Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Goddamn even for the apparent 'good' ending they had me going for awhile. Naming the sword hosed me up a little bit.

gently caress was that a good epic ending, way to go game.

Off to Toussaint for one last ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ah drat I hosed up the Novigrad serial killer sidequest in my replay because I got mad at the red herring torturing Sweet Nettie and murdered him before he could point me towards the real killer.

Are there any story consequences for this or is it just "you don't get to see how this sidestory ends"?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Nah, you just get laughed at by the killer's flyers the rest of the game

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nah, you just get laughed at by the killer's flyers the rest of the game

Even when I find the killer they're still there all game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hunterhr posted:

Goddamn even for the apparent 'good' ending they had me going for awhile. Naming the sword hosed me up a little bit.

gently caress was that a good epic ending, way to go game.

Off to Toussaint for one last ride.

That entire sequence had me going "wait where did I go wrong, what did I gently caress up" until the swerve.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

found the ursine gear, it looks much better on g-ralt but my stamina was recharging way slower than i’m used to and it was messing up my combat pattern something fierce. then i just tossed on the griffin gloves, boots, and pants and now i’m back in the groove while still looking incredibly fly. this game is Good.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Holy poo poo troll mutagens are a pain to get.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Holy poo poo troll mutagens are a pain to get.
Can you even get any if you're not an awful person who murders innocent, adorable trolls?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I skipped killing any on my first playthrough but finally broke down on the second one and killed the rabid troll by kaer morhen. And then felt bad. There is no troll that deserves to die in this game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

orcane posted:

Can you even get any if you're not an awful person who murders innocent, adorable trolls?
I don't know. I wasn't sure if they dropped from regular rabid trolls/ice trolls or not. Either way its not the end of the world (I already skipped on getting both the succubus and doppler mutagens) but it sits in alchemy recipes, taunting me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's a little bridge northeast of Bald Mountain in Velen that has a bandit camp. After you clear it out a few days later a troll moves in under the bridge. He's hostile so you can kill him and he respawns every few days, so you can try farming him for Mutagens.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

orcane posted:

You have to kill a troll for the master armorer quest. There’s a few other hostile trolls too. You don’t have to kill any that talk to you or cuss at you.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yeah, the only mutagens you cannot get without being an awful person are succubus and doppler. The only alchemy ingredients that are actually hard to find (I think) are cave troll livers and cockatrice stomachs.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

There is a respawning cockatrice near Novigrad and also one on Skellige for this very reason.
There are a few rabid trolls dotted around too for mutagen and liver drops, Ice troll don't drop them from what I've found, only the rabid trolls.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Helith posted:

There is a respawning cockatrice near Novigrad and also one on Skellige for this very reason.
There are a few rabid trolls dotted around too for mutagen and liver drops, Ice troll don't drop them from what I've found, only the rabid trolls.

Livers seem to drop pretty regularly ( I have more than enough for all my potions) but still no mutagen, at least for me. Oh well.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Witcher 2: I just realized for the first time after 8 or 9 playthroughs; that you can actually visit Iorveth’s lair in the woods outside of Flotsam. I had no idea!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Nthing do HoS first then tie a bow on the game with B&W. Sure, HoS is self-contained and works by itself if you're around level 28-30, but B&W is absolutely positively a love letter and ending to the whole Witcher series. Do it very last. Do HoS after or slightly before you finish the main game. Though narratively, the endgame is fairly urgent.

My personal recommendation is release order. Main game, HoS, B&W.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Witcher 2: I just realized for the first time after 8 or 9 playthroughs; that you can actually visit Iorveth’s lair in the woods outside of Flotsam. I had no idea!

I like the areas in chapter 1 and 2 a billion times more than the giant open world of W3. It's just pretty cool to actually have to go looking for monster nests for example instead of them being 50 copypasted encounters on the map.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

GrossMurpel posted:

I like the areas in chapter 1 and 2 a billion times more than the giant open world of W3.

Ugh. What drives me mad about W1 and W2 is the 'corridor world', the way the 'exploration' is 90% working out how to get to your destination along meandering corridors fenced in by somehow impenetrable weeds. I love just being able to decide I want to go north, and do it, the way you mostly can in Velen.

(Yes, I hate Skellige as well, but at least mountains are a more plausible excuse.)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh dear me posted:

Ugh. What drives me mad about W1 and W2 is the 'corridor world', the way the 'exploration' is 90% working out how to get to your destination along meandering corridors fenced in by somehow impenetrable weeds. I love just being able to decide I want to go north, and do it, the way you mostly can in Velen.

(Yes, I hate Skellige as well, but at least mountains are a more plausible excuse.)

Yeah W2 is very much a KOTOR/Mass Effect style game where the devs went all out to try and make it feel open world. W3 gets to be the opus magnum where all the dreams are realised.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I preferred the more focussed areas in 2 over the open expanse of bandit camp #85 containing yet another useless level 14 pair of shoes in 3, even if Vergen was a bit hard to navigate at first.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nah, I much prefer the sense of a real world in the W3 maps. Bandit Camp #85 exists, but crucially that stuff is scattered as gap fillers in an otherwise interesting map that's full of bespoke locations, as opposed to something like Skyrim which is entirely Bandit Camp #85.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Asehujiko posted:

I preferred the more focussed areas in 2 over the open expanse of bandit camp #85 containing yet another useless level 14 pair of shoes in 3, even if Vergen was a bit hard to navigate at first.

I suppose the ability to wander freely around beautiful countryside is actually something I really want in a game, but I would definitely not have minded fewer non-story enemies in any Witcher.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I actually like both methods and CDPR handles both the smaller scale and larger scale maps very well. I prefer Witcher 3 overall mainly because it’s just “more” of everything that made the first two so good, but find the first two still to be stellar games with great design.

Besides, to me, it’s all just one large game anyway, with each game being a different chapter in Geralt’s recovery from the Wild Hunt. People say the games are separate stories, but I don’t agree. The seeds of Witcher 3 are planted as early as the very first chapters of Witcher 1 and there are a a few major story threads running through all three games. You don’t even find out how Geralt gets dumped in front of Kaer Morhen until you’re well into Witcher 3’s main storyline.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Is it better to stay unlocked while fighting groups? Does the combat have a soft lock-on like some brawlers where your attacks are directed towards the enemy if you face them?

I started yesterday and mostly ran around collecting stuff from points of interest.

I did kill a bear while doing strafing runs with the horse.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

WaltherFeng posted:

Is it better to stay unlocked while fighting groups? Does the combat have a soft lock-on like some brawlers where your attacks are directed towards the enemy if you face them?

I started yesterday and mostly ran around collecting stuff from points of interest.

I did kill a bear while doing strafing runs with the horse.

Yes and yes. I've forgotten lock-on even exists.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, there's soft-lock and it can be pretty annoying if you're playing with M+K and no lock-on.

Also, I strongly recommend turning off the points of interest on your map if this is your first playthrough.
Edit: Just follow roads or ride to places that look interesting on the map. Usually there'll be something there.

itry fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 16, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

itry posted:

Yeah, there's soft-lock and it can be pretty annoying if you're playing with M+K and no lock-on.

Also, I strongly recommend turning off the points of interest on your map if this is your first playthrough.
Edit: Just follow roads or ride to places that look interesting on the map. Usually there'll be something there.

So much this. Don’t treat this game like a Ubisoft collect-a-thon/checklist style game. Go where the writing takes you and explore what looks interesting. Ignore looking for checkmarks everywhere because then you’re just playing a tourist dressed as a Witcher.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I leave points of interest on because I actually think, in contrast to say Breath of the Wild, this game doesn't do "what's over the next hill?" exploration particularly well, partly because the gamefeel is kind of clunky so it doesn't feel that great to wander, and partly because this is a basically thoroughly mapped and settled world. It DOES do "go to this point on your map and see what the thing to do is" really well.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yeah, I did leave the icons on because it's the terrain does look pretty samey and you might find a skill point in the middle of the forest.

It doesnt bother me though, I like having a clear destination and figuring out the rest myself.

Definitely leaving the lock-on off then.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

So much this. Don’t treat this game like a Ubisoft collect-a-thon/checklist style game. Go where the writing takes you and explore what looks interesting. Ignore looking for checkmarks everywhere because then you’re just playing a tourist dressed as a Witcher.

Yeah don’t feel obligated to investigate every ? on the map or you’ll burn out eventually. Even if you focus exclusively on quest objectives this game is about 100 hours long, and there are tons of generic POIs on top of that.

Obviously you should play in the way that’s fun for you and if that means roaming and clearing the map then go for it, but just know that you’re not expected to do this to win or anything, you can stop whenever you want.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah don’t feel obligated to investigate every ? on the map or you’ll burn out eventually. Even if you focus exclusively on quest objectives this game is about 100 hours long, and there are tons of generic POIs on top of that.

Obviously you should play in the way that’s fun for you and if that means roaming and clearing the map then go for it, but just know that you’re not expected to do this to win or anything, you can stop whenever you want.

Are the skill points particularly valuable? Or something you definitely have to look out for?

White Orchard seems pretty small so I might as well do all of them just to get a feel for the game and ignore the rest if theres nothing particularly valuable.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You can also set up your own waypoints on the map.
I didn't mean to suggest that you should now ignore the map and mini-map completely and nvaigate by the sun and moon.

Also,

Ainsley McTree posted:

WaltherFeng posted:

Are the skill points particularly valuable? Or something you definitely have to look out for?

White Orchard seems pretty small so I might as well do all of them just to get a feel for the game and ignore the rest if theres nothing particularly valuable.

Do you mean the places of power?
They're important in that they give you a free skill point and a temp bonus. Also they're cool to find by the sound they make while doing something else.

itry fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 16, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yes. They seem valuable but they dont exactly stick out from the rest.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, a point of interest on the map can be anything. Unless it's in the middle of the sea, then it's probably a sunken treasure.

Edit: They're usually placed in interesting or scenic places.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The skill points aren’t so important that you should spend time seeking them out imo. I played on normal though, maybe it’s a different story on higher difficulties.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
There's an excel spreadsheet on NexusMods that lists all of the "random encounters"/scripted events on the world map and offers a somewhat optimal order to complete them in. Using it is probably the best way to "explore" the Witcher 3 overworld because some things are so specifically located or time sensitive that it's easy to miss if you just blindly wander.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Helith posted:

I haven’t done it but I think because when you first go up to the house she is lying knocked out there and Geralt takes her outside and brings her round, so if you never do the quest she probably dies lying there because you don’t come to help her

I just finished this part in my first playthrough and it's like, neither of these jerks should be king. Both of them would have gleefully rushed off to their deaths if their dad hadn't sent the invincible witcher to come help them. Hjalmar had already gotten almost all his men killed and was all alone surrounded by nekkers by the time you find him.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

the skill points in white orchard are the only ones i bothered to get all, since its small and cute and fun to run around in. the rest you may as well find as you explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

In It For The Tank posted:

Using [an excel spreadsheet] is probably the best way to "explore" the Witcher 3...

I don't mean to OCD shame... but what the heck?

Edit: I couldn't imagine stopping the game every 10 minutes to consult a spreadsheet.