Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

coronavirus posted:

We Are All Gonna Die : Is Burt Dead Yet? - Cruise Virus Megathread

The virus rotted his dick off.

He's now Burt Incel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

ma i married a tuna posted:

Several large US cities are starting to test everyone with flu symptoms for coronavirus.

:laffo: No, they're not

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Computer Serf posted:

:shuckyes:

hmm influenza like illness symptoms are actually the common cold have you tried telling the medical community about your thesis here

What that poster described are common cold symptoms:

ma i married a tuna posted:

My inlaws just returned from a trip to Hawaii. They're both feeling sick: runny nose, general malaise, fever, shortness of breath.

The Mayo Clinic posted:

Symptoms of a common cold usually appear one to three days after exposure to a cold-causing virus. Signs and symptoms, which can vary from person to person, might include:

"Runny or stuffy nose
Sore throat
Cough
Congestion
Slight body aches or a mild headache
Sneezing
Low-grade fever
Generally feeling unwell (malaise)"

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/symptoms-causes/syc-20351605

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

ah i see you skipped right past the CDC's nice infographic

but hey, might be too hosed up to attempt to verify what type of bug someone is infected with especially with that new rapidly contagious funky viral infection spreading around the planet right now. nbd we should save the tests for *checks notes* influenza like illnesses that test negative for the common flu

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Computer Serf posted:

ah i see you skipped right past the CDC's nice infographic

Friend I literally linked to a list of common cold symptoms, there's no need to link another set; mild fever, general malaise, and sneezing are all common cold symptoms

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does this mean climate change has been solved?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The virus rotted his dick off.

He's now Burt Incel.

He wasn't using it anyway, hence why Mrs Sexual was dressing in her finest leopard print gear to hunt virile young men. This is presumably why she doesn't post here.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Apparently Canada is now also planning to evacuate citizens from doomship, but only if they're asymptomatic and will throw in a 14-day quarantine regardless

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

Sunswipe posted:

He wasn't using it anyway, hence why Mrs Sexual was dressing in her finest leopard print gear to hunt virile young men. This is presumably why she doesn't post here.

Excuse me?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Oh poo poo.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Probably the best unexpected development in this entire thread.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

OK so should I avoid contact with pangolins or bats? Which is it?

You should avoid contact with humans, they have it and keep spreading it around

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Shaocaholica posted:

Does this mean climate change has been solved?

The air in Beijing is loving brilliant now, so, maybe?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My FIL has persistent lung...stuff. For well over a decade. Is on oxygen full time. Went to the ER again about a week ago. They moved him into the negative pressure, infectious diseases room at the end of the hall, even after testing him twice, was negative both times. While he was in the ER they would only let one family member back at a time, plus they held him in the ER for 12+ hours before releasing him to the ebola room upstairs. Previously they released him from the ER with the exact same symptoms within 4 hours, and went home. So the norcal medical system is definitely on high alert here. Makes sense given the abnormally high number of asians that move in and out of the state on a daily basis.

Anyways, this cruise ship cambodia thing is pretty interesting; they leave hong kong, one woman (apparently) gets infected, nobody on/off the ship for 13 days straight, then she starts to show symptoms. It's possible someone in Japan/Thailand temporarily entered the ship and infected an 80 year old lady passenger, but seems super unlikely. Makes a pretty strong case that

a) incubation period can definitely last up to 13 days, observed
b) almost certainly proves that virus can be spread long before symptoms emerge

TL;DR we're all gonna die :supaburn:

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Hadlock posted:

b) almost certainly proves that virus can be spread long before symptoms emerge

:crossarms:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Burt hasn't even sprung for an avatar? That guy's a bum.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I think at this point asymptomatic transmission and long incubation times have both been proven as possibilities. The fact that it isn't exploding in the US yet makes me think it might have some sort of feature that makes it worse for Asian genotypes.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
There are now cases with no known source/China contact in Tokyo, Singapore and Taiwan (there was one, died today)

MightySwine
Nov 19, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You really don't want to be breathing high amounts of ozone. You shouldn't be near it when it's running.

I was going to post some highlights but you should probably just go ahead and read this entire link.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/ozone-generators-are-sold-air-cleaners

Or just google 'breathing ozone'.

Good news is that the ozone meter finally arrived today. I am running the generator inside bathroom for 15 minutes, gets it to about 5ppm. Hope it's enough to decontaminate all the outside clothing/groceries.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Had you read that link, you'd see where the healthy limit is 0.05ppm and the occupational safety limit is 0.08ppm per 8 hours. You're going to give yourself worse breathing problems running it at 100x the safe limit.

It's not even safe when you turn it off, because you have to get all the ozone out again, back down to a safe level.

Also, literally bolded halfway through that link:

quote:

If used at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone applied to indoor air does not effectively remove viruses, bacteria, mold, or other biological pollutants.

All you're doing is making your air smell like ozone and damaging your lungs. It's not killing anything at safe concentration and unsafe concentrations form with other poo poo in your air to make toxic compounds. Spend the few extra minutes to comprehend that you've been sold snake oil in electronic air cleaner form.

Best advice is to sell that snake oil machine to another idiot and spend the money on disinfectants.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 16, 2020

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Instead of using ozone, you should buy a ultraviolet light lamp device instead. That works to kill off viruses and bacteria. Just set it up with a remote so you can just turn it off before going into the apartment.

MightySwine
Nov 19, 2013
5 ppm does exceed public health standards. The best numbers I can find are from this paper. They killed 90-99% airborne viruses with similar concentration.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02786820600796590

Luckyellow posted:

Instead of using ozone, you should buy a ultraviolet light lamp device instead. That works to kill off viruses and bacteria. Just set it up with a remote so you can just turn it off before going into the apartment.

I'm concerned that UV only gets clothing from one angle and doesn't penetrate into the fibres/folds.

However, UV of right wavelength is very effective at destroying ozone. What if I put a UV lamp outside of my "ozone room" door to stand guard?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Itt goons attempt to build an improvised BSL 4 in their bathroom

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MightySwine posted:

5 ppm does exceed public health standards. The best numbers I can find are from this paper. They killed 90-99% airborne viruses with similar concentration.

Cool cool, follow your manual from a non-government body that isn't focused on health (wrong here, it's health focused but non-governmental) and is dated 2006. Not like we haven't learned anything new in the past 14 years about ozone.

E: know what? Keep running it. Y'all got a hole that needs filling anyhow.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 16, 2020

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Poisoning myself with ozone to own the virus

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gotta balance out those illicit CFCs some how.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Looks like someone got ozowned.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

just weld your own door shut, from the inside. problem solved.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
breathing in ozone also like, halts your body's immune response on top of damaging the epithelial layer in your lungs, which would normally act as a barrier to the deeper lung tissue and helps clear out mucus and other secretions. Triple whammy. It's a good way to make yourself more susceptible to illness.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's not like aerosol is the only concern for transmission either. Most cases are still going to be transported by touching random poo poo someone sick touched, then scratching your face or picking your nose without washing hands in between.

The problem with that T&F link is that the paper is based in a sanitized laboratory environment. I have my doubts mightyswines' apartment has similar regulation of air temperature, relative humidity, containment and all that jazz. That paper is written for ideal situations, not some 20 year old apartment block in the middle of a city.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look at all these people thinking they're too good for ozone!

If it's good enough for the -entirely awesome, and all around cool cat- ozone layer it should be good enough for you, you judgy bastards! :colbert:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

this goon spent thousands of dollars trying to sanitize his apartment; china solved it with a surplus arc welder

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Those ozone machines are like $100-300 now for 1500-2000 sq ft of space.

I'd still like to know what the flow rate is on his industrial machine that he's running in his bathroom.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sufficiently high temperature purges all germs. Turn your house into an autoclave!

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Sufficiently high temperature purges all germs. Turn your house into an autoclave!

Set yourself on fire and have no virus worries for the rest of your life!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Greblin posted:

Set yourself on fire and have no virus worries for the rest of your life!

:hmmyes:

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Don't smoke, eat healthy and exercise, agitate for workers rights in your country so sick people can rest at home, agitate for science based policies and mandatory vaccinations, and accept that you will never fully sanitize your environment. The only real defense at the end of the day is your immune system. Keep it healthy.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MightySwine posted:

I'm concerned that UV only gets clothing from one angle and doesn't penetrate into the fibres/folds.

However, UV of right wavelength is very effective at destroying ozone. What if I put a UV lamp outside of my "ozone room" door to stand guard?

lol guys this machine that generates a gas that kills everything it touches is totally fine. dunno what you all are getting worked up about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Can't die from no coronavirus if something else kills you first!