Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Really makes u think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
so what if it's not true, it's a gOoD pOiNt

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Somebody’s gotta tell these guys about the Something Awful forums

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

pooch516 posted:

1 week ago: "Lol have fun playing sportsball in the Superb Owl! Who cares about sports?"

Today: "It's simply science that these trans women shouldn't be able to play against other women, furthermore"
https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/f2vn2p/girls_sue_to_block_participation_of_transgender

No, don’t you see? Denser Bones lead to less entertaining injuries!

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Walton Simons posted:

Oh, unpopularopinion.

Topic:

This got gilded in the comments.

The left rarely forms an opinion based on fact. They more often form an opinion based on emotions, and try to find anything that will make them right...

The right rarely forms opinion based on emotion... they take facts, form an opinion, and if you can actually refute their facts and evidence, it's possible to convince them that they are wrong...

You cant convince a liberal that they're wrong. You just cant, not with all the evidence in the world.

They didnt come to their conclusion because of evidence... so how are you gonna change their mind, even if you have all the evidence required and can PROVE them wrong... they still wont believe you. Why? Because. They dont believe certain things because that's what the facts say, they believe these things because they are emotional, and in their world, intense feelings win arguments, not cold facts or evidence. Emotions.

A bonus from gilded guy:

Dear libtards: im right ur wrong. FACHTS.

I can't imagine being conceited enough to think that my political bent is right about everything and I can prove it. This is Dunning-Kruger.
[/quote]

Owning the libs one powerpoint presentation at a time lmfao

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The average person holds their views due to a weird mix of factual and emotional reasons. As an example, I'm an atheist both because of all the study I've done on my former Christian faith (and other religions, too), as well as the fact that Christians hurt me very deeply on an emotional level during my childhood. The whole "you can't reason someone out of any position they didn't reason themselves into," schtick is false and unhelpful. Assuming other people are unthinking, unchanging ideology robots is plain ignorance. Sit somebody down and ask them why they believe something, really question them on it, and you'll likely get a big mess of contradictory reasons. Just doing this sort of questioning can get someone to change their mind.

Also, never go on Reddit; poo poo's Chinatown.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pvt.Scott posted:

poo poo's Chinatown.

Pardon?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
think its an awkward ref to the line "forget it jake, its chinatown"

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
which is yet another annoying thing goons have started doing recently, reddit-style

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm guessing it's

urbandictionary posted:

2. A drama thriller made in 1974 directed by Roman Polanski and staring Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway about drought-ridden '30s L.A., corruption, weird family relations, and a divorce specializing private detective; spawned the phrase "it's Chinatown" - the phrase is used to refer to a situation that is impossible to deal with due to the fact that it is the result of issues imbedded in a tangled web of too many people's personal problems and/or ambitions, greed, or deviance, and that there is nothing one person on the outside of that web can do to set everything right because the whole situation is too hosed up.

But I'd probably avoid its use for like three reasons

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I get the racism angle and the infamous child rapist angle but what's the third one?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

I get the racism angle and the infamous child rapist angle but what's the third one?

It's annoying

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Forget it colonel, its GBS

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Gone Fashing posted:

which is yet another annoying thing goons have started doing recently, reddit-style

recently? the movie came out in 1974

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah and all i want for christmas is you came out in 1994 but hit number 1 for the first time in 2019

HyperCubed4
Jan 30, 2020

Walton Simons posted:

Oh, unpopularopinion.

Topic:

This got gilded in the comments.

The left rarely forms an opinion based on fact. They more often form an opinion based on emotions, and try to find anything that will make them right...

The right rarely forms opinion based on emotion... they take facts, form an opinion, and if you can actually refute their facts and evidence, it's possible to convince them that they are wrong...

You cant convince a liberal that they're wrong. You just cant, not with all the evidence in the world.

They didnt come to their conclusion because of evidence... so how are you gonna change their mind, even if you have all the evidence required and can PROVE them wrong... they still wont believe you. Why? Because. They dont believe certain things because that's what the facts say, they believe these things because they are emotional, and in their world, intense feelings win arguments, not cold facts or evidence. Emotions.

r/unpopularopinion is great if you want to see milquetoast commentary in sociopolitical issues filtered through a thin veil of bigotry. "It's disgusting that when a domestic abuse victim is a man, people try to justify it," whoa buddy, careful you don't burn yourself on that hot take

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Gone Fashing posted:

Goons can have a little Chinatown, as a treat

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Gone Fashing posted:

think its an awkward ref to the line "forget it jake, its chinatown"

This is correct. I was undercutting my point.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
My referencing Chinatown has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my reference to Chinatown

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Daikloktos posted:

My referencing Chinatown has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my reference to Chinatown

You're a very nosy fellow, kitty cat. Huh? You know what happens to nosy fellows? Huh?

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here's another great new subreddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/ReturnToTradition/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh no I am not going there

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

How many posts start with "WOMEN SHOULD"

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Hihohe posted:

How many posts start with "WOMEN SHOULD"

It’s explicitly implied through context

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hoooly gently caress, like thirty seconds of scrolling through that had me seething.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

This is peak Reddit.

I can imagine how they high fived at the brainstorm meeting after coming up with that new meme format.

The creator of the sub has been suspended already.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Now we're gonna stick a bunch of sallow-eyed broken men from history next to colorful, happy and expressive men from the present day, but PLEASE understand it's the PTSD-riddled monochrome conscripts of yesteryear with whom you're meant to identify.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Hoooly gently caress, like thirty seconds of scrolling through that had me seething.

Then you’ll love the one that one of the posters also post in https://www.reddit.com/r/tapewormcentral/

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oh drat, they're posting pictures of Wehrmacht officers.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they're not even trying to be subtle here.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Back then: nazi:
Now: GAY

This says a lot about society

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Grevling posted:

Back then: nazi:
Now: GAY

This says a lot about society

The future: gay Nazis?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/theepictheymer/status/1229907338414481408

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Scrolling through this thread has been an experience.
https://www.reddit.com/r/YangForPresidentHQ/comments/f6b3vo/andrew_yang_joins_cnn_as_a_political_commentator/

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Snowy posted:

Then you’ll love the one that one of the posters also post in https://www.reddit.com/r/tapewormcentral/

What the hell is that weird racist transphobic meme poo poo? What does it have to do with tapeworms?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I love how r/rational is a sub for "rationalist fiction" in the lineage of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

HyperCubed4 posted:

r/unpopularopinion is great if you want to see milquetoast commentary in sociopolitical issues filtered through a thin veil of bigotry. "It's disgusting that when a domestic abuse victim is a man, people try to justify it," whoa buddy, careful you don't burn yourself on that hot take

Someone once said that most Reddit posters are brogressives, liberal when it's to their advantage. For legalising soft drugs, etc. And they go hard right when it's to their advantage: for lowering taxes, for abolishing unions. Reminds me of someone I work with who is bewildered by the need for workplace health and safety, anti discrimination laws, diversity efforts "because I've never needed it".

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The everyday carry subreddit seems like a goldmine.

https://twitter.com/kittynouveau/status/1229232968582991872

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Packin' heat to my day job as a podiatrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Zero flashlights? Jesus Christ...