Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

I had someone tell me yesterday that the bus is great because the yoke doesn’t get in the way of your cheesecake.

There's a lot to be said for being able to lean back and cross your legs after you get done eating your lunch off of a tray - like a gentleman. Sidesticks for life.

Saaah-nype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
After accidentally turning off a pack with the back of my head wile trying to extricate myself from the 737 cockpit yesterday I am more ready than ever to join you all in the 'bus club.

Only 9 more months to go...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ausgezeichnet posted:

There's a lot to be said for being able to lean back and cross your legs after you get done eating your lunch off of a tray - like a gentleman. Sidesticks for life.

Stoked.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

My issue is less with the students learning these skills, because like 90% of them are absolutely great, considerate and hard-working, it's more about some of the other instructors acting like little bitches.

Two of them yesterday snuck out the back door so our rampie didn't seem them leave before the hangar stack. The gently caress is that poo poo?

Also, as I'm bitching about my job and my co-workers, I will give this advice to aspiring instructors: avoid working weekends like you'd avoid an Ebola-infected bat. If you're the guy that works on weekends, you're the guy that flies with people who can only fly on weekends, and they progress slow as gently caress because one or two bad weather systems/student hangovers and you're completely hosed. I've got 500-600 instructional h ours and 4 total flight test recommends (of which two were successful: my best and my worst student, because God enjoys a good joke from time to time). Boy did I gently caress up by trying to be helpful and accommodating.

EDIT: Or do fly weekends, gently caress if I know at this point. My best students are weekends-only working folks or (and I didn't see this coming) high school students, and my worst students are most unfortunately available at almost any time, so gently caress me if I know what I or anyone else should do. I'm at a perilous low with regards to professional satisfaction at the moment.

I hated flying, especially time building, on weekends, because it seemed the pattern was clogged with more potential idiots who don't know how to work a traffic pattern and or CTAF, thus increasing the chances someone would bounce off you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I discussed the scheduling issues with the person who’s in charge of that sort of thing and it turns out a significant issue with the weekend scheduling is that, since I only work 4 days a week due to having another job as well, and the fact that my weekends are overfilled as is, they can’t find anyone who only wants to fly on two weekdays. Which, frankly, is quite understandable. Hopefully after I get the current crop licensed, I can re-evaluate my schedule and figure out who to take on.

Apparently there are a bunch of people wanting instrument ratings, so hopefully I get to do some of that.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

I hated flying, especially time building, on weekends, because it seemed the pattern was clogged with more potential idiots who don't know how to work a traffic pattern and or CTAF, thus increasing the chances someone would bounce off you.

It was only since I've started instructing that I really noticed this, but whoof. Saturday mornings at our airport are a shitshow sometimes. Plenty of negative examples of radio work, pattern and ground behavior for students though ("see what that guy just did? never do that."), and great for practicing getting in and being efficient on a congested frequency. I was getting pretty good at predicting who was gonna be calling ground for progressive taxi to the cafe, too. It definitely gave me a better appreciation of our controllers for sure.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Weekends are also hazardous on the 121 side, at least for the regionals.

On weekends, RDM is pretty much a mid-air waiting to happen, since it's got a ton of foreign pilot training, a lot of airline traffic, and in the summer, it's also a base for firefighting airplanes. To make matters worse, a lot of the training traffic passes right over a nearby VOR (which is just outside the controlled airspace, and the tower doesn't have radar), which also happens to sit very close to the track of an RNAV approach that gets a fair bit of use by airlines.

Thankfully, everyone involved has realized there's a huge safety hazard waiting to bite someone, so there's been some dedicated practice areas established that should keep the 121 traffic and the training traffic a reasonable distance from each other near the airport.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

azflyboy posted:

Weekends are also hazardous on the 121 side, at least for the regionals.

On weekends, RDM is pretty much a mid-air waiting to happen, since it's got a ton of foreign pilot training, a lot of airline traffic, and in the summer, it's also a base for firefighting airplanes. To make matters worse, a lot of the training traffic passes right over a nearby VOR (which is just outside the controlled airspace, and the tower doesn't have radar), which also happens to sit very close to the track of an RNAV approach that gets a fair bit of use by airlines.

Thankfully, everyone involved has realized there's a huge safety hazard waiting to bite someone, so there's been some dedicated practice areas established that should keep the 121 traffic and the training traffic a reasonable distance from each other near the airport.

I used to work the RDM area at Seattle Center, it was a disaster on clear days. We had a briefing that said almost half of the TCAS RAs in the whole center came from that sector alone. The amount of 1200 codes we weren’t talking to could get so bunched on the scope it could be almost impossible to accurately call traffic and help you guys avoid it. There could be so many targets maneuvering on the approach paths into 5 that you’re guaranteed to get close to somebody unless we just held you out or something. I don’t miss working that at all, but of course I got put in an area at Ft Worth Center that has a VFR nightmare sector of it’s own :mad:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Just had a student pass his Comm recheck and another pass his Instrument this week! :toot:

As a reward I am now saddled with the only 2 students with active Training Improvement Plans (though I will likely pass the multi guy to another instructor). :saddowns:

And goongrats all around!

Loucks
May 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I’m finally getting off my rear end and looking at flight schools in my area. The one that seems most appealing claims on their Ground School page that it’s possible just to study the Gleim book and cover a few things one on one with one’s instructor. Is that reasonable? I’m hopelessly new and have no idea. I feel like I’ll be unqualified to judge a flight school until I’ve sunk a bunch of money into it, but I really want to get my PPL so that’s a risk I might as well just take.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Loucks posted:

The one that seems most appealing claims on their Ground School page that it’s possible just to study the Gleim book and cover a few things one on one with one’s instructor. Is that reasonable?

http://flighttrainingcenters.com posted:

Ground school teaches you aviation fundamentals, and prepares you for the FAA written test. Student pilots training for the Private rating have three ground school options. You will still need to spend time on the ground with your CFI covering more advanced subjects.

The FAA written exam is a joke. They publish the question and answer bank which is probably what's in the Gleim book. By the time you take the test you'll have enough knowledge to answer most of the questions in a few seconds and you can easily memorize enough of the other answers that you'll have no problem passing. The real "knowledge" exam is the oral portion of your checkride which you instructor will spend many hours preparing you for.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I got a lot of value out of sportys online ground school. Still need to watch the last 10 videos to get the endorsement for the test (though I guess my actual IRL instructor would probably sign me off in a second).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

The FAA written exam is a joke. They publish the question and answer bank which is probably what's in the Gleim book. By the time you take the test you'll have enough knowledge to answer most of the questions in a few seconds and you can easily memorize enough of the other answers that you'll have no problem passing. The real "knowledge" exam is the oral portion of your checkride which you instructor will spend many hours preparing you for.

Yep Gleim for private, Shepard Air for everything else

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Is the Kings school curriculum still used? After watching the videos for hours a day for months I once had a sex dream involving Martha King. Very disturbing.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Rolo posted:

I had someone tell me yesterday that the bus is great because the yoke doesn’t get in the way of your cheesecake.

I've been using a similar saying but making it a bit more French. "The lack of a yoke ensures flying doesn't get in the way of eating your Creme Brulee".

PT6A posted:

Congratulations, that’s loving awesome! I’m sure they took a look at the MU-2 time in your logbook, double-checked to make sure you’re not dead, and reached the conclusion this guy knows what he’s doing

That's basically the North American aviation training system in a nutshell, no? The Europeans/Asians put you through the wringer in the classroom and stick you on a narrowbody. In NA? "Oh poo poo, youve survived 250hrs? Here's a CPL" ... "Oh poo poo, youve survived 1,500hrs? Here's an RJ" .... "Oh poo poo, youve survived (mystery number)hrs? Heres a mainliner"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Desi posted:

That's basically the North American aviation training system in a nutshell, no? The Europeans/Asians put you through the wringer in the classroom and stick you on a narrowbody. In NA? "Oh poo poo, youve survived 250hrs? Here's a CPL" ... "Oh poo poo, youve survived 1,500hrs? Here's an RJ" .... "Oh poo poo, youve survived (mystery number)hrs? Heres a mainliner"

In a sense, I suppose, but I've seen people skip certain steps by a combination of skill and dumb luck. My instructor hopped from instructing in pistons to the right seat of a Lear with under 1000 hours because, when he went in for his sim eval after applying for a position on a Dash 8, the guy watching the sim session was the chief pilot for the Lear fleet at that operator and he really liked his performance.

It's all a gamble. Qualifications don't mean poo poo -- I've seen solid pilots fail or partial a flight test, and poo poo pilots pass one -- and hours only vaguely correlate with ability, what are you going to do as an employer except use heuristics to try and make the safest choice?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Loucks posted:

I’m finally getting off my rear end and looking at flight schools in my area. The one that seems most appealing claims on their Ground School page that it’s possible just to study the Gleim book and cover a few things one on one with one’s instructor. Is that reasonable? I’m hopelessly new and have no idea. I feel like I’ll be unqualified to judge a flight school until I’ve sunk a bunch of money into it, but I really want to get my PPL so that’s a risk I might as well just take.

As others said, the FAA knowledge test is not the major hurdle, but having the ground knowledge for the oral portion of the practical test is. For some people, self study with a textbook and reviewing with an instructor is perfectly adequate. I did my instrument rating and commercial certificate that way. Other people learn better from an online or in person/classroom ground school - sometimes a more formal structure and time commitment can help.

My flight school does ground one on one- I assign sections of a pilot text book and we review it together after. Most students take the knowledge test towards the end of training, and then we spend a few hours of review leading up to the checkride. Works well for most students as long as they are willing to put in the time to study, and it’s certainly cheaper than having me present everything from scratch.

Also note that the Gleim knowledge test prep book is basically just a rough outline and then sample test questions on each subject area- Gleim has a separate “Pilot Handbook” that is more of a real text book.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 15, 2020

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Animal posted:

Is the Kings school curriculum still used? After watching the videos for hours a day for months I once had a sex dream involving Martha King. Very disturbing.

As someone currently doing the kings school: :stonk:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I’ll vouch for Sporty’s as well. At the very least they’ve got a real good delivery platform

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Animal posted:

ATP still uses it a lot. I think the King Instrument course is absolutely top notch despite a very heavy Martha bias.

For a fun time go read about the time John and Martha were arrested after landing and the comedy of error involved.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

"By the time we reached the runway we were so exhausted that when, just before touchdown, we saw the wrong number painted on it, we landed on it anyway."

"as VFR-only pilots we climbed through a hole in a forming cloud layer, which resulted in getting trapped on top over an area of low ceilings and visibilities. We absolutely terrified the Flight Service Station operator when we called to find the nearest hole so we could get down and land."

"as we were preparing our Comanche for a night flight over the mountains to California in a snowstorm with snowflakes the size of dimes, a pilot kept questioning us about why we didn’t wait until morning."

"We had, after a generator failure, elected to continue flying on top of an overcast. When we arrived at our destination, we had a completely discharged battery. In our first emergency descent through the icy clouds we never saw the ground, and climbed back to 10,000 feet to get on top again. Back on top, after an anxious discussion about alternatives we decided our only option was another trip back down through the ice. Just seconds after seeing the ground in the dusk, we landed in a cornfield. The unsecured luggage and tool kit behind us came forward, sprayed Martha’s blood all over the cabin, and pinned us against the panel. This earned Martha a trip to the emergency room."

-John and Martha King

Animal posted:

I once had a sex dream involving Martha King.

:stare:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Animal posted:

:stonk: :allbuttons:

Protip: don't read this post while brushing your teeth.

New thread Title, by the way.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 15, 2020

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Animal posted:

I once had a sex dream involving Martha King. Very disturbing.

I also had a Martha King sex dream, but I liked it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

KodiakRS posted:

"By the time we reached the runway we were so exhausted that when, just before touchdown, we saw the wrong number painted on it, we landed on it anyway."

"as VFR-only pilots we climbed through a hole in a forming cloud layer, which resulted in getting trapped on top over an area of low ceilings and visibilities. We absolutely terrified the Flight Service Station operator when we called to find the nearest hole so we could get down and land."

"as we were preparing our Comanche for a night flight over the mountains to California in a snowstorm with snowflakes the size of dimes, a pilot kept questioning us about why we didn’t wait until morning."

"We had, after a generator failure, elected to continue flying on top of an overcast. When we arrived at our destination, we had a completely discharged battery. In our first emergency descent through the icy clouds we never saw the ground, and climbed back to 10,000 feet to get on top again. Back on top, after an anxious discussion about alternatives we decided our only option was another trip back down through the ice. Just seconds after seeing the ground in the dusk, we landed in a cornfield. The unsecured luggage and tool kit behind us came forward, sprayed Martha’s blood all over the cabin, and pinned us against the panel. This earned Martha a trip to the emergency room."

-John and Martha King

:stare:

You think you’re better than them or something?

They grew up in a wildly different time. Their decisions reflect heavily as a product of their times and their own flight instructors.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

vessbot posted:

CBJSprague24 posted:

:stonk: :allbuttons:

Protip: don't read this post while brushing your teeth.

New thread Title, by the way.

Yep.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Well this thread has definitely taken a turn. :catstare:

A skidding steep turn onto final...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vessbot posted:

Yeah this is deffo thread title material

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

MrChips posted:

Well this thread has definitely taken a turn. :catstare:

A skidding steep turn onto final...

The thread is one of my students?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Anybody can fantasize about Hollywood starlets, but it takes a real man to handle this. Who would YOU trust to dead stick the next Airbus into a river?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Tom Hanks?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Someone at a neighbouring flight school managed to hit two cars in our parking lot today. And, like, really loving whacked them, and did the front end of her car in, not just a slight fender bender.

What the actual gently caress. I'm scared now.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PT6A posted:

Someone at a neighbouring flight school managed to hit two cars in our parking lot today. And, like, really loving whacked them, and did the front end of her car in, not just a slight fender bender.

What the actual gently caress. I'm scared now.

Im pretty sure I'm gonna run off the road leaving the airport sometime. There's this one weird curve in the road, and almost every time after flying I nearly gently caress it up until I remember a car doesn't drive like an airplane, midway through the curve.

Maybe they just tried to steer with the pedals!

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Just like the hack joke I stole for my nervous students - what's the most dangerous part of your flight today? The drive to the airport :haw:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Reztes posted:

Just like the hack joke I stole for my nervous students - what's the most dangerous part of your flight today? The drive to the airport :haw:

I've made that statement completely earnestly on a number of occasions. The 101 highway down the SF peninsula is like something out of Mad Max.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I had a student try to run a red light from a dead stop in downtown New Orleans in a courtesy car with me. Turns out his driving wasn’t worse than his flying either as we had multiple hilarious happenings on the next flight: the best being, when directed to “circle north for right base 15” called the runway in sight and then turned to a heading of 360, tracked outbound, announced he couldn’t see the field anymore, and asked me “what do I do now?”

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Reztes posted:

GA is like 150x (not 600!) as dangerous as a commercial flight lol (where that aphorism holds true)

Though arguably most the danger in GA is from PIC being a dumbass at some critical juncture or 10.

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 17, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The stats I looked up after the Kobe crash was something like fixed wing GA was slightly more dangerous than riding a motorcycle, rotary wing GA was 4 times more dangerous than a motorcycle.

I was pretty surprised actually.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Certainly can't vouch for the veracity, but this is what I was (mis)referencing https://chessintheair.com/the-risk-of-dying-doing-what-we-love/

Basically: base jumping is really stupid.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Driving is way more dangerous than GA if you reason about it, because regardless of accident rates, it’s far easier to mitigate risk when flying compared with driving. You can easily avoid flying VFR into IMC, you can’t avoid being t-boned by a drunk driver who runs a red light at just the wrong time. You’re operating in much closer proximity with everyone else when you’re driving compared with flying, more things are entirely out of your control and mistakes can happen much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
And doesn’t truly paying attention to fuel cut the GA accident rate by like half?