Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

grassy gnoll posted:

Some variant of the 152mm 1910 howitzer.

The website just screams "BUY THIS" don't it:
https://www.flamesofwar.com/online_store.aspx?CategoryID=11597

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
My 1811 Anglo-Portuguese army will be fighting a French Spring 1813 army tomorrow. He's going to outnumber my infantry by about 2-1 with a lot of conscripts, and probably have some corps level heavy artillery batteries. I will probably have slightly more and much better cavalry, with a better corps commander (Wellington, on a bad day).

So it's a smaller, cheap, superior troops vs a mass of conscripts, heavy artillery and less cavalry. Any tips?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Excuse me for posing the question that has already been asked a bajillion times, but how big are the washers you peeps use to base 15mm?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JcDent posted:

Excuse me for posing the question that has already been asked a bajillion times, but how big are the washers you peeps use to base 15mm?
I use #8 washers for my ACW dudes, but I'm putting them in sabot bases. If you're doing WW2, I'd go a little bigger just to make them more stable.

Hipster Rooster
Feb 7, 2012

I only eat organic grain

I use #10, which is about 1.3 cm in diamater. It's not much bigger then #8 (~1.1 cm), but it's more stable. Though if you want to have a dense row of soldiers, shoulder-to-shoulder #8 might be better.

Hipster Rooster fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 15, 2020

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

There was a time when BF was really into bringing Corps-level Artillery into Comapny level games.

I'm glad that that phase is over. However, I'm still kind of glad that I managed to get a Battery of British 5.5 inch guns, because those are gorgeous.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Today's project: painting pompoms and basing three battalions of French. These are mainly Victrix, and have been growing as a side project, being kind of leftovers. There are a few Perry and Warlord guys, including a Calpe mounted officer, which I needed to fill up the ranks to make three whole battalions.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I played my 5th and 6th Field of Glory Napoleonic (2nd ed) game today. The first one didn't go past 3 turns...

The full report is on my blog. I'm going to add some more text and explations of what happened, but this is a overview for it now.

Southern France - Spring 1813.

(The terrain sheet is by Cigar Box Battle Store. I've ordered the Field of Battle - Grassland 2. The terrain is from League of ancients).

Following the disastrous invasion of Russia, Napoleon has been forced to rebuild his army with newly drafted conscripts and cavalry. His army lacks dedicated corps level artillery units.

Wellington's Anglo-Portuguese army crosses the Spanish frontier and engages the French army at the base of the Pyreness and the river and town of Nivelles (not a real town or battle).

British and Portuguese Dragoons cross the river Nivelles to scout the French army. A rough hill is to it's south and gentle hills to the north of the town of Nivelles itself. In the distance to the East is rough area and a rough hill to the far north. A small wood is next to the road in the direction of far off Toulon.

Wellington's plan was for the allied cavalry to act as the army reserve. However, the Allied cavalry commander, seeing no French in his way, IMPETUOUSLY decided to cross the Nivelles river and advance into France.

The Anglo-Portuguese army deploys to the right of the the town of Nivelles

Two French infantry divisions of conscripts deploy to stop the invasion of France.

The allied dragoon division crosses the river Nivelles.

Wellington looks towards the enemy. His army is deployed on the reverse slope, as is his want.

The VERY LARGE French Cavalry division charges the outnumbered Dragoons

The British Light Dragoons flee!

I should have rolled for the Heavy Dragoons first! A class rookie mistake!

With both the Light and Portuguese Dragoons fleeing the battlefield, the heavy Dragoons are doomed.

The Division commander joins them in a desperate attempt to hold them!

Disaster. The heavies flee to join the rest of the allied cavalry.

As does the British Cavalry commander. He escapes with his life only by outrunning the French light cavalry. There WILL be a court of inquiry on this disaster. He will be cashiered for this! (aka my Army list is going to be changed for the next battle)

With the entire left flank wide open following the complete collapse of the cavalry division, and his line of retreat threatened, Wellington orders a retreat to Spain.

ALLIED DEFEAT!

Coming up if I can be motivated to write it - my 6th battle ~ The French chase Wellington back to Spain. Will be defeat them there? . We'll find out if anyone asks for it (or I write it up anyway).

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I picked up this 4ground train engine kit as terrain for my Dracula's America games.

Maybe I don't build enough actual models, but the amount of tiny components is insane. The instructions to put it together has over 280 steps and is TWELVE pages long. I worked on it for an hour last night and only finished assembling the undercarriage.

Uhg.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Holy poo poo, lol. I've definitely looked at that model online for sp

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Hipster Rooster posted:

I use #10, which is about 1.3 cm in diamater. It's not much bigger then #8 (~1.1 cm), but it's more stable. Though if you want to have a dense row of soldiers, shoulder-to-shoulder #8 might be better.

Well, these ones are 12 mm, so I guess I'll be getting those:
https://www.ermitazas.lt/Statybines...vnt-215471.html

Hipster Rooster
Feb 7, 2012

I only eat organic grain

I think you need smaller ones - these seem to be DIN9021 M12, so for M12 bolts: the inner's circle diameter is about 12mm, the outer one seems to be about 36mm.
Look for DIN9021 M4. Here is a list of DN9021 washers types.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Comstar posted:

Coming up if I can be motivated to write it - my 6th battle ~ The French chase Wellington back to Spain. Will be defeat them there? . We'll find out if anyone asks for it (or I write it up anyway).

Please do, I like reading your reports. It's great to see divisions moving about since my goal for 2020 is to have an infantry division painted, though in 28mm.

As for the battle, having your cavalry too far forward and exposed is bound to cause pain!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

lilljonas posted:

As for the battle, having your cavalry too far forward and exposed is bound to cause pain!

Napoleon:
Those men on grey horses are terrifying.

Marshal Soult:
They are the noblest cavalry in Europe; and the worst led.

Me:
Challenge accepted!

I as their commander, made a number of mistakes that experience would have prevented.

Spring 1813 French are infamous in the lack of trained and total cavalry. However, he had large units to my (superior) small. Mistake #1.

Mistake #2 - I deployed my cavalry division FIRST, allowing the French to deploy their cavalry to match mine. I was doing an envelope mission, meaning my LIGHT DIVISION (the best in the British army) was going to flank the enemy on the left, so the plan was to lure the enemy onto my left flank, and then hit them in the rear with the Light division. I needed to roll a 5+ on 2, 3 or 4d6dice to get them to come in on turn 2,3 or 4.

....I did not roll a 5+. If I had, the Light division would have appeared BEHIND the French cavalry (who were completely unsupported by his conscript infantry) and shot them to pieces. So the battle was lost because the unit that was supposed to surprise the enemy was instead lost in the mountains. Whelp. How is THAT for an historical outcome!

Mistake #3 I could have used an extra dice each turn by using Wellington's superior abilities as an army commander. In FOGN you roll 1d6 each turn for each flanking unit, needing a 5+, and increasing 1d6 each turn. You get +1d6 for a skilled General (which the Light Division has) and can get a further +1d6 if you have a skilled Corps commander and use 2 ADC's to hurry them up. So I could have been rolling, 3d6 on turn 1 for them to turn up the next turn, 4d6 on turn 2 and 5d6 on turn 3. Once it arrives you tell your opponent they are coming in, and arrive a turn later, and if they come in close to the enemy, the enemy unit takes a cohesion loss and falls back. Whelp.

Mistake #4 was when I did charge my cavalry, I decided to fight the first combat with my light dragoons and not the heavies. As the French had heavy cavalry, they only needed 4 on d6 to hit, and not 5 on d6. So they won that combat, and forced a cohesion test on my supporting Portuguese cavalry, and I failed that roll, so they broke too, so my heavies were at a disadvantage in their combat.

Mistake #5. I had Heavy Shock cavalry vs his Heavy cavalry. So I should have been at 4+ to hit, but didn't read that rule. My opponent just said I needed 5+ as it was heavy vs heavy, so I failed to hit as often. I should have checked that rule! Whelp. I need to print out and laminate the rule cheat sheets and have them with me next time to avoid that.

Mistake #6. I should have attached my division commander to my heavy dragoons. I had superior troops so reroll 1's. superior troops with a commander reroll 1's AND 2's. So I would have rolled 7d6, needing 4's to hit, and re-rolling 1's and 2. I probably would have won that combat, and if I did that and he failed his cohesion roll, may have routed his entire division!

British Cavalry. The best cavalry in the world. And the worst lead (by me).

Wellington wrote: "I considered our ( British ) cavalry so inferior to the French from the want of order, that although I considered one squadron a match for two French, I didn't like to see four British opposed to four French, and as the numbers increased and order, of course, became more necessary I was the more unwilling to risk our men without having a superiority in numbers....[
"It is occasioned entirely by the trick our officers of cavalry have acquired of galloping at everything and their galloping back as fast as they gallop on the enemy... They never consider the situation, never think of manoeuvring before an enemy, and never keep back or provide for a reserve."

Conclusion: Always take Wellington's advice.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
It's entertaining to read about British cavalry.

HQ: the main focus of the cavalry is scouting and outpost duty, now you are all dragoons.
Fancy dudes with horses: Yeah, about that we're just going to hang back and then impeteously charge everything with everyone. Who needs reserves? If you have someone to back you up when you're (inevitably...) counter-charged your not really living on the edge.
HQ: :ughh: Ok, now you are light dragoons. Can you do the needful now? No? Fuckit, let's just have these (actually professional) germans do it

Also, fancy dudes with horses: Getting more than my squadron mates together for a fox hunt, and maybe some practice charges is to much effort. It's not like there is a point to practicing maneuvers in bigger formations, how hard can it be?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

So in this ruleset do the cavalry sometimes move and charge without orders?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Class Warcraft posted:

So in this ruleset do the cavalry sometimes move and charge without orders?

In Field of Glory Napoleonic 2nd edition, no one moves without orders (being a corps level game where units are brigades), but IMPETUOUS cavalry (aka, the non-veteran British cavalry) will ALWAYS pursue a routed enemy. Normal (or KGL cavalry or veteran British ) may make a complex move test* roll not to pursue. If you pursue an enemy, you roll a dice to see how far you go and may well hit whoever is behind the original routed unit.

That may be want you want. For example, I routed a 2nd French brigade at the Battle of Talavera (see up thread) when the French infantry used defensive fire and missed every shot and the cavalry routed them too. It helps that superior cavalry (which most British cavalry is) also ignore the first hit when assaulting someone.

..or it might not. I wouldn't want to charge a spent or wavering cavalry unit into a large infantry unit or one with artillery (unless it's in the flank, like my first game when a British Heavy Dragoon unit IMPETUOUSLY charged straight into the flank of two French artillery units and routed them too). But British cavalry will do what British cavalry will do.

--------------
* 1 command point if in command, 2 if not. 5+ roll to pass, 4+ if lead by a commander. Superior reroll 1's, Poor reroll 6's. Veteran's roll 3 dice, Drilled roll 2, Conscripts and irregular roll 1.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 18, 2020

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I painted a 15mm/1:100 Valentine Mk II from Battlefront.

I feel like it needs something a little extra, so I might see if I can get some appropriate decals from somewhere.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

I feel like it needs something a little extra, so I might see if I can get some appropriate decals from somewhere.

Nice and crisp little chunky boy. I like the muted chipping effect. I agree you need some decals. They always add a bit of sorely needed colour to British tanks.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Endman posted:

She's a cutie!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Endman posted:

What's the paint bottle? Did GW do a super expensive line of paints that I didn't notice?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Arquinsiel posted:

What's the paint bottle? Did GW do a super expensive line of paints that I didn't notice?

Oh, it's a weathering powder from Forgeworld that I've never used except as a painting handle :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Lol, nice. Much like my own Foundation paint range...

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Here's a Tiger tank I painted about 10 years ago, compared to one I finished yesterday. It's crazy how much you can progress. Also note the difference in detail between the old resin model and the new plastic one.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That's a nice Tiger!

Can I ask how you got the dirty, used effect on the tracks?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Sure. Vallejo Model Air Gungrey as base, Nuln Oil wash, rust pigments followed by European Mud pigments and then European Dust pigments and a pigment fixer.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Fish and Chimps posted:

Sure. Vallejo Model Air Gungrey as base, Nuln Oil wash, rust pigments followed by European Mud pigments and then European Dust pigments and a pigment fixer.

Awesome - they look very realistic.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We fought a SP2 battle yesterday in our campaign that was dormant for almost a year! It's great to see it not just fizzle out.

I haven't written a battle report yet, but instead I published reports for a battle we already fought.

We decided to write two campaign narratives, and the players are NOT allowed to read them as the moves and army lists are hidden using a GM. It's a very different experience and I can highly recommend it.

French perspective here: https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/french-campaign-blog

Russian perspective here: https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/russian-campaign-blog

Shirty got to field his amazing hussars with lances!

I got to kill a few more russian conscripts!

Long lines of guys shooting at each other!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

Awesome - they look very realistic.

Thanks! Pigments are almost not worth the hassle though, because they make the worst mess! They do give a certain finish you can't replicate with regular paints.

lilljonas posted:

We fought a SP2 battle yesterday in our campaign that was dormant for almost a year! It's great to see it not just fizzle out.

Great! I've been looking forward to seeing more of your SP2 campaign.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

lilljonas posted:

Can you tell me about Sharpe Practice 2? All the battle reports I'd seen before consisted of about 12 figures but you're photos clearly show large units WITH OFFICERS in the right place!

Endman
May 18, 2010

I just finished this 15mm Panzer 38(t) from the Plastic Soldier Company:

I'm really impressed with the detail for a kit this size, especially all those tiny rivets. They really lend themselves to drybrushing.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Comstar posted:

Can you tell me about Sharpe Practice 2? All the battle reports I'd seen before consisted of about 12 figures but you're photos clearly show large units WITH OFFICERS in the right place!

Basically we've pushed it about as far as possible in size, including a few house rules (especially simplifying NCO activation). The simplified rules can be found in our Moscow 1812 PDF: https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/rules--downloads.html

The ruleset comes with example forces that are smaller. A group of regular infantry is 8 miniatures and skirmishers are 6. Several groups together can move and fight as a formation. A "starting" army from the rulebook might look like this:

-Three groups of regulars with a lvl 3 leader
-Two groups of regulars with a lvl 2 leader
-A single group of elite skirmishers with a lvl 1 leader.

Now, that is enough to play, and you can get started with between 20 and 50 quid of miniatures depending on what you get. But we are too maximalist to stop there, so we kept pushing it until we had battles like this:

These mega battles might have about four times as many troops or even more. They become very tense as there are usually multiple areas of the battlefield where the battle can turn one way or the other depending on what card is drawn from the deck first. The disadvantage is that SP2 has individual resolution of every miniature and every shot, making the games kind of a slog. 4+ hours is not unusual for us, so it's really most suitable for a weekend battle or if both players can get out from work early.

I'd say the best part of SP2 is the activation system. It makes for a huge amount of tension and moments of absolute triumph or failure. It's a bit of a swingy game and not suitable for people who can't shrug off that sometimes the dice or cards just ruin your day. But despite this you have a lot of input as a player, the activation system has a degree of opportuntiy for you to prioritize certain units when you get somewhat unfortunate turns.

It's a very suitable game if you're kind of interested in Napoleonics, but you're put off by the idea of buying and painting 300 miniatures to even get started. That was my situation, I really knew nothing about Napoleonics before I was roped in to play SP2. Now I'm in the process of painting a dozen 28mm battalions or more for those larger games that I'd never even consider before. It's really addictive!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

lilljonas posted:

It's a very suitable game if you're kind of interested in Napoleonics, but you're put off by the idea of buying and painting 300 miniatures to even get started. That was my situation, I really knew nothing about Napoleonics before I was roped in to play SP2. Now I'm in the process of painting a dozen 28mm battalions or more for those larger games that I'd never even consider before. It's really addictive!

...I have 300 figures to paint or buy before my Field of Glory Napoleonic army is ready for the battlefield :(.

I have not quite completed..one small unit. :(

The army I've been using is a borrowed one and I can't keep mooching off it. I need to find the motivation tomorrow to paint a cavalry unit.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 22, 2020

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

I just finished this 15mm Panzer 38(t) from the Plastic Soldier Company:

I'm really impressed with the detail for a kit this size, especially all those tiny rivets. They really lend themselves to drybrushing.

That looks great! I got two of them from my friend which could use a dry brush to pick out the details. I painted one up as a Marder 3 myself, too.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Someone please talk me out of ordering an entire replica of The Alamo.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sarissa-precision/the-alamo-28mm-laser-cut-tabletop-terrain/description

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No :colbert:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I don't think I'm allowed to as a native Texan. They'd take away my guns and everything

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Well, I bowed to the inevitable. Hopefully the stretch goals include a bowie knife and an enourmous belt bucket that says NEVER FORGET

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm getting back into 3D printing after hopefully resolving my 3D printer woes. Is there a big megapack for WW2 planes? USSR, Japan, and Germany most important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Class Warcraft posted:

Well, I bowed to the inevitable. Hopefully the stretch goals include a bowie knife and an enourmous belt bucket that says NEVER FORGET

Glad to see you bowed to the pressure. This'll be fun for Dracula's America.