Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
BUT WHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Terry Pratchett posted:

I save about twenty drafts — that's ten meg of disc space — and the last one contains all the final alterations. Once it has been printed out and received by the publishers, there's a cry here of 'Tough poo poo, literary researchers of the future, try getting a proper job!' and the rest are wiped.

I don't have the original source but it's from a collection of his Usenet posts.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

YggiDee posted:

You mean the notes that got crushed by a steamroller?

hahaha that owns

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Have you read the Brian Herbert/KJA dune novels? That’s why.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have you read the Brian Herbert/KJA dune novels? That’s why.

Yeah. I can imagine someone getting their hands on these notes like

"Pratchett's lively and comfortable world of Discworld comes to life with new adventures and some classic characters, but also a host of new and exciting characters from the brilliant, fecund mind of (some dipshit who really likes incest scenes and can't stop describing female characters' feet of which there are thankfully only two)"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Quote, edit, goddamn.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Just let 2000ad run a Watch series, please and thanks.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I dunno, part of what I love about Pratchett is my own imagining of the world/characters; imo there hasn't really been an adaptation of any of his stuff that truly lived up to the spirit of the book. I want very badly for it to happen but I feel like it'd be much, much better animated/CGI* than live-action.

*with a proper budget and someone that isn't stupid in charge of it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

a comic that looks exactly like the book covers would be ideal

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

a comic that looks exactly like the book covers would be ideal

The old really ugly ones or the new, good ones?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

They already made a Discworld cartoon though :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-J3nJerAyQ

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've read a graphic novel adaptation (Mort? The one where they kidnap Vimes' wife for some reason). It didn't hold up, despite what seemed an earnest effort. Absolutely ALL of the charm of Pratchett's work is in his prose. You could take the characters, mannerisms, dialogue, plot, the whole she-bang and any other rendition of it would fall flat.

The example above with the Discworld comic, there's a scene I recall in the book where some guardsmen come to arrest the wealthy spinster. She asks for a moment at the door, then re-opens it swinging a sword clumsily but with great momentum. Pratchett does his magic with a short paragraph description and it gets a hell of a lot of comedic life, it's quite vivid. The graphic novel gave it a few panels but it didn't work. Live action (or animation) could give it good emphasis and probably their own spin of humor, but still everything of Pratchett's visual lens, ie the entire point of reading his work, would be gone.

Some things don't translate mediums very well, that's totally fine. I'm bloody glad he burned his work.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hattie Masters posted:

The old really ugly ones or the new, good ones?

The old, really good ugly ones.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dabir posted:

The old, really good ugly ones.

My favorite fact about those covers is that Kidby didn't get the "four-eyes" joke, so he just drew Twoflower with four eyes.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Alhazred posted:

My favorite fact about those covers is that Kidby didn't get the "four-eyes" joke, so he just drew Twoflower with four eyes.

That confused the absolute poo poo out of me as a kid, seeing that picture.

Also a town near where I live is officially twinned with Ankh Morpork. Only place in the UK twinned with a fictional place I think. (It's where Pratchett is from)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Wait, what the gently caress

I need to grab my copy of TCOM and check this when I get home

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I think Small Gods could work as a miniseries. It is primarily a dialogue with a lot of cool action scenes, plus it's basically a Hero's Journey, which are typically easy to adapt to the screen.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

TheKennedys posted:

I dunno, part of what I love about Pratchett is my own imagining of the world/characters; imo there hasn't really been an adaptation of any of his stuff that truly lived up to the spirit of the book. I want very badly for it to happen but I feel like it'd be much, much better animated/CGI* than live-action.

*with a proper budget and someone that isn't stupid in charge of it

otoh i dont think that wouldve been the outcome had he consigned his unfinished notes to a series of mediocre hacks

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Also, the vividly coloured shirt he is described as wearing is obviously supposed to be some kind of tacky touristy hawaiian shirt. Kirby draws him in a jesters outfit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

imo its more real if hes actually got 4 eyes, he just came home from discworld spring break, and then gets called a slur right to his face.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Konstantin posted:

I think Small Gods could work as a miniseries. It is primarily a dialogue with a lot of cool action scenes, plus it's basically a Hero's Journey, which are typically easy to adapt to the screen.

There is a fantastic BBC Radio version of Small Gods. Highly recommend.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The animated adaptations of Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music are both good - particularly the former.

SimonChris posted:

Also, the vividly coloured shirt he is described as wearing is obviously supposed to be some kind of tacky touristy hawaiian shirt. Kirby draws him in a jesters outfit.
He also drew trolls yellow for some reason, made Rincewind an old man, drew Herrena, the Henna-haired Harridan as exactly the cliche Pratchett said she wasn't, etc. His covers are loving awful.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

who cares about all that, they've got great atmosphere

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Dabir posted:

who cares about all that, they've got great atmosphere

They catch the mood at the expense of any semblance of accuracy to the actual events or people but they insist on depicting the people anyway

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
here's a new terrible book: everything graham linehan. the whole linehan. throw it right out the windowhan.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Somfin posted:

They catch the mood at the expense of any semblance of accuracy to the actual events or people but they insist on depicting the people anyway

Feels fitting given the older books are riffs on fantasy fiction where it was pretty common to have dragons, barbarians, scantily clad women etc etc on them even if none of those things actually featured in the story.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

atmosphere is the opposite of world building

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

cause too much worldbuilding suffocates the story?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

cause too much worldbuilding suffocates the story?

By bogging it down with irrelevant detail, yes. I don't need a discussion of every fictional firearm's fictional manufacturing history every time a gunfight breaks out, for instance. Worldbuilding is a background resource to be used in a story as necessary. You don't need to dump it all on the page, just use it to inform your writing decisions.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The joke goes that Tolkein invented fantasy languages and then wrote novels for them to exist in.

That's not a joke, that's exactly what happened:

Tolkien posted:

The invention of languages is the foundation. The 'stories' were made rather to provide a world for the languages than the reverse.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

One of my favorite things about LotR is Tolkien was a member of the Inklings (informal literary discussion group), which included C. S. Lewis and a buuuunch of others. He'd read excerpts from it during meetings, and a bunch of members haaaaaated it. Hugo Dyson is recorded by Christopher Tolkien as going "Oh God, not another elf!" at one point.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
To be fair, there's also the issue that a different world, even if you keep the same names as ours for stuff like swords and horses and all that, would almost certainly have created their own slang, shorthands, and all that. While there's no need to try and come up with a new form of rhyming cockney, using modern slang sticks out even worse than if they named a sword a whister and a horse a lotrg.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

One of my favorite things about LotR is Tolkien was a member of the Inklings (informal literary discussion group), which included C. S. Lewis and a buuuunch of others. He'd read excerpts from it during meetings, and a bunch of members haaaaaated it. Hugo Dyson is recorded by Christopher Tolkien as going "Oh God, not another elf!" at one point.

:woomy:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Cornwind Evil posted:

To be fair, there's also the issue that a different world, even if you keep the same names as ours for stuff like swords and horses and all that, would almost certainly have created their own slang, shorthands, and all that. While there's no need to try and come up with a new form of rhyming cockney, using modern slang sticks out even worse than if they named a sword a whister and a horse a lotrg.

we can assume the author has translated all of that slang and shorthand into more familiar terms. that being said, I'm having trouble thinking of any non-RPG products who did that kind of thing well. Batman Beyond's use of "schway" in place of "cool" got really stupidly repetitive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

we can assume the author has translated all of that slang and shorthand into more familiar terms. that being said, I'm having trouble thinking of any non-RPG products who did that kind of thing well. Batman Beyond's use of "schway" in place of "cool" got really stupidly repetitive.

I think that's just loaned Mandarin.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cornwind Evil posted:

Someone somewhere must have done this, somewhere between Clockwork Orange and the Gostak Distems the Doshes.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that's just loaned Mandarin.

if that's the case, the show is cool and did a neat thing and i was just a dipshit 9 year old.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Batman Beyond's use of "schway" in place of "cool" got really stupidly repetitive.

It works on another level because your brain was good at filtering "cool" at the time. Nothing makes you feel like an old man quite like kids using a catch-all word that you haven't built a filter for yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
tbh the thing that bothers me about Pratchett having his notes destroyed is, like

we already know Rihanna Pratchett is a pretty decent writer, with similar sensibilities to her dad? like, she finished the last Discworld book and it was totally fine and felt like Discworld, iirc. if he hadn't destroyed them, we wouldn't be getting a Dune sequel-esque travesty, we'd just be getting... more, slightly different, Discworld.