Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/979520/Starblazer/

No idea of how good it is, it's some kind of space fleet strategy game, but it's on sale so right now it's around $2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And more interesting sales
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/vr-sale/

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
My current rig is an intel 4790K with a 1060 and 32GB--it still games for me great, until I try to Rift. Using Task Manger to shut everything down, turning off virus checking, etc--and I'm lucky to break 20fps in H3VR. Simple games run great, but if I want to play Half Life or the new Walking Dead, I figure I got to order new hardware.

A new box with an Intel 9700K with a 2080 and 32GB of DDR4--will that give me the speed I need to play the more demanding VR titles without having to do the Task Manager/End Task dance every time I want to slap on the Rift? Is there a better thread to ask about VR rigs?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

HycoCam posted:

My current rig is an intel 4790K with a 1060 and 32GB--it still games for me great, until I try to Rift. Using Task Manger to shut everything down, turning off virus checking, etc--and I'm lucky to break 20fps in H3VR. Simple games run great, but if I want to play Half Life or the new Walking Dead, I figure I got to order new hardware.

A new box with an Intel 9700K with a 2080 and 32GB of DDR4--will that give me the speed I need to play the more demanding VR titles without having to do the Task Manager/End Task dance every time I want to slap on the Rift? Is there a better thread to ask about VR rigs?

Check your supersample (Resolution scale) in steamvr settings. Set it to 100%. Its probably trying to upscale because steamvr is stupid af.

With that said. 9700k/2080 will crush VR. I mean. Beyond that, you could technically spend less, but eh, if you can throw the money, theres no harm in going hard.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I found that the 1060 was a bit of a performance bottleneck for bigger games too.

I'm on a 9700k 2070 16mb and everything is butter smooth. I'm sure that kind of rig would power right thru and wouldn't care if you have 20 chrome tabs open to boot.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

2060 SUPER is absolutely enough for any VR game, if you're looking for something more reasonably priced.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I have a 2600X and a 1660ti, have had no framerate issues on the rift s. Probably not enough to support an index.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I have a 980 ti, and it's been handling everything pretty drat well in VR since the CV1 launch. I'm now on an S, and it's still working well, but I'm thinking I should upgrade before I get the Index.

However, when I look at video cards it feels like you have to spend a ridiculous amount of money to get anything significantly faster. Like here's a comparison of a $400 video card against mine:
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060S-Super-vs-Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti/4049vs3439

It claims the effective speed of a 2060 super is +27%, but in game FPS it shows +13%.

$400 for a 13% boost is hard for me to justify.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

2060 SUPER is absolutely enough for any VR game, if you're looking for something more reasonably priced.

That was going to be my next question. The 2080 prices seem to range from $700 to $1,500... As future proof as I want to be--I'm way more on the $200 side of the spectrum. :)

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm on a 9700k 2070 16mb and everything is butter smooth. I'm sure that kind of rig would power right thru and wouldn't care if you have 20 chrome tabs open to boot.
Had an i7 6700K with a 1070 over winter break and no real difference when playing 2D Project Cars 2, but when it came time to push two images for the Rift, the speed difference made things much better.

My current machine has lasted five years and will be handed down to the kids. The dream is to get the lowest priced 2080 I can find and make it five years before I'm in this same boat.

Something like this EVGA is under $700 after the promos and rebates: https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2080-super-08g-p4-3182-kr/p/N82E16814487464 (Maybe spend a little extra to get liquid cooling--have big dogs and a cat. Lot easier to clean exterior fans.)

EbolaIvory posted:

Check your supersample (Resolution scale) in steamvr settings. Set it to 100%. Its probably trying to upscale because steamvr is stupid af.

With that said. 9700k/2080 will crush VR. I mean. Beyond that, you could technically spend less, but eh, if you can throw the money, theres no harm in going hard.
Will check the supersample. Thanks. Throwing money at it would be going with the Ti cards. Ouch--looking at the 2080Ti's makes it seem like a 2080 and 9700K is a bargain.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/979520/Starblazer/

No idea of how good it is, it's some kind of space fleet strategy game, but it's on sale so right now it's around $2.

Update: Not good. Price doesn't matter when you also factor the time spent on games.
Way too many deficiencies in interface, controls, ease of use, the graphics are more like a Quest game and it's I hate how the ship movement won't use spline curves.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wow tetris effect is baller as hell

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

eonwe posted:

Its one of my top recommended titles.
People sleep on it. Hard.
Like, if you're a tetris person, and don't own it, and have VR, shame on you.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Thanks for this, just picked up I Expect You to Die since it has reached a historical low.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The playerbase is probably mostly dead by now, but Space Junkies for $7.50AUD is a pretty drat good buy if you like arena shooters and can get some friends together for a round.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
God drat Audica is a great game! The way you can hold and manipulate a tone via how you rotation your wrist while melee'ing or chainshotting a bunch of notes is so good. So far I'd put this up there with Beat Saber in terms of quality. I especially love the aim graph at the end so you can adjust your shooting accordingly.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It reminds me of Elite Beat Agents, but VR and better.

I suppose it could use a dusting of anime. tasteful boob physics anime.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nuts and Gum posted:

God drat Audica is a great game! The way you can hold and manipulate a tone via how you rotation your wrist while melee'ing or chainshotting a bunch of notes is so good. So far I'd put this up there with Beat Saber in terms of quality. I especially love the aim graph at the end so you can adjust your shooting accordingly.

holy gently caress, went to check it out and it's by far the most expensive VR game i've ever seen. i could easily buy 4-5 other VR games for its price.
what are they thinking? even HL:Alyx is cheaper (by quite a bit)

i hate when companies ignore regional pricing.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

I suppose it could use a dusting of anime. tasteful boob physics anime.

Yeah I took one look at it, thought "Oh poo poo this is VR Ouendan" and hit the buy button. No regrets.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lemming posted:

I thought poker stars was on the Quest too?

It's not as good. Way worse framerate, for one. But the bigger sin is that it doesn't let me watch Youtube on a big window above everyone's heads while playing poker.

I can't believe they haven't added the Quest Link mic yet. It's such a basic feature.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

drat Lone Echo is good. You hear a lot about VR and immersion and sense of scale, but after the typical wow moments of the first VR games, I was going to say the effect is diminished once you get accustomed to VR. But this game proves it's all about the execution.
The moment you get out of the space station and see Saturn and all around you.. holy poo poo. And it's so cooI to ride a Fury and travel around space (I hope everyone says wee! when the main impulse hits), and later moving around big satellites. And of course, the huge spaceship that looks like it's >2kms long is awesome.
The game also shows how VR can boost the immersion and character empathy, with the character of Olivia. It makes her more alive, you start reacting to her like a real person. Although that said, it's really a synergistic effect, VR combined with several other factors: good graphics, good body and facial animations, good voice action, natural dialogue.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Inacio posted:

holy gently caress, went to check it out and it's by far the most expensive VR game i've ever seen. i could easily buy 4-5 other VR games for its price.
what are they thinking? even HL:Alyx is cheaper (by quite a bit)

i hate when companies ignore regional pricing.

What price are you seeing? $30 is on the high end but I wouldn't call it outrageous, same price as Beat Saber (which has worse regional pricing for EU buyers)

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

I think I know the answer to this question--I just don't like it...

If I buy Audica through the Oculus store--I can play on both the Quest and Rift. But all future content must also be bought through the Oculus store too, correct?

I guess what I am asking,: Can I buy Audica on Oculus's store and then buy all the songs/DLC via steam and have it work?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

HycoCam posted:

If I buy Audica through the Oculus store--I can play on both the Quest and Rift. But all future content must also be bought through the Oculus store too, correct?

I guess what I am asking,: Can I buy Audica on Oculus's store and then buy all the songs/DLC via steam and have it work?

That seems doubtful.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

HycoCam posted:

No.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

eonwe posted:

We're all connected in this world :unsmith:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

TheKnife posted:

What price are you seeing? $30 is on the high end but I wouldn't call it outrageous, same price as Beat Saber (which has worse regional pricing for EU buyers)

125 brl. for comparison, HL:Alyx (which i believe is the most expensive VR game down here) is 99 (and is a proper single player full campaign game).

other expensive titles are TWD at 75 and Arizona Sunshine at 73.

Beat Saber and Boneworks are 58; Pavlov, 48; Blade and Sorcery is just 38, which seems to be what most other popular VR games cost.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

What program is everyone using to watch their desktop/youtube/netflix/video files while playing a game? I'm using SteamVR for the most part.

Also I've been using the YUR Fitness app and it's nice to be able to track my playtime and estimated calories burned, in addition to using my smart watch to grab my heart rate. I literally only just integrated it into Google Fit so I don't know if my past workouts will migrate over but the YUR website is spartan but usable anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Penpal posted:

What program is everyone using to watch their desktop/youtube/netflix/video files while playing a game? I'm using SteamVR for the most part.

Also I've been using the YUR Fitness app and it's nice to be able to track my playtime and estimated calories burned, in addition to using my smart watch to grab my heart rate. I literally only just integrated it into Google Fit so I don't know if my past workouts will migrate over but the YUR website is spartan but usable anyway.

OVRToolkit is what you want.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

OVRToolkit is what you want.

Can confirm that it's incredibly good and totally worth the money.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Penpal posted:

What program is everyone using to watch their desktop/youtube/netflix/video files while playing a game?

.... How (and why) do you watch a video while playing a game??

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

Playing the shrek map in beat saber? Why not watch the movie?

Also, Elite Dangerous has commuter moments and such.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

Turin Turambar posted:

It's called being a millenial, grandpa.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Get with the times, everyone has ADHD now.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Jack Trades posted:

Get with the times, everyone has ADHD now.

As an actual ADHD person, I am not sure if I should be mad at this post or not. Anyways I only used ovrdrop to control my podcast app. Though I hear Netflix is a must-have for Elite. Says a lot about Elite though.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

It's basically Space Trucker Simulator. Why not watch a movie during a long flight between the stars?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hi VR thread, maybe you can offer me some advice. I have an Odyssey+ (hey, it was cheap) that I've been exploring the last couple weekends. Last weekend it was all working, then I stupidly followed SteamVR's advice to update my graphics drivers which broke everything, then I refreshed my Windows installation and got things mostly working again over the last few days.

But today I was trying to get back in to Boneworks, and while it worked before, now when I go into the main game the headset display just shuts off after ten or twenty seconds. I still get audio and the tracking is working, because the computer screen still shows my mirrored display as if it's working fine. I haven't found much help online except for suggestions it's a cabling/seating connection issue, but I don't *think* that's the case because as far as I can tell the display immediately works fine again switching back to the WMR portal, and I've been screwing around with other SteamVR stuff without that happening. I can also run around in the Boneworks intro room without that happening. Anyone seen anything similar, in that game specifically, or as a more general issue that might crop up elsewhere?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The worst thing about Tetris effect is that the PSVR preorder bonus was soundtrack sampler but then the official OST took a whole year to come out.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I read this and reflexively started throwing money at my monitor.

Reading this thread is bad for my bank account.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well if you want proof the Half-Life Alyx screenshots are real in-game footage and not bullshots, there's a classic Source missing-asset ERROR visible in the top-left of one of the screenshots that someone missed when taking them. :allears:

(The first image with the combine soldier and a warehouse in the background, top-left, above the window)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Is there a preferred mod for the quest or is it just "attach battery to the back"? Any guides or anything like that?

Etsy has enough stuff that I don't trust any of it not to be crap :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Mr Phillby posted:

The worst thing about Tetris effect is that the PSVR preorder bonus was soundtrack sampler but then the official OST took a whole year to come out.

I read this and reflexively started throwing money at my monitor.

Reading this thread is bad for my bank account.

:getin: