Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

It was called Profit.

Yeah and it was sleazy and gross and had corporate execs abusing the hell out of underlings and played off as so shocking and gross it can't be real.

No, EGG is talking about a different show called Action. Profit was about sociopathic corporate execs while action was an account of the abuses and excesses of Hollywood thinly disguised as comedy.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Feb 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

AceOfFlames posted:

No, EGG is talking about a different show called Action. Profit was about sociopathic corporate execs while action was an account of the abuses and excesses of Hollywood thinly disguised as comedy.

Yeah, it was Action. The main character is trying to make an action flick to come back from a major loss. It turns out the brothers own the rights for something relating to the script and they'll waive them if they can have their way with his assistant, who used to be a child star. She lets them, but it's treated as pretty traumatic. It's not just played for laughs, from memory.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Yeah, it was Action. The main character is trying to make an action flick to come back from a major loss. It turns out the brothers own the rights for something relating to the script and they'll waive them if they can have their way with his assistant, who used to be a child star. She lets them, but it's treated as pretty traumatic. It's not just played for laughs, from memory.

That's it! Thanks, I couldn't remember a couple key details.

IIRC theres also a very Bojack scene where she chews the exec she works for a new one, because of what it did to her mentally, and he genuinely doesn't get it, because in his mind the importance was the rights they waived.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Feb 15, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

hyperhazard posted:

:hfive: I just got to that episode last night. Robert is a great foil to Dwight because Dwight calls him out on his manipulative poo poo. Dwight's overall arc is pretty great, especially how the relationship between him and Jim changes.

Still bouncing around a bit as I re-watch, but that's mostly because I can't stand the parts where Nellie is manager. Her character gets better, but she's incredibly mean and obnoxious at the beginning. We're supposed to feel sorry for her when Andy starts tormenting her, but honestly it's hard to care. I wish they'd played around more with female bosses, because Jo Bennet is excellent.

I'm onto the Nellie as Manager episodes and while she is irritating I kind of get what they are going for. Nellie and Robert are clearly in it together in the long run, she is part of his plan to run the Sabre Stores into the ground, and replacing Andy with her was probably always in the cards. Andy was, to Robert, a useful idiot, but that can only take you so far. Nellie is directly working for Robert intentionally, a much better puppet because she knows she is one and doesn't care.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Erin/Andy relationship is one of the worst handled things in season 8, mostly because they just kept being really weird about having them actually be a couple. It's like they wanted to have another Jim/Pam arc without any of the barriers, so they threw in weird ones like Erin dating Gabe, where outside of 1 episode appears to just hate him.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
holy poo poo the trailer park boys animated series is worse on transphobia and even homophobia. i'm 5 episodes in and just done.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
TPB animated series is absolute pure garbage. Far worse than even the latest seasons have been. It’s incredibly mean and disgusting. That show was so much better when it was stuff like Ricky kidnapping Alex Lifeson so Bubbles could get tickets to a Rush show. I wish we could have gotten more episodes like that with over the top schemes and shenanigans that were silly and fun. The show is just painful to watch at this point.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Elissimpark posted:

That was a good series. She wasn't an assistant however, she was a sexworker he'd raised up to executive level, one of a series of crazy moves he made. I have a dim memory that the lead character is actually meant to be crazy, like he's had a breakdown, but he was always an rear end in a top hat. There were plenty of references to post terrible things he'd done.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

holy poo poo the trailer park boys animated series is worse on transphobia and even homophobia. i'm 5 episodes in and just done.

I watched the first episode to see how they handled Lahey and lost my loving poo poo at the fact that they were, honest to Christ, just looping cuts of his old dialogue.

The actor didn't record any lines before he died, they didn't get a soundalike, they just did it like a loving youtube poop and had a literal "poo poo-hawk" swoop him away out of nowhere at the end of the episode.

:cripes:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

nonathlon posted:

That was a good series. She wasn't an assistant however, she was a sexworker he'd raised up to executive level, one of a series of crazy moves he made. I have a dim memory that the lead character is actually meant to be crazy, like he's had a breakdown, but he was always an rear end in a top hat. There were plenty of references to post terrible things he'd done.

You're right, I was just trying to be concise. From memory, she was brutally honest about the poo poo film that failed that kicks off the story.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Action! was loving great but a bit too inside baseball for mass appeal.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I watched the first episode to see how they handled Lahey and lost my loving poo poo at the fact that they were, honest to Christ, just looping cuts of his old dialogue.

The actor didn't record any lines before he died, they didn't get a soundalike, they just did it like a loving youtube poop and had a literal "poo poo-hawk" swoop him away out of nowhere at the end of the episode.

:cripes:

That’s hosed up. It’s kind of like what happened when Isaac Hayes quit South Park, but even that was aimed more at Scientology than anything else. And, you know, Hayes was still alive. Doing it because an actor died is insane.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s hosed up. It’s kind of like what happened when Isaac Hayes quit South Park, but even that was aimed more at Scientology than anything else. And, you know, Hayes was still alive. Doing it because an actor died is insane.

Didn’t sealab 2021 do one of those with the captain before replacing him completely? I thought it was handled well but I was probably drunk when I saw it so what do I know.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hughlander posted:

Didn’t sealab 2021 do one of those with the captain before replacing him completely? I thought it was handled well but I was probably drunk when I saw it so what do I know.

I don't think so. Last ep Murphy appeared in, he was just seen running on a TV screen.

Probably the most interesting use of a deceased actor's voice happened in the videogame Persona 5: the actor who plays the series mainstay Igor died and it looks as if they simply recast him in this game...until the end of where it's revealed that this Igor is actually the game's villain in disguise. When the real Igor is released, they use clips from the dead actor instead.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Hughlander posted:

If I recall the last episode where his character had a speaking part (the one where he finally becomes an Adrienne BarbeuBot with D-cups of justice) was done with spliced together lines.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

AceOfFlames posted:

When the real Igor is released, they use clips from the dead actor instead.

Unless this is in a language different than english I don't think this is the case. It's just a kind of bad soundalike

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

How about an actor dying, when there's a scene left to shoot with them?

Fortunately, the latest in audio editing and CGI comes to the rescue;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqk0-HrMQyo

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

Unless this is in a language different than english I don't think this is the case. It's just a kind of bad soundalike

The English version got a new voice actor, though I'm not sure why. The Japanese version is the one where they reused old clips.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Laterite posted:

Action! was loving great but a bit too inside baseball for mass appeal.

I still, years later, get a laugh from the rising starlet who was called "Reagan Bush".

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

One thing that didn't age well on a really new show is Hitchcock on Brooklyn 99, which is weird because the show is so good on so many other points, and he's just SO gross about it sometimes. I'm especially thinking of the end of Season 4 where Jake and Rosa are both going for that task force, and Rosa's hyperdosing Jake with Caffiene. At one point, Hitchcock catches her dropping mysterious white pills into his water and shaking them up, and he just smiles and nods.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
He’s also very frequently the butt of jokes and is massively disliked by literally everyone. He’s the ‘older cop’ stereotype that’s specifically designed to be ‘from a worse time’.

I agree it’s gross to watch though, but he’s very much a figure of ridicule and hatred.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Captain Monkey posted:

He’s also very frequently the butt of jokes and is massively disliked by literally everyone. He’s the ‘older cop’ stereotype that’s specifically designed to be ‘from a worse time’.

I agree it’s gross to watch though, but he’s very much a figure of ridicule and hatred.

That's fair, it just seems weird to me to have a character in your show that's celebrated for being great about respresentation have a character who's so gross that half the time, you just send him away from the plot to avoid having to deal with the implications.

Though I have to admit I do like the other, less gross jokes about Hitchcock, like him constantly taking his shirt off or bleeding.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

Isn't it also implied couple of times that Hitchcock and the other old dude are actually very competent detectives, but they have decided to just go with the "old gross has been" routine to run out the clock to a full pension?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

Isn't it also implied couple of times that Hitchcock and the other old dude are actually very competent detectives, but they have decided to just go with the "old gross has been" routine to run out the clock to a full pension?

It's shown that they used to be good detectives, but any time they end up in the field, they end up loving up, like Jake's drug case.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Neito posted:

It's shown that they used to be good detectives, but any time they end up in the field, they end up loving up, like Jake's drug case.

They used to be outstanding detectives. Then they discovered Wingsluts.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

There was the one time they solved a case with pretty good detective skills (involving decorative rocks and a parrot in the background of a phone call) but they didn't want credit for it because then they would be expected to keep being good detectives.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

pentyne posted:

IASIP is one of the best examples I have seen of aging well. It started in 2005, and even today the early seasons still hold up without being as terrible as some of the stuff from that time. So few other "shock" comedies from that time can say the same.

In 2009 we had The Hangover, which has aged very poorly in that the main characters are hurling the insult "human being" at each other.

Always Sunny is even featured and discussed for this very reason in this "woke" era of media portrayal as how that kind of humor can be done right. Some of the stuff they probably won't repeat, but even for the time they did it they were way ahead of the social curve for that. Most trans humor/jokes in the first decade of the 2000s is pretty revolting to see now.

IASIP is good about it because they recognize when they hosed up or something didn't age well or wasn't funny in retrospect and either retool it or drop it instead of insisting it's still funny or good.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah they’re repeatedly shown to have once been amazing detectives, and still are when it comes to cake related crimes. They just got fat and lazy after getting addicted to the wingsluts sauce after they saved that lady.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Humerus posted:

There was the one time they solved a case with pretty good detective skills (involving decorative rocks and a parrot in the background of a phone call) but they didn't want credit for it because then they would be expected to keep being good detectives.

The opener of this season has them be key to solving a case, specifically because they knew an out-of-place hotdog vendor.

They're skilled detectives that no longer have the motivation to be good detectives. Or, in Hitchcock's case, a good person.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
It's consistent with the show's progressive themes that Hitchcock and Scully are universally loathed because they are reprehensible people, without having any bearing because on their job performance.

They're deplorables who happen to be skilled detectives, not the other way around.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

wizzardstaff posted:

It's consistent with the show's progressive themes that Hitchcock and Scully are universally loathed because they are reprehensible people, without having any bearing because on their job performance.

They're deplorables who happen to be skilled detectives, not the other way around.

Scully is less a terrible person and more too gullible to survive without Hitchcock. Hitchcock is the nasty old man.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The terrible bit is wokewashing the NYPD.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

evobatman posted:

But enough about Sense8.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

evobatman posted:

The way they generally handle that is that the Nine-Nine is basically the only good precinct. Every peek we get anywhere else, including just going downstairs, depicts the NYPD as generally just awful, in all the ways the NYPD are awful.

And even the Nine-Nine has crooked cops, wannabe heroes, and a detective written up several times for excessive violence.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cleretic posted:

The way they generally handle that is that the Nine-Nine is basically the only good precinct. Every peek we get anywhere else, including just going downstairs, depicts the NYPD as generally just awful, in all the ways the NYPD are awful.

And even the Nine-Nine has crooked cops, wannabe heroes, and a detective written up several times for excessive violence.

The one "Very special episode" where Terry gets racially profiled by Quinn from Dexter was really crappy. I get what they were trying to do, but it tonally didn't fit into the show at all.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i haven't seen the "haha nypd cops are fun and cool like andy samberg" show but i hear it's funny

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Last Chance posted:

i haven't seen the "haha nypd cops are fun and cool like andy samberg" show but i hear it's funny

i mean it's not like there's a ton of posts above you talking about how the show actually addresses how lovely cops are repeatedly again and again and again

is it some anarchist cop abolitionist thing

no

is it up front about all the bigotry and inequality in the system

yes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

AFewBricksShy posted:

The one "Very special episode" where Terry gets racially profiled by Quinn from Dexter was really crappy. I get what they were trying to do, but it tonally didn't fit into the show at all.

They had a generally better 'Very Special Episode' last season. It was described as 'a #MeToo episode' before airing, which was a bit cringey in description, but they made the right choices in A: not actually saying anything like that inside the episode, and B: just getting some comedic loving powerhouses in and letting it be a generally good B99 episode that takes a break in the middle for a scene that actually talks about the issue without jokes... which most episodes do anyway. It wasn't slathered on as heavily as the racial profiling episode.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It is kind of interesting since most other cop shows tend to have problems be the result of a bad seed only there for an episode rather than a bigger systemic issue.

I know The Wire has every cop except McNulty do some kind of corrupt action, but McNulty had way different problems in his life. Until season 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

B99 shows us that cops are like you and me, some good and some bad. People just trying to get through the day.