Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I am on a cut and just got vascularised calves for the first time

Feels good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Thor just pulled a 1058lb deadlift

Good god almighty.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
He wants that 501kg baaaaaad

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Eddie Hall still gonna whine about the elephant bar.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

ANGRYGREEK posted:

I am very shy about recording myself in the midst of the gym, probably because we’re talking about deadlifting 300, squatting ca 220 and maybe benching 200 pounds. I am proud of my progress, but it’s nothing to brag about.
Thanks for the tips, as always. Swole thread, best thread (to mostly lurk).

My numbers are also nothing to brag about (255 squat, 225 deadlift, unspeakably low bench and overhead press), but I'll post a video asking for a form check from people in the thread to hopefully help you a little with your shyness.

https://youtu.be/-4mFn4fdTe8

Do you guys see any glaring issues? After watching the video I feel like I'm bending at the knees too soon and maybe letting the bar drift a little right at the bottom. Also, totally relate to whoever said deadlifting with octagonal plates is suffering.

I also mentioned it before in the thread, but going up in weight on the deadlift has been a huge pain because I have joint hypermobility and I feel like it's affecting my grip strength considerably.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
doesn't look too bad to me. On some reps, specifically on the negative, it looks like you might be hyperextending your back a bit. Possibly because of keeping your head a bit too far up. I wouldn't freak out about it or anything though, if it's not causing you issues.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Haven't watched the video, and apropos of nothing: what the gently caress is wrong with your hands?! (Yes, I know)

Just get some good straps and you won't have to worry about it. Then, your grip is only keeping the straps tight, not keeping a grip on the bar itself.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

It's hard to tell but I'd work on moving the bar in a straight line. Looks like maybe you're starting a tiny bit out front.

Also weird hands. Spoiler tag that. (Straps or hookgrip.)

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

nooneofconsequence posted:

Eddie Hall still gonna whine about the elephant bar.

And compare a lift made with a suit with a raw lift (+straps).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That bar is far too clean to lift heavy.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

How jacked do you have to be to pull off leggings with no shorts?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Depends. I'm 6'1 205ish, and feel like I look okay in them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8pBu87ljsB/

If you have small calves, shorts will probably just make you look worse tbh.

e: Bonus cable humps https://www.instagram.com/p/B4qaba9AmcF/

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 16, 2020

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I got an inch and about 20 lbs on you some I'm not there yet. But don't worry my calves are huge. ps nice pulls

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There's a new guy at my gym and all he does are listless cable humps.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

I wish I could do it more often because I have a very high opinion of my legs and butt, but leggings with no shorts don't work because it's tantamount to indecent exposure for me.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

I wish I could do it more often because I have a very high opinion of my legs and butt, but leggings with no shorts don't work because it's tantamount to indecent exposure for me.

For me it's just a matter of finding a good pair of compression undies to wear underneath. Also it honestly feels like leggings that are actually close to being loose are worse, because then you get a silk sheet effect when it comes to shapes.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I keep telling myself I need to buy training shorts. Preferably ones long enough to cover just half of my quad bump.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Someone called the gym today and said there was en emergency for me and that they were my girlfriend.

I'm married with kids and had my cell phone on me and my wife/kids are fine?

Very confusing considering my last name is unique so someone is loving with me. I think I have a gym stalker.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
You have gym stalkers in this very thread, talk about your kettlebell routine more. :tipshat:

Bad joke. That's hosed up.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

MA-Horus posted:

Thor just pulled a 1058lb deadlift

Good god almighty.

The crazy thing was the bar speed - he definitely had some weight in the tank, and he might have been able to pull a double.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

doverhog posted:

You have gym stalkers in this very thread, talk about your kettlebell routine more. :tipshat:

Bad joke. That's hosed up.

Everyone should do simple and sinister after they big lifts, and also on they off days :chaostrump:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I went to a rock climbing gym on Saturday because a good friend was in town. Christ almighty that poo poo is hard. My back and forearms are still sore. It was super fun and everyone was very friendly. It's wild to see people hanging upside down and poo poo.

I feel a little better after deadlifting this morning.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Rando: Mind if I borrow some plates from you?

Me: Sure.

Rando proceeds to grab five 10lb plates and put them on one side of the smith machine so he can do incline press (he had used five on the other side already). He's got 45s and 5s he could use, but he just had to have five tenners on each side. What the gently caress?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Plate math is wild, bro.

Five 10s weighs more than a 45 and a 5 because it's more plates.

And a 45 and a 5 weighs more than five 10s because the 45 is the biggest plate.

:iiam:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

My gym has one set bumper plates. I was doing some cleans and couldn't find one of the 45s. Turns out some people took it the basketball court and were dragging it around by a rope or something. Awesome. As if they weren't crappy enough already.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Survived the day still wondering what happened this morning.

S&S mornings and afternoon swimming is something I could do every day I’m really enjoying the combo. Leaves a lot of room to run and bike.

Do y’all swim at all?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

bomb posted:

Do y’all swim at all?

When I swim it's more like drowning in style.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I swim

In Pussy

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Every since Thor got superfat his strength has been nuts

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

VorpalFish posted:

The crazy thing was the bar speed - he definitely had some weight in the tank, and he might have been able to pull a double.

The arnolds is like 3 weeks out, so I imagine it would be pretty bad if he'd excert himself on this lift.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Zzulu posted:

Every since Thor got superfat his strength has been nuts

Yeah when I showed my GF that video she looked it up, that lift is something like 2.5x bodyweight. He walks around at 420 loving pounds.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

He walks around at 420 loving pounds.

:2bong:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I wouldn't be surprised if he came in at 440+ for the show. Dude's probably ripping down 10-12k calories a day right now :swoon:

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Helios Grime posted:

The arnolds is like 3 weeks out, so I imagine it would be pretty bad if he'd excert himself on this lift.

I know why he didn't, it would be dumb to actually go max effort at this point. I'm just saying, based on bar speed I think it was there.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

VorpalFish posted:

I know why he didn't, it would be dumb to actually go max effort at this point. I'm just saying, based on bar speed I think it was there.

His coach said it correctly, 1058lbs just shouldn't move so fast. It's pretty crazy.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Rando: Mind if I borrow some plates from you?

Me: Sure.

Rando proceeds to grab five 10lb plates and put them on one side of the smith machine so he can do incline press (he had used five on the other side already). He's got 45s and 5s he could use, but he just had to have five tenners on each side. What the gently caress?

I saw this but with 2 dudes doing bench press drops sets, would take every 10lb plate they could find.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Does anyone do lunges regularly? Just trying to keep my balance was tough because I've never really done them before. I used my trap bar and was only able to get 25 reps per leg this morning.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you've only ever done bilateral lower body work, lunges are a big surprise. You'll adapt pretty quickly, though.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I've never tried lunges with a trap bar before, but to me that sounds really awkward. Have you tried with just putting the bar on your back?

Editing for clarity: don't put the trap bar on your back.

Or do, and record it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
SSB's are pretty good for this. A bit of weight on them, and the bar isn't coming off your back which frees your arms up.

That said, I still ain't doing lunges

I take the stairs 2 at a time in my house, that's my unilateral work.