Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Man Covenant is really good right up until the xenomorph arrives to fight a crane. I really hope we get more David.

My only real disappointment is that there’s not much of a covenant in Covenant. I would’ve loved to see David tempt a shattered Oram with the promise of a new god to follow and a worldly paradise if he only brought his colonists down to settle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like the crane scene because it has that great moment with Danny McBride watching the alien crawl across the cockpit while he’s sitting underneath it. It’s a really great visual.

My other favorite shot in that movie is when the alien takes that step into the cargo bay on the ship for the final showdown. There’s something about the way it walks in upright that is unnerving as gently caress.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ruddiger posted:

My other favorite shot in that movie is when the alien takes that step into the cargo bay on the ship for the final showdown. There’s something about the way it walks in upright that is unnerving as gently caress.

yeah the humanoid behaviour of the xeno is so so much creepier than its crazy four legged nonsense, just comes across way creepier and monstrous

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Scott’s idea for the 3rd one was the engineers would get pissed and go on a revenge mission to take out David. Which would be where alien leads into

Love the first part hate the last.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would like it if the space jockey at the end of Alien was a dead rear end David in a suit and got completely destroyed by an Alien.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If that means we get a twenty foot tall David stomping around like that giant homunculus in Hellboy: Almost Colossus, then sign me the gently caress up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That would be pretty funny. Almost as funny as how much CelticPredator hates Alien.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just don't give an rear end poo poo about canon.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/wochie/status/1226344928323756033?s=20

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

David is the hero.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

alf_pogs posted:

yeah the humanoid behaviour of the xeno is so so much creepier than its crazy four legged nonsense, just comes across way creepier and monstrous

Because the Alien was designed as a nightmare creature, but over time has become more like an insectoid dinosaur.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

Because the Alien was designed as a nightmare creature, but over time has become more like an insectoid dinosaur.

it started with cameron, the whole insect comparison really threw a spanner in the works

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm really surprised that I didn't find an alien insect hybrid when I was googling around for it. I would have figured a comic would have done something with Xenomorph wasps or ants or something.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Theres a preying mantis alien toy from back in the 90s

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

alf_pogs posted:

it started with cameron, the whole insect comparison really threw a spanner in the works

On the commentary Cameron talks a lot about the intelligence of the xenomorphs and how they were trying to meet a midpoint of them being intelligent but unknowable at the same time. But how people ran with the insect comparison really does shut all of that down. One thing that as interesting though when he was talking about it that I didn't realize was that when they cut the power after the turret scene, the implication was supposed to be that they figured out what to mess with to turn the lights off remotely to make life more difficult for the marines, not that they just randomly chewed through some poo poo or whatever. But I think people took it as the latter or didn't catch Hudson being stunned that they were able to do that when they're just animals or whatever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure the Cameron xeno is really that far off from what we had in Alien though. I mean, sure if they'd gone with the original ending where the xeno uses the radio to contact the Company in Ripley's voice, ok that would've changed things. But as it is, the xeno is mostly just running around trying to survive. It's relatively intelligent but no more so than like, the velociraptors in Jurassic Park.

And the queen is clearly intelligent, and able to give orders to the others. So just the one scene where they go into the sentry gun fire like insects doesn't mean they're completely lacking in intelligence, it just may be that they have to follow the queens orders and she doesn't care about sacrificing some soldiers.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Queen is super obviously presented to basically have human intelligence - making a "deal" with Ripley and figuring out the elevator by looking at it showcases that. There's give/take with the drones, though - they are purposefully emasculated and dumbed down because they are a parallel to the Marines where the movie is about two women leading a bunch of dudes (and Vasquez, who was mistaken for a man) around.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not sure the Cameron xeno is really that far off from what we had in Alien though. I mean, sure if they'd gone with the original ending where the xeno uses the radio to contact the Company in Ripley's voice, ok that would've changed things. But as it is, the xeno is mostly just running around trying to survive. It's relatively intelligent but no more so than like, the velociraptors in Jurassic Park.

And the queen is clearly intelligent, and able to give orders to the others. So just the one scene where they go into the sentry gun fire like insects doesn't mean they're completely lacking in intelligence, it just may be that they have to follow the queens orders and she doesn't care about sacrificing some soldiers.

I also like the turret scene because it prominently shows that they don't completely exhaust the sentry guns' ammo, which to me makes it clear that while a single drone is expendable, they're not blindly stupid and that the group of them running to the sentry guns was them doing what they could until another way was found. Otherwise they wouldn't have stopped and made it to the door like Hicks was concerned about until everyone notices that they stopped.

Darko posted:

The Queen is super obviously presented to basically have human intelligence - making a "deal" with Ripley and figuring out the elevator by looking at it showcases that. There's give/take with the drones, though - they are purposefully emasculated and dumbed down because they are a parallel to the Marines where the movie is about two women leading a bunch of dudes (and Vasquez, who was mistaken for a man) around.

This too, I do think people see that and figure okay the queen is smart but the drones area just large insects when that's not really the case to me.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
What's kinda weird about the turret scene is that the aliens must have a hard limit on the number of soldiers they can produce (unless they're recycling corpses for new facehuggers, ew). You'd think they'd be a little more spendthrift compared to 'real' insects.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Battuta posted:

What's kinda weird about the turret scene is that the aliens must have a hard limit on the number of soldiers they can produce (unless they're recycling corpses for new facehuggers, ew). You'd think they'd be a little more spendthrift compared to 'real' insects.

That was my idea on why they stopped; there were just enough bullets to thin the numbers enough where it was a danger via numbers.

As opposed to the colonists, the marines were perceived as an actual threat to the hive since they went in there killing xenos, and so there was self sacrifice to get rid of the threat until that attack proved to be too dangerous.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

That makes a lot of sense!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

its really amazing how the actions of prometheus crew and scientists are so freaking far beyond the pale that its actually impossible for a bystander to believe

proposal: find my creator and ask for more life

reality: a thirty thousand year old albino bodybuilder beats me to death with the severed head of my android son

proposal: use biology skills to impress my geologist crush

reality: i choke to death while fellating an alien snake

proposal: a life support module to keep me alive

reality: i step out the door and am instantly crushed under the inexorable wheel of a gigantic alien juggernaut

proposal: meet my creator

reality: an insane narcissistic old man, the steve jobs of synthetic person products, spends a trillion dollars to fly me into deep space with a crew of idiots and his unacknowledged daughter so that i can blow up god's decapitated head in a microwave. my idiot robo racist boyfriend impregnates me with a squid baby which i must cut from my living belly and sic upon my divine creator to father an abomination

proposal: continue to seek out my creators, the engineers

reality: the head of android jeffrey dahmer escapes my duffel bag and exterminates the entire engineer species in a sickening biological holocaust

proposal: a 'perfect organism'

reality: a man follows david down into abandoned catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of eggs lying in wait. grasping the nearest one by the flaps he shakes it madly yelling "david what do you believe in"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

cool

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Prometheus and Covenant are real. They are strong and powerful and they are my friends.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Basebf555 posted:

But its not just about whether the xenomorph is portrayed as an intelligent animal, or a dumb one. The alien in the first film is more like a monster out of a nightmare, not a normal biological specimen. It makes no sense as a literal animal at all. Like, why does it have a human skull, inside a giant human penis, for a head? In one of the original designs its inner mouth was also a retractable human penis. And there's also the orifice on the egg design.

The Freudian nightmare aspect got severely downplayed over time. This sort of made sense in Aliens, which shifted focus from rape imagery to motherhood (thus the climax with the Alien Queen). But then 3, 4, and the various spin-offs dropped all that symbolism completely and didn't really replace it with anything. Prometheus brought that back to some extent, but not directly connected to the xenomorph.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 16, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

General Battuta posted:

its really amazing how the actions of prometheus crew and scientists are so freaking far beyond the pale that its actually impossible for a bystander to believe

proposal: find my creator and ask for more life

reality: a thirty thousand year old albino bodybuilder beats me to death with the severed head of my android son

proposal: use biology skills to impress my geologist crush

reality: i choke to death while fellating an alien snake

proposal: a life support module to keep me alive

reality: i step out the door and am instantly crushed under the inexorable wheel of a gigantic alien juggernaut

proposal: meet my creator

reality: an insane narcissistic old man, the steve jobs of synthetic person products, spends a trillion dollars to fly me into deep space with a crew of idiots and his unacknowledged daughter so that i can blow up god's decapitated head in a microwave. my idiot robo racist boyfriend impregnates me with a squid baby which i must cut from my living belly and sic upon my divine creator to father an abomination

proposal: continue to seek out my creators, the engineers

reality: the head of android jeffrey dahmer escapes my duffel bag and exterminates the entire engineer species in a sickening biological holocaust

proposal: a 'perfect organism'

reality: a man follows david down into abandoned catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of eggs lying in wait. grasping the nearest one by the flaps he shakes it madly yelling "david what do you believe in"

:holymoley:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lord Krangdar posted:

But its not just about whether the xenomorph is portrayed as an intelligent animal, or a dumb one. The alien in the first film is more like a monster out of a nightmare, not a normal biological specimen. It makes no sense as a literal animal at all. Like, why does it have a human skull, inside a giant human penis, for a head? In one of the original designs its inner mouth was also a retractable human penis. And there's also the orifice on the egg design.

The Freudian nightmare aspect got severely downplayed over time. This sort of made sense in Aliens, which shifted focus from rape imagery to motherhood (thus the climax with the Alien Queen). But then 3, 4, and the various spin-offs dropped all that symbolism completely and didn't really replace it with anything. Prometheus brought that back to some extent, but not directly connected to the xenomorph.

4 had penises oozing all over the place covered in KY Jelly and one of them giving someone a facial, with the climax of the movie having a big orgy with them. It was just missing the original Newborn design which was super blatant vaginal (more than the Queens hood).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Give me more Engineers Ridley you bastard.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

why did they bother killing the one alien in the cage if they could just spit acid on the floor to escape instead?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

why did they bother killing the one alien in the cage if they could just spit acid on the floor to escape instead?

Why was there more than 1 alien per cage?

Resurrection is a film about the folly of cutting military budgets.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

Such small amounts of acid at a time wouldn't have burned through the floor as quickly as an Alien getting ripped open and spilling a ton of acid all at once. If they just started spitting then I suspect Gediman would have been able to react and hit them with the liquid nitrogen, whereas when they killed one of their own they were already out of the cage before he registered what was going on.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Darko posted:

4 had penises oozing all over the place covered in KY Jelly and one of them giving someone a facial, with the climax of the movie having a big orgy with them. It was just missing the original Newborn design which was super blatant vaginal (more than the Queens hood).

Yeah one of the biggest issues with Resurrection is that they drop any subtlety and dive straight into Ripley wants to gently caress an alien.

It's so blatant that it's just amateurish.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You can blame Sigourney Weaver for that, she’d been wanting Ripley to have sex with an Alien since the second movie. They likely capitulated (sorta) for Resurrection because she had a lot more creative control over the movie than she had for the first three.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

You can blame Sigourney Weaver for that, she’d been wanting Ripley to have sex with an Alien since the second movie. They likely capitulated (sorta) for Resurrection because she had a lot more creative control over the movie than she had for the first three.

Is that why the Alien 3 novelization has that weird scene where Ripley dreams about the Alien raping her over Hick’s cryotube?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Horrible Taste posted:

Is that why the Alien 3 novelization has that weird scene where Ripley dreams about the Alien raping her over Hick’s cryotube?
I.... I don’t remember that at all, but it’s been like a decade or more since I read that novelization. :stonk:
Where in the book does it happen?

Speaking of Alien3, the Alien RPG’s star chart features both Anchorpoint Station (from the William Gibson script draft) AND Arceon Station (aka the wooden planet from the Vincent Ward script draft). :v:

As I think about it, I’ll have to check if the star chart references the Eric Red or David Twohy scripts, too.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 18, 2020

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

to be fair to weaver and h.r. i think strange sexual horror has been sort of part of the implication of alien from the start - so i can see why youd want to pursue it thematically. but yeah ressurection is as subtle as getting smashed by bricks

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

That's the big problem. Instead of sexual imagery and subtext, Alien orgy is in the actual text of the film.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I.... I don’t remember that at all, but it’s been like a decade or more since I read that novelization. :stonk:
Where in the book does it happen?

It’s only a couple of paragraphs and happens right before she wakes up in the prison infirmary.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

alf_pogs posted:

to be fair to weaver and h.r. i think strange sexual horror has been sort of part of the implication of alien from the start - so i can see why youd want to pursue it thematically. but yeah ressurection is as subtle as getting smashed by bricks

Oh the core of the idea is totally understandable, its just that Weaver, especially in the 90s into the 2000s, had a severe case of Actor Brain going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

She’s the one that wanted to be turned into a dog in Ghostbusters.