how I can find copies of the 1987 BBC documentary series called Secret Society? There are only extracts that exist on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Ugh the TERFs are posting a load of shite on my CLP Facebook group and I don’t feel like i can respond because they are already complaining that everyone pushing back on them is a man

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

namesake posted:

Still feel significant grief it wasn't Corbyn and Trump briefly before Corbyn and Sanders.

That pinkovision jam comic was too pure to exist in reality :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Ugh the TERFs are posting a load of shite on my CLP Facebook group and I don’t feel like i can respond because they are already complaining that everyone pushing back on them is a man

That's sort of the point of being a terf, yes :v:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Start with RLBs statements and take it from there?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I am currently battering down the TERF that popped up on my CLP Facebook group because he is a man and if there's one thing that sets me right off it's male TERFs telling me, a cis woman who treasures and supports her trans friends and family, that their shitheadery is for my benefit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I found a new av for VideoGames.

floofyscorp posted:

I am currently battering down the TERF that popped up on my CLP Facebook group because he is a man
That's a FART.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

I found a new av for VideoGames.

I would 100% use that.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

floofyscorp posted:

I am currently battering down the TERF that popped up on my CLP Facebook group because he is a man and if there's one thing that sets me right off it's male TERFs telling me, a cis woman who treasures and supports her trans friends and family, that their shitheadery is for my benefit.

Yeah, most of the TERF complaints we've received at the Rebecca campaign have been from men.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's worth pointing out that the commitment is just to expel people for being overtly transphobic.

You can have polite-but-TERFy disagreements about who exactly is trans and cis or puberty blockers or whatever, but it just puts trans rights in the party on the same level as LGB rights, where you can disagree with same sex marriage and so on but can't go around saying "they're all sick and need sterilizing plus most are pedos" or other hate speech.

So it's almost like the people complaining don't want to defend the rights of 'biological females', they just want the personal right to be cunts to trans people.

:thunk:

(It won't change their minds in the slightest, but it might make the audience consider what type of person they are if they double down.)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Apraxin posted:

Freed of the shackles of the EU, Britain is now in an excellent position to negotiate a favourable trade deal with the US, especially because of Prime Minister Johnson’s excellent personal relationship with President Trump!
https://mobile.twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1228300472014032898
Ah.

I admit to knowing nothing about negotiating international trade deals but would their level of friendship actually have anything to do with it? I'd have thought it would have been handled by a load of experts and then those two would declare it an amazing deal even if it was poo poo.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Trump is an infant so he absolutely would refuse to grant a trade deal on favourable terms because of personal dislike of Boris.

P sure historically with other countries the personal dealings of leaders has very much come into it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bessantj posted:

I admit to knowing nothing about negotiating international trade deals but would their level of friendship actually have anything to do with it? I'd have thought it would have been handled by a load of experts and then those two would declare it an amazing deal even if it was poo poo.

lol, you think America and Britain have trade experts.

Trump gutted the US State Department, and the UK has had the EU do trade negotiations on its behalf for decades.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bessantj posted:

True but the Yes Minister quote springs to mind about prime ministerial meetings undoing two years of careful diplomacy.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

bessantj posted:

Trump will just poo poo all over the carefully negotiated deal if he doesn't like Bojo's face on the day of the signing. For that matter, he'll just tell his underlings to stop working on the deal if he doesn't like Bojo's face at any point before then.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 14, 2020

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

StarkingBarfish posted:

The impact statement bit actually worries me a little. In the past everyone I know (including panel members for a few grants) used to say 'as long as you have something in there we basically ignore it when making the funding decision'. I think the point is that now, impact goes in the case for support, which means it's part of the proposal proper and can't really be isolated.

Let's see how it shakes out in reality, but even if it technically becomes part of the case for support, presumably whoever is on the panel can still say "the impact statement paragraph is minimally adequate, moving on"

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford...uffle-live-news

This isn't satire.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Chuka Umana posted:

Does anyone know how I can find copies of the 1987 BBC documentary series called Secret Society? There are only extracts that exist on the internet.

UPDATE: See my post further down - found them all.

I think you might find them on web archive. If you go on Duncan Cambell's website, 'right click and view page source and look for .swf files in the web archive, you can pick up URLs there.

This is the point at which I fell foul of the Adult Filter which my ISP has applied to https://www.archive.org for some reason and has cost me 45 minutes of my life trying to get a wretched password to my online ISP account which it would appear is busily sending texts to the SIM in my router which obviously I am going to have to find a phone to fit the sim in to read the bloody thing.
Having a computer is becoming more and more of an oddity in this beknighted land as everyone assumes everyone is using a mobile phone.

Ed: fortunately I have a second internet connection (with the same ISP) which didn't block the archive site:

Here you go:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130727022331/http://www.duncancampbell.org/content/secret-society

(The first video Secret Cabinet Committees is missing but the rest seem to be there).

Secret Cabinet Committees was remade for Channel 4 in 1991 and is here: https://web.archive.org/web/20131011013323/http://www.duncancampbell.org/content/secret-cabinet-committees-remake

Not sure if they're actually playing though! Seem to take forever to load! Sorry - I think they're all broken.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 14, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Satire died when DCFADP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is the point at which I fell foul of the Adult Filter which my ISP has applied to https://www.archive.org for some reason and has cost me 45 minutes of my life trying to get a wretched password to my online ISP account which it would appear is busily sending texts to the SIM in my router which obviously I am going to have to find a phone to fit the sim in to read the bloody thing.
Can't you read the texts on your router?

Every router or homething I've had that took a SIM had an SMS page.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 14, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Can't you read the texts on your router?

Every router or homething I've had that took a SIM had an SMS page.

I need the password to get into it LOL

Ed: I hadn't got round to setting it up online yet as I only had this router a couple of months and so I never had a password to forget!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 14, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Chuka Umana posted:

Save keep editing my one up a bit:

Here's Secret Cabinet Committees (the BBC one) and you can also download it

https://archive.org/details/SecretSociety-Part1SecretConstitution

Here's all of them I think:

https://archive.org/details/SecretSocietyTVSeries

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

quote:

A British man stuck with his wife onboard a cruise ship quarantined off the coast of Japan because of the coronavirus outbreak has criticised Boris Johnson and appealed to billionaire Richard Branson to save them.

David Abel, who is on the Diamond Princess ship with his wife Sally where more than 200 people have been diagnosed with the disease, said despite being a “staunch Tory” he had “no confidence” in the prime minister.

Abel said: “When he [Johnson] just says ‘keep calm, don’t panic’ - I’d like to see you in this situation, mate. I really would.”

In a Facebook live video, he also appealed for Virgin boss Branson to charter a plane to fly all British nationals on the ship home to carry out their quarantine.

He appealed directly to Branson, saying: “If you and your family were in this situation, what would you do? And please don’t say ‘chill out, stay calm’, that’s not what we want to hear.

I’m asking, what would it cost to hire one of your smaller planes, put all the Brits onboard, no flight attendants, packaged food?

Take us to Brize Norton, take us straight into the medical facility and let us do our quarantine there by people who can speak our language.”
A staunch Tory voter you say, I would never have guessed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lack of enterprising spirit IMO, just do what brits are supposed to do when they go to other places, colonize one of the rooms and start putting up flags everywhere and being racist at people. You don't need richard branson to fly you somewhere to do that.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Please sir, let me die of Queen's English pneumonia as God intended

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Richard Branson should do a counter livestream where he justs rants about what a dick that guy is. Might make me briefly not hate him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Lack of enterprising spirit IMO, just do what brits are supposed to do when they go to other places, colonize one of the rooms and start putting up flags everywhere and being racist at people. You don't need richard branson to fly you somewhere to do that.
Bold assumption that he's not already doing that.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

forkboy84 posted:

Ask them what you get in exchange for losing freedom to move and signing a new contract. Speak to your union rep as well, of you've got one.

Thank you (and the others) for the reassurance, sadly no union option but solidarity with my workmate in the same position sounds good. What's the worst they can do, give me my notice?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Apraxin posted:

A staunch Tory voter you say, I would never have guessed.

So much for his blitz spirit. loving snowflakes, i swear to god.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

This wouldn't have happened if we still had the empire imho

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

So much for his blitz spirit. loving snowflakes, i swear to god.

I am starting to wonder if them being continually angrier that they still aren't young and the world makes sense to them again is going to have worse complications than we already live with.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

love too appeal to a random uninvolved billionaire for help

at least your feudal lord had a nominal obligation to your wellbeing

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

She's called Coventina.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

love too appeal to a random uninvolved billionaire for help

Elon Musk is hatching a plan as we speak.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

escapegoat posted:

200 remote flying tubes that the infected can climb in, before blasting off into the stratosphere and gracefully landing in a British quarantine zone.

And then calling anyone who points out that its; A) basically a missile, and B) dumb - a nonce.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Labour activist expelled for supposed 'anti-semitism' has died possibly as a result of brain haemorrhage brought on by shock of expulsion.

quote:

The Witch Hunt may now have taken its heaviest possible price February 14, 2020
by Martin Odoni

Pauline Hammerton, a long-term Labour activist from Hulme in Manchester, was fast-track-expelled from the party on the 4th of February for supposed ‘anti-Semitism’ – in reality, just for her support for the Palestinian people, who are being slowly crushed by Zionist occupation.

Pauline was found dead just seven days later. She had been left distraught by her expulsion, and although the cause-of-death has not yet been confirmed, the suspicion is that she suffered a haemorrhage brought on by the shock.

I had met Pauline a few times at demos and other meetings, and so, although I did not know her well, her death has come as a shock, to me personally, and to other activists across the north-west. Her dedication to justice was tremendous, and the callous mistreatment she received from a party that she had given so much to must have been the bitterest blow imaginable.

The deceitfulness and irresponsibility of the witch-hunt against scarcely-existent anti-Semitism in the Labour Party, carried out by Anglo-Zionist fanatics both outside and within that party, have badly damaged the lives of many innocent people. But now they appear to have taken the heaviest possible toll of all – an innocent life.

I do not expect the consciences of smear merchants like Margaret Hodge, Luciana Berger, Wes Streeting, David Collier, Zvi Solomons, Jonathan Hoffman, Ian Austin, and others of their ilk, to be tweaked in the slightest by this. Like all fanatics, they do not have consciences, no interest in right or wrong, only a blind hunger for power for the movement into which they have buried their individuality. They will probably relish the knowledge of their ability to destroy lives. At best, they will say, “Well, we’re very sorry to hear that this has happened, but…” before offering a nauseatingly dishonest list of reasons why this proves that people should not condemn Israel.

The Zionist lobby in the UK has always been amoral, indifferent to human lives, and only interested in ethics when they can be used as a weapon against opponents. But this marks the point at which the smear campaign has crossed the line. Their irresponsible aggression against innocent people to advance their failed ideology has now become a life-and-death matter in Britain, as it has long been in Palestine.

The question is, how do the rest of us respond?

In memoriam
Pauline Hammerton, rest in peace.

Correction: This article had previously indicated that Pauline was expelled on the 7th February. In fact, her letter of expulsion was sent on the 4th of February, and the 7th was apparently the date she opened it.

thegreatcritique.wordpress.com/2020/02/14/the-witch-hunt-may-now-have-taken-its-heaviest-possible-price/

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

escapegoat posted:

I mean he already has a submarine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Elon musk torpedoes the cruise liner in a attempt to rescue the poor british holidaymaker pedo guys.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't think that it's possible for bad people to stop doing bad things without the use of violence

This discussion all got very metaphysical but isn't this way too pessimistic? Aren't there plenty of charities that are successful in turning people away from gang violence etc.? Think there are some counter-extremism ones also?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Prince John posted:

This discussion all got very metaphysical but isn't this way too pessimistic? Aren't there plenty of charities that are successful in turning people away from gang violence etc.? Think there are some counter-extremism ones also?

If it were possible on a larger scale you'd be coining it. Fact is that even outreach can only do so much.