Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like that the bug is specifically that stressed out wilderness creatures will want to complain to priests, not that the stress system is being applied to wilderness creatures. Traumatizing owls is by design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Traumatized owls is by design. Traumatized owls looking for therapy isn't.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Final fantasy 14 just had an exploit/glitch fixed.

In one of the instanced dungeons you can get a player buff that cuts all damage by 95% and has no timer to it. Basically used for a story moment in a fight.

Someone found out that it you start the afk kick timer at the right moment, get that buff and then get booted out you get to keep the buff, even going as far as being able to enter the hardest content in the game and almost completely trivializing it.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

frodnonnag posted:

Final fantasy 14 just had an exploit/glitch fixed.

In one of the instanced dungeons you can get a player buff that cuts all damage by 95% and has no timer to it. Basically used for a story moment in a fight.

Someone found out that it you start the afk kick timer at the right moment, get that buff and then get booted out you get to keep the buff, even going as far as being able to enter the hardest content in the game and almost completely trivializing it.

Literal plot armor.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

I hope he left the behavior in.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I hope the stressed animals now complain to anyone, not just priests.

Then again, I now have the mental image of a stressed goat wandering in, and getting used as a sacrifice to reduce it's stress.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I keep imagining a deer at the pulpit like it’s some Bojack Horseman episode.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm personally shocked they they stopped at preventing deer from wanting to speak to dorf priests and didn't finish the job by making deer priests to service their deer religion needs.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

What ecclesiastical needs could a deer possibly have?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Depends on which deernomination it belongs to.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
I am but a humble cervine of the Lord

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He just wants his prayers to be antlered

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Deer God, what have I done?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
You know what they say, doe unto others.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Turns out that you can lead the deer to the pulpit, but you can't make it pray.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I remember a YouTube video of a dude showing a glitch in I think the replay function of an NFL game from years back and this dude had the most amazing laugh. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Plastik posted:

The lord's work.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Biplane posted:

I remember a YouTube video of a dude showing a glitch in I think the replay function of an NFL game from years back and this dude had the most amazing laugh. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Is it the replay where a player went from white to black?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The one from Giant Bomb's quick review of Madden? I love how baffled everyone is but best of all is Jeff Gertsmann's face.

https://youtu.be/cCkiOEmOdNM

Starts at like 3:00

cage-free egghead has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Feb 11, 2020

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Elfface posted:

I hope the stressed animals now complain to anyone, not just priests.

Disney princess walks into woods, is surrounded by small forest creatures, who all immediately begin complaining to her about their crappy lives

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

cage-free egghead posted:

The one from Giant Bomb's quick review of Madden? I love how baffled everyone is but best of all is Jeff Gertsmann's face.

https://youtu.be/cCkiOEmOdNM

Starts at like 3:00

reminds me of the greatest GB clip of all time:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

StandardVC10 posted:

Disney princess walks into woods, is surrounded by small forest creatures, who all immediately begin complaining to her about their crappy lives

Would a court medium suffice?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

StandardVC10 posted:

Or a Francis of Assisi character who wanders the world absolving animals of their sins and giving them healing buffs.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Plastik posted:

Stop passing the buck.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

LifeSunDeath posted:

reminds me of the greatest GB clip of all time:

One of my favourite tweets:

https://twitter.com/adamarinder/status/1153399850643292161

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This is 100% cheating, as it's for a game I'm developing and therefore almost certainly not going to make it into production, but I loved it dearly and wanted to share. My game is a naval combat game, and the other day I was working on adding torpedo attack planes -- they fly towards their target ship, drop a torpedo, it lands in the water and goes forward.

Everything was working fine except the torpedoes were vanishing as soon as they got dropped. Where were they going? Waaaay the hell off the map, that's where. Because they had a velocity somewhere in the vicinity of mach 9. Ah yes, of course :thunk:

(the cause was that my projectile handling code was multiplying the provided aim vector by the projectile's specified velocity...and the "aim" vector was the airplane's flying velocity. So the torpedoes were going about a hundred times faster than the airplanes were, and the planes were already traveling at a decent clip)

A related bug that I have yet to fix: I recently improved my boat motion logic so that they actually float on the waves of the ocean, instead of just kind of sitting there at a fixed height while the waves pass through them. As a consequence of this, if a boat is at the top of a wave, torpedoes will pass underneath it. Which is great for the player when they're getting shot at...less great when you finally line up your own torpedo shot and it misses through no fault of your own.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A related bug that I have yet to fix: I recently improved my boat motion logic so that they actually float on the waves of the ocean, instead of just kind of sitting there at a fixed height while the waves pass through them. As a consequence of this, if a boat is at the top of a wave, torpedoes will pass underneath it. Which is great for the player when they're getting shot at...less great when you finally line up your own torpedo shot and it misses through no fault of your own.
Make player torpedoes home in on enemies strongly if they get close enough, problem solved.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Or just extend the ship hurtbox downward.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Just how big are your boats compared to your waves? Because that sounds a bit out of proportion.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Cardiovorax posted:

Just how big are your boats compared to your waves? Because that sounds a bit out of proportion.

That's the twist, they're all model boats and planes!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

You're right, they're out of proportion. That's because the ocean's job primarily is to sell that you're out at sea, not to present a realistic depiction of being out at sea. Here's the "rough" waves with an Iowa-class battleship, pretty much as big as you're going to get:

And here's the same, with calm waves:

Iowas have a draft of 11.5 meters, meaning that in calm water 11.5m worth of the ship is underwater (and the deck is about 8.5m above the water). They probably don't have the issue with torpedoes passing underneath them. Smaller ships like the Clemson-class destroyers and Northampton-class cruisers that the player is fighting in these screenshots have drafts of 2.8m and 5m respectively. Given that my rough waves are tall enough to wash over the Iowa's deck, those smaller ships are definitely going to be sailing over torpedoes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm just saying this as a layperson, but wouldn't it be easier to just have more and smaller waves at a more realistic scale? You could avoid the issue of having ships bob up and down that way and probably make it all look better, too.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
If you want the torpedoes to always hit, just program the torpedoes to bob with the waves too. If you want them to hit more frequently, but not always, program them to bob with the average of the waves 5 meters ahead and 5 meters behind them.

As a bonus, the latter method will also make them jump between particularly tall waves like dolphins.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm just saying this as a layperson, but wouldn't it be easier to just have more and smaller waves at a more realistic scale? You could avoid the issue of having ships bob up and down that way and probably make it all look better, too.

I used to have more and smaller waves. It didn't feel very interesting. The ocean feels far more impactful if it has large waves, and that in turn helps build the overall feeling of the game.

It's a bit like how comic book characters have "heroic" proportions or why movies often choose a small palette of colors that dominate most scenes. It's unrealistic, and it creates some extra challenges that you have to solve, but it's worth it for the increased emotional buy-in from the audience.

Now, I won't claim that I have the aesthetics of my game on lock. The ocean does need some more iteration, particularly with colors and how other objects interact with it. But I'm pretty happy with the shape of it at the moment.

And yeah, there's any number of ways I can solve the torpedo issue. Most likely I'll just give them a bigger hitbox; it's not like you can see them (or the underside of your ship) clearly enough to notice if a torpedo hits you that shouldn't have, which is usually the main problem with weird hitboxes. In particular I can make the hitbox taller without changing its width.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fair enough, it's your game, after all. :)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem is an action RPG like Diablo 2 or Path of Exile. It recently had its 1.0 release, but it still has some bugs. To quote: "There's a bug were magic find gets increased by 100% every time you leave and re-enter a zone. If you spam entering and exiting over and over, you can build well over 1000%, leading to crazy chest drops."

https://clips.twitch.tv/FancyInventiveSandpiperPrimeMe

The game currently has no item/loot filter.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Feb 16, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

The game currently has no item/loot filter.
what

No, seriously, who develops an ARPG and doesn't make loot filtering literally one of the first features to implement?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

No, seriously, who develops an ARPG and doesn't make loot filtering literally one of the first features to implement?

They're wholly unnecessary if you just don't drop so many crap items in the first place. If drops are 10x less common but 10x more likely to be useful, then there's no need for filtering and balance is preserved. This is the approach that Angband (a roguelike that's pretty clearly the inspiration for Diablo I) took. It used to be that high-level enemies would drop up to 16 items apiece, all of them "valuable" (like Holy Avenger swords, dragon scale mail, rare spellbooks, etc.) but statistically useless because by the time you're killing those enemies you almost certainly already have better. Nowadays the game automatically destroys loot that isn't good enough, so you never even see it. I'm glossing over a fair amount of detail work and polish and making it sound simpler than it is; it really does work well and removes a ton of tedium from the game.

It does rather interfere with the whole "loot pinata" aspect of the genre of course. Whether you find that aspect valuable is up to you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Nowadays the game automatically destroys loot that isn't good enough, so you never even see it. I'm glossing over a fair amount of detail work and polish and making it sound simpler than it is; it really does work well and removes a ton of tedium from the game.
I'm not really sure I see the difference. In every practical sense, that's really just a loot filter that you didn't get to set up yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Replace "get to" with "have to" and you have it, basically. Do you want to set up your own loot filters? Personally I'm in the genre for the "crush monsters, get loots" aspect moreso than the "configure a rules engine" aspect.

Again, I'm just saying it's possible to do the genre without requiring the player to do loot filters. It's not objectively better or worse IMO.