Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

ghostwritingduck posted:

That’s why offering a public option in the beginning could be an effective way to get Medicare for All. Less opposition to pass in the first place

Nope. There would be just as much opposition to a good public option as there would be to Medicare for all. Because if the public option is good, then everybody will just switch to it and not bother with private insurance. So either way, that's the end of private insurance, and the insurance company will fight just as hard to stop it. The only public option you could actually pass with "less opposition" would be an intentionally lovely one designed to be unable to compete with private insurance. So what's the loving point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*Republicans steal 2-4 Supreme Court seats and over 100 federal seats* I guess our hands are tied!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ghostwritingduck isn't wrong that the courts are a serious impediment. this is why bernie has to pack the drat courts.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Personally I’m partial to “Klobalists” because the term does double-duty.

kidkissinger posted:

Imagine how lovely this thread would be if we allowed Buttigieg or Klobb supoorters to post without harassing them off of the internet entirely.

Imagine not being able to just declare and agree that Bernie won the first two states, and someone pointing out that it’s a delegate race and not a popular vote race.

Imagine having to hear that Bernie actually lost one contest, tied another, and is currently losing by a small margin.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Imagine not being able to just declare and agree that Bernie won the first two states, and someone pointing out that it’s a delegate race and not a popular vote race.

Imagine having to hear that Bernie actually lost one contest, tied another, and is currently losing by a small margin.

actually bernie won both states hth

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I coulda sworn 45,842 is a bigger number than 43,274 and 76,352 is a bigger number than 72,443.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

kidkissinger posted:

ghostwritingduck isn't wrong that the courts are a serious impediment. this is why bernie has to pack the drat courts.

Yes. I would like to see Bernie pack the courts.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Aren't both campaigns challenging the Iowa results and demanding recounts? But both of them agree that Bernie got the most votes, it's just down to delegate math bullshit.

So Bernie supporters can say that Bernie won because he got the most votes, but nobody can say that Pete won with delegates because the delegate stuff hasn't been settled yet

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

I coulda sworn 45,842 is a bigger number than 43,274 and 76,352 is a bigger number than 72,443.

Unfortunately, much like with the general, the popular vote only matters so much. It’s okay to be hopeful and excited but still keep that in mind.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Gripweed posted:

Nope. There would be just as much opposition to a good public option as there would be to Medicare for all. Because if the public option is good, then everybody will just switch to it and not bother with private insurance. So either way, that's the end of private insurance, and the insurance company will fight just as hard to stop it. The only public option you could actually pass with "less opposition" would be an intentionally lovely one designed to be unable to compete with private insurance. So what's the loving point?

It’s the internal party opposition that I’m most concerned about. Free access to health care for those who need it most is my personal top concern going into this election. I agree that the external opposition will exist either way.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ghostwritingduck posted:

It’s the internal party opposition that I’m most concerned about. Free access to health care for those who need it most is my personal top concern going into this election. I agree that the external opposition will exist either way.

the internal opposition is also basically just coming from people who are paid off by the insurance industry as well though so the argument stands

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

Aren't both campaigns challenging the Iowa results and demanding recounts? But both of them agree that Bernie got the most votes, it's just down to delegate math bullshit.

So Bernie supporters can say that Bernie won because he got the most votes, but nobody can say that Pete won with delegates because the delegate stuff hasn't been settled yet

I think so, but a quick google search only gives me a Wordpress blog so I’m definitely a little wary of it.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/1225523663988051968

hm I guess latina khaleesi is hedging for a post-bernie future, presumably one in which she continues to pull down a six figure salary while working six months out of the year and probably running in 2024

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yes, if football were measured by offensive yards and not arbitrary “points”, perhaps your favorite team actually won after all.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

cargo cult posted:

hm I guess latina khaleesi is hedging for a post-bernie future, presumably one in which she continues to pull down a six figure salary while working six months out of the year and probably running in 2024

Read the article. It’s quoting her talking to the DNC

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

She's warning the DNC not to gently caress over Sanders.

Yes, if football were measured by offensive yards and not arbitrary “points”, perhaps your favorite team actually won after all.

I know you're one of the dumbest posters in D&D but nobody cares about Iowa or NH because of the delegate count.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

cargo cult posted:

yah she's just there for the $$ this makes me sick

quote:

Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Sunday issued a warning to the Democratic Party to “rally behind” the party’s eventual presidential nominee or risk damaging their chances to defeat President Trump.

Ocasio-Cortez, who endorsed Senator Bernie Sanders in the Democratic primary, claimed that reports that her party is conspiring to deny the Vermont independent the nomination are “overblown,” but warned Democrats against using “super delegate or other kind of subversive policies to deny anybody the nomination.”

“It’s incredibly divisive to do so, and very demoralizing, which is a direct threat in November,” Ocasio-Cortez said in an interview with Time magazine. “The moment you start playing games trying to deny whoever is the nominee, we really start to get into dangerous territory in terms of defeating Trump.”

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

DisreputableDog is like that Mallard Fillmore "Liberals" cartoon, but with Bernie instead

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Dietrich posted:

She’s talking about Sanders hth

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DreamingofRoses posted:

Read the article. It’s quoting her talking to the DNC

yea AoC bugs me a lot of times but this and her 'yea no poo poo worst case we may have to slowly push medicare for all through because congress can suck rear end' statement have both been twisted by the hacks to be all 'AOC ABANDONING BERNIE????' when they were both very clearly in support of him.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ManBoyChef posted:

Yeah. There is also an incredibly well funded propaganda machine on the right to that convinces low information voters to vote in favor of the elites even though it actually makes their lives marginally worse. The propaganda machine makes them think that even though they are doing worse and worse financially that the economy is somehow booming for them.

We really need to get some more independent news out there. That would be something Tom Steyer could do instead of running a vanity campaign that has no hope. It would be awesome if there was a cable channel that wasn't so overtly pro-corporate.

McClatchey newspapers just declared bankruptcy.If Steve were sincere his rear end would buy them up before Bloomberg gets ahold of them.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Dietrich posted:

im sure shes more sincere in her beliefs than 98% of people in congress but she's not suicidal and she's not going to torpedo her own career on bernie or bust after rising this high, this quickly

cargo cult fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 15, 2020

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

drat a lot of people did not read that article and got whooshed by the title.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bernie won.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

this isn't football and bernie won

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

cargo cult posted:

one of your more idiotic takes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

cargo cult posted:

gently caress you, this is racist

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

sexpig by night posted:

yea AoC bugs me a lot of times

tell me more about this, OP

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ghostwritingduck posted:

Ignoring the courts isn’t an option without a full revolution. The option of adding additional Supreme Court Judges is more tenable, but might result in something resembling a civil war.

Ok no point passing a public option either then, if it's a threat to insurance companies the courts will strike it down

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yo I checked with Peter Buttigieg and he agrees that Bernie won Iowa

https://mobile.twitter.com/petebuttigieg/status/1105168289540517888

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

why in the gently caress are centrists rallying around an old, hyper-rich, demonstrably-sexist, horrifyingly-racist fuckhead

... AGAIN?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/wideofthepost/status/1228383914378616834?s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

why in the gently caress are centrists rallying around an old, hyper-rich, demonstrably-sexist, horrifyingly-racist fuckhead

... AGAIN?

When they show you who they are, believe them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

... AGAIN?

They only care about aesthetics and also don't understand long term effects.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Potato Salad posted:

... AGAIN?

Because he's paying them to.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Potato Salad posted:

... AGAIN?

Sideshow Bob answered this many years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXU2vZTTeMU&t=34s

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

looks like we found James Carville's alt

amaru_chulla
Sep 3, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hmm yes this makes sense to me, a dumbass who agrees with archaic electoral systems designed to maintain white supremacy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Potato Salad posted:

... AGAIN?

The vast majority of people and organizations who have endorsed Bloomberg have received money from him in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
"Vote Blue No Matter Who" has never been a real belief, it's just been a cudgel to beat the left with. And given that turnabout is fair play, we should definitely steal it and use it to beat the poo poo out of the rightwingers now that Bernie's gonna win.

ghostwritingduck posted:

Ignoring the courts isn’t an option without a full revolution. The option of adding additional Supreme Court Judges is more tenable, but might result in something resembling a civil war.

Why exactly isn't it an option? If the Executive and Congress are united aganist them then how exactly are the courts gonna enforce their will?

E: Hell, even within the dumbass confines of of orthodox US political theory, then shouldn't Congress and the President act as checks and balances against an out-of-control Judiciary?