Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

This account was written by Imad al-Din al-Isfahani, a friend and chancellor of Saladin, as part of his History of the Fall of Jerusalem. It describes the arrival of “Frankish” (term used by Muslims that really meant Christian European) women in Jerusalem during the Crusades. It is quite an exciting read. His hate-boner is impressive.

I love reading the defamatory, hate-filled rants written by medieval Muslims about Christians, and vice-versa. It’s just over the top.

there's a YouTube channel called voices of the past on which some guy reads primary sources out loud

there are some pretty good ones with medieval Muslims describing Vikings and how they were disgusting barbarians

also the travelers who visit Scandinavia invariably claim to see where the sun rises out of the sea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I couldn’t just get the YouTube link on my phone, but here’s Peter Capaldi doing a dramatic reading of a thread favorite.

https://dailyblocks.com/r/videos/comments/cooljg/peter_capaldi_reads_a_hilarious_historical_letter/

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ibrahim ibn Yaqub al-Tartushi posted:

“Slesvig (Hedeby) is a very large town at the extreme end of the world ocean…. The inhabitants worship Sirius, except for a minority of Christians who have a church of their own there…. He who slaughters a sacrificial animal puts up poles at the door to his courtyard and impales the animal on them, be it a piece of cattle, a ram, billy goat or a pig so that his neighbors will be aware that he is making a sacrifice in honor of his god. The town is poor in goods and riches. People eat mainly fish which exist in abundance. Babies are thrown into the sea for reasons of economy. The right to divorce belongs to the women…. Artificial eye make-up is another peculiarity; when they wear it their beauty never disappears, indeed it is enhanced in both men and women. Further: Never did I hear singing fouler than that of these people, it is a rumbling emanating from their throats, similar to that of a dog but even more bestial.”

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

System Metternich posted:

Guys, I just found the most wonderful thing! Evliya Çelebi (1611–after 1683) was an Ottoman author who penned the Seyahatnâme ('Book of Travels'), a ten-volume magnum opus in which he recounts his travels throughout the Ottoman Empire and its neighbouring countries. It's a really interesting text (which sadly hasn't been translated yet in its entirety into English or German) and also hilarious, because Çelebi was either the most gullible person alive or just full of poo poo - his chapter on Vienna tells of robot elephants, wizard surgeons and 1,000 monks slumming it in the tower of St Stephen's, for example :v: He also added a short chapter on the German language to his book, which I'll post here courtesy of Robert Dankoff & Sooyong Kim's An Ottoman Traveler. Selections from the Book of Travels of Evliya Çelebi, pp. 238-240.

quote:

Chapter: the ancient language of German

Some call it Nemçe, others Ungur, because it spans the provinces of Hungary (Ungurus), Germany (Alaman) and (—). It is an ancient Christian country that boasts its state goes back 2,600 years. Indeed, it is a powerful state that claims parity with the Ottomans and the kings of Muscovy. It is under the supervision of the Seven Kings. When one king dies, the others meet together with the emperor of this German Kaiser [!] and with his permission choose another king to take his place. First the king of Dunkerque, and the kings of Denmark, Holland, Czechia, Poland, (—) and (—) are all subject to the German Kaiser. In war time, each king comes to the Kaiser’s aid with 100,000 troops.

Yet the king of Sweden - which is on the shore of the Baltic Sea opposite the New World - has been able to terrify and harass the German Kaiser despite his 700,000 troops; because the Swedish king possesses 1,200,000 troops of Tatar nomads, plus other infidels whose number God only knows. There has been continual warfare between Germany and Sweden for the past 127 years. Only recently, in fact, the Swedes took seven fortresses from the Germans, who report that each one was worth the seven climes.

‘Indeed,’ they say, ‘we have concluded this peace with the Turks only because we have to deal with the Swedes. Otherwise, do you think we would make peace with the Turks after the Battle on the Raab (when we defeated them so soundly)?’

The Swedes pass as Christians and read the Gospel, but their language is different - I will record it in its place, God willing. They are, however, fire-worshippers (i.e., heretics) of the Protestant sect, while the Germans are true Christians and followers of the Gospel of the Catholic sect - i.e., the sect of the pope. The German language, however, is not the Spanish language of the pope. It is a very heavy language, which also has many Persian expressions; because the Germans too came from Persia with the descendents of Manuchahr.

As I mentioned above, because David played the organ and recited the Psalter, the scriptures that were revealed to the prophet David have been translated into German, and they sing psalms with the organ accompaniment. Here is one such verse from the Psalter in German: Fin sonderbares andaştiges gebet cuder alarheyligsten unt siligten yugunt firav Marya hilf avef den kapuçinar berkopa {meaning, fortress} soson. It is a hymn to Jesus and to Mother Mary. Indeed, it is recited in a loud voice by the monks as they pass through the streets and go from church to church with their cross-adorned banners and flags and with their organs. But when they sing this hymn in marvellous fashion, in the rehavi musical mode, it stuns the listener.

Another verse from the Psalter, a prayer to Jesus, as translated into German: Daler furtireflihste golorvirdiyaste alarheyligste ale çeyt unbeflekste yugunt firav Marya an matre unserris herres Yezu kirisiti in renigin der velt unt hersir in alarkiraaturen melke duniyemant verlest niyemant verehst avih niyemant ver cu dir mit raynin irt nirgend unt busfertigen Kot {that is God} Marya Firav {Mother Mary}. When the monks and boys with their sweet and mournful voices sing these precious words of the Psalter to the accompaniment of the organ, one feels intoxicated with love. For one’s heart expands when these verses are sung in the sofiyane meter according to the science of music.

As for the German language ... First, when the Germans reckon in buying and selling they count as follows: ans 1 isçpa 2 tiray 3 fir 4 finf 5 sekes 6 siben 7 ahet 8 nayin 9 çen 10 çiyançet 20 tiraysik 30 firçik 40 fufçik 50 siyihçik 60.

burot bread bosir water vayin wine lihit candle lihter candlestick meser knife feder pen fin tirdid penbox and pen tinte ink papir paper kot God marya Mother Mary kositin opol sultan of Istanbul çasar king inpirator king of kings lipolda inpirator engur Hungarian king of the Germans pampol cotton kam her Come here segnide Sit down niksi There isn’t uskut It is good na mayin hurbu No my lord may firav my wife yug firav my daughter furta flee! mayn foder my father mayn puluda my brother geher kilani Come little one geher may herec Come my dear por pisli Stay a while kolt common gold dukat gold piece taler royal piaster qiraliçqa two pennies engörleş penny.

(When you speak German, you also realise that he is also hilariously mistaken about many of his translations)

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

(When you speak German, you also realise that he is also hilariously mistaken about many of his translations)
[/quote]

Mayn kot! I love old descriptions of far away places, you can tell he's got the basics but a lot is just made up or he's been fed bullshit by some German who found it funny to prank the foreigner. The German transcription is hilarious tho.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
What makes the translations so funny? Are they just comically inaccurate?

Here’s some interesting excerpts from the autobiography of Usama ibn-Munqidh, a 12th century Syrian nobleman. The first is him recounting a story told by a Middle-Eastern Christian physician named Thabit who was called to administer to some patients in modern-day Lebanon, and was unimpressed by a European physician who was hired for the same task.

quote:

They brought before me a knight in whose leg an abscess had grown; and a woman afflicted with imbecility. To the knight I applied a small poultice until the abscess opened and became well; and the woman I put on diet and made her humour wet. Then a Frankish physician came to them and said, 'This man knows nothing about treating them.' He then said to the knight 'Which wouldst you prefer, living with one leg or dying with two?' The latter replied, 'Living with one leg.' The physician said, 'Bring me a strong knight and a sharp axe.' A knight came with the axe. And I was standing by. Then the physician laid the leg of the patient on a block of wood and bade the knight strike his leg with the axe and chop it off at one blow. Accordingly he struck it--while I was looking on--one blow, but the leg was not severed. He dealt another blow, upon which the marrow of the leg flowed out and the patient died on the spot. He then examined the woman and said, 'This is a woman in whose head there is a devil which has possessed her. Shave off her hair.' Accordingly they shaved it off and the woman began once more to eat their ordinary diet--garlic and mustard. Her imbecility took a turn for the worse. The physician then said, 'The devil has penetrated through her head.' He therefore took a razor, made a deep cruciform incision on it, peeled off the skin at the middle of the incision until the bone of the skull was exposed and rubbed it with salt. The woman also expired instantly. Thereupon I asked them whether my services were needed any longer, and when they replied in the negative I returned home, having learned of their medicine what I knew not before."

In this excerpt, he talks about the cuckold nature of Franks.

quote:

The Franks are void of all zeal and jealousy. One of them may be walking along with his wife. He meets another man who takes the wife by the hand and steps aside to converse with her while the husband is standing on one side waiting for his wife to conclude the conversation. If she lingers too long for him, he leaves her alone with the conversant and goes away.

Here is an illustration which I myself witnessed:
When I used to visit Nablus, I always took lodging with a man named Mu'izz, whose home was a lodginghouse for the Moslems. The house had windows which opened to the road, and there stood opposite to it on the other side of the road a house belonging to a Frank who sold wine for the merchants. He would take some wine in a bottle and go around announcing it by shouting, "So and so, the merchant, has just opened a cask full of this wine. He who wants to buy some of it will find it in such and such a place." The Frank's pay for the announcement made would be the wine in that bottle. One day this Frank went home and found a man with his wife in the same bed. He asked him, "What could have made you enter into my wife's room?" The man replied, "I was tired, so I went in to rest." "But how," asked he, "did you get into my bed?" The other replied, well, I found a bed that was spread, so I slept in it." "But," said he, "my wife was sleeping together with you!" The other replied, "Well, the bed is hers. How could I therefore have prevented her from using her own bed?" "By the truth of my religion," said the husband, "if you should do it again, you and I would have a quarrel." Such was for the Frank the entire expression of his disapproval and the limit of his jealousy. . . .

I hope this post isn’t stretching the boundaries of this thread too much. They’re not exactly fun facts, but I thought they were amusing short anecdotes that bring the past a little closer.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It's more that it's like an extreme eye dialect, from a point in time where eye dialect wasn't a writing convention. You can HEAR his accent in it and it's silly/charming.

Though as a whole the translations are either "immediately clear with a very heavy accent" or "absurdly garbled, bears no resemblance to any words remotely involved"

Mister Olympus has a new favorite as of 07:17 on Feb 14, 2020

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Çelebi covered basically all the translations pitfalls you can step into. 1. He obviously couldn't read the Latin script and therefore was 100% reliant on what he heard, 2. He didn't realise that the people he met were speaking Viennese and not standard German (which didn't really exist as a spoken language back then anyways) and 3. He had to make everything he heard conform to the rules of his own language because some German sounds just don't exist in Ottoman Turkish, it seems. This is how you get isçpa for "two" (somebody went "✌️ is zwa" and he just went with it) or por pisli for "stay a while" which is probably supposed to be the Viennese "woat a bissl" (standard German: warte ein bisschen) which I'd rather translate as "wait a bit". Also the psalms he mentions aren't actually psalms at all - the first one actually translates to "A marvellous and pious prayer to the most holy and blessed Virgin Mariahilf at the Capuchin Mountain in Passau" for example, i.e. the title of a prayerbook.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Being a travel writer back in the day must have been a cool job. you tell everyone back home you're going to some far away place, then go half way there, hang around some court or tavern for a 6 months. Write down some stuff, make some stuff up. I'm sure those Swedes are essentially orcs and no ones gonna know better anyway. Go back home, be celebratet as a daring traveler and scientist.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fader Movitz posted:

Being a travel writer back in the day must have been a cool job. you tell everyone back home you're going to some far away place, then go half way there, hang around some court or tavern for a 6 months. Write down some stuff, make some stuff up. I'm sure those Swedes are essentially orcs and no ones gonna know better anyway. Go back home, be celebratet as a daring traveler and scientist.
That's what Adam of Bremen did. He probably only got to Denmark and got told some wild stories about the swedes and went home. There was also a chinese monk who went to Europe but he didn't know the language (he thought that the pope used his feet to crown kings) and was mainly interested In getting his hands on some holy relics so his notes is almost completely useless.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fader Movitz posted:

My favorite is the Chinese embassy to Rome that made it all the way to the eastern border of the empire and then gave up because they were told that the Mediterranean was too long and treacherous (during the golden age of the Roman Empire no less.) So they just turned around and went home with gossip and hearsay they picked up from around Syria. Which is still pretty impressive, mind you.

Gan Ying posted:

The Kingdom of Da Qin [the Roman Empire] is also called Lijian. As it is found to the west of the sea, it is also called the Kingdom of Haixi ("West of the Sea"). The territory extends for several thousands of li. It has more than four hundred walled towns. There are several tens of smaller dependent kingdoms. The walls of the towns are made of stone. They have established postal relays at intervals, which are all plastered and whitewashed. There are pines and cypresses, as well as trees and plants of all kinds.

Gan Ying posted:

Their kings are not permanent. They select and appoint the most worthy man. If there are unexpected calamities in the kingdom, such as frequent extraordinary winds or rains, he is unceremoniously rejected and replaced. The one who has been dismissed quietly accepts his demotion, and is not angry. The people of this country are all tall and honest. They resemble the people of the Middle Kingdom and that is why this kingdom is called Da Qin. This country produces plenty of gold [and] silver, [and of] rare and precious they have luminous jade, "bright moon pearls", Haiji rhinoceroses, coral, yellow amber, opaque glass, whitish chalcedony [i.e., langgan], red cinnabar, green gemstones, gold-thread embroideries, woven gold-threaded net, delicate polychrome silks painted with gold, and asbestos cloth.

Gan Ying posted:

They also have a fine cloth which some people say is made from the down of "water sheep", but which is made, in fact, from the cocoons of wild silkworms. They blend all sorts of fragrances, and by boiling the juice, make a compound perfume. [They have] all the precious and rare things that come from the various foreign kingdoms. They make gold and silver coins. Ten silver coins are worth one gold coin. They trade with Anxi and Tianzhu by sea. The profit margin is ten to one. ... The king of this country always wanted to send envoys to the Han, but Anxi, wishing to control the trade in multi-coloured Chinese silks, blocked the route to prevent [the Romans] getting through [to China].

Also, yes, they literally called Rome "Great China" or "Great China of the west" because they had no terms to describe an empire of that magnitude except the ones they used to describe their own.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I always liked what Pytheas* said of the Cornish, that they were very hospitable due to their frequent contact with traders from other countries. Not very brexity! :)

* Pytheas was a Greek geographer who circumnavigated Europe (out through the mediterranean, then up to England, then "Thule", the Baltics, and home via the Don river) in in the 4th century BC in search of the origin of amber. Sadly his writings were lost, but several later Greek and Roman geographers reference him, so some of their contents are known.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 17:31 on Feb 14, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This one remains the best:

John of Wallingford posted:

” The Danes …caused much trouble to the natives of the land; for they were wont, after the fashion of their country, to comb their hair every day, to bathe every Saturday, to change their garments often, and set off their persons by many frivolous devices. In this matter they laid siege to the virtue of the married woman, and persuaded the daughters even of the noble to be their concubines”.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Straight White Shark posted:

My favorite is the Chinese embassy to Rome that made it all the way to the eastern border of the empire and then gave up because they were told that the Mediterranean was too long and treacherous (during the golden age of the Roman Empire no less.) So they just turned around and went home with gossip and hearsay they picked up from around Syria. Which is still pretty impressive, mind you.

Also, yes, they literally called Rome "Great China" or "Great China of the west" because they had no terms to describe an empire of that magnitude except the ones they used to describe their own.

All of this seems accurate to me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

dont doxx me ;)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

dont doxx me ;)

Combing your hair nowadays is not as unique as you think it is.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

Combing your hair nowadays is not as unique as you think it is.

:rolleyes: everybody combs (fingers count as the teeth of a comb and thus your hand as one), i was talking about the bathing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That last Gan Ning quote seems weird- surely he'd know at least as much as romans about silk clothes and silk worms?

It's not for centuries yet that that the roman SAS finally steals the secret to making silk.

also, fun fact I just remembered: Adolf Hitler insisted to his death that his friends and lovers call him "Herr Wolf". Mighty anime button down energy there, mein führer.

e: Gan Ying, but Gan Ning was cooler by far

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Feb 15, 2020

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That last Gan Ning quote seems weird- surely he'd know at least as much as romans about silk clothes and silk worms?

The Parthians purposefully prevented Chinese and Roman traders from finding one another because it meant they could perpetually buy from one, claim they made it, and sell to the other.

Imagine a long caravan ride of "we're almost there, just 1 more hour!" as they lead the poor Chinese delegate around in circles, deliberately avoiding anything with Roman script.

The Chinese knew how silk was made.
They sold it to Parthians.
Parthians told Romans it comes from some secret water sheep, or something, so that the Romans don't try to farm silk themselves.
Romans with silk ultimately don't give a gently caress, they got silk.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

maybe gan ying didnt know where silk comes from. i mean the worms were a literal trade secret worth warring over so he could just be really curious nerd. like ask a 1800s person where their denim came from.

doesnt really matter if he paid for his entourage or an emperor did. i would make that trip, either direction

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Straight White Shark posted:

That water sheep might be Sea silk which is possibly even more impressive than silk

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

also, fun fact I just remembered: Adolf Hitler insisted to his death that his friends and lovers call him "Herr Wolf". Mighty anime button down energy there, mein führer.

Why nerds are such trash

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

maybe gan ying didnt know where silk comes from. i mean the worms were a literal trade secret worth warring over so he could just be really curious nerd. like ask a 1800s person where their denim came from.

Nim, obviously.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Nim, obviously.

Booooooo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No, seriously.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea nim like it says on the label

not their fault they cant prnprronunc pronounce poo poo

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I've always wondered about that quote. Since, there was a whole discussion earlier in this thread about how Medieval people really fuckin loved bathing. Why would someone reference that as a reason that foreigners can come in and sweep up their women when those standards seem to be pretty similar to what people there already did?

Then again, checking on Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_of_Wallingford_(d._1258)

quote:

The author evidently used several excellent authorities, such as Bede, the Saxon priest's Life of Dunstan, Florence of Worcester, and the like; but, though he makes some attempts at comparison and criticism, has inserted so many exaggerations and misconceptions apparently current in his own time, and has further so strangely confused the results of his reading, that his production is historically worthless.

So maybe it's just that quote is by a goony shut-in :v:

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

ishikabibble posted:

I've always wondered about that quote. Since, there was a whole discussion earlier in this thread about how Medieval people really fuckin loved bathing. Why would someone reference that as a reason that foreigners can come in and sweep up their women when those standards seem to be pretty similar to what people there already did?

Then again, checking on Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_of_Wallingford_(d._1258)

So maybe it's just that quote is by a goony shut-in :v:

"medieval people" covers a vast amount of different cultures over a timespan of literally 1000 years. Not all of them loved bathing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It was really the early modern europeans who were the unhygienic ones. Bathing really fell out of favour iirc after the plague, with bath house being blamed for spreading the diease.

The spanish were loving disgusting compared to the aztecs, and I think the natives in New England thought the same of the english. In New England the natives were also much taller and healthier than the english. In 1491 it claims that the average New England native was getting about 1000 more calories per day than the average englishman. The staple crops of the New World and the relatively high amount of meat and fish they got made for far better nutrition than the grain-reliant poor european diet.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Really depends. We got sources from early medieval Britain basically saying "These loving norsemen coming in with their loving bathing and combing and makeup taking our women!", but also Arab sources going "These norsemen are filthy as gently caress". So y'know, the contemporary british were probably less hygenic than vikings who were less hygenic than contemporary arabs.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Racist people say that people from X country all smell bad these days too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

That water sheep might be Sea silk which is possibly even more impressive than silk

what I heard was the the romans took some of the chinese silk, rewove and dyed it using their own techniques and it got carted all the way back with the Parthians claiming that it was from the water sheep or whatever

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Racist people say that people from X country all smell bad these days too.

You know that's one thing I've never really heard but that's obviously just acnetotal evidence so :shrug:

e: I've never personally encountered but am aware of the "white people smell like dairy" meme but IDK kind of can't take that as derogatory because I drink like two litres of milk a day so what the gently caress else am I going to smell like?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

When I was growing up in 1980s England it was very common for white people to complain that Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi people “smelt of curry” as an an insult.
Jokes on them, curry is delicious and spices smell amazing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Helith posted:

When I was growing up in 1980s England it was very common for white people to complain that Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi people “smelt of curry” as an an insult.
Jokes on them, curry is delicious and spices smell amazing.

Those people should smell of spotted dick and marmite like us proper folk!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

White people smell like wet dog

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Speaking of odor, the topic would have been on the mind of many Londoners during the summer of 1858 in which unusually hot temperatures and low water levels on the Thames exacerbated an odor issue that had been building up for some time, earning the name “The Big Stink”. The main cause of the pollution was human waste being drained or dumped into the river.

Plans were made to relocate the law courts to Oxford. Curtains in the Parliament buildings facing the river were soaked in lime chloride. Men were employed to spread ~250 tons of lime directly on the shores of the river. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert famously ended a cruise on the Thames after several minutes because of the nauseating smell (a common misconception is that the Queen actually fainted).

Sir Joseph William Bazalgette could be considered one of London’s greatest heroes. Whereas previous attempts to modernize the sewer system were stymied by its enormous cost, political support for a project to alleviate this issue was at its peak, and it was the perfect time for an ambitious civil engineer to step forward and seize the opportunity. As chief engineer of the Metropolitan Board of Works, he oversaw the construction of over a thousand miles of underground sewers over a decade that... still dumped waste into the Thames. But it was diverted downstream and away from the city, were it could flow into the sea! Before then, waste was dumped into above-ground sewers that were originally designed for storm run-off that drained into the sluggish Thames and lingered in the city.

The new system also combated cholera, typhoid, and other diseases, but its success was in a way accidental. The prevailing theory in that time was miasma theory, in which it was believed that the odor itself carried disease. While it certainly smelled better, it was the reduction in human waste in the citizens’ drinking water that saved so many lives.

Much of the tunnels are still in use. Bazalgate displayed a foresight that astounds me as someone who has examined the current state of American infrastructure politics. From the UK’s Institution of Civil Engineers:

quote:

While he was planning the system Bazalgette used the densest population in the capital, gave everyone the most generous allowance of sewage production and then came up with the diameter of pipe needed.

He then said, "We're only going to do this once and there's always the unforeseen" and doubled the diameter of the pipes he wanted built.

This foresight allowed for the increase in London's population that came years later with the introduction of the tower block. If Bazalgette had used the smaller pipe diameter, the city's sewers would have overflowed in the 1960s. Instead, they've coped into the 21st century.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Feb 17, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dietary and hygiene habits probably do make for a noticeable difference in smell. Though even if they do smell different, if you aren't actively hostile towards someone you'll probably stop noticing pretty quick.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Very edgy opinion. Other than cultural factors like diet and hygiene products used, it would be impossible for me to sniff out people of different races. Priming can be a powerful thing, and olfactory hallucination is extremely easy to fall victim to.

Also yeah, especially given smell is so closely linked to memory.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Helith posted:

And pakistani (and other asians) complains that we smell of milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Jerry Cotton posted:

IDK kind of can't take that as derogatory because I drink like two litres of milk a day

So are you drinking directly from a carton on your desk at work, or do you put it into a glass first?