Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tamba posted:

It's more "Be really careful with encryption on FreeNAS".
It will work perfectly, until you need to replace a failed disk, don't do the extra necessary steps in exactly the right order and lose all data forever (because Raid was your backup).

I never said anything about FreeNAS. In fact I'm using ZoL on Ubuntu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is there any logic behind LSI's card numbering scheme? It seems like 92xx is PCIe 2.0 cards and 93xx is PCIe 3.0, and the 8i/8e/4i4e/16i/16e/8i8e pretty self-evidently represent the ports that card offers, but I don't understand what the xx part represents. Is there a reason you would prefer, say, a 9206-16e or 9201-16e over a 9200-16e?

edit: the 92xx vs 93xx is also not quite squarely PCIe 2.0 vs 3.0... per this list the 9206 uses a SAS2308 which is PCIe 3.0, and the SAS2208 is 3.0 as well. I still legit have no idea how the gently caress that numbering scheme works.

Looks like the best model for a disk shelf would be the 9206-16e since it's PCIe 3.0, assuming I don't want to spend for a 9300-16e or 9301-16e (which jump into the $300+ range). Sadly looks more expensive to find something with a full height bracket.

Or is there no real advantage to going PCIe 3.0 on something as slow as HDDs?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 11, 2020

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
calculate pcie bandwidth and see if it's worth it for your use case.

pci-e 2.0 x8 will do 8GB/s; you would be lucky to get more than 100-150MB/s per hard drive, so you should be ok unless you are truly maxing out your storage or using massive numbers of expanders or tons of ssds

pretty much all of the half-height LSI cards will have a full height bracket available, and usually if you are buying on the second hand market it will include said full height bracket.

That link will also have the manufacturer's version of that specific card, which will save you tons of money vs buying the real deal lsi card.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The LSI brackets, as far as I can tell, are completely compatible across brands. So if you find some cheap old LSI 10XX card for peanuts because it doesn't support big drives, the bracket will probably still fit. Worst case you can get them cheap from the usual scumbags.

Also even if you do use expanders, you're at the mercy of the intermediate SAS connections regarding maximum bandwidth. I have a mostly full DS4243 hanging off of a single 6gbps SAS connection and I haven't seen any issues.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I don't know if this is exactly germane to the thread but it's related to UnRAID so I'm going to ask it here anyway. I'm running UnRAID v6.8.2.

I'm trying to get GitLab set up on my UnRAID box to act as a remote for my dumb hobby projects and to let me do some tracking and ticketing for them. I installed the GitLab-CE container through the community applications plugin. So far so good, I'm able to connect to the web interface, create users, and create projects.

Where I'm stuck is trying to push my project to GitLab via ssh. I added my public key to my user account, at which point the documentation tells me to run
ssh -T git@gitlab.com
to test the connection. I've had no luck with either of
ssh -T git@<UnRAID IP>:<GitLab SSH Port>
or
ssh -T <Asleep_Style>@<UnRAID IP>:<GitLab SSH Port>
The error I get is "ssh: Could not resolve hostname <UnRAID IP>:<GitLab SSH Port>: Name or service not known"
which to me says a DNS? problem? Which is confusing to me because I would only expect a DNS issue if I was trying to connect using a domain name.

On a probably related note, the ssh link from the project page is given as
git@unraid:Asleep_Style/<project>.git
Which I would expect to be more like
git@<UnRAID IP>:<GitLab SSH Port>/<project>.git

While googling, I found this post on the UnRAID forums thread for the GitLab-CE container saying that a variable needs to be added to the container specifying the external URL. I can't see a way to do this through the UnRAID web interface for the container, and I'm not sure how to do this otherwise.

Any advice or resources is appreciated (including a better thread for this question if I missed it). This problem is at the intersection of a bunch of domains where I'm ignorant: My linux is so-so, I haven't ssh'd anywhere in a year, and I've never used docker before. Most of the UnRAID documentation seems to assume knowledge I don't have - If there was a blog post somewhere like "babby's first steps beyond the UnRAID web interface" that would probably help me a lot.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Assuming this is OpenSSH, you can't specify the port with that syntax. Either use -p port or specify the destination as ssh://[user@]hostname[:port].

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Assuming this is OpenSSH, you can't specify the port with that syntax. Either use -p port or specify the destination as ssh://[user@]hostname[:port].

:doh: This is exactly it, thank you.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

You're welcome.

eames
May 9, 2009

The HP website lists a new MicroServer, I thought some posters here might be interested.

Intel Xeon E/Pentium with DDR4 ECC, low profile PCIe 16x, four GbE ports, four 3.5" drive slots, iLO, no NVMe?, high list price.

https://www.hpe.com/uk/en/product-catalog/servers/proliant-servers/pip.1012241014.html

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

eames posted:

The HP website lists a new MicroServer, I thought some posters here might be interested.

Intel Xeon E/Pentium with DDR4 ECC, low profile PCIe 16x, four GbE ports, four 3.5" drive slots, iLO, no NVMe?, high list price.

https://www.hpe.com/uk/en/product-catalog/servers/proliant-servers/pip.1012241014.html

32G max? I just bought a NUC with 64.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

eames posted:

The HP website

Let me stop you right there.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Neslepaks posted:

32G max? I just bought a NUC with 64.

These Microserver 10+es also limited to 4 core CPUs max for whatever reason.

Of course, these things will also probably be $300 or less on CDW a week after volume shipments arrive.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

eames posted:

ServeTheHome provided coverage if you want to find human readable details.
https://www.servethehome.com/hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10-plus-is-worth-getting-excited-about/

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

phosdex posted:

They inspect the code and are blocking the html elements that contain the ads.

Pihole works by blocking domains. If an ad is being served from the same domains as the content, then you can't selectively block one but not the other.
Yep, this is the critical lynchpin of different layers of whitelisting as similar to firewalls and load balancers. PiHole doesn't normally have access to anything besides a URL, if that (TLS should block the URI from being seen below layer 7 / app), and when ads are on the same domain, it can get really frustrating. There's some techniques like doing MITM proxying and some deep packet inspection to help but Youtube and many other sites will fundamentally require layer 7 blocking because it's like they're doing HTTP based SSL for delivering ads to people's eyeballs. Working within people's browsers is content based blocking and is much easier to associate semantically with "oh, this is an ad" than lower level stuff. If Apple and Nvidia ever support ad blocker type extensions on Shield or tvOS we may have a chance to do this, but I doubt Apple and Nvidia will risk getting sued by Google and Facebook for this. Heck, even uBlock's original folks were being paid under the table by Google.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

eames posted:

How is HPE updating service, do they still gate that behind a pay wall?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Has anyone screwed around with Stratis?

I'm thinking of ditching Unraid for Centos8 since I'm very comfortable in Linux and Docker.

BTRFS support is basically gone now that RH has dropped support, and I don't want to use ZFS. The machine is hooked up to a UPS if that matters.

I notice there is no RAID for Stratis at the moment which is a bummer. I like the idea of having parity for at least one drive failure. I also like how Unraid leverages a cache drive in a tiered way.

Edit: also, I prefer Centos to Ubuntu so I'd rather avoid that path.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

wargames posted:

The only recent experience I have with HPE updating was the N36L RAC-on-PCI-express card which got an update long after it was EOL, because it had a problem whereby sometimes login would break.

Matt Zerella posted:

Has anyone screwed around with Stratis?

I'm thinking of ditching Unraid for Centos8 since I'm very comfortable in Linux and Docker.

BTRFS support is basically gone now that RH has dropped support, and I don't want to use ZFS. The machine is hooked up to a UPS if that matters.

I notice there is no RAID for Stratis at the moment which is a bummer. I like the idea of having parity for at least one drive failure. I also like how Unraid leverages a cache drive in a tiered way.

Edit: also, I prefer Centos to Ubuntu so I'd rather avoid that path.
RAID (as you said, and it's considered optional), integrity checking (also considered optional, doesn't sound like it'll be useful for end-to-end integrity like ZFS uses it) and encryption are all "in a future version" according to the design document updated on the 10th of January this year.
The idea that integrity checking and RAID-like features are optional is bonkers to me, because they were central to ZFS and I don't see how you can retrofit them if they aren't part of the design unless you have GEOM-like layering - which is not evident from the design document, and the hybrid LVM/FS design of all such filesystems don't really allow for a GEOM-like framework (it's why GEOM can never do what ZFS does, even when UFS2 gets checksumming).
They get a lot of points for doing a BSD and MIT-compatible license, though.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 14, 2020

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

wargames posted:

Usually only BIOS updates and the full SPP package require maintenance contract outside of warranty. And I think some critical BIOS updates have also been free. Of course if you have one system with warranty or maintenance contract you can get updates for everything.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
You can usually google the name of the ISO and find someone hosting it, often times on HP's own site. I haven't done it since I moved off the ML370 though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Saukkis posted:

Usually only BIOS updates and the full SPP package require maintenance contract outside of warranty. And I think some critical BIOS updates have also been free. Of course if you have one system with warranty or maintenance contract you can get updates for everything.

Don't support these dumb games by paying HPE money.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

If I want to have a simple backup of all the pictures I have on my Synology, and will continue to add in the future, is Backblaze B2 still a recommended option, using Cloud Sync and just 1-way sync?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

refleks posted:

If I want to have a simple backup of all the pictures I have on my Synology, and will continue to add in the future, is Backblaze B2 still a recommended option, using Cloud Sync and just 1-way sync?

It's what I do. Turn on versioning and 30 days of history in B2 so that one virus doesn't encrypt all your photos, the synology happily uploads that to B2, and they're all gone.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
My sister noticed a folder of pictures on her Synology were corrupted. She said it was reporting the drive health as ok. I'm not very familiar with Synology though - what are the next steps we should take?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Heners_UK posted:

In my case my router remains my DHCP server and hands out only the two pihole addresses as DNS servers.

The Home Networking thread has some good further information, for example, https://firebog.net/ has a good collection of blocklists. I've added those to both PiHoles and had to do minimal whitelisting.

I don't get many ads. YouTube on the SheildTV appears to have beaten it, but otherwise I can't think of the last time I saw one. I also get nice, quick, always availabel DNS service with the redudancy of having a Docker Container on Unraid and a Pi both running PiHole.

Pihole working! Thanks thread.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

fletcher posted:

My sister noticed a folder of pictures on her Synology were corrupted. She said it was reporting the drive health as ok. I'm not very familiar with Synology though - what are the next steps we should take?

If s folder is corrupted she might have file system issues.

Does she have a backup?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

It's what I do. Turn on versioning and 30 days of history in B2 so that one virus doesn't encrypt all your photos, the synology happily uploads that to B2, and they're all gone.

Anything else I should be aware of? I can't seem to get an application key to work with Cloyd Sync, only my Master?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

refleks posted:

Anything else I should be aware of? I can't seem to get an application key to work with Cloyd Sync, only my Master?

I had trouble getting this going as well, but I see one of my buckets uses it. Does your Cloud Sync specifically say it supports "applicationKeyId"'s? I am on DSM 6.2.2 / CloudSync 2.3.14. For single users on personal accounts using your master key is fine. ApplicationKeyId's are there for business users where you want segregation of permissions. If you just have one giant bucket it doesn't matter.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Axe-man posted:

If s folder is corrupted she might have file system issues.

Does she have a backup?

Yup it's all backed up to B2

Is there some sort of scan you can run in synology?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Not something you would want too I would create a ticket with synology support. File system damage is pretty much just clear out the storage pool and remake from the start. It might not be though!

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

I had trouble getting this going as well, but I see one of my buckets uses it. Does your Cloud Sync specifically say it supports "applicationKeyId"'s? I am on DSM 6.2.2 / CloudSync 2.3.14. For single users on personal accounts using your master key is fine. ApplicationKeyId's are there for business users where you want segregation of permissions. If you just have one giant bucket it doesn't matter.

Yeah, same versions - 6.2.2 and 2.3.14. I just use it for private, so it doesn't really matter.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

H110Hawk posted:

Don't support these dumb games by paying HPE money.

It's a minor hassle compared to something like Dell which refuses to even sell maintenance after 7 years. Just at the end of last year we finally shut down one financial system server that had been running for something like 12 years, all that time under HPE maintenance contract. I would expect servers to be under warranty or maintenance contract anyway, so the paywall is a non-issue. And if a decently long warranty has expired, then the server is probably under such a maintenance phase that paywalled BIOS upgrades seldom have much interesting to offer and the critical updates like recent Intel microcode one seem to be free to download.

The HPE SPP package is such a convenience it is almost worth the expense, I wish Dell would offer something like it. I had to create my own CentOS 7 USB boot stick to update the firmware on our Dell servers running Ubuntu.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Saukkis posted:

The HPE SPP package is such a convenience it is almost worth the expense, I wish Dell would offer something like it.

They do. Go to the downloads page and look for "Platform Specific Bootable ISO". I just used one on my R720 and it was updated in December, scans the whole system and updates firmware etc all in one shot.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Am I reading this right that the ASrock Rack has onboard graphics?

I got a pretty sweet deal on a 2700x yesterday for my move to Debian 10 and BTRFS/Docker.

It's a pricey board but the features on it look pretty great (IPMI especially).

Poking around eBay I'm seeing about 220-250 for it. Anywhere I can get it any cheaper?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Matt Zerella posted:

Am I reading this right that the ASrock Rack has onboard graphics?

I got a pretty sweet deal on a 2700x yesterday for my move to Debian 10 and BTRFS/Docker.

It's a pricey board but the features on it look pretty great (IPMI especially).

Poking around eBay I'm seeing about 220-250 for it. Anywhere I can get it any cheaper?

Yeah it has an ast2500 on there for ipmi and vga out I believe.

220 would be a smoking deal!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
One of the disks I had in JBOD on my DS214se shat the bed overnight. I might recover some of the stuff, non of it critical. I have SOME of it backed up on another disk as well.

I had 2x3TB in the thing, I want to double my storage, and perhaps have a RAID redundancy. I'm also leaning towards upgrading my appliance. It looks like the price performance curve on 3.5" HD's is 6TB? edit: hmm Toshiba x300 8TB for under $200...

The DS214se will support 2x6TB drives which would be nice, but without redundancy.

I'm looking at a DS218+ or a QNAP TS-251B. Do either of these support an external disk as part of a RAID?

If not, I suppose something like a Synology DS418 is in play. I would also like if the device I end up purchasing would support a PLEX transcode situation.

Is this enough info for some recommendations? I'm not poor anymore, but I don't want to go crazy.

Thanks!

edit: lol GB vs TB, how'd I even search for disks!? I'm getting old!

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 17, 2020

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Just as a note, if you are looking at the datasheet, those are old.

As long as you are up to date, your DS214se will allow up to i believe 16 tb disks from seagate is the highest one, the datasheet is simply the largest tested disks from when it comes out, it is never updated.

The ds218+ would not allow external disks as part of the raid. A DS718+ would allow that with a synology expansion bay.

DS218+ (and DS718+) and DS418play support transcoding, the DS418play has architecture to optimize transcoding. For synology, and plex, plex requires a subscription or life time subscription to use hardware transcoding.

Remember: you only need hardware transcoding if your devices are not able to play the codec it is trying to play otherwise it does nothing, and the NAS and plex will just play the video, so if that is real important to you, it is something to keep in mind:
https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's good info. I'm pretty up on how plex works. I recently built an old PC from a buddy into a Plex server, which is pretty inefficient and noisy, but it's been working and pretty nice to use. Now I have to get my storage back up and running.

edit: oh hmm, maybe I save money going with 2 big disks in the Synology and sticking with the DS214se

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

That's good info. I'm pretty up on how plex works. I recently built an old PC from a buddy into a Plex server, which is pretty inefficient and noisy, but it's been working and pretty nice to use. Now I have to get my storage back up and running.

edit: oh hmm, maybe I save money going with 2 big disks in the Synology and sticking with the DS214se

Shucking is also a good way to get more storage on the cheap. You're in for more warranty hassle that way as you have to keep a chassis around to do the RMA, or just self insure it. (AKA buy a new one when it dies.)

Also oh god GB vs TB.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Another thing is hardware transcoding requires Plex Pass and I'd rather spend that money elsewhere tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

12TB Easystores for $180:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-12tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6364259.p?skuId=6364259
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-Easystore-12TB-External-USB-3-0-Hard-Drive-Black/323998058777