Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

God drat Lalah interfering with destiny again! Truly the real villain of the UC era :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Need to go into this place sometime

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Super Waffle posted:

Zakurice? :downsrim:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Zodack posted:

Someone with more experience could likely explain it better than I can, but my understanding is that Mandarake is a series of second-hand storefronts all across Japan for a variety of Otaku goods and other things, including Gunpla. It has an English portal that is pretty functional but sometimes can be tricky if you're searching for a particular thing.

As far as I'm aware everything they sell was sold to them and usually has some kind of damage. Or maybe not? I've bought things that were marked as "package heavily damaged" and it was damaged conservatively even by my standards - and it's not like that affects the runners. They have a variety of storefronts and buying online will show you stock from one, several, or all of the storefronts at once. Orders are shipped individually from storefronts across Japan at your usual rates you'd expect from another overseas retailer. There's something in the back of my mind about orders under 2000 yen or something like that having an extra fee, but I'm not sure. If you put multiple things in your cart from different storefronts, you have to pay for them and ship them separately since they aren't in the same location.

I've ordered from them several times and it was usually Gundam AGE kits before they announced the reprint, and I believe those are 10 years old or so. Their customer service consists basically of what you'd expect from that kind of retailer: you place an order, get an invoice, pay it and select your shipping and then never hear from them again until a package shows up at your door 3-5 weeks later (or however you ship, I go SAL Small Packet if I can).

Others may have different stories but my experience with them has been 100% positive, and others at my local hobby shop use them to root around for older things and things that may be out of stock everywhere. You can even put alerts on your account for things so it emails you when they're back in stock.

If what you're looking for is more obscure you may have to get creative with their search bar, or look up the japanese name of what you're looking for. I've not had that experience a lot with gunpla since they give you some helpful autocomplete options when searching, but I've heard stories of trying to find other things that way.
Awesome, thanks mate. I'll have a browse this evening whilst working on my current stuff. :)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I just spent god only knows how long trying to get the LEDs on this thing working and I swear I'm about to yeet it into the sun and make Quatre go get it. The electrical bits look like they should be easy. It's basically a couple of old straw hat LEDs, some wire, a few screws, and some springy bits. Pop the LEDs in, screw the wires and springs into place, connect the switch, add batteries. Not difficult, in theory, but in practice it's very fiddly work making sure everything has a solid connection. :sigh:

..and after all that, honestly the best troubleshooting solution was just giving it a firm swat on the back so the batteries and everything would settle into place. :suicide:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

The food at Gundam Cafe is... okay. Unless you order the limited seasonal items. The regular food is really bland and kinda overpriced. Tho it is really cool that everything is Gundam themed and the Gundam store carries some cool goods.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

What are they like in terms of customer service/service quality? I'll bookmark them along with HLJ. Thanks!

I've bought from Mandarake a few times. They run a secondhand shop that has been a great resource for out-of-print stuff - P-Bandai Robot Damashii WaD, Chogokin DX RVF-25, you name it. I've never once had a problem ordering from them.

Bees on Wheat posted:

..and after all that, honestly the best troubleshooting solution was just giving it a firm swat on the back so the batteries and everything would settle into place. :suicide:

Never underestimate the power of percussive maintenance!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Well it finally happened. After years and years of gunpla I finally misplaced a part.

I was working on the ew tallgeese, a labor of love that's taken me years so far (haven't had a lot of time) and on its second leg I lost the polycap for the hip joint (joint to leg, not joint to waist). I didn't see it anywhere around me but I have no idea what I did with it.

The leg still came together and it'll probably be fine for posing, but that thing is going to be real loose.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Bees on Wheat posted:

I just spent god only knows how long trying to get the LEDs on this thing working and I swear I'm about to yeet it into the sun and make Quatre go get it. The electrical bits look like they should be easy. It's basically a couple of old straw hat LEDs, some wire, a few screws, and some springy bits. Pop the LEDs in, screw the wires and springs into place, connect the switch, add batteries. Not difficult, in theory, but in practice it's very fiddly work making sure everything has a solid connection. :sigh:

I didn't even bother putting the LEDs in mine, that kit is enough of a pain in the rear end without dealing with them, and it sounds like I made the right call.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Well it finally happened. After years and years of gunpla I finally misplaced a part.

Tell me your secrets. I seem to misplace a part every 2 months.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

Tell me your secrets. I seem to misplace a part every 2 months.

I build mine on a coffee table rather than at a desk, simply because it makes the potential ping* radius a lot shorter.

*As in *PING* off something flies into gently caress-knows-where.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

ANAmal.net posted:

I didn't even bother putting the LEDs in mine, that kit is enough of a pain in the rear end without dealing with them, and it sounds like I made the right call.

Probably yeah. The LEDs themselves were easy to install, but the drat battery pack is going to give me nightmares.. that and trying to attach its legs. Good god, that second one did NOT want to go on and other parts kept popping off at the same time. For a $150 kit it seems to have all the same issues as a $15 kit, and then some. :sigh:

It looks gorgeous, though. Just have to build its wings and weapons now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I build mine on a coffee table rather than at a desk, simply because it makes the potential ping* radius a lot shorter.

*As in *PING* off something flies into gently caress-knows-where.

My desk is covered in backlog so most of my kits are built in my lap while I watch stupid Youtube videos on my laptop. The other day I dropped a piece and spent a few good minutes looking for it before I found it in the pocket of my housecoat. :shobon:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Droyer posted:

It's Tridigger (with cameo appearances from his mates Tridasher and Trijetter) from Diaclone Reboot.

Thanks!!

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I'm waiting for the rest of the parts for my 30mm build to arrive so I finally put together the RG Red Frame I've had for over a year. And it sure is an RG. Simultaneously too stiff to easily pose and too loose to hold the pose once I get it there.

I haven't panel lined or decaled yet, so I think I'll use to practice water slides and panel lining and then put it someplace I don't ever need to touch it again.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Tank Nacchin verdict: good.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
That is very good! I love the pic in the grass.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

http://schizophonic9.com/re5/mg_fazzverka.html

King chonk is here!

I wasn't that interested when they made the announcement but now seeing the actual product I kinda want it now. That price tag though.. someday perhaps.

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Looks awesome. The pictures make him look more adorable. :allears:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

http://schizophonic9.com/re5/mg_fazzverka.html

King chonk is here!

I wasn't that interested when they made the announcement but now seeing the actual product I kinda want it now. That price tag though.. someday perhaps.

Hell yeah the only reason I was happy for the mg zz ver ka was that they would potentially make a kit for this big boi

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

This is amazing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

grassy gnoll posted:

Very good indeed! :3:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

free him!!!!!!!!!!

quote:

Ah... effervescent...

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
My date for the night. :h: All that's left to do is build the buster rifle, some detailing, and figuring out how the gently caress to pose this thing. He looks like he's being super dramatic in every picture but it's just that he can't stand up straight with those giant fuckoff wings. Those things have to weigh at least as much as the rest of him does, and most poses require carefully balancing it so the tips of the wings are touching the table to give him some support. I found some 1/60 scale stands on AliExpress that seem to be bootlegged from a different PG kit, but they're like $25 and I have no idea if they would even work for this guy.

The joints in the waist/hips/legs all felt really tight until I tried attaching these massive things. Now he acts like his back is broken and he's got a permanent sassy hip because one leg keeps drooping. :rolleyes:

All said, this kit was a total loving pain in the rear end but I'm glad I did it. It's been on my bucket list for about 20 years now, ever since I spotted it at a convention. I'm also kinda glad I waited this long because they're no way teenage me would have had the skills, patience, or tools required to actually finish this goddamn thing.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

For UK dudes, Firestorm Games now has a selection of kits:
https://www.firestormgames.co.uk/model-kits--railway/bandia

tsaofen
May 20, 2009
So like, as someone who has lurked in this thread for years I don't want to do a huge effort post. Buuut...

After spending the last decade or so working myself half to death, getting continually diagnosed with new and exciting genetic abnormalities, and just generally hating life, I decided to just stop being someone else's idea of who I am and just be me.

A huge part of that was allowing myself to build Gunpla again. I have a persistent tremor, so I'm never going to make it to the GBWC (also I cant bring myself to damage my guys) but I'm kind of proud of my work and I feel like sharing.

I started with these guys. Both were really fun builds!

Then I saw this on Amazon and it felt like my love of Castlevania and my love of Gungam hit each other at light speed and...I had to have it. Then I built it while Build Fighters was playing in the background...so I did my best to customize it.

I've kind of gone nuts and don't want to post like a dozen photos...but this one is actually my favorite even though everyone on the internet seems to hate it:

I had to get a courier to go get this for me from some small store in Japan. Took like three months to arrive. I had never been more excited to get a package. I've built the MG Freedom and this was more involved, but totally worth it.

Something about the clean lines and pose-ability just really appealed to me. (Also, if Sei's dad is going to reccomend something I'm going to go with it).

Anyway, sorry that's my post. I'll have two Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers and a Frosty.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsaofen posted:

So like, as someone who has lurked in this thread for years I don't want to do a huge effort post. Buuut...

After spending the last decade or so working myself half to death, getting continually diagnosed with new and exciting genetic abnormalities, and just generally hating life, I decided to just stop being someone else's idea of who I am and just be me.

A huge part of that was allowing myself to build Gunpla again. I have a persistent tremor, so I'm never going to make it to the GBWC (also I cant bring myself to damage my guys) but I'm kind of proud of my work and I feel like sharing.

I started with these guys. Both were really fun builds!

Then I saw this on Amazon and it felt like my love of Castlevania and my love of Gungam hit each other at light speed and...I had to have it. Then I built it while Build Fighters was playing in the background...so I did my best to customize it.

I've kind of gone nuts and don't want to post like a dozen photos...but this one is actually my favorite even though everyone on the internet seems to hate it:

I had to get a courier to go get this for me from some small store in Japan. Took like three months to arrive. I had never been more excited to get a package. I've built the MG Freedom and this was more involved, but totally worth it.

Something about the clean lines and pose-ability just really appealed to me. (Also, if Sei's dad is going to reccomend something I'm going to go with it).

Anyway, sorry that's my post. I'll have two Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers and a Frosty.

Those are all great, don’t worry about how much you write and :justpost:

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I don't know if these are real, but I want them so bad:
https://twitter.com/iyo2014/status/1228697930585923584?s=19

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Orga, don't you get it? The mace is my cock!

Well, that was my valentine's evening. Posing a naked Barbatos.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

finished my third kit, the hguc rx-79 from 08th ms team:

Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 17, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I build models at my desk on some lunch breaks. One of the new hires noticed and mentioned that he had a Gundam kit gathering dust in a closet, and did I want it. I said sure, of course !

Turns out some well-intentioned person had gifted the guy an RG Justice Gundam. That would have been a tall order for a first build ! I gave him twenty bucks for it, because our contractors get paid poo poo. I took it home because I have my 30mm build at work, and now I can't find my drat modelling glasses.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

mllaneza posted:

I build models at my desk on some lunch breaks. One of the new hires noticed and mentioned that he had a Gundam kit gathering dust in a closet, and did I want it. I said sure, of course !

Turns out some well-intentioned person had gifted the guy an RG Justice Gundam. That would have been a tall order for a first build ! I gave him twenty bucks for it, because our contractors get paid poo poo. I took it home because I have my 30mm build at work, and now I can't find my drat modelling glasses.

Nice! I've considered bringing kits to work that I can build at my desk, but yeah an RG would probably be out of the question since there's so many tiny fiddly parts. Maybe an SD kit or a Haro or something would be better, since I have to share space with a couple other people. I've mentioned before that I gifted a friend an RG Freedom a while back because she was in love with mine.. turns out she was a total beginner but she managed fairly well with minimal help from me.. so not impossible for a first-timer, but not the best idea either.

We're planning a group build night at work in a week or so and I'm stoked, but I have no idea how many people will actually be interested or even show up. It might just be me and a couple friends, but I'm hoping we can get the word out and make it a regular thing. :pray:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Finished building my new gunpla bench. Plenty of organizing left to be done but I'm really happy with how it looks.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm bed/couchbound once again and I haven't build a gunpla in over a year due to stress/restlessness.

Made the 1/100 Barbatos Lupus over the last 2 days, simple snapfit, detailing and panel lining but it looks nice. :3: The lower legs are kinda dis-proportionally huge though. :v:
It's making me excited to tackle the rest of my backlog again, have a HG Char's Origin Zaku, RX-78-2 Revive, Reginlaze Julia and MG Nu Ver Ka to go.
I need to fix the hips of my (non Ver Ka) Hi Nu and detail my ancient MG Exia. eying the MG 00Q full saber as next purchase.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's a manga about a woman and a high school girl who become friends because they both love Gundam models

https://twitter.com/m0721804/status/1227169006576001025?s=20

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I just finished building RG Strike Freedom and Nu Gundam back to back. While I'm a little sad to see the Advanced MS Joint system go, it's probably for the best.

Building the Strike Freedom felt a lot like building every other RG of its era. While the result is very pleasing, there were very few surprises during the build. Nu Gundam on the other hand was just as exciting as the first time I built an RG.

Overall it's really good. Nice simple sturdy joints, full inner frame, and it has the same stand mounting position as the MG Ver. Ka (between the back and backpack) which I'd really like to see more often on both MGs and RGs. I don't feel comfortable with that tiny crotch clip! Also looks like they've built hardpoints for the HWS into the base kit so that should be good whenever and wherever it comes out.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Napoleon Nelson posted:

I don't know if these are real, but I want them so bad:
https://twitter.com/iyo2014/status/1228697930585923584?s=19

dang these are slick. would love to see this design aesthetic scaled up to regular zaku proportions. giving me metal gear vibes a little bit

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JoeGlassJAw posted:

dang these are slick. would love to see this design aesthetic scaled up to regular zaku proportions. giving me metal gear vibes a little bit

Have a look at the new Cielnova kit in the 30MM line.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Gripweed posted:

There's a manga about a woman and a high school girl who become friends because they both love Gundam models

https://twitter.com/m0721804/status/1227169006576001025?s=20

This needs a translation yesterday.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bees on Wheat posted:

Nice! I've considered bringing kits to work that I can build at my desk, but yeah an RG would probably be out of the question since there's so many tiny fiddly parts. Maybe an SD kit or a Haro or something would be better, since I have to share space with a couple other people.

I've got a $10 toolkit tucked in a drawer, and I can eat and get a leg or arm done on an HG kit in a reasonable lunch break. I say go for it. Just plan ahead for shelf space for completed models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Some scattered thoughts on this beautiful hobby down below for anyone bored reading this thread.

I'm building the Real Grade Gundam Wing right now. The inner frame, in particular, is fascinating. I'm not used to seeing big pieces of the internal structure molded together. Is familiar with how good the joints hold up over time?

I love this new hobby. It does wonders for me in terms of mindfulness and helping me with feelings of anxiety. I can't help but set goals for myself with pretty much anything I do, and I'm hoping to be able to start airbrushing kits by 2021.