Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Rinkles posted:

man this thread has been a bummer to read the last few days

For some reason I was compelled to just start playing skyrim again after a several year hiatus and now I cant stop, again

Is that more of a bummer or less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You pretty much recoup the cost of the emblems by killing the enemies you used them on so I never saw this as a problem.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Wolfsheim posted:

For some reason I was compelled to just start playing skyrim again after a several year hiatus and now I cant stop, again

I did the same around December, but I caught a nasty flu mid playthrough, leaving a lasting association with the delirious sleepless nights so I never went back

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Rinkles posted:

I did the same around December, but I caught a nasty flu mid playthrough, leaving a lasting association with the delirious sleepless nights so I never went back

We're the children of Skyrim and we'll fightplay it all our lives

When Sovngarde beckons every one of us dies reinstalls

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yes, 2 has more focus on RPG mechanics and a Borderlands/Diablo type loot system. 3 is sort of a Dark Souls clone. Haven't played the isometric one yet but I've heard it's fun.

Got it. I’ll probably fire up 2 tomorrow, see what it’s all about. 1 definitely wasn’t perfect but I liked it, even when I was bitching.

3, assuming I like 2 enough to continue, I’m going to let sit until it’s available at a steep discount. I’m thinking a big part of why I forgave the flaws in 1 is that it was four dollars, as opposed to $60.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I think there's something wrong with my brain. I tried a bit of Witcher 3 and Horizon last night from the beginning and thought "I don't know... I'm not really feeling this" then continued my Death Stranding replay while thinking "Yesss this is the poo poo"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I think there's something wrong with my brain. I tried a bit of Witcher 3 and Horizon last night from the beginning and thought "I don't know... I'm not really feeling this" then continued my Death Stranding replay while thinking "Yesss this is the poo poo"

Sounds like you're finally growing out of your enjoyment of the childish soda of fantasy and YA post apoc stories and into the smooth adult whisky of magical dystopia.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

fridge corn posted:

I love it when ppl in America are like if you don't like it then leave cuz that's exactly what I did

Same, moved to a country with single payer and won't move back to the USA until they have it.

They release the Yakuza games early here but in Japanese or Chinese only,and never release the English version. So I walk by a game store and get sad, because I need to use my US PSN account to buy them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pulcinella posted:

This is Wolf literally using a ninja tool because he is outnumbered and was about to be steamrolled at the end. Also, while these are indeed :krad: gifs, what you don’t see are gifs of all the times you get grabbed by an enemy while literally standing behind them. In short, From collision detection is a land of contrasts.

Ok. You don’t “spam” ninja tools. You just “use them a bunch” when you are outnumbered because the core combat system in the game does not facilitate combat beyond 1v1 (which it does amazingly well).

Sorry I guess I’m just salty because From got the health system right (limited resource that automatically refills at save points) but the emblem system so wrong. You can just run out and have to waste time grinding for more. It puts pressure on the player to conserve them. It definitely colors my view of tools as a “special thing the player has to use wisely and sparingly” rather than core element of the game in a way. Also I think From should have just been nicer to the player and decreased the emblem cost of many of the tools and abilities. The Double Ichimoji ability is one of the best in the game and cost no emblems, and then there are abilities that cost several and aren’t nearly as good.

Sekiro has the best hitboxes of any swordfight game, ever.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

One of my favorite gaming moments of this generation was the morning that two college stoners, myself, and some guy named UnchartedFan were on the same team in Siege and the three of us role played as Nate, Sully, and Sam at him the entire time

Real Goon Griefing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sekiro has the best hitboxes of any swordfight game, ever.

:hai:
https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1113943818519437312

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Wolfsheim posted:

I also just started replaying Skyrim, since I got the special edition free as part of that Gamestop sale from a while back. I played through it once when it first came out but haven't touched it since, and I'm finding it very addictive despite the age/Bethesda jankiness.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

mysterious frankie posted:

Got it. I’ll probably fire up 2 tomorrow, see what it’s all about. 1 definitely wasn’t perfect but I liked it, even when I was bitching.

3, assuming I like 2 enough to continue, I’m going to let sit until it’s available at a steep discount. I’m thinking a big part of why I forgave the flaws in 1 is that it was four dollars, as opposed to $60.
None of them are bad games but 3 is definitely the worst one

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think one of the reasons I am so drawn to Metro is that it has this genuine irreverence to it that I haven't really seen in a game series before. It's trashy in this way that feels totally honest and not some forced "this game is not for kids" kind of way.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

bull3964 posted:

I don't want to actually invest and grow my savings as I'm terrified what could happen if I wasn't liquid.

A vanguard account will net you 8-9% a year and you can liquidate it into your checking account within 5 working days.
Sorry for the derail but mutual funds are good. You don't need to tie savings up in anything.

I have a bad ankle injury that I'm waiting until my next open enrollment to up my contribution by $100/mo before I see a doctor for it because I sprain it getting out bed wrong and I know the exact surgery I need.

The division 2 is fun but NYC at Christmas was such a loving good setting there's no way it can live up to the soul the first one had.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 16, 2020

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

homeless snail posted:

If you ever played Little Big Planet, it's like that but without the baggage of everything having to be built inside of a bad platformer. Not every dream is a game or even interactive though, sometimes they're just paintings or sculptures or songs, because it's also a digital painting and sculpting and music composition tool.

You surf that thing and you have literally no idea what you're gonna find, other than it being a product of someone's creativity

Ok imma have to get this, I don’t get a lot of time on my PS4 and have been playing my switch mobile a lot more but I keep hearing about dreams and I didnt realize it was that open.

Also, I got confused and thought I was in USPOL which I also have bookmarked - radicalized PS4 thread vote. Vote. Vote. I’m a Canadian and holy gently caress do I want you all to get out and vote. I’ll leave it to you for whom (not loving Trump or another poo poo racist misogynistic billionaire plz)

E; ^^ the new expansion coming March 3 for Division 2 is back in New York FYI. I’m going to have to take back my TV from the fam cause it sounds good.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 16, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

RareAcumen posted:

Sounds like you're finally growing out of your enjoyment of the childish soda of fantasy and YA post apoc stories and into the smooth adult whisky of magical dystopia.

Death Stranding is sincerely less mature and thoughtful The Witcher 3.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The more distance I have from it, the more I'm annoyed at all the silly poo poo in Death Stranding. Some creators can do tonal whiplash, like Suda or Taro or SWERY, but in DS it just annoyed me whenever a silly fourth wall break happened

Didn't bother me so much in Metal Gear games because they're 90% goofball

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Play both DLCs post game. They are separate side stories but both contain endgame spoilers

Cool, I'll keep pushing through main game and get the DLC later.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

precision posted:

The more distance I have from it, the more I'm annoyed at all the silly poo poo in Death Stranding. Some creators can do tonal whiplash, like Suda or Taro or SWERY, but in DS it just annoyed me whenever a silly fourth wall break happened

Didn't bother me so much in Metal Gear games because they're 90% goofball

DS felt less..I dunno, earnest about its goofery? When silly stuff happens to or around Gillian Seed, Johnathan Ingram, Big Boss or Solid Snake it's like..they're kinda doofuses at heart anyway and it works because of that, and it really doesn't with Sam.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You can tell Death Stranding is a serious game for adults and definitely not for kids because of all the soda you drink to power up your piss grenades.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

I love how the thread went from people talking about how they were ready to drop 5 hundo on the PS5 to talking about how this hellhole of a country destroys us all and drags people into poverty.

To be fair 500 gets you like a qtip in an emergency health situation out of pocket.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
$500 is the cost of a single x-ray

When I fell off a porch and cut my arm, 32 stitches, was in the hospital for about 90 minutes, they billed me $3000. And that was 14 years ago, would be more like 6 grand now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The least believable thing about video games is the ease and accessibility of Med-Kits and loose cash just lying around.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Senator Drinksalot posted:

None of them are bad games but 3 is definitely the worst one

Yeah, I had a feeling, based on it being described as a Dark Souls-like. Warmastered was a hodgepodge of genres, none done particularly well enough that I’d want a full game from the studio based on any one, and the idea of playing an entire soulsborne game from them is... well, I know you now have the option to turn it off, but even still. That’s a bargain bin sounding idea if I ever heard one.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Very random question for anyone that's played lotr shadows of war. I just picked it up in a sale and had a captain question.

Is there a reason to actively pursue killing the captains? I'm only just starting out but they get replaced after a few turns and idk if I'm supposed to just kill specific ones or if it's pointless trying to kill all of them on the map, etc.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wolfsheim posted:

Please don’t tempt me

Skyrim is my favorite fuckin’ thing in this entire god drat ridiculous universe

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Please don’t tempt me

Skyrim is my favorite fuckin’ thing in this entire god drat ridiculous universe

Oh no i'm so sorry

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Skyrim is 19 years old and plays like it’s 25 years old

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hot take: Skyrim's mostly fine and very occasionally great.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, I had a feeling, based on it being described as a Dark Souls-like. Warmastered was a hodgepodge of genres, none done particularly well enough that I’d want a full game from the studio based on any one, and the idea of playing an entire soulsborne game from them is... well, I know you now have the option to turn it off, but even still. That’s a bargain bin sounding idea if I ever heard one.

Ok, so far Darksiders 2 took the two years time between releases to refine a ton. It feels a lot better to control Death than it did War, in both combat and traversal. Also I'm glad they realized block was broken\less fun than dodging and went all in on dodges for this one. I also like the fiddly level up and item collection... so far. We'll see how I feel about it twenty hours from now, but atm it gives the combat more purpose (it didn't help that in Darksiders 1 all you get from fighting are pitiful amounts of souls, there's not much worth purchasing from Vulgrim and much of what is there would require grinding to purchase, which would mean a lot of mediocre combat that you can skip by pretending there is no shop in the first place).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Skyrim and most other games of the like are deeply stifled by the need to make the player feel Important. Like, okay, maybe I was crucial in winning the civil war, but I'm also the leader of the loving College of Winterhold and the Thieves' Guild and like eight other distinct organizations that were apparently staffed entirely by imbeciles because I'm the only one who knows how to do poo poo in this entire country, jesus christ

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Skyrim helped me cope during a very tough time in my life where I was barely scraping by... so did binge drinking though.

Arist posted:

Skyrim and most other games of the like are deeply stifled by the need to make the player feel Important. Like, okay, maybe I was crucial in winning the civil war, but I'm also the leader of the loving College of Winterhold and the Thieves' Guild and like eight other distinct organizations that were apparently staffed entirely by imbeciles because I'm the only one who knows how to do poo poo in this entire country, jesus christ

That's been Elder Scrolls' MO since forever though and I honestly prefer it to needing multiple playthroughs to experience everything for the sake of realistic scope of individual accomplishment in a game series that, if you include the Kirkbride lore, is about being a console cheat in the dream of a sleeping dev computer.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 16, 2020

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

playing through the dishonored collection this weekend and i forgot how good the first game was. aside from killing the first target i did a nonlethal run this time and it seems alot easier than when i just ran in like rambo on my first playthrough years ago. sneaking up on daud while hes taunting you and choking him out was pretty funny. ive never played the sequels before will i miss anything cool if i skip the dlcs for 1?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ASenileAnimal posted:

playing through the dishonored collection this weekend and i forgot how good the first game was. aside from killing the first target i did a nonlethal run this time and it seems alot easier than when i just ran in like rambo on my first playthrough years ago. sneaking up on daud while hes taunting you and choking him out was pretty funny. ive never played the sequels before will i miss anything cool if i skip the dlcs for 1?

I hear the Daud DLC is really good, apparently?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

I hear the Daud DLC is really good, apparently?

It's true.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm not sure that's a hot take

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

precision posted:

I'm not sure that's a hot take

a very reasonable take

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Ok, so far Darksiders 2 took the two years time between releases to refine a ton. It feels a lot better to control Death than it did War, in both combat and traversal. Also I'm glad they realized block was broken\less fun than dodging and went all in on dodges for this one. I also like the fiddly level up and item collection... so far. We'll see how I feel about it twenty hours from now, but atm it gives the combat more purpose (it didn't help that in Darksiders 1 all you get from fighting are pitiful amounts of souls, there's not much worth purchasing from Vulgrim and much of what is there would require grinding to purchase, which would mean a lot of mediocre combat that you can skip by pretending there is no shop in the first place).

Aaaaaaand it starts out the game with two boss battles in a row, no healing (though an onscreen prompt tells me to heal), then afterwards immediately put me into wave combat without health restoration. If you die, restarting is blacked out as an option and you have to return to the main menu in order to continue... again, with no health restoration. That's the janky Darksiders I'm used to.

I'm playing a remastered version from 2015. How do you miss these things on your second pass? It's stuff like this that makes my butthole clench when I think about playing their take on the soulsborne subgenre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

don't Doxx me!