Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Computer Serf posted:

everyone at my work is catching a very deep (lower respiratory?) cough... my roomie has it too now

:ohdear:

Sorry you are gonna die soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Can you BE any more racist?

Sharks Eat Bear fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 14, 2020

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Computer Serf posted:

everyone at my work is catching a very deep (lower respiratory?) cough... my roomie has it too now

:ohdear:
Where do you work?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Everyone I know who likes Funko Pops had a deeply troubled childhood

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Charlz Guybon posted:

Where do you work?

a lovely open office in downtown Los Angeles

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!
That taxi driver in Japan has given it to two other people. One of the people he infected at a new year's party attended by 100 people (mostly taxi drivers), and 10 others now are running fevers. Also, another taxi driver was confirmed to have it, this time in Okinawa (since Chinese cruise ships often stop there it's not a huge surprise). I spend 2 hours every weekday on Japanese trains, so this is wonderful news for me.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Robotic Accolade posted:

That taxi driver in Japan has given it to two other people. One of the people he infected at a new year's party attended by 100 people (mostly taxi drivers), and 10 others now are running fevers. Also, another taxi driver was confirmed to have it, this time in Okinawa (since Chinese cruise ships often stop there it's not a huge surprise). I spend 2 hours every weekday on Japanese trains, so this is wonderful news for me.

Are people in japan wearing masks?

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Funso Banjo posted:

Are people in japan wearing masks?

Not everyone but yeah there are a lot more masks around then usual for this time of year. Allergy season is just around the corner and that will push up the ratio even more.

Of course, there's always gonna be that fat, slovenly businessman on the train who coughs without covering his mouth, and he's not gonna be masking it up any time soon. Also all the masks are cheap disposable paper masks that don't really seal off everything.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Robotic Accolade posted:

Has a gamer and software developer I would literally die from having to talk to that much humans a single month. Just talking to 4 people can be exausting. The social lives of covid19 vectors are amazing.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1228208356491313154

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Robotic Accolade posted:

Did you think you were safe if you avoided taxis and stuck to buses? Think again.

“[url posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/14/coronavirus-latest-updates-wuhan-hubei-china-deaths-cruise-ship-sydney-cases-covid19-live-news”[/url]]
One of the people diagnosed with coronavirus in the UK attended a central London conference with more than 200 delegates, PA reports.

The person, who has not been named, attended the UK Bus Summit at the QEII Centre in Westminster on 6 February.

Transport Times, the conference organiser, emailed attendees on Thursday afternoon informing them that a person confirmed to be suffering from coronavirus illness - also known as Covid-19 - had been at the event.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
We joke but Ik just wondering what the actual danger/what effect this virus actually has.

Yeah I get its spreading, but how lethal is it or how dangerous?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It's still hard to tell and nobody has firm figures yet, in large part because it's impossible to believe the numbers China is putting out and most cases are there. It's looking like anywhere from 2-20x as deadly as the flu and maybe a bit more contagious but a lot of people don't have symptoms worse than a bad cold.

R0 estimates go as high as 7 (aaaaaaaaaaa) but most i've seen are closer to three. Incubation period is all over the place but most cases seem to be under a week.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.12.20022434v1

if it becomes a proper pandemic it's not the end of the world we can rule that out at this point but it has the potential to bring even developed countries health systems to their knees by the sheer amount of people that require hospitalisation. The economic effects are also difficult to estimate because of how interlinked the modern world is.

Overall, nobody really knows yet!

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 14, 2020

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I wonder how many people have called him on that cell phone, since he self-doxxed in the tweet.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am reading a HK forum. One HK female passenger was told by the Japanese authority her test is confirmed, but she has been left in the windowless cabin with her husband for more than 24 hour so far and still waiting for the ambulance to pick her up. I thought the patients get sent to hospitals right away after confirmation? Apparently not. And the husband's test result need to wait 4-5 days to come back. That's loving terrible. I thought Japan would do better than China. But if they are still dragging their feet with this bureaucracy poo poo the whole ship will get infected.

HK news link

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If she's stable there's no pressing need to move her from one quarantine to another and risk infecting more people

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
she's elderly and therefore at high risk of complications, and she's being kept in the same room as her husband who is also elderly, and they're in a cabin with no windows so they get to spend outside time on the deck with other people

they need to get them off the loving boat yesterday

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Jamsta posted:

im all set

This is more disgusting than the things coming out of coronavirus-infected lungs.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

i am harry posted:

This is more disgusting than the things coming out of coronavirus-infected lungs.

There's nothing wrong with having quality shelf stable food ready to go at a moment's notice. You never know when society will collapse, but you can rest easy at night knowing a tasty, nutritious meal is only a can away!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Saw the first person with an N95-looking mask in the Munich subway today. Germans never wear masks on public transport.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

There's nothing wrong with having quality shelf stable food ready to go at a moment's notice. You never know when society will collapse, but you can rest easy at night knowing a tasty, nutritious meal is only a can away!

TBH after growing up in an area prone to natural disasters I don't see it as super unusual to have canned food somewhere.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Hopper posted:

Saw the first person with an N95-looking mask in the Munich subway today. Germans never wear masks on public transport.

You only think that because they're such good quality masks.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Foul Ole Ron posted:

We joke but Ik just wondering what the actual danger/what effect this virus actually has.

Yeah I get its spreading, but how lethal is it or how dangerous?

The disease punches way above its weight in odd ways. Many people don't get severe symptoms, but it spreads aggressively, and the people who have severe issues require oxygen to one extent or another.

On TOP of this, as a virus that seems to have never infected humans before, it appears to be mutating furiously. You may recover from your infection and get infected by a related strain a week later, while still recovering from the first bug.

Current speculation is that because China ignored the problem until it was impossible to ignore it any longer, it settled in, contaminated entire hospitals and may have been infecting and reinfecting people. Over and over again. Until hospitals simply ran out of oxygen tanks for all the people who needed to be put on oxygen.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i really need to save my sources but i read this morning that the virus can grow very well in the throat without making its way into the lungs which both is a clue for how it spreads when people aren't necessarily feeling awful as well as how easily it spreads as it's easier to get the virus into your throat than it is all the way down into your lungs. apparently

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Gearhead posted:

Current speculation is that because China ignored the problem until it was impossible to ignore it any longer, it settled in, contaminated entire hospitals and may have been infecting and reinfecting people. Over and over again. Until hospitals simply ran out of oxygen tanks for all the people who needed to be put on oxygen.
Hong Kong uni said very early on they expect self-sustaining cycles of infection and a peak in about May.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Mithaldu posted:

Hong Kong uni said very early on they expect self-sustaining cycles of infection and a peak in about May.

Imagine this breaking out in say, the homeless camps in California.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

sincx posted:

Coronaviruses generally mutate slowly, much slower than viruses like the flu or HIV.

This one does not. We have at least one case where a family of 6 all had distinct mutations of the same common strain.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am only some random guy on the internet, but make sense to me this quick evolution on the virus, since is new on this enviroment. Is learning a log of new cool tricks because is new in the guetto.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Looking around further, I'm not sure direct evidence of reinfection has been published. But everyone is definitely saying that this bug is more unstable genetically than other members of the family. Mutations are not just likely but expected. This could get very wild.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Gearhead posted:

This one does not. We have at least one case where a family of 6 all had distinct mutations of the same common strain.

Source your quotes

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

slap me and kiss me posted:

Source your quotes

I was misremembering the Lancet study slightly. Two distinct strains in the family, but all six members had distinct mutations within those two strains. You could tell whose Bat Soup Fever was which. And who had caught it from who.

EDIT: The real asspain on this, of course, is that if we assume that the rest of the world doesn't have an outbreak, supply chain disruption is still going to be a BITCH. April or so, shelves in Walmart, Dick's etc are going to be a touch thinned out.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 14, 2020

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/14/coronavirus-latest-updates-wuhan-hubei-china-deaths-cruise-ship-sydney-cases-covid19-live-news posted:

As many as eight flights at Heathrow Airport were said to have been caught up in delays or checks as a result of government health officials responding to coronavirus-related concerns over passengers feeling unwell.

United Airlines confirmed that staff in London had been providing assistance to a flight from San Francisco which had landed at Heathrow following reports of an individual becoming unwell onboard.

A man who had been on the flight said a passenger had been taken to the back of the plane ahead of the arrival of health officials before passengers were allowed to disembark after half-an-hour.

“There was an initial announcement that someone had taken ill and would be taken off,” said Andy West, a public relations executive at Hotwire, told the Guardian.

“Shortly afterwards he said that there was a suspected case of coronavirus and that the passenger had been isolated at the back of the plane.”

goodbye planes

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
it's ok, as everyone knows on planes the air comes in through the front and exits through the back

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Gearhead posted:

Imagine this breaking out in say, the homeless camps in California.

Funnily enough USA's suburbia hell kinda helps a little with this.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Gearhead posted:

I was misremembering the Lancet study slightly. Two distinct strains in the family, but all six members had distinct mutations within those two strains. You could tell whose Bat Soup Fever was which. And who had caught it from who.

Not even close, only two samples were fully analysed and we're practically completely identical

"HKU-SZ-002a and HKU-SZ-005b differ from each other by only two bases. One of them is a non-synonymous mutation at amino acid position 336 of non-structural protein 4 (Ser336 for HKU-SZ-002a; Leu336 for HKU-SZ-005b; figure 4)"

Partial rt-pcr was done on 5 samples which confirmed it's different from SARS etc.

This paper literally states the opposite of what your saying. Your left and right but probably would differ more genetically.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Maybe I was looking at the wrong case. Hell, I can't remember any longer.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Not even close, only two samples were fully analysed and we're practically completely identical

"HKU-SZ-002a and HKU-SZ-005b differ from each other by only two bases. One of them is a non-synonymous mutation at amino acid position 336 of non-structural protein 4 (Ser336 for HKU-SZ-002a; Leu336 for HKU-SZ-005b; figure 4)"

Partial rt-pcr was done on 5 samples which confirmed it's different from SARS etc.

This paper literally states the opposite of what your saying. Your left and right but probably would differ more genetically.

due to your username I can't trust you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Rad-daddio posted:

due to your username I can't trust you.

I suspect his real name is Jan. Jan Itor.