Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Just to say I got the nightcore nu25 due to a recommendation here and it's rad as hell. Tiny and very easy to use. I've had lights turn on in my bike bags before but you can lock this one by pressing both buttons at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Anyone got a pick for a nice pillow? I've used my dry bag with a sweater on the outside for the last couple trips but it's too crinkly and the shape is bad. I don't usually have enough clothing for good loft.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I love my Sea to summit Aeros pillow. My wife loves hers too. They weigh next to nothing and take up very little space. I like how you can adjust the firmness by letting out a little air.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I had an Aeros knockoff which was fine but was too small and not soft enough for my liking. I switched to the Aeros Premium Deluxe which is wider and has a quilted top I really liked. I just bought a new bag that has a pillow pocket so I switched to the Nemo Fillo pillow which is super comfy but a little heavier and not as packable (it has a foam topper).

My local REI used to have a bunch out on display but they recently remodeled and removed it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Thermarest pillow made up of castoffs from their mats continues to be the best pillow I have ever owned. Don't ever buy it, it sucks balls.

edit: I realize this makes me sound a bit schizophrenic. I promise you both sides are completely valid.

The pillow is a great pillow. I love the memory foam, and it is wonderfully squishy and works for both back and side sleeping, and shows no sign of going flat even after.... seven years now, I think? Of regular use.

But it sucks rear end as a travel pillow, because once you *do* crush it down and roll it up into a sushi roll, and then pack it into your bag, it takes so. Goddamn. Long. To. Regain. It's. Shape. You'll set up camp, go to sleep, and wake up in the morning, and then, maybe, by that point, it'll have fully reinflated itself into being usable.

So yeah. Best pillow I've ever owned, it sucks balls, don't buy it.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 5, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I have this Durchware Argon Pillow that I really quite like. Weighs nothing and is extremely soft and fluffy. Left it on a plane while coming back from the Grand Canyon, so I bought a kit to sew up another one.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I got this cocoon pillow and I enjoy it (side sleeper) because it fits into the hood of my sleeping bag. It has two different fabrics so you can have a smooth or soft and it packs really small, about the size of a clementine.

https://www.rei.com/product/142507 Cocoon Sleeping Bag Hood Pillow #REIapp

Verman fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 6, 2020

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I bought a Nemo Fillo on the advice of Outdoor Gear Lab and really liked it on my last backpacking trip. It a bit heavier and bulkier than most, but it’s pretty damned comfortable.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

-Anders posted:

I love my Sea to summit Aeros pillow. My wife loves hers too. They weigh next to nothing and take up very little space. I like how you can adjust the firmness by letting out a little air.

:hmmyes:

I just bought one a few months ago for.... I don't know what reasons. I'm preparing for Spring I guess. I lost my other pillow and did a bunch of research and landed on the Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Pillow.

It is a tiny bit crinkly but doesn't bother me at all. I have a bunch of sleep disorders including (doctor's words) I "sleep violently," and my last time camping I got almost no sleep one night. My Thermarest got a hole in it and I couldn't sleep on the hard ground. I ended up sleeping a few hours in my car the next day but I felt terrible. I tested this pillow in my house one night and it was excellent. I tried it on the floor once with my new pad and bag and that didn't work out as well but in my bed it was great. I have to try on the floor again though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sure sounds like you might be better served with a hammock, duder.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
E: wrong thread

Spikes32 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 16, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sure sounds like you might be better served with a hammock, duder.

If he's a side sleeper then I don't see how that'd work.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I'm a side-sleeper, and I have the best nights when I sleep in a hammock. :iiam:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I’m a side stomach sleeper and the best nights sleep I get is in a hammock. Could be because I’m outdoors, but the way the fabric cradles you so there’s no pressure points is magical

E: that being said I just bought the inflatable sleeping pad that was recently posted in here, so there’s no right answer, you do you, getting outside is what’s important :)

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 17, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Pennywise the Frown posted:

If he's a side sleeper then I don't see how that'd work.

Sorry, didn't see where you'd mentioned you're a side sleeper. I won't speak to side/stomach sleeping in a hammock, since those other two goons can probably share their experiences, but on the topic of CPAP machines, GoalZero updated their Sherpa 100 into two models, the AC with an outlet, and the PD that's just USB-C. Based on the old model and some casual googling, you could probably get about 18-20 hours on a single charge, with solar panels to top it off during the day. Retail is $300, but I got mine on sale over the holidays, down to $200. That's if you're concerned about size. They have cut the price on their older Yeti 150 down to $200 retail, and could probably get through a weekend + juicing up your phone off that.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 17, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Re: side sleeping in a hammock, bridge style hammocks allow a flat lay for rolling around:

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/ridgerunner-hammock/

I’ve been tempted to try that one myself, but I sleep so drat well in the blackbird xlc it’s hard for me to justify the purchase.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I couldn't imagine sleeping in a hammock. I mean, how does it not bend your body in the wrong direction besides on your back? I just can't picture how that'd be comfortable.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sorry, didn't see where you'd mentioned you're a side sleeper. I won't speak to side/stomach sleeping in a hammock, since those other two goons can probably share their experiences, but on the topic of CPAP machines, GoalZero updated their Sherpa 100 into two models, the AC with an outlet, and the PD that's just USB-C. Based on the old model and some casual googling, you could probably get about 18-20 hours on a single charge, with solar panels to top it off during the day. Retail is $300, but I got mine on sale over the holidays, down to $200. That's if you're concerned about size. They have cut the price on their older Yeti 150 down to $200 retail, and could probably get through a weekend + juicing up your phone off that.

I should really look into some sort of way to get my CPAP working.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

An asymmetrical hammock has a flat bottom somehow through geometry magic

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I couldn't imagine sleeping in a hammock. I mean, how does it not bend your body in the wrong direction besides on your back? I just can't picture how that'd be comfortable.
If you lay diagonally it magically becomes flat. If you still get a little bit of hyper extension, crossing one ankle over the other usually helps.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It'd never work for me because I move around a LOT in my sleep. I can't just pick a position and wake up like that. Although it would be neat to actually successfully use one once.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

It'd never work for me because I move around a LOT in my sleep. I can't just pick a position and wake up like that. Although it would be neat to actually successfully use one once.

That’s why I prefer hammocks— I tend to adjust, roll over , freely move limbs around to get comfy. With quilts, you have that freedom to wriggle around and adjust to your liking—it’s much more like a regular bed. With ground mats and mummy bags I just tend to fight the bag’s constriction and roll off the mat.

Not saying one is better, just what I like and why it works for me :)

Also to reiterate above, asym hammocks you do lay very flat, and ones like the Warbonnet Blackbird even have an extra swath of fabric for a footshelf that is amazing. There’s also Bridge style hammocks that lay completely flat too, like this:

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/ridgerunner-hammock/

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Do you have an example of one lying flat? My brain can just not comprehend the physics of something where all of the weight is in the middle of it and now bowing. If you have a tight string, as tight as it can possibly get, and you put a very very light weight in the middle, it will bow. Even steel wire will. For it to lay flat, not sort of flat, but flat, I'd have to put a piece of plywood in it.

I just bought this Nemo Equipment Disco 15 Sleeping Bag and it's great. It's "spoon" shaped to provide more room for your legs to move around. I just can't do mummy bags. It doesn't physically work for me. With my old one I had to keep it unzipped all the way in order to move. I sleep with one leg out to the side. My knee almost at a 90 degree angle from my body and I sleep on my stomach a lot. Even in this one I have it zipped down a bit but it covers more of me and if it were really cold I'd probably be able to tolerate it.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 19, 2020

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Do you have an example of one lying flat? My brain can just not comprehend the physics of something where all of the weight is in the middle of it and now bowing. If you have a tight string, as tight as it can possibly get, and you put a very very light weight in the middle, it will bow. Even steel wire will. For it to lay flat, not sort of flat, but flat, I'd have to put a piece of plywood in it.

REI offers this guy. I'd like to hear more from someone who has an asym model myself. I'm in need of a solo tent and thinking of getting one of these.

GIS brings up this graphic which shows a diagonal to the line of the hammock.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just bought this Nemo Equipment Disco 15 Sleeping Bag and it's great. It's "spoon" shaped to provide more room for your legs to move around. I just can't do mummy bags. It doesn't physically work for me. With my old one I had to keep it unzipped all the way in order to move. I sleep with one leg out to the side. My knee almost at a 90 degree angle from my body and I sleep on my stomach a lot. Even in this one I have it zipped down a bit but it covers more of me and if it were really cold I'd probably be able to tolerate it.

I just bought this bag over Christmas as well. Haven't had a chance to use it but I've struggled with mummy bags for a long time. Hoping it's warm enough.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yooper posted:

REI offers this guy. I'd like to hear more from someone who has an asym model myself. I'm in need of a solo tent and thinking of getting one of these.

GIS brings up this graphic which shows a diagonal to the line of the hammock.

That first one looks really cool. If I were to get a hammock it'd probably be something like that.

FCKGW posted:

I just bought this bag over Christmas as well. Haven't had a chance to use it but I've struggled with mummy bags for a long time. Hoping it's warm enough.

It says it goes down to 30F but I heard you should add 10 degrees to any bag. I doubt I'd do well if it's too cold but maybe the 50s would work.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

Basically the idea is that if you lay completely in line with the ends of the hammock, you will not be flat at all because your body will sag in the middle exactly as you’re imagining it would. The trick with gathered-end hammocks is to have one both long enough (10-11ft typically) and wide enough (usually labelled as a “double” hammock) so that you can lay diagonally which sort of tensions the sides near each end and creates a flatter portion of fabric beneath your body. The more on the diagonal you can position yourself, the flatter you’ll be. There are even 90-degree hammocks like the Amok Draumr where you are completely perpendicular to the suspended ends and are TRULY laying flat.

There are a bunch of other factors that will impact how easily you can achieve that “flat” lay, like having a structural ridgeline, distance between trees/hang points, angle of the suspension etc. For instance I have a Warbonnet El Dorado, and one of the tricks with WB hammocks is to hang the leg-side suspension just a bit higher and lay closer to the head-side of the hammock. It’s not the most intuitive thing and it’s difficult to explain in words, but after a few tries it sort of just “clicks”.

Basically anything you could possibly want to know about hammocks is covered by shugemery on youtube, he’s a bit of a goof but his videos cover a whole swath of hammock topics and are very informative.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
You’re welcome! I could go on so if you have any other questions, shoot and I bet I or someone else could answer them. Tents are great and will always have their place but hammocks completely changed my perspective on camping.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Ledhed posted:

You’re welcome! I could go on so if you have any other questions, shoot and I bet I or someone else could answer them. Tents are great and will always have their place but hammocks completely changed my perspective on camping.

Shug is so awesome, I haven’t watched his channel in years... thanks for the reminder to queue up a few of his videos! I wish I had a full recording of the cover he did for give the captain my hammer on one of his videos.

Hammocks are just so nice because you’re not down in the muck on the ground, and you can just hang your pack off the tree too. Plus you can pitch the rainfly quick and easy, and set up/tear down under cover if it’s wet out. This really helps tearing down in the rain, which is just hands down the most demoralizing thing while backpacking

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'd love to make a hammock work but only 2/7 of the campsites I've had in the last year could accommodate a hammock. One of those two it was so stormy we were hearing the violent cracking of thick tree limbs all night, so setting up under a tree would have been foolish.

In other news I've only camped 7 nights in the last year :(

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It's hard if you go up into high Alpine where trees are small and seldom. I used to carry one for relaxing in camp but they don't work for me as a permanent solution.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'd love to make a hammock work but only 2/7 of the campsites I've had in the last year could accommodate a hammock.
This is why I use a double layer hammock with a pad instead of an underquilt.

An underquilt is nice, but I like being prepared to sleep on the ground.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

In other news I've only camped 7 nights in the last year :(

Same, and I definitely feel it.

But! I’m finally back on a normal work schedule and am back to planning and posting trips with my group, which means I’m back on track to get out overnight at least once or twice a month this year! We’ve got some great spots lined up too, including a few places I’ve never been and old favorites I missed out on last year like Grayson Highlands.

That’s been my key to getting out more, finding a good group of people interested in doing cool poo poo outdoors :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You aren't worried about bugs when using a hammock? I'm always afraid of getting something crawling over me when I sleep.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But the alternative is a legion of annoying buzzing poo poo barging through the door every time you enter/exit the tent and getting trapped with you in a closed space.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
You can get hammocks with built-in bug netting.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Bugs aren't a huge problem in my area, so I was in for a big surprise when traveling to a land of mosquitos.

Before getting a bugnet sock, my emergency measure was to keep one of these lit under my tarp:

I still prefer it over slathering bug repellent all over myself when hanging around camp. But it probably wasn't healthy to have that burning in an enclosed tarp.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006

-Anders posted:

You can get hammocks with built-in bug netting.

This. Many manufacturers make completely removable bugnets, or in the winter you can swap in a winter topcover that turns the hammock into an almost complete enclosure to help retain warmth.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

This is kind of an oddball req, but any suggestions for how to fix a zipper where both ends are sewn? No access to either side? I've watched a dozen videos and just mangled a bunch of sliders. I can't get it to track more than once before it jumps again.

Trying to fix a work pack from a motel. My tools are limited to a Leatherman and small hand tools. Part of the problem is the lid design has a hard 90 degree turn (more of a "box" design Rather than a U closure).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Do you guys carry a rain cover for your pack? I'm in New Mexico, not the Olympic Peninsula, but it does rain--in the summer, we'll often get an afternoon shower every couple days. Is it something you only bother with when you expect a full day of rain, or do you always bring it?