Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I dipped my hard hat in acetone and all I got was removed from the site because I contaminated the entire batch of acetone at the chemical plant with dissolved polystyrene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Powered Descent posted:

From helmets.org, which is mostly about bicycle helmets but I'm sure a lot of this applies to hard hats as well:

https://helmets.org/replace.htm

tl;dr Replace it if it's taken an impact or has any visible damage, otherwise it's probably fine.

Hmm, cool. I was mildly worried about the bike helmet I left at my parents' house. I only use it 3-6 times/year, but it's probably 12 years old at this point. It's stored in their basement, so it's out of the sun. I also didn't use it much when I had it cause I was lazy.

My current helmet is like 4 years old and has had more use then the old one every did. I was going to eventually cycle it to my parents' house, but maybe it'll be actually less safe than the old one based on how much exposure it's had.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
5 minutes before this picture:
"I can exceed the rated load, I know what I'm doing"

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
The hands-on-hips "welps" pose must've gone on for at least 10 minutes after that one.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

SerthVarnee posted:

From what i've gathered in this thread and the geology fetish thread, you are going to want to put that helmet somewhere dirty and then get it muddied and scraped up ASAP if you ever want people to acknowledge any single sentence coming out of your mouth.
It got nice and muddy in a trench today.
Shouldnt take too long to ding it up real nice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That is someone who just discovered that the net capacity decreases over the side.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

That is someone who just discovered that the net capacity decreases over the side.

"But I wasn't using a net!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nyet capacity

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Y'all still going on about hardhats while I'm over here groaning audibly over this motherfucker standing in what is OBVIOUSLY a FUNCTIONING LAB with BARE loving FEET.

Literally shaking rn.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

DrHammond posted:

Literally shaking rn.

Handled organomercury in the last few months?

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

GotLag posted:

Handled organomercury in the last few months?

Well I certainly didn't step in any :colbert:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I know it's probably not, but that lab floor looks like carpet. Still not as bad as carpet in the bathroom.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I went to high school in loving Texas. People had flip flops on in chemistry a few times.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

FogHelmut posted:

I know it's probably not, but that lab floor looks like carpet. Still not as bad as carpet in the bathroom.

Nah, it's educational-grade linoleum, mottled so the inevitable spills and burns and scuffs don't show up so readily.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Lab carpet full of mercury that squishes when you walk around. Or moves like those weird grass fields over lakes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Who was it who got the Outside Context Problem avatar?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

Who was it who got the Outside Context Problem avatar?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904642&perpage=40&pagenumber=101#post502019159

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I kinda think it would work better with just a ? outside the triangle instead of a black starburst.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/FZGttze.mp4

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Scientific Testing of Safety Equipment, very OSHA :hmmyes:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Personification of the thread title

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Crane Solomon

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Please tell me that was held to the side at least.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/tTHyaKE.mp4

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Would that have cut the rope, the wing, or some combination of both?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What even is the thing the guy is way up high on? Like a balloon but he's tethered to the ground?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tangy yet delightful posted:

What even is the thing the guy is way up high on? Like a balloon but he's tethered to the ground?

Yeah I also am trying to figure this out. I think you're right and it's either a balloon or parachute/kite tethered to the ground. If that's the case, he's basically a human barrage balloon and his cable doesn't appear to be flagged in any way and as a pilot that is really pissing me off. Extremely dangerous.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Would that have cut the rope, the wing, or some combination of both?

Depends on what's on the ends of the rope. If it's a free-hanging rope on a parachutist then it would probably wrap around the wing/prop/empennage and drag the parachutist along while causing some damage and throwing the plane out of control. If it's a balloon on one end and an anchor on the other, it would probably slice off a chunk of the plane's airframe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NoneMoreNegative posted:

How did you get video from 7000 BCE?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

tangy yet delightful posted:

Original source, I think - he's paragliding?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI3Nq-fjkXI

edit: switched video for a longer version

uvar fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 15, 2020

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I like how the guy looks like he immediately sets about dropping the rope before the pilot comes round for another go :eyepop:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hmm. Still not enough information to exactly determine who is the rear end in a top hat.

If that's a regular paragliding spot with a fixed towline installation and there's a NOTAM about it and the pilot didn't check ahead of the flight, it's on the pilot. You need to make yourself aware of all potential hazards in your intended area of flight. There are a couple of parachuting zones around where I fly, and when they're active there is an announcement about it on the local frequency every couple of minutes.

If the guy set up a towing system in a random spot and didn't file a NOTAM to warn aircraft, he's the rear end in a top hat because that kind of poo poo kills people and is the reason we have rules about airspace in the first place.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I found a better video (and edited post above).

And here's the official Slutrapport! It's from Sweden. https://www.havkom.se/en/investigat...ypen-ozone-mojo

quote:

An aircraft of the model SAAB MFI 15 took off from Sundbro, Uppsala, for a VFR flight to Johannisberg, Västerås. Shortly thereafter began winching of a paraglider from Härkeberga, located along the aircraft's route.
At the final stage of the winching, at about 350 meters altitude, the paraglider pilot saw an airplane coming straight at him at a slightly lower altitude. The aircraft passed below the paraglider a few seconds later without colliding. The height difference was estimated by the paraglider pilot to about 50 feet and the distance to the line was 1 to 3 meters.
The pilot of the aircraft never perceived the event. The map data that the pilot used - and which is the most widely used in general aviation - had no special marking of the paragliding activities at Härkeberga. Neither the paraglider nor the aircraft flew at altitudes implying contact with controlled airspace.
In order to investigate the possible consequences, SHK commissioned a study of a hypothetical sequence of events where the aircraft collides with the line.
The overall conclusion from the study is that no serious consequences would have occurred in a collision between the aircraft and the paraglider line.
The incident was caused by the pilot's flight maps lacking data on paragliding activities at Härkeberga which meant that the flight could not be planned and carried out safely. Contributing factor has been reduced visibility due to backlight conditions.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Does that mean someone didn't update the database?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I find it hard to believe that no serious consequences could have resulted from a propeller plane hitting a line mid-air, but have no idea if the line is strong enough that getting entangled in the propeller could cause the paraglider to get reeled to the propeller. It'd probably just snap immediately with no effect, but I want to believe.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

uvar posted:

And here's the official Slutrapport! It's from Sweden.

The pilot of the aircraft never perceived the event. The map data that the pilot used - and which is the most widely used in general aviation - had no special marking of the paragliding activities at Härkeberga.
The incident was caused by the pilot's flight maps lacking data on paragliding activities at Härkeberga which meant that the flight could not be planned and carried out safely. Contributing factor has been reduced visibility due to backlight conditions.

That seems like something you really should have on a map.

It's probably okay to lose the 'church with spire' and 'Post office' icons if it means you can have one for 'Warning, barrage balloons!'

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

here in the US we have the NOTAM system for pilots. Basically the guy or company paragliding request a notice be sent out through the system where they will be and at what altitudes and when. The pilot who is planning his flight looks at notices for the places hes flying and sees the notice and plans around it ideally.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bad news: the paraglider warning will be hidden among forty‐four warnings about cranes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Platystemon posted:

Bad news: the paraglider warning will be hidden among forty‐four warnings about cranes.

Solution: hide the paraglider among as many cranes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shut up Meg posted:

That seems like something you really should have on a map.

It's probably okay to lose the 'church with spire' and 'Post office' icons if it means you can have one for 'Warning, barrage balloons!'

Ideally it's both marked on the chart and filed as a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) or equivalent. This chart shows two parachute activity areas:

So when flying through that area you should be keeping your eye out for parachutists and aircraft dropping them. However, the area may not be active at all times, and of course it's possible that people are out parachuting somewhere else for a special event. Whether you are operating a parachuting business or plan to do it on your own, for safety you should also file a NOTAM about your specific activity, even if it's just a vague schedule. This one gives the location and the time: daily from 11am to 5pm local.

quote:

!RIU 04/051 New Jerusalem, Tracy, CA (K1Q4) Airspace parachute jumping exercise WI an area defined as 1 nautical mile radius of MOD275019 (2.5 nautical miles northwest 1Q4) surface-13,000 feet daily 1700-0100 Apr 11, 2019 1700Z to Apr 11, 2020 0100Z

It sounds like in the near-wire-strike case, the area was not marked on any charts (either because it was irregular or because it was overlooked) and the operators failed to file a NOTAM as well. Bad news.