Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

little munchkin posted:

Maine (and to a lesser extent NH and Vermont) has a ton of dying small towns where the main industry of hunting/fishing/whatever is no longer profitable and nobody moves there because they're hours away from any sort of urban center. The population just doesn't get replaced. The effect is strongest in Maine because of how loving big it is. Southern Maine's demographics are normal but for the rest of the state, anything outside of augusta/bangor is getting this effect real bad.

that's why my spouse and I are looking to move to maine. We can get a house on the water there for what a condo costs where we live in nh. We lived in rural iowa before. We know what we're in for lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

At least rural Maine has pretty places. Rural Iowa is a giant corn field.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:
I grew up in Southern Maine and lived there my entire life until 5 months ago.

It's a pretty place with a lot of nice people but it's also getting hit very hard with the capitalism stick. It's a tourism economy which means every job is customer service. Living costs are kinda high for a rural state because it's close enough to Boston to skew things. You can imagine how this plays out: I was an abnormality because I had no family wealth and yet I only had one job (I managed that with my willingness to live in a slum, basically).

Northern Maine is a different planet and I don't really know poo poo about it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'd love to live in Northern Maine but yeah, you need to either have money before going there or be very good at supporting yourself because there is nothing up there.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Limerick posted:

Northern Maine is a different planet and I don't really know poo poo about it.

I go out into the boonies of central me for skiing/hiking and it always boggles my mind how people get by. My mom also works for a nonprofit that does a lot of stuff to address the elderly crisis in remote towns.

Its loving wild to think about how thats only the halfway point and things just get more empty from there on. The furthest north i've been is Acadia.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

little munchkin posted:

I go out into the boonies of central me for skiing/hiking and it always boggles my mind how people get by. My mom also works for a nonprofit that does a lot of stuff to address the elderly crisis in remote towns.

Its loving wild to think about how thats only the halfway point and things just get more empty from there on. The furthest north i've been is Acadia.

My great grandparents lived in Jackman, based on how it was in 2004ish when I was last there visiting old relatives I assume its a ghost town now.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I lived in rural Maine (central technically, north of Bangor though) for most of my life and the only thing there is depressing poverty. There's no jobs, no industry, just drugs, crime, and beautiful country.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

500excf type r posted:

There's no jobs, no industry, just drugs, crime, and beautiful country.

Funny how these always go hand in hand under capitalism with the exception of vacation enclaves of the rich easily accessible by plane.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

i think the best part is how attatching prestige to something not being terrible means you can charge more for it; this means that if commoners want a nice thing they can't afford one without knowing they're funding some atrocity

and of course 'ethical' only means it's a hair less nakedly exploitative

of course, none of these folks would consider that austerity used to have positive associations because it used to mean a rich or powerful person adopting an aesthetic that didn't involve garish displays of wealth and prestige; if they did maybe they would be austere instead of using the concept as a weapon against the rest of society

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Feb 15, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I’d love to live in Stephen King country.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From the retail hell thread:

The Aardvark posted:

https://twitter.com/derektmead/status/1228396894784819203

I do feel bad for the Shipt people. Their app is hot garbage. A lot of the items don't have an image, and there is no aisle location for them so they're wandering the store looking for things without a reference, which means that I usually have to show them where a lot of things are since I walk around the store all day picking items for order pickups.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Megillah Gorilla posted:

As I child I remember all the predictions about what life would be like in/after the 2000's. Flying cars, hover boards, (good) VR entertainment, goods delivered by pneumatic tube, food that tasted like whatever you want but was healthy and nutritious, supersonic mass transit in every city, self-cleaning houses.

Instead we get a legion of people degrading themselves doing menial tasks for rich folk, wandering Target aisles for poorly described items without a proper reference. God drat the future loving sucks lol.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what’s sad is the actual target app will give you the aisle for anything in the store and since there are BLE beacons everywhere in targets also knows exactly where you are so it can give you a map with its location relative to you

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Chomp8645 posted:

As I child I remember all the predictions about what life would be like in/after the 2000's. Flying cars, hover boards, (good) VR entertainment, goods delivered by pneumatic tube, food that tasted like whatever you want but was healthy and nutritious, supersonic mass transit in every city, self-cleaning houses.

lol, what kind of "predictions" of the future were you listening to.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I’d love to live in Stephen King country.

just pop on to realtor dot com. bangor is cheap, even in king's neighborhood

fat bossy gerbil posted:

At least rural Maine has pretty places. Rural Iowa is a giant corn field.

Liar. There are also soybeans :colbert:

plus dead hogs stacked next to dumpsters and the fetid stench of poultry and porcine poo poo every half mile because of unregulated CAFO operations.

but i know what you mean. rural maine at least has trees, views, and land not turned into a poison factory that flows south into the gulf of mexico and creates a giant dead zone

hey, i tied it all together! the dead zone is a Stephen king book!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lambert posted:

lol, what kind of "predictions" of the future were you listening to.

Probably stupid ones. I was a young child, and my parent's are the kind of people who are easily fooled by anyone who just confidently sounds like they know what they're talking about.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Chomp8645 posted:

Probably stupid ones. I was a young child, and my parent's are the kind of people who are easily fooled by anyone who just confidently sounds like they know what they're talking about.

I used to think that one anecdote about a D&D Bard using speech checks to convince everyone the party meets to do what he wants because he is The Moon was an example of game mechanics leading to really implausible results. I've since realized that it's probably the most realistic D&D has ever been.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I went grocery shopping on super bowl Sunday and it was pretty much me and dozens of contractors doing peoples shopping for them

That’s the future I guess

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Do grocery stores not have their own online shopping functionality? Both the major chains here have a fairly well established online presence and their own delivery teams.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

lancemantis posted:

I went grocery shopping on super bowl Sunday and it was pretty much me and dozens of contractors doing peoples shopping for them

That’s the future I guess

that's the great divide

using gig economy services or working for them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hodgepodge posted:

I used to think that one anecdote about a D&D Bard using speech checks to convince everyone the party meets to do what he wants because he is The Moon was an example of game mechanics leading to really implausible results. I've since realized that it's probably the most realistic D&D has ever been.

Also involves floating in on your own cloud of bong smoke. And the ultimate end to that is convincing yourself you are the moon, and then convincing reality you are the moon.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also involves floating in on your own cloud of bong smoke. And the ultimate end to that is convincing yourself you are the moon, and then convincing reality you are the moon.

that or being shot, poisoned, and dumped in the nevka

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

It's an example of bad mechanics because in D&D that requires an incredibly high speech check whereas in real life any random con-artist can just spout off garbage and someone will believe it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Andrast posted:

It's an example of bad mechanics because in D&D that requires an incredibly high speech check whereas in real life any random con-artist can just spout off garbage and someone will believe it

that's why they're called con(fidence) artists

all it takes is saying things really confidently. this is also the secret of right-wing radio

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20200214-amazon-forcing-palestinians-to-list-themselves-as-israelis-for-free-shipping/

quote:

However, customers who list their address as “the Palestinian Territories” are forced to pay shipping and handling fees starting from $24. Amazon spokesman Nick Caplin told the paper that Palestinians can only circumvent the issue “if a customer within the Palestinian Territories enters their address and selects Israel as the country, they can receive free shipping through the same promotion.”

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Inceltown posted:

Do grocery stores not have their own online shopping functionality? Both the major chains here have a fairly well established online presence and their own delivery teams.

a lot of them do, and Target does in my area (tho you have to drive there to pick it up), but Target also operates Shipd, for people who want ~boutique service~/to rent a servant

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah people are going to want to use their own “favorite” human misery service to be the completely mindless ghouls that they love to be

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

wait so the target gig economy delivery app isnt even coordinated with the target store pick up app

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
the "gig economy" feels like a fuking pyramid scheme all the way down and i hate it

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Farm Frenzy posted:

wait so the target gig economy delivery app isnt even coordinated with the target store pick up app

no, they bought out the delivery app and use random contractors to fulfill it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiggum posted:

There are laws that say that food packaging has to be accurate

These laws aren’t as strict as you might think. Even stuff that’s more scrutinized like just the calorie information on fast food is often quite inaccurate. Nobody has to do bomb calorimeter or similarly accurate tests any more (though those were certainly imperfect as well, they at least tended to overestimate), but instead get to just vaguely add up ingredients assuming that the nutritional characteristics of all fats are identical, for example.

One study that I quickly found:

quote:

Of the 269 food items, 50 (19%) contained measured energy contents of at least 100 kcal/portion more than the stated energy contents. Of the 10% of foods with the highest excess energy in the initial sampling, 13 of 17 were available for a second sampling. In the first analysis, these foods contained average measured energy contents of 289 kcal/portion (95% CI, 186 to 392 kcal/portion) more than the stated energy contents; in the second analysis, these foods contained average measured energy contents of 258 kcal/portion (95% CI, 154 to 361 kcal/portion) more than the stated energy contents (P<.001 for each vs 0 kcal/portion difference). In addition, foods with lower stated energy contents contained higher measured energy contents than stated, while foods with higher stated energy contents contained lower measured energy contents (P<.001).

E: well that was a couple of pages ago, ah well

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/WorldBankSAsia/status/1227865071164022784
normal person: What a beautiful forest. :)
capitalist (violently masturbating): GOD loving DAMMIT WHY HAVEN'T WE RAPED THIS PLACE YET?!! :argh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's literally Ayn Rand-style thinking. She wanted all of nature covered in smokestacks and billboards, as a testament to human achievement.

How someone can break their brain so badly to actually want that, I have no idea.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Our apartment recently had it's balcony redone and I just found the letter they sent about it

Line G still cracks me up

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
they said “please” but unfortunately I’m a raging rear end in a top hat, so I’ll be chatting them up about the good word of Marx

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Popoto posted:

they said “please” but unfortunately I’m a raging rear end in a top hat, so I’ll be chatting them up about the good word of Marx

That's a prosecutable offence in Freedumland, isn't it?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

line d is pretty funny to me too

'we might make your balcony more poo poo. this is because we don't want to pay extra for your balcony to be less poo poo. we're still going to charge you the same as when your balcony was bigger, because gently caress you. P.S. we are the only ones who may gently caress the construction workers too'

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

vaguely posted:

line d is pretty funny to me too

'we might make your balcony more poo poo. this is because we don't want to pay extra for your balcony to be less poo poo. we're still going to charge you the same as when your balcony was bigger, because gently caress you. P.S. we are the only ones who may gently caress the construction workers too'

I mean they were in such disrepair some balconies were unusable so a smaller but usable one is a step up

Ours buckled when your stepped out onto it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Koishi Komeiji posted:

capitalist (violently masturbating): GOD loving DAMMIT WHY HAVEN'T WE RAPED THIS PLACE YET?!! :argh:
And of course it's the World Bank lol.

The sinews of neoliberalism, with NATO/Five eyes as the fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Koishi Komeiji posted:

fuckyoufuckyoufuckyou