Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Should we ask the mods for a general Philippine crew shitposting thread in LAN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
fwiw, this one and the D&D one could be merged, but idk if there's anyone in either who'd get ruffled about one supplanting the other

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Now we've got local government morons telling people who evacuated at-risk areas near Taal to return home despite Phivolcs’s warnings that the volcano is still unstable.

The sheer stupidity that happens sometimes in this country...

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

self-admitted cowfucker teddy locsin

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nick mullen's manila set looking good

gradenko i've missed ur updates

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

gradenko i've missed ur updates

maybe I can just do shorter ones that don't go too deep into background unless people ask:

The Taal volcano had a "phreatic eruption" last week, Sunday the 12th. That's when magma heats up ground-water and turns it into steam, and the steam causes a pressurized explosion that sends rocks and soil and ash into the air, as opposed to a full-on volcanic eruption when magma escapes the crust.

Crops and livestock have been devastated by the resulting ashfall, and while an exclusion zone of up to about 17 km from the volcano has been set-up, there are on-going contentions between local government officials, national government officials, business owners, and locked-out residents from demanding to be allowed to go back in or resume business operations, even as the Philippine Institute for Volcanology and Seismology (PHILVOLCS) is still keeping alert levels high.

To the credit of the Filipino people (and to the shame of the government, which has slashed its calamity budget year-on-year), there's been a large influx of aid and charity, but it's unclear how long people will have to stay in evacuation centers, and even once they're let back in, there's no telling if there's anything to go back to.

___

The new coronavirus strain that's reportedly been coming out of Wuhan has everyone on edge and anxious, given the large number of both Chinese tourists and workers. I dislike the current discourse around this because it's just another angle to engage in anti-Chinese chauvinism.

___

The administration recently released this infographic in a PR push to try and make Duterte look good.

Pretty much all of this is bullshit, especially since you cannot possibly credit Duterte for 64 airports when most of those were already existing when he took office, and here's a short piece that debunks some of the economic points if you're interested

___

Finally, this was from January 9, but the US Senate did pass a resolution that called on the Secretary of State to impose sanctions on persons involved in the detainment of Senator Leila de Lima

https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1215155747748630528

Given the lack of names named, and the fact that it requires Mike Pompeo of all people to take action, I don't really expect much to come out of this except as a lib-level talking point dunk on the Duterte administration, but it did happen.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/1220313260819238912

Lol what

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

He's reached 'old man yells at everything' status.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm sorry if you feel like an RSS feed but I genuinely like your updates since I don't learn anything otherwise and they're crazy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jose posted:

I'm sorry if you feel like an RSS feed but I genuinely like your updates since I don't learn anything otherwise and they're crazy

yeah, I get ready for some good poo poo every time this thread gets bumped

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, I get ready for some good poo poo every time this thread gets bumped

It's why I made the thread after all lol duterte took on the Catholic church and won

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jose posted:

Same

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

old but lmao

he said that poo poo in a country almost as catholic as mexico

nothing matters

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

(Duterte then threatens to re-circumsize his opponents)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I drove out to Tagaytay today, the ridgeline overlooking the Taal volcano that's a popular vacation/tourist spot.

The first thing I noticed was that traffic was very light - it normally takes three hours to get from Manila to Tagaytay, four on a particularly busy holiday, but today it took me less than two because so few people were going there.

The next thing I noticed was hundreds of sandbags piled up along sidewalks and road-shoulders - it was all the ashfall/mud that was cleaned up and collected. The business sector and gentrified neighborhoods were pretty well cleaned up, but the poorer/more rural sections of the area still had muddy yards and driveways and dusty and dirtied walls. People were still out cleaning and scraping and shoveling, and it's been two weeks since the initial eruption on the 12th.

Most of the businesses in the area were open for business, but like I said, there were far fewer people around. I stopped by Bag of Beans, a popular pastry cafe that's usually filled with patrons, with a waiting list for their dine-in area, but today at lunchtime the place was barely half-full.

All that said, it's really the area to the south of Taal (Tagaytay is to the north) that's gotten the worst of it, and that area is still under tight lockdown, with multiple villages still being completely emptied and their residents living in gyms and schools converted into evacuation centers. Quite a few trucks passed me by with tarps saying they were carrying aid and relief goods.

I wasn't able to take any photos or video since I was driving, but here's a shot of the volcano I took from the side of the road:

___

gradenko_2000 posted:

Finally, this was from January 9, but the US Senate did pass a resolution that called on the Secretary of State to impose sanctions on persons involved in the detainment of Senator Leila de Lima

Given the lack of names named, and the fact that it requires Mike Pompeo of all people to take action, I don't really expect much to come out of this except as a lib-level talking point dunk on the Duterte administration, but it did happen.

Follow-up to this:

On January 22, Senator Bato Dela Rosa* reported that his US visa had been "cancelled", ahead of its supposed regular expiration in 2022.

As far as I can tell, it was never explicitly confirmed whether this "cancellation" was linked to the Senate resolution to sanction persons involved in Senator De Lima's prosecution and/or the human rights violations produced by the War on Drugs, especially since apparently Dela Rosa was also told that he could simply re-apply for the visa, but Duterte then took this opportunity to declare that he would cancel the Visiting Forces Agreement with the United States in retaliation.

This is not the first time that Duterte has railed against the US, and personally it's kind of a joke to me at this point because he always says something, but the actual foreign policy towards the US hasn't changed on-paper in four years. That said, he's apparently ordered the process to be started, so who knows how far this particular threat will go.

Now, the left has traditionally wanted the VFA (and all other US presence) to be removed for reasons of national self-determination and anti-imperialism, so it's very funny that Duterte is threatening to do it just because he's throwing a tantrum over one of his minions getting the lightest possible slap-on-the-wrist.

In the liberal sphere, this is being received as a threat to national security, and as more proof that Duterte is in the pocket of Beijing (which is yet another parallel to Russiagate - everything Trump Duterte does is because he's mind-controlled by Putin Xi).

* background: Dela Rosa was the chief of the Philippine National Police from the time Duterte took office in July 2016, up until April 2018, and was largely the architect of the administration's War on Drugs and its attendant body count. He ran for a Senate seat in the 2019 mid-term elections, and won. He's basically a stooge for Duterte in that position.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, his Ayala and US rants were what prompted my previous post.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. The coronavirus issue is really bringing out a lot of latent sinophobia in people

quote:

Needs To Be Said: People Want To Avoid Contact With Chinese People Because China Is The Primary Hot Zone For nCoV, Not Because They're Racist

quote:

This isn't about race.

This is about trying to minimize the risks of contracting a serious disease.

Fact is: China is the source of this virus and it is still spreading. Even worse, China hasn't been totally honest so the situation could be worse than reported.

quote:

I've had friends who have been outright disrespected by the Chinese Mainlanders, the "Tai Diok Ka" as how my Fil-Chi friends call them. Even yesterday, a colleague of mine got a paper thrown directly into his face by one of these Tai Diok Ka. Meanwhile, you have snowflakes in the shithole of the internet, who couldn't be bothered tolerating a push back without "prioritizing the first sign of racism".

Let me make this clear. This is isn't America. Filipinos are already oppressed in their own land, and defending the Tai Diok Ka (Chinese Mainlanders) from "racism" won't matter to them because they'll still believe that we Pinoys are "dogs" and that we're beneath them. This is the problem when SJWs westernize oriental society, without consideration to sociological context, power relations, and more importantly, actually studying the history of the specific country or people in question.

The Tai Diok Ka are not your friends. They are different from our Uniqlo-wearing beloved Filipino Chinese whose parents or grandparents escaped poverty and Mao Zedong's oppressive system just to reestablish their lives in our country. The Fil-Chis actually bothered learning our language, culture, and practices.

The Tai Diok Ka would not even care to study English because they are more interested exploiting our lands, people, and resources. They have been brainwashed by the Communist Party since birth while treating us like "barbarians" by making GBS threads in our tourist spots, spitting in our faces, and spreading a virus without consideration for biological hazards (stop loving eating wild animals which hastens viral mutations, you dipshits).

Just to clarify in case some random rear end mofo misinterprets my post as a "dogwhistle" for outright racism: a.) No, you're not allowed to say "ching chong", but you can call the Tai Diok Ka "piao si" instead. It's an actual cuss and it's more insulting to their language; b.) You cannot be racist if the oppressed are the ones pushing back against the oppressor. If you believe the Tai Diok Ka hold minority status, maaaaan read an actual book instead of relying on Twitter because you're too lazy or too distracted from sErvInG tEA while you cry yourself to sleep cause you weren't born a celebrity.

gently caress outta here with this rAcIsM poo poo. Have the big dick energy to protect our dignity. Piao si.

quote:

China has invaded Philippine territory, infiltrated Philippine government and made it a Chinese puppet and flooded the Philippines with legal and illegal migrants, pushing us Filipinos to the edges in our own country.

Add to that the fact that these Chinese migrants (legal and non legal) are highly likely to be carrying a highly contagious and lethal virus and, you know what? This Filipino is tired of being pushed around.

As a Filipino, I'm tired of the Chinese lording it over us here.

I'm tired of watching the news and listening to president Duterte, an obvious Chinese puppet, keep prioritizing his China connection instead of us Filipinos.

I'm tired of being told I can't demand protection from my government because my Filipino politicians who are Chinese salaried are worried about losing their monthly allowances.

And I'm tired of comments like yours that try to derail the discussion over some weak hand-wringing about possibly offending Chinese people who are more privileged than us, more taken care of by their government AND OURS than us and are very likely more capable of weathering this epidemic than us Filipinos because they have their AND OUR resources to help them.

___

2. I imagine the facemask shortages and facemask price gouging isn't really a problem limited to the Philippines, but it really drives home the problem of capitalism as a means of equitably distributing resources.

___

3. There's a lot of talk about people getting pissed at Duterte over his perceived lack of action over nCoV, especially after it was confirmed that there was one known case of it here yesterday, but who knows if it's going to translate into actual action or even polling consequences.

The current right-wing spin is to quote some WHO study claiming that it's not actually effective to implement a travel ban in the first place, along with claims that continuing to allow travel to the Philippines is a "humanitarian" gesture (which doesn't make sense because people aren't fleeing China, but whatever).

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

If nothing else, at least those who got masks for the taal ashfall can use them for peace of mind while this whole thing is going on.

Not that the mask actually helps that much from what I'm reading.

anakha has issued a correction as of 14:22 on Jan 31, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

anakha posted:

If nothing else, at least those who got masks for the taal ashfall can use them for peace of mind while this whole thing is going on.

Not that the mask actually helps from what I'm reading.

Actually yeah that ended up timing itself about right - my wife picked up a box of masks the week of the eruption and we've been drawing from it ever since. I tried three different drug stores yesterday and all of them had been sold out on masks since Wednesday apparently.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

quote:

The Tai Diok Ka are not your friends. They are different from our Uniqlo-wearing beloved Filipino Chinese whose parents or grandparents escaped poverty and Mao Zedong's oppressive system just to reestablish their lives in our country. The Fil-Chis actually bothered learning our language, culture, and practices.

Ah yes... one might even say that the Fil-Chis are "some of the good ones"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/WHOPhilippines/status/1223797298477424641

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The government also announced as of this morning (Sunday, Feb 2) that they're implementing a travel ban on all people coming from China, as opposed to just from Hubei province as was declared on Thursday (Jan 30).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can’t buy an N95 mask anywhere in Toronto (I’ve heard, but not confirmed, that hospitals are finding secondary and tertiary suppliers for them at this point to maintain continuity of supply), partly I think because of the anxiety hangover from SARS, but I can only imagine it’s worse in a country and region more closely entangled with China.

How are public health services in Philippines? Are they mostly independent and evidence-based, or are they like whichever African one was touting homeopathy as an effective preventative measure against nCoV-2019?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

How are public health services in Philippines? Are they mostly independent and evidence-based, or are they like whichever African one was touting homeopathy as an effective preventative measure against nCoV-2019?

Public health services in the Philippines use modern medicine.

In urban areas, the big concerns are that public/government-run hospitals are overburdened/overcrowded because everyone who can't afford private hospitals gravitate to them, while private hospitals are, of course, quite expensive.

In rural areas, the big concern is the actual presence of health services - hospitals might be tens to hundreds of kilometers away from people, and then they might still be underfunded/undersized when you finally get there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

“Let’s start with the narratives by saying that everything is well in the country. There is nothing really to be extra scared of that coronavirus thing although it has affected a lot of countries...You know one or two in any country is not really that fearsome,” the President said in a press briefing at Malacañang.

“The response of the people was almost hysterical when there was no need for it actually. And if there is a virus, why do you go hysterical? Just go to the hospital and be treated. Or have yourself quarantined,” he said.

Duterte said the nCoV might worsen “in the meantime,” but would die a “natural death” just like the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), an illness recognized as a global threat in 2003.

“You know, the progress of medical science now is far too different (from) the yesteryears,” he said.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/02/04/1990292/duterte-ncov-die-natural-death

https://manilastandard.net/news/top-stories/316471/duterte-all-is-well-2-cases-not-really-fearsome-.html

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1224562705358413829

gently caress it, just launch the missiles, this is too stupid for words

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm getting Baghdad Bob flashbacks from that article.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

You know it's really bad when even loving Locsin thinks it's the dumbest thing he's ever seen

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

MANILA, Philippines — This is not the time to “do a Pelosi” and rip up the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA).

Senate President Pro Tempore Ralph Recto said this on Thursday in reference to U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi who ripped up her copy of U.S. President Donald Trump’s State of the Union address.

“This is not the time to do a Pelosi and rip up the VFA,” Recto said in a statement as the Senate foreign relations committee is reviewing the said military accord after President Rodrigo Duterte threatened to scrap it over the visa cancelation of Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa.

Recto said the termination of the VFA should “could come later” in a manner that is “planned and programmed” and not “rushed”

SHE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING! IT WAS A PIECE OF PAPER THAT MEANT NOTHING!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Duterte officially orders termination of VFA

quote:

08:34 PM February 07, 2020

Manila, Philippines—President Rodrigo Duterte has instructed Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea to ask the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) to send the United States the official notice to terminate the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA), Malacañang said Friday.

“”I instruct[ed] the Executive Secretary to tell him [Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr.] to send the notice of termination to the US government,” presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo told the INQUIRER in a phone interview.

“[I said], can I quote you on that. Can I quote you on that. [He replied], yes,” he added.

The Palace official added Duterte and US President Donald Trump are “expected to talk” anytime soon.

This is after Locsin, during a Senate hearing on VFA termination, said that Duterte supposedly ordered him to hold off transmittal of the termination notice.

Duterte has ordered the termination of the military pact after the US canceled the visa of his longtime confidant Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa, who also led his bloody war on drugs during his stint as national police chief.

The VFA, signed in 1998, accorded legal status to US troops who were rotated in the country for military exercises and humanitarian assistance operations.

Dela Rosa, who was Duterte’s chief of police from 2016 to 2018, said the US Embassy did not explain why his visa was voided but he acknowledged it has something to do with the alleged extrajudicial killings under his watch.

This was not the first time Duterte threatened to scrap the VFA. However, the firebrand leader has claimed that he is “not joking” with the termination of the military pact this time.

holy poo poo he actually did it

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Heartbroken: Worst Person You Know Just Made a Great Point

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Senile Old Man Throws Temper Tantrum

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I drove out to Tagaytay again today, the day after PHILVOLCS lowered the alert level from 3 to 2. Everything looks pretty well back to normal by now, though traffic was still light enough that I have to assume that the tourists haven't really come back to their pre-eruption levels yet.

___

In other news, Trump was asked about how he felt about the VFA getting trashed and he said he was fine with it and that the US would save lots of money because of it. Owned.

___

In other other news:

ABS-CBN, one of the two largest television channels and media organizations in the country, has had a problem for a while where their license to broadcast is about to expire after 25 years, and because of a Marcos-era law that the country still honors, renewing that license requires an act of Congress, and Congress has so far slept on it.

Duterte has spent the last three years on-and-off attacking and threatening ABS-CBN, usually referring to how they refused to air a campaign ad of his during the 2016 elections as the basis for the grudge, but I'm fairly sure that that's just an excuse.

Anyway, it's 2020, and the license is supposed to expire later this year. It's not exactly clear what would happen if it just flat-out expires, but it's guaranteed to be nothing good because at the minimum the company would lose their primary revenue stream.

The escalation that happened this week was the Solicitor General filing a "quo warranto" case against ABS-CBN. If you'll recall, a quo warranto case was the same legal tactic that was used against Aquino-appointed former Supreme Court Justice Chief Lourdes Sereno to get her to be removed from office without having to go through an impeachment process.

In this quo warranto case, it alleges violations of regulations regarding pay-per-view events, unpaid tax obligations, and foreign investment/stock holdings as a violation of the Constitutional ban of foreign ownership of certain industries (this last point was also a tactic used against Rappler). The case aims to strip ABS-CBN of their license even before its assigned expiration date - it seems that even through the Speaker of the House was Duterte's VP running mate, they still don't trust that Congress will run out the clock.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The Virgin Iraq vs the Chad Philippines

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Pagkadaan ng ilang taon nagiging mas-radical ako pero hindi ko alam saan ako magsisimula na tunay na sasali sa kilusan sa metro manila.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/12370...obox=1583367626

quote:

The Quezon City representative warned that some provisions in the bill could be “interpreted very loosely,” such as the definition of “threat to commit any terrorist act.”

“Any member, a student who wants to join a political organization, who wants to discuss Marxism, Leninism, Friedrich Nietzsche, and his concept of Übermensch, or the superman, is suspect,” he said.

lol

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

This is personal rather than national news but christ, Duterte's supporters are something else.

So my friend posted about his wife's brain surgery. Some random Duterte supporter WHOM HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW found the post because of a comment he made about Duterte elsewhere, and replied that it was karma over his anti-Duterte politics. How psychotic must you be to take someone's health problems and decide it's all about you and your idiot murderer king?

(For the no-Tagalog crew: "Get well to your wife, bro. i pity her because she's catching all the karma from your runaway mouth. He's the president of the Philippines and you had the nerve to say 'he might be dead'"

Yeah this guy stalks randos on FB so I'm not going to bother censoring his name; gently caress you and your loving president you rear end in a top hat

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'd love to call his retarded rear end out on FB but it'd just be removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Duterte's about to say something about Covid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcZOIAP7Tcc