Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Retarded Goatee posted:

ait heres the hot take

1, they wanted the "scandal"
2, they want the libs who reject flying due to "flygskam" to fly with them to own sd/dfp

thank u for comin 2 my ted talk

Hotter take. The Russian troll farms that some have blamed (I think butthurt Scandinavians were more than enough on their own for this and this description is not necessary for why people were acting like racist babies) for spreading outrage about the video are actually in cahoots with SAS and working towards this end.

More seriously, have there been any people who have stated that from now on they will fly with SAS to stick it to the nazis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Hotter take. The Russian troll farms that some have blamed (I think butthurt Scandinavians were more than enough on their own for this and this description is not necessary for why people were acting like racist babies) for spreading outrage about the video are actually in cahoots with SAS and working towards this end.

More seriously, have there been any people who have stated that from now on they will fly with SAS to stick it to the nazis?

A lot of the English language articles I’ve read mention that it seems to be manufactured outrage, and fragile bigots of all stripes take to that like oil to fire. Weird how “facts, not feelings” suddenly doesn’t apply to literal facts that offended certain types of feelings!

while I’m one of the worst things Sweden has imported as of late, I’m sticking with “whatever is cheapest and not routing me through Ukraine or Russia” for my carrier of choice. Probs not Norwegian as they’re apparently loving around with the ARN-JFK route as of late.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fader Movitz posted:

It's pretty dumb to argue about where ground meat in the most basic shape comes from imo. But then again this ad seems like a honey trap for bad twitter takes.
They're more like oblate spheroids, OP.

teen witch posted:

A lot of the English language articles I’ve read mention that it seems to be manufactured outrage, and fragile bigots of all stripes take to that like oil to fire. Weird how “facts, not feelings” suddenly doesn’t apply to literal facts that offended certain types of feelings!
You're saying people can be hypocritical?! Color me surprised!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

teen witch posted:

while I’m one of the worst things Sweden has imported as of late, I’m sticking with “whatever is cheapest and not routing me through Ukraine or Russia” for my carrier of choice. Probs not Norwegian as they’re apparently loving around with the ARN-JFK route as of late.

Well, you are a goon/goonette so that is true.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Well, you are a goon/goonette so that is true.

Goonska, tack

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

teen witch posted:

Goonska, tack

Isn’t that a dialect?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The worst music genre.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Goon should be properly translated to idiot or dumbom, which are gender neutral :colbert:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Zudgemud posted:

Goon should be properly translated to idiot or dumbom, which are gender neutral :colbert:

Or flåbuse, the gooniest of words.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
är det en En eller Ett goon? heter det Kex eller Kjex, giflar eller jiflar?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Fader Movitz posted:

'Ett gyn' på nynorsk.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Fader Movitz posted:

goon
goonan
goonar
goonarna

att goonanera - to goon out

E: kex som kex, ja som ja och inte *whuuuup*

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

teen witch posted:

This is brilliant. :allears:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Nice piece of fish posted:

Huge fans of renewable energy

Fantastic :kiss:

Fader Movitz posted:

En, kex, giflar, Gif med hårt G

McCloud fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 14, 2020

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

teen witch posted:

goon
goonan
goonar
goonarna

E: kex som kex, ja som ja och inte *whuuuup*

Sjuuup
*Breathing in acknowledgement*

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

SAS absolutely wanted the nazis to boycott them and it worked out pretty much perfectly.

I heard on the radio that Sweden is getting a pretty substantial tax on plastic bags at grocery stores. I don't feel very strongly about it because I have those reusable bags.

But the radio was blaring hot takes all day about it. From "paper bags are in fact as bad as plastic bags because more trees will have to be cut down"

To people calling for abuse of store staff in revenge. Like not getting plastic bags for potatoes and onions and then just dumping them all on the conveyor in a big pile.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Katt posted:

To people calling for abuse of store staff in revenge. Like not getting plastic bags for potatoes and onions and then just dumping them all on the conveyor in a big pile.

Sounds like a reasonable response

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

PERSON WANT CHANGE THING?! THING MIDLY IMPACT ME! THIS NOT STAND!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Anyone else admiring the unhinged political grafitti on the E47 overpasses between say, Hillerød and Ørestad?

I had no idea what a "perker" was, had to ask. Apparently they are 41% of babies in Brøndby. Or something. "Soc Demokrater = Stalin", etc.

I recall an early one praising Paludan.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I would've thought you'd be old enough to remember Perker spillet, as it was called then, which Jan Elhøj and Simon Jul Jørgensen commisioned for uland.net? DR just published a retrospective (which translates relatively using the usual suspects).

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

I had no idea what a "perker" was

How long have you been here without encountering that word?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Katt posted:

SAS absolutely wanted the nazis to boycott them and it worked out pretty much perfectly.

I heard on the radio that Sweden is getting a pretty substantial tax on plastic bags at grocery stores. I don't feel very strongly about it because I have those reusable bags.

But the radio was blaring hot takes all day about it. From "paper bags are in fact as bad as plastic bags because more trees will have to be cut down"

Harassing store staff is idiotic and bad but the plastic bag tax isn't that great. Most plastic bags in Sweden end up as trash bags and are then burnt along with the trash for energy. This isnt the case in most countries where plastic bags end up in landfills or in the ocean. Most of the reusable canvas bags you'd have to use a ridiculous amount of times before they'd be climate friendly. Using less plastic is good but using a poorly thought out taxes that disproportionatly hit poor people is a bad way to go about it but unfortunately a really Miljöpartiet thing to do.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A lot of the debate is missing an extremely basic point. Why not just use the backpacks, shoulder bags and other assorted bags that most people have already? Or buy one of the millions available in second hand shops?

Why do groceries need specific bags for that purpose?

Buying more newly produced bags to try and save the environment is pure neolib nonsense.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 15, 2020

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

A lot of the debate is missing an extremely basic point. Why not just use the backpacks, shoulder bags and other assorted bags that most people have already? Or buy one of the millions available in second hand shops?

Why do groceries need specific bags for that purpose?

Buying more newly produced bags to try and save the environment is pure neolib nonsense.

Meh, just buy a new electric car. That'll save the Earth!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

KozmoNaut posted:

A lot of the debate is missing an extremely basic point. Why not just use the backpacks, shoulder bags and other assorted bags that most people have already?
I can think of plenty of reasons. Those bags are already being used for carrying something else, they're far too small for groceries, or people don't want to risk some poo poo breaking and ruining their bag (and all its other content).

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

SplitSoul posted:

How long have you been here without encountering that word?

August 2017. I just suppose nobody around me uses the term.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Rust Martialis posted:

August 2017. I just suppose nobody around me uses the term.

get a load of mr snowflake liberal echo chamber over here, suppressing everybody's freedom of speech

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Fader Movitz posted:

Harassing store staff is idiotic and bad but the plastic bag tax isn't that great. Most plastic bags in Sweden end up as trash bags and are then burnt along with the trash for energy. This isnt the case in most countries where plastic bags end up in landfills or in the ocean. Most of the reusable canvas bags you'd have to use a ridiculous amount of times before they'd be climate friendly. Using less plastic is good but using a poorly thought out taxes that disproportionatly hit poor people is a bad way to go about it but unfortunately a really Miljöpartiet thing to do.

ya. tote bags are usually made of cotton (which is terrible) and need many, many years of use, tens of thousands of plastic bags replacements, before they start becoming competitive with plastic bags in terms of co2 alone. and the kind of plastic bags you pay for in swedish grocery stores are quite durable in and of themselves and can be reused dozens if not hundreds of times. it's the same misguided bullshit as the "let's ban plastic straws" thing (which i hear is a policy idea originating with a literal pre-teen child). plastic contamination in the ocean to a large degree originates with (chinese) fishing nets.

e: see here for a citation. you need to use a organic cotton tote bag over 20,000 times in order for it to start winning over grocery store plastic bags that are used for groceries once, then used as a trash bag and then burned. that's 55 years of use, assuming you use it once a day. if you are like me and have a few of them you've gotten as conference swag or w/e you better get crackin'.

getting people to reuse grocery store plastic bags would be great but i don't think taxing them is the way to do that. my dad always did that and so i got into the habit of carrying a bag (be it plastic or canvas) in a coat pocket or my backpack from when i was a kid, but few other people i know do that

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 15, 2020

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I use plastic bags because they are the most portable and reusable bags and they will be worth buying even if they tax them 1000%. Paper bags are not reusable at all and cloth bags are not very foldable and won't reduce my need for garbage bags anyway.

The state of environmentalism really makes me depressed. There is a crime being committed by our society far greater than any in history, and environmentalists focus on getting rid of the energy source that contributes least to this crime and tsking about using "non-reusable" bags that I could probably fit 12 of in my jacket.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Mercrom posted:

I use plastic bags because they are the most portable and reusable bags and they will be worth buying even if they tax them 1000%. Paper bags are not reusable at all and cloth bags are not very foldable and won't reduce my need for garbage bags anyway.

i use grocery store paper bags to store newspapers and other stuff i'm going to take to paper recycling in, they're quite good for that. not exactly high volume reuse though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I can think of plenty of reasons. Those bags are already being used for carrying something else, they're far too small for groceries, or people don't want to risk some poo poo breaking and ruining their bag (and all its other content).

Everyone I know has at least one Eastpak backpack or something similar laying around that they don't use anymore, old school bags and that sort of thing.

One of those will hold several liters of milk, a bunch of veggies and other assorted groceries. You're not going to be stuffing it in with your papers or your laptop. Buying groceries doesn't usually come as a surprise.

I'm using an old second hand laptop backpack where I'm trying to see how much additional use I can get out of it, and it generally fits what we need for two people.

E: and the numbers on plastic bag reuse vs cotton bags are way off. It's in the hundreds of uses, not 55 years worth of use.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 16, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

KozmoNaut posted:

E: and the numbers on plastic bag reuse vs cotton bags are way off. It's in the hundreds of uses, not 55 years worth of use.

i showed you my citation, you show me yours

e: ok fine, for greenhouse gases exclusively it's ~150 times for an organic cotton bag, but if you include other environmental impact factors like e.g. land use you get to the 20,000 times number

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 16, 2020

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The only way your choice of bag is going to make a difference is if you use it to store the severed head of a fossil fuel CEO.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Considering how filthy the shopping baskets, floor (stuff falls on it and are just put back on the shelves) and conveyor belts are I really do not want to put stuff directly into my backpack if it can be avoided. Also I reuse bags and they all end up as trashbags anyway.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheFluff posted:

i showed you my citation, you show me yours

e: ok fine, for greenhouse gases exclusively it's ~150 times for an organic cotton bag, but if you include other environmental impact factors like e.g. land use you get to the 20,000 times number

The danish study inflates it's environmental numbers to insane degrees by using too many variables in its total environmental account and using really weird examples of what constitutes a bag. It's a fun thought example that got an unreasonable spread in news and social media because of the 20 000 figure being a click bomb.

Climate-wise (the actually relevant metric) the number is 150 as you said. And if we look at what the study constitues as a bag that number can rapidly drops as far as to 37,5 uses as in the following example:

https://twitter.com/Lollomos/status/1222809047910490112

Also you know, there are usually more than one study on topics. If a single study has sensational answers to a question, it never hurts to double-check whether other studies have asked similar questions and what answers they reached.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

You people haven’t been using cotton bags for the last 20 years? :stare:
Especially given the profit margin sellers have on plastic bags?

The only reuse for plastic bags is for not having leaky trash bin and for that purpose just buy durable bags on a roll.

As for the plastic straws, the EU ban is based on analysis of the most common plastic pollutant at beaches. And have triggered a massive change in certain industries. Not much to do with CO2 in fact.
Also, didn’t Thailand outright ban plastic bags?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm using 5 fabric bags of ages 2-7 for pretty much all my purchases by car. I mean they've never broken, and even if they did stitching them back together is neither rocket science or expensive. They're also easy to dump into the back of a car or a backpack if you're into that sort of thing.

Cardiac posted:

The only reuse for plastic bags is for not having leaky trash bin and for that purpose just buy durable bags on a roll.

Also this 100%. Roll-bags are all that is used in child- and elderly care and you really you don't need more than that for household needs.

Cardiac posted:

Also, didn’t Thailand outright ban plastic bags?

Thailand and a few others this year, I vaguely remember one of the bans sparking a social media trend. I'd actually say the fact that we went for a tax instead of a ban is an outright policy failure.

EDIT: China, ofc. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51171491

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 16, 2020

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
why dont we ban having both and xbox and a playstation at the same time instead. seems like it would do a lot more for the environment than forcing me to buy dedicated garbage bags

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Gedt posted:

Dads cousin operates iirc the biggest dairyfarm in Södermanland, im sure i could get some purestrain

Okay last friday I spooned out the contents of a filbunke into 5 other bowls, could have gotten more if I wanted to. Anyway filled them with regular whole milk and some cream and put them in room temp for 24 hours, then into the fridge. This morning I tried one and hey, it's viili. Not as strongly flavoured as the commercial stuff, but I think with time it will increase. I prefer it like this though.

So completely doable with regular homogenized and pasteurized milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

KozmoNaut posted:

Everyone I know has at least one Eastpak backpack or something similar laying around that they don't use anymore, old school bags and that sort of thing.

One of those will hold several liters of milk, a bunch of veggies and other assorted groceries. You're not going to be stuffing it in with your papers or your laptop. Buying groceries doesn't usually come as a surprise.
What I mean by carrying something else is that you might be carrying poo poo back home from work/school. Like you say, buying groceries generally doesn't come as a surprise, and that includes planning to buy your poo poo on the way home rather than making dedicated shopping trips.