Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Don't neglect clothing if you're going plague district diving it really, really helps to be kitted out and replacements/repairs aren't that expensive compared to the loot you get. It kind of sucks to get hit with a cloud and have it nuke the quality of your kit but there's always save scumming for that. Going in naked depletes the poo poo out of your medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
just keep clothing topped off and you’re good. repairing from zero is way more expensive

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
My boots just fell apart, My health is near zero, I've died 8 times and the game asked me if I'm dying on purpose and I'm infected. I have two questions: I'm on day 8 mid afternoon, and before I take a morphine to recover health and lower exhaustion I want to know if 2 or 3 hours is more efficient. Also, I'm wondering if I should take a shmowder to keep myself from dying. Ever since I got infected I haven't been able to treat anyone else's infection, and I've been able to just barely keep most of the kids uninfected.

This game has done a much better job at making me feel like everything is falling apart than pathologic 1, which is impressive.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

hostess with the Moltres posted:

My boots just fell apart, My health is near zero, I've died 8 times and the game asked me if I'm dying on purpose and I'm infected. I have two questions: I'm on day 8 mid afternoon, and before I take a morphine to recover health and lower exhaustion I want to know if 2 or 3 hours is more efficient. Also, I'm wondering if I should take a shmowder to keep myself from dying. Ever since I got infected I haven't been able to treat anyone else's infection, and I've been able to just barely keep most of the kids uninfected.

This game has done a much better job at making me feel like everything is falling apart than pathologic 1, which is impressive.

you're not going to be able to survive for much longer while infected, so I'd take that shmowder. the disease kills quickly.

Morphine's effects last for something like 8 hours - any time you sleep during that time period, you'll be healing and recovering energy more quickly at a set rate. I believe that taking more than one pill also stacks the benefits.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
sometimes i feel like the player being able to get infected at all exists only to reinforce "take care of yourself first and others second". i think its literally never preferable to be infected over using a cure

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Verviticus posted:

sometimes i feel like the player being able to get infected at all exists only to reinforce "take care of yourself first and others second". i think its literally never preferable to be infected over using a cure

in P1 at least it's almost impossible to avoid catching + keeping the plague your first time through and eventually you just have to treat it as an extra bar to manage. it's much more deadly in P2, so there's more incentive to avoid it or cure it asap

the interesting thing is that the remake plague was going to be much more complex originally and would (for example) spread to different districts based on you as a vector, I.e. whether you talked to lots of people, spent lots of time there infected, etc etc. but that system apparently proved to be too unwieldy and impenetrable. your level of infection was also more ambiguous even as close as in the alpha build, where iirc the infection bar only reflected your current status when you reached specific percentages. that was also cut before release

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

youcallthatatwist posted:

in P1 at least it's almost impossible to avoid catching + keeping the plague your first time through and eventually you just have to treat it as an extra bar to manage. it's much more deadly in P2, so there's more incentive to avoid it or cure it asap

the interesting thing is that the remake plague was going to be much more complex originally and would (for example) spread to different districts based on you as a vector, I.e. whether you talked to lots of people, spent lots of time there infected, etc etc. but that system apparently proved to be too unwieldy and impenetrable. your level of infection was also more ambiguous even as close as in the alpha build, where iirc the infection bar only reflected your current status when you reached specific percentages. that was also cut before release

I think that's probably for the best. Though it's interesting that it could spread through you, that leads to the same outcome of healing yourself at all costs - which the game insists anyway.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Verviticus posted:

I tried to tough it out for a day and a half before using a shmowder and learning my lesson about being prepared for infected districts.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OK, this is great, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm in the first night and slightly confused. Is there a visual tell when a dude is a robber? I've seen several fights, and would like to help the townfolk and steal stuff. Also, several NPCs have suggested I could pick herbs to earn money. Is this something I can only do later? Because I ran around the steppe for ingame hours and found nothing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

genericnick posted:

OK, this is great, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm in the first night and slightly confused. Is there a visual tell when a dude is a robber? I've seen several fights, and would like to help the townfolk and steal stuff. Also, several NPCs have suggested I could pick herbs to earn money. Is this something I can only do later? Because I ran around the steppe for ingame hours and found nothing.

They use similar models - the guys in white makeup are always going to fight you, for instance. They also generally mutter at you first.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

genericnick posted:

which game are you playing? first or second? In the first game all the robbers have their own model, with the random street fights being a unique first-day event. In both games the herbs only appear from the second day onward.
as a side note it's always worth it to patronize the arts and drop by the theater after midnight each night! and in the sequel your map gets a helpful tip

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 14, 2020

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

They use similar models - the guys in white makeup are always going to fight you, for instance. They also generally mutter at you first.

youcallthatatwist posted:

which game are you playing? first or second? In the first game all the robbers have their own model, with the random street fights being a unique first-day event. In both games the herbs only appear from the second day onward.
as a side note it's always worth it to patronize the arts and drop by the theater after midnight each night! and in the sequel your map gets a helpful tip

Thank you. I suppose I can use the cupboard next to the couch as a store? At least for a time?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

genericnick posted:

Thank you. I suppose I can use the cupboard next to the couch as a store? At least for a time?

Temporarily though it resets/gets looted - you get permanent storage a little later

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Temporarily though it resets/gets looted - you get permanent storage a little later

the storage places in NPC houses are now all permanent iirc, they changed that in a patch

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

considering doing another p2 playthrough with all the difficulty meters tuned to max

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OK, still a few questions: Is there any reason not to stab the bandits at night? Since one of the encounters got me the death tutorial I feel a lot less blase about fumbling around with my fists. Also there is that one guy who tries to pressure sell me a pistol. Should I go for it?
Finally, is there a reason to keep a second scalpel around or can you safely sell those?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

genericnick posted:

OK, still a few questions: Is there any reason not to stab the bandits at night? Since one of the encounters got me the death tutorial I feel a lot less blase about fumbling around with my fists. Also there is that one guy who tries to pressure sell me a pistol. Should I go for it?
Finally, is there a reason to keep a second scalpel around or can you safely sell those?

For the first and last questions at least, iirc all the items degrade and fixing them costs more the more broken they are, so avoiding being overly stabby saves some resources, and having a spare scalpel could be handy?

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
How much health does a shmowder take off in p2? Because in p1 it took off 75 to 85 percent of your health i think.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

hostess with the Moltres posted:

How much health does a shmowder take off in p2? Because in p1 it took off 75 to 85 percent of your health i think.

It always puts you at death’s door but never kills you iirc.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think it deals something like 90% of your current health.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

On day 11. I was doing really well, but then frantically tried to save the kids. The time pressure was so bad I am still kinda nervous and shaky about it - all the kids are alive and most are healed, though. :)

Unfortunately I got hosed on RNG and people I did prophylaxis for almost all got infected. Oh well. I did all I could.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Heh, great hand in real estate. Did I do anything to trigger the plague? The judge gave me a letter to deliver to a boarded up building if I want to keep my house. Which did lose quite a bit of value over night apparently.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

genericnick posted:

Heh, great hand in real estate. Did I do anything to trigger the plague? The judge gave me a letter to deliver to a boarded up building if I want to keep my house. Which did lose quite a bit of value over night apparently.

Do you mean in gameplay or in story?

In gameplay: No, the plague always hits on the same day no matter what you did.

In story (later game spoiler): No, the plague was already there before you even arrived in town. Nothing you do could have prevented it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Do you mean in gameplay or in story?

In gameplay: No, the plague always hits on the same day no matter what you did.

In story (later game spoiler): No, the plague was already there before you even arrived in town. Nothing you do could have prevented it.

Was thinking in gameplay terms. Because the timing was slightly weird. Though there is a certain humor in getting a stay of execution on your house under the condition you deliver a letter past the plague barrier into a boarded up house to a dead minor official within 24 hours.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its really just a tutorial/morbid humour so you have a better introduction to plague houses

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

It's also extremely funny to me that we could save so many people if we could just find a bicycle for the doc.
Edit: Also for everyone starting out: Try to get basic sewing supplies early and go full hobodoc. I didn't check the garbage binds for most of the first day and regret it deeply.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 16, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Artemiy speeding through the steppes triumphant, cure in hand, on a child's tricycle

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

genericnick posted:

I didn't check the garbage binds for most of the first day and regret it deeply.

This is one of the cultural things that makes this game problematic for the Western audience, I don't think anyone East of Warsaw ever needed any hints to check bins.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ilitarist posted:

This is one of the cultural things that makes this game problematic for the Western audience, I don't think anyone East of Warsaw ever needed any hints to check bins.

I don't think any RPG player needs hints to dig in the thrash. But for some reason you have a key to highlight NPCs that will talk to you, quests and quest connected containers, but not normal containers and it took me a bit to notice.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Finished it.

Made panacea. Chose to give the town a future, and let the Kin perish. Only a few people have died - Big Vlad, who I think is better off dead, and who I didn't heal purposefully, but curiously he died saving his son which surprised me; Notkin who I should have schmowdered; the mathematician lady and one of the governing families. Oh and the Inquisitor and Rubin. Saved the rest!

Especially saved almost all of the kids, which was a huge relief since I got really attached to all of them. Especially Murky and Sticky.

What a great motherfucking game.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well, a knife bandit on day 2. How do you deal with that? Just run away Buy the gun Entirely unrelated: How often can you die until it really hurts?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

genericnick posted:

Entirely unrelated: How often can you die until it really hurts?

It never really matters. The death penalties are very minute, they just have a strong psychological effect. The director really hypes them up and taunts you a bunch.

Real answer: no hugs

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

genericnick posted:

Well, a knife bandit on day 2. How do you deal with that? Just run away Buy the gun Entirely unrelated: How often can you die until it really hurts?

Except for your health, the penalties are ignorable, since you'll likely never have your other meters topped up.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

dex_sda posted:

Finished it.

Made panacea. Chose to give the town a future, and let the Kin perish. Only a few people have died - Big Vlad, who I think is better off dead, and who I didn't heal purposefully, but curiously he died saving his son which surprised me; Notkin who I should have schmowdered; the mathematician lady and one of the governing families. Oh and the Inquisitor and Rubin. Saved the rest!

Especially saved almost all of the kids, which was a huge relief since I got really attached to all of them. Especially Murky and Sticky.

What a great motherfucking game.

I'd advise reloading a save just to see the other ending. They're both worth seeing.

And yes the game is great and it's so goddamn nice to see Murky and Sticky happy at the end.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

genericnick posted:

Well, a knife bandit on day 2. How do you deal with that?
Just like you do with everything else in life, run. Unless you're severely dehydrated, no one can catch up with you if you just book it.
They can rotate your FOV annoyingly if you run by them, but you rotate it right back and just keep hauling rear end.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you can beat up anything in the game with some clever punching

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'd advise reloading a save just to see the other ending. They're both worth seeing.

And yes the game is great and it's so goddamn nice to see Murky and Sticky happy at the end.

The moment sand pest goes "you're actually winning the fight against me? gently caress you then" and then seeing infected on all the kids was one of the most horrific moments I've ever had playing a video game. Just pure terror and seconds later brain going into overdrive how to most effectively deliver as much panacea/drugs/painkillers to every kid as possible, prioritizing Murky and Sticky first. And then Sticky trying to be the brave kid in dialog...

Also Lara finding the purpose she's been desperately searching for by offering to help you out with raising them is cool too, keeping her alive was difficult in the game.

Had I played it last year it would have been a strong contender against Disco Elysium for goty for me, amazing game.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I bought the art-book because I wanted to support the devs and maybe print a poster and holy poo poo. This thing is gorgeous.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 17, 2020

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Sokani posted:

It never really matters. The death penalties are very minute, they just have a strong psychological effect. The director really hypes them up and taunts you a bunch.

Real answer: no hugs

This makes me think

Do statuses increase faster as days go on since time flows faster and everything? I was under the impression that the death penalties made them faster, but I could be wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

dex_sda posted:

I bought the art-book because I wanted to support the devs and maybe print a poster and holy poo poo. This thing is gorgeous.

Wow. Okay, where does someone buy this? That’s amazing.