Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

mikeycp posted:

fukui has a dope-rear end dinosaur museum you should go to fukui

Seconding this. It's really great. I went with the expectation of "Eh, well, dinosaurs. I've seen dinosaurs /shrug but might as well check it out while I'm here." I was, frankly, blown away by how awesome the whole place is. They've got visiting scientists working and, I assume, helping with the signage because it's quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
For some reason the teamlabs websiote refuses to let me buy tickets for borderless. I was planning on going there this Sunday (I'm flying to Japan tomorrow, but it's closed Mon-Wed next week and I'm leaving Tokyo on Thursday). Since it's not exactly the busiest time of year, is it likely there will still be same-day tickets available?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

netcat posted:

For some reason the teamlabs websiote refuses to let me buy tickets for borderless. I was planning on going there this Sunday (I'm flying to Japan tomorrow, but it's closed Mon-Wed next week and I'm leaving Tokyo on Thursday). Since it's not exactly the busiest time of year, is it likely there will still be same-day tickets available?

Your odds for same day tickets will be pretty good given the lack of Chinese tourists. Though if you want to play it safer, I'd go around opening just so you've got more ticket times slots to work with.

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.
That's odd that the Teamlab tickets aren't working... I tried myself and it seems to be ok: https://ticket.teamlab.art/#/order.
Once you choose your date, you actually have to click in the 'Entrance Pass' box to make it expand and choose your number of tickets. It's not the most intuitive. When I went in the summer you had to choose a timed ticket, but it doesn't seem to have that option anymore.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

geese posted:

That's odd that the Teamlab tickets aren't working... I tried myself and it seems to be ok: https://ticket.teamlab.art/#/order.
Once you choose your date, you actually have to click in the 'Entrance Pass' box to make it expand and choose your number of tickets. It's not the most intuitive. When I went in the summer you had to choose a timed ticket, but it doesn't seem to have that option anymore.

It claimed that the service was busy or something and wouldn't accept either of my cards, two days in a row 🤔 I was thinking it might be because my surname has Swedish letters (åäö) and it wouldn't let me input that in the cardholder field so the name didn't match

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

netcat posted:

It claimed that the service was busy or something and wouldn't accept either of my cards, two days in a row 🤔 I was thinking it might be because my surname has Swedish letters (åäö) and it wouldn't let me input that in the cardholder field so the name didn't match

I would think that if it was a name mismatch it would just say something about the transaction having been declined, not something about the service being busy?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

cursed phonics

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bofast posted:

I would think that if it was a name mismatch it would just say something about the transaction having been declined, not something about the service being busy?

You are assuming that glorious Nippon has web site design that isn’t circa 1995.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Zero posted:

You are assuming that glorious Nippon has web site design that isn’t circa 1995.

Good point

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I actually got two error popups, one about the service being busy and one that about there being a problem with the card

Anyway they hade tickets and there was an insane amount of people so I'd hate to see how it is when theyre sold out

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

Midjack posted:

I’m a type 1 diabetic using two different types of insulin pens (long and short acting). Should I expect to have to taken these for the customs inspection, and how many will they let me bring in without needing the special permit?

I know this is from a few pages back, but I wanted to chime in as a T1 who just got to Japan for a 3 month stay.

I was sweating bullets at customs, but the attendant didn't check a single bag.

For posterity / any future diabetics in this thread: as far as applying for and getting a yakkan shoumei (which, as peanut said, you only need if you're brining in more than a 1 month supply), the process was super easy. If you're just traveling on a tourist visa, you don't need a physical, original copy. I emailed my application and documents to the ministry of health and received a digital yakkan shoumei within 24 hours. Just print it out and keep it in your carry on with your meds. Easy Peasy.

I would love to hear how traveling to Japan effects your bg levels. For whatever reason, I'm constantly low and have had to adjust my Lantus considerably. I've actually been less active here than at home in the US, so... it's just baffling.

Midjack posted:

Got back yesterday from my first visit.

It was really good.

LOL. My b.

Spanish Inquisition fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 17, 2020

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th
Hi all, i'm looking to spend six days on/around Okinawa after a trip to Taiwan. Been reading various trip reports online and i've kinda come out of it with a simple itinerary BUT i'm always open to change. Just looking for general tourist stuff, chilling out, little party, few sights.

I'll be going in late April.

Day 1-2: Mainland Okinawa. Stay in Okinawa city or Naha
Day 2-5: Kerama National Park. Stay on one of the islands there.
Day 6: Return to Okinawa

I know this is a very basic agenda but you may say 'hey, don't stay on Kerama. Go elsewhere'. ....

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
this is just me, but if i were going to okinawa i'd try to go diving at least once. it seems like a great place to do it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I’d love to do something like chichijima in 2021 but the 24h ferry ride just puts me off. I’d rather just do Okinawa at that rate.

Guess I should start looking at other islands I can do some 3-4 day trips to.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ishigaki has some nice stuff to do and good bilingual signage (never been there but I translated the dang pamphlets lol)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spanish Inquisition posted:

I know this is from a few pages back, but I wanted to chime in as a T1 who just got to Japan for a 3 month stay.

I was sweating bullets at customs, but the attendant didn't check a single bag.

For posterity / any future diabetics in this thread: as far as applying for and getting a yakkan shoumei (which, as peanut said, you only need if you're brining in more than a 1 month supply), the process was super easy. If you're just traveling on a tourist visa, you don't need a physical, original copy. I emailed my application and documents to the ministry of health and received a digital yakkan shoumei within 24 hours. Just print it out and keep it in your carry on with your meds. Easy Peasy.

I would love to hear how traveling to Japan effects your bg levels. For whatever reason, I'm constantly low and have had to adjust my Lantus considerably. I've actually been less active here than at home in the US, so... it's just baffling.

LOL. My b.

It's cool, thanks for sharing your experience, especially about the permit being a next day email. I was mostly concerned because everything I could find said "one month supply" which is pretty easy for something like pills, but for pens the only information I saw said "no more than two for a one-month supply" and that wasn't on an official site. Since I'm on two different insulins (Tresiba and Fiasp) and like to carry an spare of both in case I lose one, plus I have terrible bad luck and wanted to be prepared if COVID-19 got out of hand while I was there and I got a deal like what those cruise ship passengers are currently enjoying. I was concerned that taking three or four pens would land me in narco smuggling jail as soon as I tried to clear immigration. Ultimately since it was a four day visit I opted to simply carry two new pens and be careful, and nobody looked in my bags anyway, but next time I'll just apply for the permit and have some backups.

I didn't have much of a problem with my glucose getting out of hand on my visit. I always get a little disrupted on travel, probably due to body time and local time being out of whack, and it was such a short trip I didn't really have a chance to stabilize. I was running a little low for most of this trip, but it was easy enough to stick a couple of coins in a vending machine or hit a 7-11 and get back in business.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Finally just hit fukkit and booked a flight to April 10-18. Uh, now I just have to figure out a plan. I'm thinking of maybe flying to Shirahama from HND, spending the week working my way over to Kumano City and then maybe train back to Tokyo to fly back?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

captkirk posted:

Finally just hit fukkit and booked a flight to April 10-18. Uh, now I just have to figure out a plan. I'm thinking of maybe flying to Shirahama from HND, spending the week working my way over to Kumano City and then maybe train back to Tokyo to fly back?

Head northwards into the Tohoku region? April 10-18 puts you in the forecasted peak Sakura blossoms for that area.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

.Z. posted:

Head northwards into the Tohoku region? April 10-18 puts you in the forecasted peak Sakura blossoms for that area.

Well, now I'm fiercely googling Fukushima and Sendai.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
sendai is good. never been to fukushima but it's probably also good.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
My sister's 30th birthday is tomorrow. Is there anything we absolutely need to do in the greater Tokyo area? Any particular shrines where she should pray? Best cake shop? Any wacky traditions? If I was home in Nashville, I'd take her to drink a dog bowl of beer at The Village Pub, so something in that vein.

Midjack posted:

I didn't have much of a problem with my glucose getting out of hand on my visit. I always get a little disrupted on travel, probably due to body time and local time being out of whack, and it was such a short trip I didn't really have a chance to stabilize. I was running a little low for most of this trip, but it was easy enough to stick a couple of coins in a vending machine or hit a 7-11 and get back in business.

Honestly the vending machines are such a godsend. I'm glad you had a good time!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

go to drat dirty robot restaurant and have a stupid fun time

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Any recommends on a Tokyo spot for those stupidly fluffy pancakes you see online?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any recommends on a Tokyo spot for those stupidly fluffy pancakes you see online?

There’s a place called A Happy Pancake that does super tasty fluffy pancakes. I went to the one in Shibuya but I imagine they’re all the same.

Edit: I think that photo might actually be from A Happy Pancake tbh!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Indolent Bastard posted:

My recommendation is to go in with low expectations. They aren't all that great. They look neat and photograph well.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Waltzing Along posted:

My recommendation is to go in with low expectations. They aren't all that great. They look neat and photograph well.

Expectations suitably adjusted.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Most of those beautifully constructed looking Japan/Korea desserts are pretty flavorless.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Most of those beautifully constructed looking Japan/Korea desserts are pretty flavorless.

This, only for all the menu of pop up/theme cafes. Went to Gundam cafe and a Code Geass pop up cafe and it was just really bland, but nice looking food.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Indolent Bastard posted:

Expectations suitably adjusted.

With that in mind, look for the chain called Gram. They have even opened a location in San Francisco.

Anyway, they only make about 20 of the pancake plates every 3 hours. It's pretty limited because each pancake takes a long time to make. So find a location and figure out what time you need to get there. At busy time there will be lines.

I had them at one cafe and they were really terrible. I vowed I would get a good one. I kept seeing various Gram locations and they were always sold out until one day...

And it was pretty disappointing. Not bad, just underwhelming.

Okonomiyaki, on the other hand. I love it so much that I have recently begun trying to make it myself. First attempt was about 90% as good as I would expect in Japan. A lot easier than I had feared. I am going to get good at it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Archer666 posted:

This, only for all the menu of pop up/theme cafes. Went to Gundam cafe and a Code Geass pop up cafe and it was just really bland, but nice looking food.

I think this is because we absolutely load our cakes and deserts with sugar in the west. My wife can’t understand how I can eat a slice of cake that has the density of brick and enough sugar to choke a bear.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I did A Happy Pancake but thought it was great! It was definitely lighter than American stuff, but I thought it was very pleasant.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Doctor Zero posted:

I think this is because we absolutely load our cakes and deserts with sugar in the west. My wife can’t understand how I can eat a slice of cake that has the density of brick and enough sugar to choke a bear.

I was going to say this. I don't mind desserts, especially the more traditional Japanese sweets, in Japan but one spoonful of cheesecake from Cheesecake factory is enough for me for about 6 months.

If you've got a real sweet-tooth then yeah, Japanese desserts are probably a bit bland but if not then I think they're probably just fine.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Waltzing Along posted:

Okonomiyaki, on the other hand. I love it so much that I have recently begun trying to make it myself. First attempt was about 90% as good as I would expect in Japan. A lot easier than I had feared. I am going to get good at it.

Okonomiyaki definitely punches above its weight. My first couple years here I wanted to eat it at least once a week.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Hiroshima style superiority

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

arisu posted:

Hiroshima style superiority

For eating? Definitely, but for making it's significantly more effort (although that's also because regular okinomiyaki is close to zero effort)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Only bad thing I can say about Japanese food is how much mayo they slather on stuff. Makes some foods drat near inedible. Mayo is so gross.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Only bad thing I can say about Japanese food is how much mayo they slather on stuff. Makes some foods drat near inedible. Mayo is so gross.

I know who isn't getting through customs next time.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nanigans posted:

Yeah, this is just objectively wrong on several levels.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Nanigans posted:

Burn the witch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

.Z. posted:

Burn the witch

Oh my god, that avatar :barf: