Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

oxsnard posted:

Literally just in time for trump to declare a national emergency and cancel the election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol this paper is extremely un-rigorous

uh it seems like a bat coronavirus but it's unlikely a bat flew all the way to the seafood market by itself, therefore it's clearly escaped from a lab, sure there are other explanations but we don't feel like talking about those so we'll just say there's no proof yet, just like how there's no proof for our speculation about it escaping from a lab

Meanwhile,

quote:

The identity of the animal source of the coronavirus, named nCoV-2019, has been one of the key questions that researchers have been racing to answer. Coronaviruses are known to circulate in mammals and birds, and scientists have already suggested that nCoV-2019 originally came from bats, a proposal based on the similarity of its genetic sequence to those of other known coronaviruses. But the virus was probably transmitted to humans by another animal. The coronavirus that caused severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, spread from bats to civet cats to humans.

Now, the South China Agricultural University in Guangzhou says that two of its researchers, Shen Yongyi and Xiao Lihua, have identified the pangolin as the potential source of nCoV-2019 on the basis of a genetic comparison of coronaviruses taken from the animals and from humans infected in the outbreak and other findings. The sequences are 99% similar, the researchers reported at press conference on 7 February.

Previously, researchers have noted that coronaviruses are a possible cause of death in pangolins1, and that nCoV-2019 and coronaviruses from pangolins use receptors with similar molecular structures to infect cells.

Even before today’s announcement, pangolins were a good candidate for being an intermediate species for the virus, so it’s very interesting that the researchers have found such a close sequence, says David Robertson, a computational virologist at the University of Glasgow, UK.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00364-2

The last epidemic coronavirus, SARS 1, was transferred from bats to humans by an intermediate species, and other researchers have found compelling data points suggesting this one did the same, so the "bat habitat is far away" point that they base their entire paper on is completely irrelevant, and the rest is just wild speculation. Even this bit:

doesn't necessarily support their point very well because this collection expert is clearly taking precautions like quarantining himself at the slightest hint of contamination.

In short, I'd continue to be very skeptical of the escaped lab virus hypothesis. This two-page paper filled with speculation and no actual evidence, that completely ignores competing theories of how the virus might have transferred to humans, is not exactly a smoking gun.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

i assume i already have corona-chan inside of me but my strong and powerful posting body with four years of strengthening thanks to TRUMP is keeping me alive

:same:

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

can confirm: Wuhan hot dry noodles are delicious

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

vyelkin posted:

A quarantine of this size has never been attempted. Theory and experience based on smaller quarantines says it won't work, but we're in uncharted territory so who knows.

If 2 months from now, Japan has more patients than a Chinese provonce, then you can say city wide quarantine work.

Of course not every country has the centralized logistic to organize such quarantine.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
piss bat is real

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/PangolinSG/status/1228620108723032064?s=19

twoday
May 4, 2005

Woodchip posted:

piss bat is real

Even if it was a piss bat, that doesn't mean it was engineered, it just means they were clumsy at throwing out their bat piss-soaked equipment

twoday fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 15, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe instead of crying about China stealing jobs Trump should just parachute bat bombs and pangolins into China?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

All hail over new pangolin overlords

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Time to order chinese in solidarity, again

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1228676978737172480?s=19

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Thanks God China isn't a democratic society. Imagine having to hold elections with all that poo poo going on. A very prudent decision by Mao.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Thanks God China isn't a democratic society. Imagine having to hold elections with all that poo poo going on. A very prudent decision by Mao.

Can't imagine this hitting the US in which millions of people have no medical insurance at all.

twoday
May 4, 2005

The Story of the Westerdam

https://twitter.com/business/status/1227574115810320385?s=19

https://twitter.com/hamlybeta/status/1228132559076257792?s=19

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1228418892663488517?s=19

https://twitter.com/Pebblecovefarm/status/1227925881840132097?s=19

https://twitter.com/noansereiboth/status/1228127076613382145?s=19

https://twitter.com/JordanJones33/status/1228112543274733568?s=19

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1228700888488980480?s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So the PM of Cambodia has coronavirus now eh

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That’s pretty sad

twoday
May 4, 2005

There was no quarantine on the ship because nobody had any symptoms, and they were all at sea together for an extended period because they couldn't find a port. They ran some tests on some passengers, all of which came back negative. Then the passengers disembarked, probably happy to see land and walk around and get some fresh air and such, and though some scattered around Cambodia, many others got into planes and flew to other places. It's uh... Not ideal.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

twoday posted:

Twitter Story

Beautiful. All the stupid horror movie tropes will happen with this pandemic. "We're not infected, we're not infected, let us in!" Oops.

The trump tweet makes this perfect.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I think the most depressing tweet there is the Karen who says "we plan to spend lots of money in your country."

NUMBER MUST GO UP, ALL HAIL AND PRAISE TO THE NUMBER.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SKULL.GIF posted:

So the PM of Cambodia has coronavirus now eh

owned

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

holy poo poo that last tweet

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cambodia was going to get infected sooner or later. At least now they made a powerful friend.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
also lol if the Cambodian PM is patient zero in Cambodia after shaking everyone's hand from the ship

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing these passengers ended up getting an unexpected Holiday In Cambodia.

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

Fake Edit: I just went to a crowded Asian supermarket in a major capital. Should I avoid contact with my aging parents in the foreseeable future?

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
:thunk:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

We need a machine to mass produce "Hope you get well soon" postcards

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tei posted:

so a printer

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

freckle posted:

so a printer

lmfao

get me gutenberg!!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

neutral milf hotel posted:

also lol if the Cambodian PM is patient zero in Cambodia after shaking everyone's hand from the ship

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tei posted:

A coworker got hit by a bike recently and all my coworkers did was print out a folded paper in black and white with a bad Star Wars pun on it. The inhumanity of man towards man knows no bounds.

Also why is that pic a gif? Is there a screamer at some point?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

A coworker got hit by a bike recently and all my coworkers did was print out a folded paper in black and white with a bad Star Wars pun on it. The inhumanity of man towards man knows no bounds.

Also why is that pic a gif? Is there a screamer at some point?

What was the pun?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

dex_sda posted:

What was the pun?

"Get well soon. You can Endor this"

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

"Get well soon. You can Endor this"

hahhahah your coworkers are loving garbage man

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

that's like a direct insult. literally, buy me a chocolate bar at a seven eleven instead. gently caress me

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dex_sda posted:

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

That's a lovely turn of events. How likely could it be the US citizen in Malaysia caught it between Cambodia and Malaysia though? Kinda feel for the PM... no good deed goes unpunished.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

dex_sda posted:

In fairness they usually bother to get real cards. I think it was just bad timing in this case since they were on their way to hand over his laptop and had no time to buy a card. We still signed the printout.

The pun was so bad it just made me think "Man, he's going to get pissed."

twoday
May 4, 2005

Backweb posted:

That's a lovely turn of events. How likely could it be the US citizen in Malaysia caught it between Cambodia and Malaysia though? Kinda feel for the PM... no good deed goes unpunished.

Well the implication is that that person caught it on the ship. It seems that they only tested 20 sick people on the ship for ncov

https://twitter.com/ChristinaKerby/status/1227985218356875264?s=19

They all tested negative so either the tests were faulty, or the people who had it were asymptomatic and thus weren't tested

They probably kept the sick people in quarantine, ironically protecting them from the virus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

twoday posted:

lmao why the gently caress would you help americans