Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I said come in! posted:

This was that Boogie guy who turned out to be a fascist who beat his wife and almost killed their dog one time.

Wait what the gently caress

I remember him concern trolling about gay marriage and immigration but that other stuff is news to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Bob Ross memorial weekend on twitch started. Gonna get blazed and watch some trees grow out of paint

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i watch a joy of painting episode at least once a week

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sonic Movie Review:

I was trying to play "who's going to see Sonic" while waiting in line and thought I was nailing it but then remembered that Birds of Prey was also out and that killed all my predictions. The little kids in the movie loved it and it was definitely a movie for younger kids, which is weird because I don't typically associate kids as being the dedicated fanbase for that franchise. To give you a better idea of the demographic they were gunning for: Sonic flosses in this movie. Twice. In two different scenes that are like an hour apart. The movie also has a lot of very prevalent product placements even more brazen than the shoes, including saying the Olive Garden slogan out loud. All the best jokes in the movie were also unfortunately in the trailer, so they gave away all their best jokes with one exception and it's a bit involving sanic. Pretty much every Jim Carey scene in the entire movie is in the trailers so if you were expecting a bit more depth it's not there, he's more of a visual gag than a villain.

So, in short, it's exactly what I expected. Redoing all the Sonic animation makes more sense after seeing it, where the final two scenes just outright say "hey we're already working on a sequel." If you don't already know you're going to see it, don't bother because all the best parts of the movie are just in the trailers, including the ending that they outright spoiled. If you have kids though, they'll probably like it.

e: my favorite part was the credits where they had an original rap song that sounded like it came out of a Knuckles level from Sonic Adventure 2

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 15, 2020

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sonic still manages to be popular with new generations of kids despite everything; marketing is evidently one of the few things they haven't cocked up with that franchise over the years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am surprised that Sonic has stayed popular, and made its way into new generations. I honestly hadnt realized it was able to stay relevant.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Motto posted:

Sonic still manages to be popular with new generations of kids despite everything; marketing is evidently one of the few things they haven't cocked up with that franchise over the years.
there's a reason mascots were so popular

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Is flossing already out of style for The Kids? Like they were all doing it two years ago but that's like forever ago in internet/current age time.

It's like how Mineccraft is already considered retro at this point by some of the youngest of adults. Like if you got into the game into the game in grade school in the year(s) it came out you're like, either about to finish high school, finished it, or even maybe you've gotten a college degree by this point.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Is flossing already out of style for The Kids? Like they were all doing it two years ago but that's like forever ago in internet/current age time.

It's like how Mineccraft is already considered retro at this point by some of the youngest of adults. Like if you got into the game into the game in grade school in the year(s) it came out you're like, either about to finish high school, finished it, or even maybe you've gotten a college degree by this point.

There was a huge collection of groans the first time while a few little kids laughed. The second time it happened you could hear audible confusion from everyone

I still occasionally see like, little kids doing fortnite dances in public but otherwise middle-school and above seem very much over it

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 15, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Sonic Movie Review:

I was trying to play "who's going to see Sonic" while waiting in line and thought I was nailing it but then remembered that Birds of Prey was also out and that killed all my predictions. The little kids in the movie loved it and it was definitely a movie for younger kids, which is weird because I don't typically associate kids as being the dedicated fanbase for that franchise. To give you a better idea of the demographic they were gunning for: Sonic flosses in this movie. Twice. In two different scenes that are like an hour apart. The movie also has a lot of very prevalent product placements even more brazen than the shoes, including saying the Olive Garden slogan out loud. All the best jokes in the movie were also unfortunately in the trailer, so they gave away all their best jokes with one exception and it's a bit involving sanic. Pretty much every Jim Carey scene in the entire movie is in the trailers so if you were expecting a bit more depth it's not there, he's more of a visual gag than a villain.

So, in short, it's exactly what I expected. Redoing all the Sonic animation makes more sense after seeing it, where the final two scenes just outright say "hey we're already working on a sequel." If you don't already know you're going to see it, don't bother because all the best parts of the movie are just in the trailers, including the ending that they outright spoiled. If you have kids though, they'll probably like it.

e: my favorite part was the credits where they had an original rap song that sounded like it came out of a Knuckles level from Sonic Adventure 2

hm cant identify that the wiz khalifa track is actually remixing metropolis zone from sonic 2, bad look and casts doubt on your ability to accurately review this "flick" (flickies)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ive never played a huge majority of the Sonic games including 1-3. Actually, it's pretty much just Adventure 1/2 and 06 that I've played and never touched any of the other ones

I listen to the Sonic R soundtrack constantly though

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i rest my case

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is there really a good reason that the flashlight needs to run out of batteries in Prey.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On the final boss of RPG mode in GranBlue Versus but it is super hard. Hoping to still beat this tonight but I also want to play more Daemon X Machina.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I am surprised that Sonic has stayed popular, and made its way into new generations. I honestly hadnt realized it was able to stay relevant.

Eco-radicalism and anti-MIC is more in vogue than ever, we were just talking about this

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FF7 would have been (a lot) better if the whole game was about ecoterrorism and Sephiroth was just the scion of capitalism who turned on even Shinra for being too small in scale

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Everyone who calls them terrorists is doing propaganda for shinra

They're activists

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that's only if you allow the imperialists to imprint upon you a negative meaning of the word terrorism, posted galaxy brainly

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's propaganda of the deed

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

SeXReX posted:

They're activists

Shinra is right and they're the ones Im gonna terrorize

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SeXReX posted:

They're activists

I think if you blow up a reactor that is terrorism even if you're right to blow it up and no one gets hurt.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

AVALANCHE clearly intend to win, at least in part, through causing terror. They want the population to be scared and recognize that Shin-Ra Electric Power Company can't keep the same, thereby undermining said company's... power (:shobon:)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPwDdhenWTg

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Doc V posted:

agreed, post Valentine

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of high fashion but JJBA just looks awful in every way to me

I'm not gonna try to convince you why you should like it or anything like that because if you don't like it (which you don't) then that is perfectly okay. I want to make that clear up front that I'm not trying to make fun of you for not liking it. I do, however, want to say what I do like about the designs.

In JJBA, Araki really enjoys 4 things that are important to designs. They are as follows:

Western media (defined as "anything not Japanese" though that's not to say Japanese elements aren't in his stories and designs as well, but there is a larger western influence)

Horror (he absolutely adores horror and also utilizes horror in terms of design to help accentuate and punctuate aspects of someone's design and to help further develop a character through their looks/presence)

Fashion (characters pose as a means of communicating with both the reader and the rest of the cast in jjba. Poses are referenced from fashion magazines and it is through these poses that you can get a feel for a character's general attitude, emotion, and even get a good idea of how dangerous they are)

Iconography (This is a big one. When it comes to jjba designs, while often he'll draw characters on volume covers wearing something he saw in a fashion magazine or just wearing something maybe a little different than usual, the character's main clothing that they wear tends to be something that can be looked at as an icon or a group of icons abstracted into an outfit, though this is more clearly seen with stands since a character will wear an outfit with clear symbols on it while the stand is an embodiment of those symbols)

Cowcaster posted:

uh there's a great number of things you can point out about araki's designs but "diverse character body shapes" is not really one of them

Araki's volume cover work suffers from everyone having the same face but Araki is also specifically aiming for the mathematical equation of what is considered to be beautiful, going after a more greek sculpture style of face than during chapters where faces have a lot more going on. Body shapes vary greatly as well, you just don't necessarily get to see that if all you've seen are the greek sculpture covers.

Cowcaster posted:

they're all upside down triangles with muscles my friend

They are most definitely not.

I would very much like to do a more indepth writeup with picture examples if cowcaster and RBA are interested and nobody here has any problems with that but I don't want to cause any problems if anyone's going to be bothered by a bunch of words and pics going on about jjba character design.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

holy poo poo the loving calibration screen I think my heart just exploded.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
overall i liked the sonic movie

but friendly reminder that, per the text in sonic adventure, sonic kills cops and is pro-union

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

There was a huge collection of groans the first time while a few little kids laughed. The second time it happened you could hear audible confusion from everyone

I still occasionally see like, little kids doing fortnite dances in public but otherwise middle-school and above seem very much over it

The much-feared singularity isn't going to be technological in nature, but sociological. Soon everything will be retro as soon as it's hip, lame as soon as it's cool, old as soon as it's new, and nobody will know what the gently caress.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

THERE ARE NO LAWS IN SPACE!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

McSpanky posted:

The much-feared singularity isn't going to be technological in nature, but sociological. Soon everything will be retro as soon as it's hip, lame as soon as it's cool, old as soon as it's new, and nobody will know what the gently caress.

*while wearing stained cargo shorts that say 'GAMER' on the rear end* finally my fashion choices will be unassailable

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YknrH0Ws8Es

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve been playing a bit of Super Smash Bros Ultimate and all of the Sonic spirit fights include music with very self-serious lyrics, its a little embarrassing.

Im gonna keep equating sonic with kingdom hearts, both are series that I would call grotesque and remarkably uncool but that somehow manage to have sizeable fandoms

Zushio
May 8, 2008
JoJo is goddamn amazing and I will gladly support more JoJo Talk and add to said discussion where pertinent. The above write up covers a lot of what makes JoJo great, but there is a lot more. There is absolutely an absurdist level to the show and it sometimes feels more like something you should be watching/reading in Heavy Metal rather than Shonen Jump. It's somewhat hard to pin down the exact charm though, because there definitely are some bad aspects. Maybe an awareness of itself? Not in the bad way though.

I'm not even a huge anime fan except for old school mecha and maybe one show every other season. Also a big fan of Akagi & Kaiji. Recent standouts for me are One Punch Man, Mob Psycho 100, Double Decker: Doug & Kiril, and Mr. Tonegawa's Middle Management Blues. I also enjoy My Hero Academia (I known its lame shonen but its funny). My secret shame is that I genuinely enjoy Food Wars. 60% of the YouTube channels I subscribe to are food related and the only TV I watch is cooking shows. This will be the only defense I mount regarding my taste.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 15, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

more like kingdom farts. fuckin OWNED, nerds!!!!!!!!!!!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

the track still gives me chills even in this deku scrub trumpet version

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve been playing a bit of Super Smash Bros Ultimate and all of the Sonic spirit fights include music with very self-serious lyrics, its a little embarrassing.

Im gonna keep equating sonic with kingdom hearts, both are series that I would call grotesque and remarkably uncool but that somehow manage to have sizeable fandoms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V1pMQKDPco
Here we go buddy here we go buddy here we go here we go buddy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I want to see the alternative timeline where Kingdom Hearts continued with the original design of Sora wielding a chainsaw instead of a giant key

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
More rpgs should have you play as "basically fantasy antifa" imo

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

hatty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V1pMQKDPco
Here we go buddy here we go buddy here we go here we go buddy

I like how the guitar intro is almost identical to the one from the Eric Andre skit

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Doom Eternal should have a music toggle like Devil May Cry 5 did but it's every single Shadow the Hedgehog song instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Sonic stays relevant cause his character design is really drat good

Jay Rust posted:

Actually it kicks rear end, grandpa