Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

NihilCredo posted:

I started reading both OotS and 8BT in 2004.

I know because at the time I was in high school and thought 8BT was by far the better comic - and upon reflection, at the time, it was (2004 is around the end of the first dungeon). I liked 8BT so much I immediately did what a lot of mega-nerds used to do about stuff they like: I turned it into a MTG set, which conveniently preserved the creation date:

Lol that when you were in high school you were a grognard who didn't like the new card frame/layout (or the program/website you were using didn't support it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I tried reading oots twice and bounced off hard, the third time I caught up to the current page: V discovering that familicide had killed eveyone in the pyramid.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tvtropes promotes a bizarre analytical-positivist approach to literature. analytical positivism isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when a bunch of nerds decide that ah! the hero's journey mist start with the mcguffin falling into the hands of the Chosen One by way of the Wise Mentor or it ain't poo poo! that becomes truly ridiculous - basically the tvtroper type starts imposing their tropes on all texts they encounter since that is the only way they're able to critically approach text. i have seen this happen to non-idiots who are too online in my own life and it's enormously irritating

there are serious academics looking at narrative commonalities, cliches, tropes etc, and it's a legitimate line of inquiry, but the tvtroper culture is a bunch of amateurs treating the written word as a maths problem

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
TVTropes tends to foster a sort of cargo cultish approach to literary analysis, because it focuses mostly on easily noticeable but superficial elements, and can lead people to use these tropes as building blocks because they start to think that's how stories are planned.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
For me its like:

1. Finding media that's similar to media I already like.
2. Learning or becoming more aware of tropes I wasn't aware of before or never noticed but now I do, And It Makes Me Think.
3. By being aware of these tropes, true 90% of media doesn't surprise me anymore; but it makes genuinely good media stand out for either its novelty, effort, or the quality of the overall craft.

In combination its made me appreciate things I like and things I like that also manage to stand out from the crowd in some way.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
TVT is perfectly fine if you take it as what it was always supposed to be: For entertainment purposes. Spend an evening wikiwalking and finding out about new works or whatever. Maybe even learn something new about stories and how they're made.

It's just a lot of people try to use it for actual guidance for writing or litcrit and that's when things gently caress up.
Also one has to keep in mind it's a wiki so you can't actually take anything it says on pure face value, even random fandom trivia, because people are often wrong.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
In the main webcomics thread, I described Daughter of the Lillies as "the comic Tropers think they're writing when they fill it wall-to-wall with tropes."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I am, technically, a TV Tropes emigree to Something Awful, in the sense that I learned about TV Tropes because someone left the tab open in the highschool computer science classroom and I eventually made an account, found out about Dwarf Fortress there, learned out about Boatmurdered and the Let's Play subforum because of it, and started lurking here at just about the same time I got banned from TV Tropes for calling certain people a bunch of creepy pedophiles.

e: I also learned about OotS there, I think

my dad fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 14, 2020

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Boat murdered was real good, wasn't it?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Every single one of my old accounts has posted to this thread during its thirteen year existence

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
oh god this thread is 13 years old

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Checking back on page 1, this thread was started on the strip of Miko killing Shojo, 683 strips ago. That's the amount of strips that have been discussed in almost twice as many pages.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Good lord.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Real talk, my questions are:

1) How many pages are taken up by posts containing a variation on “I hope Rich is okay”

2) How many pages are posts containing links to Goblins

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Thaddius the Large posted:

Real talk, my questions are:

1) How many pages are taken up by posts containing a variation on “I hope Rich is okay”

2) How many pages are posts containing links to Goblins

1) Not enough

2) Too many

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

riderchop posted:

oh god this thread is 13 years old

https://youtu.be/LRSjKfvm368

Is this the oldest thread on SA, or at least the longest an OT thread has gone without a new thread?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Unlucky7 posted:

https://youtu.be/LRSjKfvm368

Is this the oldest thread on SA, or at least the longest an OT thread has gone without a new thread?

How long hast the legend of galactic heroes thread been up in adtrw?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Len posted:

How long hast the legend of galactic heroes thread been up in adtrw?

The Legend of the Galactic Heroes thread is about two and a half years older than this thread, opened in October of 2004.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
it's easy to forget before they purged it partially in response to SA mockery, TVT had a lot of pages dedicated to catalouging things like panty shots, rape tropes, fetish tropes with long and exhaustive sections on underage characters in kids media, and a bunch of skeevy stuff along those lines. It's been cleaned up a lot

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

capitaldelendaest posted:

it's easy to forget before they purged it partially in response to SA mockery, TVT had a lot of pages dedicated to catalouging things like panty shots, rape tropes, fetish tropes with long and exhaustive sections on underage characters in kids media, and a bunch of skeevy stuff along those lines. It's been cleaned up a lot

I thought it was due to Google not being willing to put up ads on a website that contained that stuff.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
That was probably a bigger reason for the purge, yeah. I forgot about that element.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

There were also really long threads about oots prior to this one

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I find it really touching that this thread has remained so healthy for so long, which I think is, obviously, a testament to how consistently good the strip has been. Whenever I think about urging people to reboot or shut down really really long threads I'm like "but not OotS, never OotS..."

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Oots oots oots oots oots

Eifert Posting posted:

Well after Belkar's most recent speech I think it's pretty much a sure thing that he dies in 5-10 strips.

With Belkar dies my interest in this webcomic.

I posted this in march 2011.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Eifert Posting posted:

Oots oots oots oots oots

I posted this in march 2011.

I don't think I've ever predicted anything that wasn't utterly, humiliating wrong about oots

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I've been posting in this thread for ten years. That's mind boggling

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't post about Alignment chat so I have far less posts than some of you weirdos. :colbert:
e - less than a page worth, but 7 years cripes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

I've been posting in this thread for ten years. That's mind boggling

My first in thread was 07, and I was in giantitp before that.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Posting just to see what my oldest post is, but I remember I started reading about the time some strips appeared in Dragon Magazine.

E: early 2012 at Girald's Gate was my first post in thread though I know I started reading some time before that.

E2: I've averaged one post a year in this thread.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 16, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Looks like I started posting right after the end of book 5. I think I'd been lurking for a while longer, but obviously there's no record of that.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
I remember reading some when they were still in the initial dungeon, then forgetting about it and coming back and reading it around the early azure city stuff, and then coming back and being pretty consistent (as much as the updates would allow) from the battle of azure city onward. I’ve reread a few times, so its hard to place exactly where I was when I was reading the comic for the first time, but its been a long loving time.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Is rich ok?

Edit: April 2007 was my first post here. Yikes.

Chrungka
Jan 27, 2015
:siren: Rich is ok http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1192.html :siren:

Looks like we are currently on one strip a week schedule. Let's see how long will it last.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm claiming half-credit for that.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bah, kids these days with their fancy homebrewed spells.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
So it's like a magical Friends and Family cellular plan. As long as you only contact family and those with whom you would swear a blood oath, you get around most of the limitations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

IMJack posted:

So it's like a magical Friends and Family cellular plan. As long as you only contact family and those with whom you would swear a blood oath, you get around most of the limitations.

This screams a DnD game exploit.

"So if we swear a blood oath against that drunk at the bar we can use the magic of the blood oath for spell modification?"

"Well yes but you need to kill him..."

"WHEN do we need to kill him? Is there a limit on blood oaths?"

"... Damnit guys."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Donkringel posted:

"So if we swear a blood oath against that drunk at the bar we can use the magic of the blood oath for spell modification?"

"... Damnit guys."

And when they finally remember to get back around to that, they find out that Random Drunk finally cleaned up his act in the interceding years and went on to become another world-renowned hero at least on par with the party members who swore the oath against him... Or he became wealthy enough to hire a whole company of them to protect him.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Donkringel posted:

"... Damnit guys."

I mean, the whole "you can't go to your afterlife until someone kills the drunk at the bar" bit is a bit of an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Especially if the drunk succumbs to drunken misadventures or the like.