Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

This popped up in my Youtube feed for some reason. Mostly I think "I could live there" (even if there is a lot of exposed timber and rock) but then there's something like the copper piping faucet... (at 8m30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-qQneOnJl0

I've now watched the Robert Downey Jr one (a mostly charming fake windmill) and can't stop chuckling at the fireplace 'art'. (1m23)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2V0qhiof_M

"We wanted it to look like it had been here forever, so we bought three Amish barns and had them shipped out and built it out of the wood."

I think the correct conclusion here is that rich people are not really from this planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

May I request inspiration for a ceiling light that doesn't hang terribly low, fits into a mid-century style living room and isn't a boob light?

Knock yourself out. Admittedly there's some variations on the boob light theme here, but overall a pretty decent selection. Also, consider whether you want a flush mount light or a semi-flush mount. This is at least a place to start, anyway. Might give you some idea of what you like/don't like in a ceiling light.

I'm kind of partial to this one. Also comes in brass if that's your thing, but I'll take nickel any day of the week.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I used to have a house with a platform toilet situated so that you could get a really good look at your butt as you pulled your pants up. I got rid of several pairs of jeans because of how unflattering they were.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

KillerEggplant posted:

"We wanted it to look like it had been here forever, so we bought three Amish barns and had them shipped out and built it out of the wood."

I think the correct conclusion here is that rich people are not really from this planet.

There is a mansion we visited in high school called the [url=https://salisburyhouse.org/about_salisbury_house.php]Salisbury House[/urk]. It was built for north of $3m in the 1920's, modeled after King's House in Salisbury England. Much of the interior is 16th century woodwork brought in from England, and some of the stonework and roofing was imported from Lord Nelson's estate at Trafalgar Park.

This is located in Des Moines, Iowa.

Rich people do truly absurd things.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Liquid Communism posted:

There is a mansion we visited in high school called the [url=https://salisburyhouse.org/about_salisbury_house.php]Salisbury House[/urk]. It was built for north of $3m in the 1920's, modeled after King's House in Salisbury England. Much of the interior is 16th century woodwork brought in from England, and some of the stonework and roofing was imported from Lord Nelson's estate at Trafalgar Park.

This is located in Des Moines, Iowa.

Rich people do truly absurd things.

What was the toilet like?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I'd be worried about walking too close to that thing

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
A scottish croft renovation. This is a crime:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Budgie posted:

I don't know - it feels more like a joke to me.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Budgie posted:

Serious question, but what was left of the house before they renovated? Because I could see building a new house in the ruins of an old one, and that's kind of a neat idea.

If they destroyed the house to do this, hard no.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Sounds like it was ruins already. https://arqa.com/en/architecture/ruins-studio.html

I thnk I'd need some art or color inside though, otherwise it seems like a murder house or something.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

falz posted:

Sounds like it was ruins already. https://arqa.com/en/architecture/ruins-studio.html

I thnk I'd need some art or color inside though, otherwise it seems like a murder house or something.

The kitchen just screams A Clockwork Orange to me.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Budgie posted:

Which episode of Grand Designs was this from?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Weembles posted:

Which episode of Grand Designs was this from?

This is more like the only thing they had permission to build instead of just tearing it down and building a Grand Designs monstrosity in its place.

It looks like a shed.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Budgie posted:

This is more like the only thing they had permission to build instead of just tearing it down and building a Grand Designs monstrosity in its place.

It looks like a shed.
I don't think he was joking - There's an episode with more or less this exact scenario. They aren't allowed to modify the appearance of some old ruins, so they build inside and... I think underneath them?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is the all black thing an aesthetic choice to highlight the ruins, or is it to try and absorb as much heat from sunlight to warm the home, or a little of both? I feel like I've seen structures maybe in Iceland or other parts of skandinavia with all black facades like that.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Budgie posted:

A Good House

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It looks like a rich person’s house, so not a crime.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Budgie posted:

I actually really like the modern exterior. It makes for a nice contrast and showcases the old stone really well. Inside is boring and ugly, though. How much money do people spend just to advertise that they have no taste at all.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MetaJew posted:

Is the all black thing an aesthetic choice to highlight the ruins, or is it to try and absorb as much heat from sunlight to warm the home, or a little of both? I feel like I've seen structures maybe in Iceland or other parts of skandinavia with all black facades like that.

It references agricultural buildings in the UK, which often have exterior walls made of wooden beams that have been charred on the surface.

Also, you’re all blind (or mad), that house looks amazing.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I like it? Inside and out

But it definitely feels like a house that a Musk analogue character in a high production black mirror episode would live in

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All-white interiors have always been tasteless and poo poo but in 2020 they are also hopelessly passé.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
It looks so friggin cold and lifeless inside. I can't imagine anyone who sheds skin cells, sweats and slops coffee when they walk ever touching the icy white surfaces. Its a house for robots and ghosts.

Also Scotland cold wet and muddy y'all. Definitely a good place for an all white house

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I think a lot of people aspire to minimalism ('declutter your life') but utterly fail to be able to live up to it. A new build or renovation is a rare chance to implement it and architects are only too happy to oblige. I bet it doesn't look like that after a decade of real life....

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I love the idea of reanimating a ruin by inhabiting it in a new structure while allowing it to show through, making two time periods separated by centuries co-exist in the present in a neat way. The new structure is super dull in its trendy minimalism which makes it feel temporary, though, as if it was only there for the duration of the exhibit on the history of the original.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I like the concept of highlighting the ruins by not trying to hide them away, nor by building on modern additions that try to make the entire building look like it's hundreds of years old.

To that end a stark obviously modern structure is perfect, it's just a shame that the house looks a little too hard like it's trying to be trendy, meaning it will date quickly and thus become as much a point of focus as the original structure itself.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think that general design would be OK, if it used something other than iPod white for the surfaces. Like some light wood, maybe have a couple different shades of color.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gave my hallway a bit of a mastectomy. If anyone's wondering, Ikea Nymane, $40 or so.

Before

After

Installed fairly standard. My ceiling box didn't fit the mount holes by default but it had an adapter bracket in there already that I had to wrestle with. Old fixture was three 60w bulbs. New fixture is 28w total and brighter. :toot:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I installed that light in a kitchen and like it. However, it and several others have integrated non replaceable lcd lights, it's going to be a bummer to have to replace the fixture when some lights go out.

I'm sure some exist, but now that we're all in on led lighting we need to update the standards to be more modern, not have everything incandescent shaped.

I replaced most lighting in my house when I moved in last year, donated all old fixtures to Habitat ReStore. I enjoy going in there and while there, checking if anyone bought the ugly old brass stuff. Spoiler: most are still there.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

mutata posted:

Gave my hallway a bit of a mastectomy. If anyone's wondering, Ikea Nymane, $40 or so.

Before

After

Installed fairly standard. My ceiling box didn't fit the mount holes by default but it had an adapter bracket in there already that I had to wrestle with. Old fixture was three 60w bulbs. New fixture is 28w total and brighter. :toot:

Cool I have a light that's on a beam in a home that I have under contract and it's ugly as sin so I may order up one of those .

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Please let me know if interior decorating advice goes in another thread!

My apartment has this big stupid walled-up fireplace that I am not allowed to un-wall-up (or indeed, do anything to any of the walls other than hang poo poo), is there anything I can do with it?

I was thinking maybe I could put a giant mirror on there or something, but I've really only seen mirrors up high on the wall? I'm struggling to find suggestions online for this particular situation.

Comedy option is get a poster printed of a roaring fire and paste it up in the gap

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Killingyouguy! posted:

My apartment has this big stupid walled-up fireplace that I am not allowed to un-wall-up (or indeed, do anything to any of the walls other than hang poo poo), is there anything I can do with it?

I was thinking maybe I could put a giant mirror on there or something, but I've really only seen mirrors up high on the wall? I'm struggling to find suggestions online for this particular situation.

Comedy option is get a poster printed of a roaring fire and paste it up in the gap

That "comedy option" is really about it. I mean you could design a piece of furniture like a curio cabinet, bookshelf, or entertainment center to fit over it and hide it, but that's probably not worthwhile unless you plan to live there for a long time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

e: a nice warm-coloured mosaic could work

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Is there a hearth bit in front of the walled up fireplace? Put a massive dry floral arrangement there.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Or a crazy decorative fireguard

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Decorative-Jewel-Screen-Spark-Guard/dp/B00GOY8BHU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Sloth Life posted:

Is there a hearth bit in front of the walled up fireplace? Put a massive dry floral arrangement there.

Argh that sounds so nice, but unfortunately there isn't a hearth, it's just normal floor in front of it

Jerry Cotton posted:

e: a nice warm-coloured mosaic could work

This sounds nice actually, I'll see what I could do, thanks :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah we have a closed chimney so on one floor we have a floral arrangement in the space and use the mantle as a shelf, and then in the bedroom above we use it as a headboard. Not sure what else I would do with if it was more like a side accent.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Senor Tron posted:

I like the concept of highlighting the ruins by not trying to hide them away, nor by building on modern additions that try to make the entire building look like it's hundreds of years old.

To that end a stark obviously modern structure is perfect, it's just a shame that the house looks a little too hard like it's trying to be trendy, meaning it will date quickly and thus become as much a point of focus as the original structure itself.

If they just bulldozed the ruin and built a Tudor over it, this thread would be rubbing their collective nipples over “preserving the architectural history” or some poo poo

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Killingyouguy! posted:

Eh, I'd just put the couch in front of it or something. It's a wall with a shelf jutting out at this point.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Killingyouguy! posted:

Actually putting wallpaper where the hole would be is a pretty common way to deal with a closed up fire place. Something like this

is pretty popular. But I've also seen books, floral arrangements, busts, and all sorts of other things. Another idea is, instead of putting something floor level, you hang something from the mantel

All the examples I find are Christmas or hippie-dippy, but that gives you the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Killingyouguy! posted:

Mine is walled up like that but the brick and board were painted black. I think it looks alright, it dominates the main room of my tiny apartment so they couldn't really hide it.

If your landlord lets you paint stuff you could maybe do an accent wall type thing?