Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

The North Tower posted:

Does anyone know of a children’s video (early 90s VHS era) that had a song at the end that was a ‘teach your kid their address’ song? I remember (•=beat, but this may have been my address’s song that my parents made for me):
###
•••
Street Name
••
Anywhere, USA
••••••

The anywhere, USA part I remember well, since that’s where your parents are supposed to insert their city name.

Wee sing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2zk-mFKIY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

God drat. That’s it! Thanks! I guess it was a fairly effective teaching tool, after all.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 15, 2020

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

The North Tower posted:

God drat. That’s it! Thanks! I guess it was a fairly effective teaching tool, after all.

Hah hah! Yay!
Yep, Had the same vhs tapes too.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
For the past 6 years I've been trying to find this tower defense game from the early to mid 2000's. It used simple colors and had a kind of dark blue theme, used line drawn geometric shapes, and it ran as a executable on my computer. It had over 50 levels, and it wasn't Geometry Defense. Sadly I lost it several computers ago.

I think I got it from these forums way back then.

cunningham
Jul 28, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Speaking of stuff you've heard on college radio...

Fall of1991, listening to WFMU. I was taping it because I had called and put in a request and just wanted to get a copy of hearing my name thrown out over the air, 'cause that's how us old folks amused themselves back before the internet.

Grunge was juuuust starting to be a thing, so NYU's radio station was fairly cutting edge, playing this heretofore unknown band called "Nirvana" and such. They played a grungy song before getting to the Skinny Puppy I'd requested, so that's on the tape. Unfortunately, the cassette ran out of tape just as the DJ is going down the "what you just heard" playlist, saying "and before that, we had Kr-"

He sounds likes he starting to say something that begins with a Kr or Cr sound, like Crust or Crunch or something on those lines. The chorus to the song sounds like "MUDHONEEEEEY", but afaik, it's not actually Mudhoney. I asked this on a music site I belonged to years ago and no one figured it out.

I can hear the melody plain as day (minor key, bass-heavy, does a walking-down-the-key thing) and the only other lyric I can recall is the male vocalist screaming "walk all over meeee". And if the tape I had still exists, it's probably rotted to hell in my storage unit.

Good luck, gum shoes!
Could it by Kyuss - Love Has Passed Me By?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbtzWgfD5pQ
The album Wretch came out in 1991.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
From many pages ago

jonathan posted:

Ive been trying to find some sort of show, at least an hour long, where Tiff Needell tries to decide which is his favourite Ferrari. It has a bunch of them in an outside courtyard and he goes over the history of some of them like the old Dino's etc. And then he tries to decide which one he likes the most.

Are you sure it was Tiff? Because what you describe sounds exactly like how I remember Alain de Cadenet's Victory by Design. I believe this clip is from Victory by Design Ferrari:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZf7BX6df74
There are other marques are on YouTube to give you an idea of the format

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Ez8 posted:

For the past 6 years I've been trying to find this tower defense game from the early to mid 2000's. It used simple colors and had a kind of dark blue theme, used line drawn geometric shapes, and it ran as a executable on my computer. It had over 50 levels, and it wasn't Geometry Defense. Sadly I lost it several computers ago.

I think I got it from these forums way back then.

It just came up in this thread a couple pages ago, but I'll still ask: was it Immortal Defense?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

On US cable TV in the mid 90's there was a (I think) anime where a kid is showing either an alien or robot or robot alien around in a city and explaining stuff, I remember clearly him pointing at and explaining traffic lights and because it was the future the traffic lights were square. That's the only part of the thing I remember but I remember watching the whole thing and really enjoying it, and have been looking for it ever since.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

d0s posted:

On US cable TV in the mid 90's there was a (I think) anime where a kid is showing either an alien or robot or robot alien around in a city and explaining stuff, I remember clearly him pointing at and explaining traffic lights and because it was the future the traffic lights were square. That's the only part of the thing I remember but I remember watching the whole thing and really enjoying it, and have been looking for it ever since.

NieA Under 7? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NieA_7

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Nope, I was really big into anime around when NieA_7 came out (actually owned it on DVD) and by then was already wondering what I had seen on TV years earlier. What I saw was a totally different vibe, probably an 80's sci-fi anime aimed at younger people (but not 100% sure).

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
what blows my mind is that the twitter account Anime VHS Bots tweeted a while ago a series which seemed like a "young person traffic safety" cover but gently caress me if i have any idea how long ago that was.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I want to say that it wasn't focused on traffic safety, it was just one part of a general "explaining how earth people/humans do things" sequence with some kid who finds an alien or builds a robot or something

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

d0s posted:

Long shot...Denver the Last Dinosaur?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi6GyfXi_Ps

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

MorrisBae posted:

Long shot...Denver the Last Dinosaur?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi6GyfXi_Ps

Naw they were in a futuristic megacity type deal, though not dark and cyberpunk but clean and bright, lots of white buildings etc. Though it could have just been modern day tokyo or something

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

d0s posted:

Naw they were in a futuristic megacity type deal, though not dark and cyberpunk but clean and bright, lots of white buildings etc. Though it could have just been modern day tokyo or something

What about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Planet_(miniseries)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMeZjmQbj-0

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Unfortunately not, scrolled through it and nothing seems similar

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
There was a game I had on my Macintosh (but I think it might have gotten ported elsewhere) but it was a first person game, you were driving a tank, the whole game was wire frame and you could upgrade your tank. I think what I had was the demo.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

There was a game I had on my Macintosh (but I think it might have gotten ported elsewhere) but it was a first person game, you were driving a tank, the whole game was wire frame and you could upgrade your tank. I think what I had was the demo.

Almost positive you’re thinking of Spectre and Spectre VR

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/spectre-19k

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
That is it thank you!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

When I was in middle school they had either the shareware or an older version of Spectre on the macs, I remember going to the Service Merchandise store which was on the way between school and my house with a floppy disk in my pocket and copying the full or updated game from the demo computer in the store, because at that time it was preinstalled on new macs. Had some great networked games with that while we were supposed to be learning spreadsheets in claris works or some poo poo. There was also a game called crystal quest that made a really sexual moaning sound when you cleared a level and a whole bunch of others that were passed around on virus infested floppy disks. Owning a mac seemed so fun back then, when you were stuck with a 286 at home

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

pram posted:

ive been looking for this forever:

it was a cartoon, and they were in a shopping mall that was operated by some kind of AI computer. the mall would let people in, but never out, and it was growing larger the more people it trapped.

a specific scene i remember is them going to the mall operations/board room and its just a bunch of robot mannequins sitting around a table who attack the protagonists

def from the 80s, and maybe from the UK
I don't think anyone suggested this as an answer - I bet it's Widget (the World Watcher), presumably the episode titled "Maller Crawlers", which I vaguely remember too. 1991 is close enough.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hey, general question for folks looking for ads, what makes you want to rewatch old advertising?

Reading back through the last few pages to see if I could help anyone before making my own request about an ad, I figured it had been a few years since my last look and found a (mediocre) version in two searches this time (I left a note to myself in February 2016 saying "still nothing", the youtube video is from September 2016).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfWw0VeMgKg

In my case, it was the whistling tune in the background. For some reason that stuck with me, it was like 30 seconds of peaceful happiness. Turns out the version I've been whistling all these years has slowly drifted from the original tune, so the real one in the ad is a bit disappointing. The only reason I had a chance of finding it is because some guy wrote an unusually-detailed piece about it at the time - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/advertising-jumping-naked-off-a-cliff-edge-that-will-do-nicely-89855.html so thanks to him I suppose.

One day I'd like to track down an "old" (Shockwave probably) multiplayer tank game, except I almost certainly already have the answer... in a handwritten teenage diary with levels of angst that would be fatal to an adult. And some other things are declared as "lost" (e.g. an episode of The Baskervilles), so no point wasting time on them when they'll turn up in that Lost Media wiki if they're found.

Edit: I've played that youtube video a few times now and, having gotten over the tune's wrongess, somehow the bit I like the most is the "cinema style" crackle/buzz that's overlaid on the audio of this version :confused: Stupid nostalgia

uvar fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 16, 2020

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

Last Visible Dog posted:

It just came up in this thread a couple pages ago, but I'll still ask: was it Immortal Defense?

Unfortunately, no. It was similar in aesthetic to this game, but it was not this game: https://freegamer.blogspot.com/2012/09/simple-quick-gpled-java-tower-defense.html

The grid is similar and the turret design is very similar, but this game is from 2012 so it's not this one.
I remember there was a feature where you could release the enemy wave before the countdown for the next wave was up so if you were itching to get on with the game you could. It was a feature I hadn't seen in a TD game before, but is now standard.

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.

I ride bikes all day posted:

It took 20 years or so, but I finally hunted mine down not too long ago. I loved Voltron as a kid, so my new step-father decided to give me some other Japanese cartoons. Which is how I, at 6, ended up with nightmares of people being turned into puppets, those puppets becoming castle walls, and this screechy wizard thing.

Unico in the Island of Magic.

Less terrifying than Watership Down, more terrifying than The Secret of NIMH.

Oh holy poo poo. I saw most of that when I was 3 or 4, just once. Every couple years or so I'd have visions of people getting turned into those flat golems and the creepy marching

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Looking for the title of a older kids book (probably something in the 5-6 grade level but I could be off) where the protagonist is in a weird family that has their own weird heaven. A patriarch in the family is very short and uses armbands to keep his shirtsleeves from flopping over his hands (because I guess tailoring is out of the question). The word "pineapple" is somehow connected.

Solved offsite: it was Figgs & Phantoms by Ellen Raskin.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 17, 2020

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Oh man I just thought of a tough one, back in the late 90's or early 2000s we had this long MP3 of a kind of DJ mix/mashup (before that word was invented) called "the high score" which featured a lot of the weirder/underground music of the day. It was really well done and a lot of the songs used were surprising because it was really eclectic but flowed seamlessly. It wasn't like a generic mix of techno songs, there was some techno but also like indie rock and hip hop etc. I kinda remember a friend saying his brother or brother's friend made it so if that was the case it may not have had wide release at all. I had the MP3 at one point but lost it in a drive crash :(

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
Could someone please help? Its a series of cute isonetric flash puzzle games where you activate the charcters and objects in the stage in the correct order to grow a giant tree or something by the compounding consequences of each small interaction.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sex Tragedy posted:

Could someone please help? Its a series of cute isonetric flash puzzle games where you activate the charcters and objects in the stage in the correct order to grow a giant tree or something by the compounding consequences of each small interaction.

"Grow" by eyezmaze

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Arrhythmia posted:

"Grow" by eyezmaze

Which was the one where you can randomly generate flowering plants, then click on the plants to edit the genome sequence and make new flowers?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

d0s posted:

Oh man I just thought of a tough one, back in the late 90's or early 2000s we had this long MP3 of a kind of DJ mix/mashup (before that word was invented) called "the high score" which featured a lot of the weirder/underground music of the day. It was really well done and a lot of the songs used were surprising because it was really eclectic but flowed seamlessly. It wasn't like a generic mix of techno songs, there was some techno but also like indie rock and hip hop etc. I kinda remember a friend saying his brother or brother's friend made it so if that was the case it may not have had wide release at all. I had the MP3 at one point but lost it in a drive crash :(

If you want to hear more mixes like that, it sounds like the Fabriclive series may be right up your alley. Each one is done live by a different artist, everyone from Venetian Snares to Q-Tip, and most of them throw in all kinds of cool curveballs, like mixing "Owner of a Lonely Heart" into "Hustlin" etc

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Sex Tragedy posted:

Botanicula?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Sex Tragedy posted:

Arrhythmia posted:

"Grow" by eyezmaze

I had actually tried looking for this a while back. Thanks for reminding me about it and for knowing the source.

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger

OMG i love you forever

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I've had this dumb racist meme (probably from SA) in my "comedy" images folder since like 2002:

I know the text is a reference to something, like an anime song or video game engrish ala all your base, because I used to get what it was referring to but over time I forgot and every time I see the image it drives me nuts and has been for years. Googling turns up nothing and neither does asking anyone I know who was extremely online back then. WTF does it mean

e: I want to say it's from some initial D or DDR eurobeat nonsense lyric but again, nothing from google

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 19, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
this is an extreme long shot but i think it's related to one of those anime fighting games? NHK something? maybe Tohou?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

An image I saw a while back making fun of how mutant powers sometimes evolve in X-Men comics. It wasn't particularly well drawn, but it had three panels:

-In the first, two mutants are talking and one says he has a power related to language and that it's not very useful.

-In the next panel, they're fighting some baddies and the second character asks where the first one (with language powers) learned how to fight, to which the first replies that his power also extends to "body language", so now he knows how to fight.

-The third panel has the language-powered character exhibiting god-like powers, saying he understands the "language of the universe", or something along those lines.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
So when I was elementary school there was this book that I used to check out, kids picture book about a family of pilots who did work for movies. For some strange reason I thought it might be French but translated? Book was from the 80s. I remember a big part about a guy who was landing a Corsair on a carrier, and the pictures actually showed this dude doing it. There was family drama that the guy didn’t want to actually try and trap the plane on the carrier but ultimately caved and I think he biffs it? Also lots of stuff of Stampe SV4s. It was almost like a reality show in that it was really these people who did this but also kind of a fictional storyline laid over the top? Anyone could help me with this I would love it.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Batterypowered7 posted:

An image I saw a while back making fun of how mutant powers sometimes evolve in X-Men comics. It wasn't particularly well drawn, but it had three panels:

-In the first, two mutants are talking and one says he has a power related to language and that it's not very useful.

-In the next panel, they're fighting some baddies and the second character asks where the first one (with language powers) learned how to fight, to which the first replies that his power also extends to "body language", so now he knows how to fight.

-The third panel has the language-powered character exhibiting god-like powers, saying he understands the "language of the universe", or something along those lines.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Danke schön

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
Cypher should've stayed dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I have been searching for a video for a while.

Older but not elderly white guy with an acoustic guitar, singing a song about chemtrails. 'Greenscreened' in front of imagery, though I can't remember anything distinct from it. It was on Youtube, but a distressing number of things come up for "chemtrail song" and the like.

It's probably lost to the ages, but I still hope, because I need to inflict it on a friend of mine.