Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dimitri is Phoenix Wright, Felix is Miles Edgeworth, and Sylvain is Larry Butz. These are my Fire Emblem Three Houses opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
that's why I concede he's a well written character, it's just a personal dislike. The game doesn't excuse his actions but it clearly expects you to find him sympathetic enough to care more about his pain and like him at least a little as a person and due to my own personal experiences with men hurting close friends and then people flocking to stay friends with that man or defend him/downplay the abuse he did to my friend, I just am not capable of being neutral about this trope.

I could just happily go the rest of my life without seeing sympathetic misogynists in fiction for any reason, but I guess that's very much a personal thing. My problem is not with Sylvain specifically, but the greater cultural storytelling trend of men who abuse women but what is really important to the narrative is that abusive man's pain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but that isnt the trope he is

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
In what way? How is the story not expecting you to sympathize with and understand him because of his tragic backstory, despite his misogyny and deliberate mistreatment of women? The narrative doesn't have to go 'gently caress yeah, he's the best woo slaying pussy' to be that trope. It's about prioritizing the pain that he feels over the pain that he deliberately inflicts in women, and the narrative absolutely does, that, glossing over the incidents where he deliberatly treats women badly as comedy relief, never showing him doing the worst of it to a named female character so that his victims aren't really given a voice or face in the narrative, and ultimately indulging the trope of 'he's only a misogynist because he's hurting inside'. I really can't come away with any other interpretation. Consider how much screen time is given to treating the tragedy of his backstory seriously and with gravity compared to how much screentime is given to how his behavior hurts the women around him, and how much of the latter category either reduces his behavior to a punchline. I'm not saying they don't also show that he hurts women and take that seriously, I'm saying the narrative is much more interested in talking about how tragic it is that he is this way than it is in the damage he does. Which is not inherently bad writing, I'm just personally tired of it.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 15, 2020

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Dedue: I would murder children if Dimitri told me to

Sylvain: I hate women

Sylvain: I would also murder children if Dimitri told me to

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

tbh lorenz is probably worse towards women than sylvain is

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

What am I supposed to be doing with my downtime in the second half of the game?

Also, how much am I hurting my playthrough if I leave some characters in their advanced classes? So far the mastery classes feel a lot more similar to each other than the advanced classes, which is too bad.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Junpei Hyde posted:

the game expects me to like Sylvain a lot more than Lorenz, one is presented as a tragic figure who is ultimately a good boy deep down inside and one is presented as a human joke that no one likes

i admit that this is only my own read and ymmv

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

VikingofRock posted:

Also, how much am I hurting my playthrough if I leave some characters in their advanced classes? So far the mastery classes feel a lot more similar to each other than the advanced classes, which is too bad.

Mastery classes are very specialized and not straight upgrades. You are absolutely fine if you use just advanced classes. I usually just spam fed even more to shore up supports/pick up random ones.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

capitaldelendaest posted:

the game expects me to like Sylvain a lot more than Lorenz, one is presented as a tragic figure who is ultimately a good boy deep down inside and one is presented as a human joke that no one likes

i admit that this is only my own read and ymmv

ok but sylvain is cute

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

VikingofRock posted:

It is fine to use advanced classes (and really, don't worry about optimization except on maddening). I prefer both Swordmaster and Assassin over Mortal Savant and typically leave sword users in one of those. Bishop is also good depending on the unit, since sometimes you want the heal bonus, or you want a male unit to have double white magic uses (Linhardt).

Falcon Knight and Wyvern Lord are straight upgrades though, so definitely work towards those. I would also recommend War Master and Gremory over their counterparts in advanced classes. Bow Knight is generally better but Sniper has Hunter's Volley so I'd unlock both and switch between the two depending on the map.

Is there a specific character or class you're wondering about?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
-edited out some bullshit that was out of line and not helpful-

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 16, 2020

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I could be misremembering some scenes, but overall I feel like Sylvain has two big things that keep his creep factor from being intolerable:
1) he's upfront about what he's doing. He's after a good time, if you're down for that he's looking.
2) he's reasonably good about reading social cues, so if you give him a firm no he'll back off (notice that most of his supports with women stop at B)

Not to say he doesn't have misogynist tendencies, he's absolutely the type to just hit on people unasked, and his core damage means he treats women as inherently gold diggers. Simultaneously, the harshest he ever gets called out in the game is the one instance we see where he's clearly wrong about that.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
there's uh, a lot of support conversations and skits that imply he's deliberately cruel to the girls he sleeps with either in order to drive them away or because he's preemptively decided they are gold diggers. I don't know how to not read that as emotional abuse? but the game also downplays it by never giving those girls a name, face or voice, so it's easily overlooked and harder to empathize with them. It's careful to not show him doing that to named characters.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Junpei Hyde posted:

Ehh, Lorenz harasses women and immediately puts them off, whereas Sylvain draws them in and then crushes them.

Neither is good, but Lorenz clearly doesn't care how they feel, while Sylvain cares, and resents his victims for making him feel bad. I'd give the point to Sylvain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

capitaldelendaest posted:

I'm sorry, I maybe am really bringing too much RL baggage to the table here.
a person said a fictional character was cute and you immediately dropped all this rl poo poo on them to guilt trip them, yeah. its reasonable for your rl experiences to affect how you view fiction but its not reasonable to expect your rl experiences to affect how other people view fiction

source: i am a woman who has been abused

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
ugh, you're right, sorry. My intent was not to guilt trip, I still have some pretty raw feelings about it and I'll edit it out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I get how this stuff can hit a nerve for the record and I do get why you'd have some reservations about how Sylvain is handled

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
thanks for acknowleding that, and for calling me out for being out of line, which I was. I apologize.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 16, 2020

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Sylvain is a piece of trash and boring imo, like all the Blue Lions (excepting Annette)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

indigi posted:

Sylvain is a piece of trash and boring imo, like all the Blue Lions (excepting Annette)

untrue

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

indigi posted:

The Blue Lions are good, especially Annette.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Watching someone stream the sidestory, person who beat all 4 routes on hard

Is losing horribly on chapter 2 after like 4 divine pulses, before even reinforcements show up.

He refuses to use combat arts and constantly attacks axes with lances, and always gets surprised when assassins double Hapi and Constance.

This is the 90% of people that play this game.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Yeah if you're posting on the internet about fire emblem you're already way above average. My cousin just rammed his characters into the prologue in an attempt to get Claude killed and only narrowly failed to do so, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Something that bothers me with the Wolves, even more so after playing them, is that they really aren't meant to show off their classes that well, and well...it's a bit lame we have two more melee suited men and two more caster suited ladies in a game with LOTS of both.

Yuri is probably the closest to showing off the potential of his class, and that's mostly down to his relic and him getting Restore. The other magical tricks he has aren't great.

Balthus meanwhile is just better off as a standard punchman.

Constance wants 2x black magic uses, though canto is nice when she's so squishy.

Hapi I guess does okay, Troub isn't super special it's just mobility and range and to be fair those are just generically good.

But overall, the game doesn't lack amazing female casters, between Lysithea, Dorothea, and Marianne, Constance only gets a nod because she has Bolting, while Hapi doesn't really do anything special. Balthus is just the cooler Raphael. Yuri is a better dodgy sword guy than Ashe and Ignatz but not replacing Felix or Petra. I just wish we got some more frontline beef that was a lady. Like imagine if Balthus was Effie but for punching instead of lances. :allears:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Eimi posted:

Balthus is just the cooler Raphael.

nobody is cooler than Raphael.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Effie would love to tear apart things with her bare hands.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Genovera posted:

Is there a specific character or class you're wondering about?

Not in particular, I'm just looking for general advice. I'm on my first playthrough, and the moment I hit the second half of the game I felt like I know longer knew what I should be doing, or working towards.

Your post was very helpful, thanks!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hapi is basically female Lyndardt with better mage class options.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hapi is super chill and disillusioned at the same time. Don't need good stats when you're a badass in the chats.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tae posted:

Hapi is basically female Lyndardt with better mage class options.

Ah, wow looking at her spell list, she really is. Lin with better offensive options and gremory. :wow: She can't take his niche as a male healer though.

And I'm more just disappointed at them just fitting into more conventional archetypes than there usefulness. I would have liked more lady frontliners and dude casters/support basically.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 16, 2020

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hapi/Constance get warp/rescue respectively, so theyre good

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Amppelix posted:

If you bring edelgard over to attack him he does all "Ah... princess edelgard???" and she answers predictably with a "get hosed nerd"

Eimi posted:

Which just makes him being there even more confused.

E: As for what I'd want going forward...I don't have strong opinions on remakes, but ultimately I'll be happy if whatever we get going forward continues to expand on the amount of LGBT characters, endings, and content of 3H.

I just woke up so missed replying earlier so... Metodey is very subtly implied to be one of Arundel's men in the Japanese text of Holy Tomb. This story finally seems to confirm this.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I've just noticed that War Monk has halved spell uses like the starter classes. Plus it doesn't seem to give any kind of magic bonus. What's the point of a hybrid class if using it for anything but a lovely War Master is so disincentivised? Who thought that a selling point of some not exactly cheap DLC needed to be so over-balanced?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

McTimmy posted:

I just woke up so missed replying earlier so... Metodey is very subtly implied to be one of Arundel's men in the Japanese text of Holy Tomb. This story finally seems to confirm this.

Ah! I guess without the JP text I missed that. Not exactly clear but neat that's what they were implying.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

McTimmy posted:

げへへへ抵抗する奴は殺していいとさ。さて、どう調理してやろうか - Geheheheheh context person (*gee I wonder who just said it was okay to kill anyone who resisted*) said it's okay to kill those who resist. Now then, how shall I cook you...

や、やめろ やめてくれ 俺はあいつの命令に従っただけ げは!St-Stop! Please stop! I only followed *THAT PERSON*'s orders! Gehuh! (*gee whoever's orders could he possibly be referring to ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*)

Wow so very subtle and not at all flat out made up bullshit you just posted.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I have no idea what is being discussed rn

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Perfect Potato posted:

げへへへ抵抗する奴は殺していいとさ。さて、どう調理してやろうか - Geheheheheh context person (*gee I wonder who just said it was okay to kill anyone who resisted*) said it's okay to kill those who resist. Now then, how shall I cook you...

や、やめろ やめてくれ 俺はあいつの命令に従っただけ げは!St-Stop! Please stop! I only followed *THAT PERSON*'s orders! Gehuh! (*gee whoever's orders could he possibly be referring to ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*)

Wow so very subtle and not at all flat out made up bullshit you just posted.

what

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
This DLC is hard I’m going to have to turn off “classic mode”. It would require perfection to make sure no one dies.

I wish I could import in my Blyeth with S+ in just about every skill. I get though the DLC is meant to be a real challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DropsySufferer posted:

This DLC is hard I’m going to have to turn off “classic mode”. It would require perfection to make sure no one dies.

I wish I could import in my Blyeth with S+ in just about every skill. I get though the DLC is meant to be a real challenge.

Yeah the DLC is absolutely a response to everyone who was like "oh this game is too easy" I turned it down to normal and even then it was a challenge.