Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Something something from chattel slavery to debt slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
is. . . . is she doing the wakanda salute

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Virginia here, and :same:

Unless your boss outright says "I'm firing you because I don't like the color of your skin/who you gently caress/what gender you are", you have no protections whatsoever w/r/t getting fired, getting severance compensation, or even unemployment/food stamps from your $7.25/hr job in an at-will state.

My "favorite" story is: I got fired once for attempting suicide and going to the hospital instead of showing up for work. My husband worked at the same place and got written up for abandoning his position to drive me to the hospital when I called him for help.

God Bless America.

What always strikes me is that even abandoning all moral and legal sensibilities, firing people at the drop of a hat is bad business. Hiring people is expensive. Training people is expensive. Lost productivity while a new hire gets up to speed is expensive. If you've got someone who's doing a job successfully you should be doing your very best to hang on to them because losing them incurs a ton of avoidable costs.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

What always strikes me is that even abandoning all moral and legal sensibilities, firing people at the drop of a hat is bad business. Hiring people is expensive. Training people is expensive. Lost productivity while a new hire gets up to speed is expensive. If you've got someone who's doing a job successfully you should be doing your very best to hang on to them because losing them incurs a ton of avoidable costs.

call center seasonal layoffs are incredibly profitable

you have to train every incoming new crop of desperate workers anyway, and competency is determined on the meat grinder of the call floor where people who are struggling to perform get fewer and fewer calls and the high scorers get more and more

in customer service roles especially, actual competency in solving issues is secondary to going through the required motions in as little time as possible

I can't imagine this is the only industry that works like this

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Something something from chattel slavery to debt slavery.

Is the credit limit 20 acres and a mule?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just ordered some hair clippers from Amazon and the confirmation email has some suggestions on things that would best accompany my purchase:

I suppose the idea is that I'm going to balls up my hair, varnish the top of my head then nail the bag to it?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That's just a DIY mohawk kit and punk piercings.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

The last time someone tried to hand over Harriet Tubman in a transaction, it didn’t go well for them.

The Tubman card: it’ll spy on you.

There’s also a “bucks” joke here, but I won’t be the one to make it.

P.S.: American Express will sue them for infringing on their Black Card trademark.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Platystemon posted:

The last time someone tried to hand over Harriet Tubman in a transaction, it didn’t go well for them.

The Tubman card: it’ll spy on you.

There’s also a “bucks” joke here, but I won’t be the one to make it.

P.S.: American Express will sue them for infringing on their Black Card trademark.

:chloe:

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

Just ordered some hair clippers from Amazon and the confirmation email has some suggestions on things that would best accompany my purchase:

I suppose the idea is that I'm going to balls up my hair, varnish the top of my head then nail the bag to it?

Well, if you're doing your hair, you're probably going to do your nails.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

I mean at least it’s not Mastercard.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

christmas boots posted:

:drat:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

christmas boots posted:

Holy poo poo

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

christmas boots posted:

:chanpop:

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

christmas boots posted:

God drat :monocle:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The Supreme Court has ruled that the president may use his national security powers to deny Tubman a visa.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Peanut Butler posted:

call center seasonal layoffs are incredibly profitable

you have to train every incoming new crop of desperate workers anyway, and competency is determined on the meat grinder of the call floor where people who are struggling to perform get fewer and fewer calls and the high scorers get more and more

in customer service roles especially, actual competency in solving issues is secondary to going through the required motions in as little time as possible

I can't imagine this is the only industry that works like this
You can very easily track how many calls a person handles in a given period of time by just keeping an automatic log of when calls begin and end.

Tracking if they're doing their job well is much harder.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

The Lone Badger posted:

Look at this guy who thinks managers are in it to make money.

No, my young padawan learner.

If nobody is acting in a way to maximize profits that means the incentives are not to maximize profits.

If the incentives are to control people all day, that is the actual purpose of the business.

If you spend all your time doing X, you are in the X business.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/WorldBankSAsia/status/1227865071164022784

These useless trees aren't making any money, how should we fix that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Samuringa posted:

That’s double the value of forestry to the U.S. GDP.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Oh man. Reminds of this poo poo customer I had at work. You can make paper out of sanitized herbivore waste because they don't digest the cellulose. You can turn things like grass and bamboo into paper products which is much more sustainable than forestry products.

I was talking to this lady about the paper we had, and mentioned that last point, she got all offended and said she didn't agree because she was a forester and we HAVE to cut down all the trees eventually. Um excuse me? No we loving don't! What the gently caress lady.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

The website I order my cat food from sent me a valentine's card signed by my cat, which seems presumptuous.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

Oh man. Reminds of this poo poo customer I had at work. You can make paper out of sanitized herbivore waste because they don't digest the cellulose. You can turn things like grass and bamboo into paper products which is much more sustainable than forestry products.

I was talking to this lady about the paper we had, and mentioned that last point, she got all offended and said she didn't agree because she was a forester and we HAVE to cut down all the trees eventually. Um excuse me? No we loving don't! What the gently caress lady.

If she actually was a forester it might have been a gut "oh no my job reaction" even if realistically that probably barely affects it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I still love that their leader/king is named Wangchuck.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Croccers posted:

Hey you dang wangchucks, stop chucking all my wang!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Make paper pulp out of "naked" cellulose from algae or biodigested grass and reduce costly bleaching and lignin removal. Continue sustainable forestry and bury excess wood as a carbon sink.

I wish both points were as easy as typing them out. Paper manufacturers aren't any more married to trees than fiber length and the alternative methods compete more with recycled fiber than virgin tree fiber when it comes to quality and length. And we're still figuring out what carbon sequestration should look like, and if forestry can and should play a part.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Croccers posted:

Everybody have fun tonight
Everybody Wangchuck tonight.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spookygonk posted:

Everybody Wangchuck tonight.

:hmmyes:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Okay, I'm still salty about these loving earwax ads I keep getting for no apparent reason (AND I have Adblocker, so why do they show up, and how do I stop making this happen?!)

Why on earth would a FOOD website allow this disgusting ad on their site?

I know sites don't have much, if any, control on what ads get shoved on them. But you can't tell me people are looking up "tasty salad recipes" and then thinking "hmmm, now I've completely lost my appetite, and lemme click on this horrible picture of earwax! I'll be sure to visit this site again!" Like, I'm never clicking on Taste of Home again because I might get gross earwax in pages about food. I'm also never clicking on that ad. No one has won here.

This is dumb marketing, yes?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh, so that's where chick peas come from! That explains a hell of a lot.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, so that's where chick peas come from! That explains a hell of a lot.

You're thinking of garbanzos.

Everyone knows chickpeas are stored in the balls.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Segmentation Fox posted:

You're thinking of garbanzos.

Not sure I know that one; hummus a few bars, would you?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The difference between a chick pea and a garbanzo bean is that I've never paid forty dollars to have a garbanzo bean on my face

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Memento posted:

The difference between a chick pea and a garbanzo bean is that I've never paid forty dollars to have a garbanzo bean on my face

Welcome to the Something Awful dot com comedy forums, Mister President.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Why on earth would a FOOD website allow this disgusting ad on their site?

This reminds me of the old Allrecipes app. When you'd select a recipe there'd be a loading screen with a random quote from a recipe review, only the selection of quotes it pulled from was pretty small. Half the time I was trying to make food I had to read, again, about grandma's litter box cake and how all the kids freaked out when they thought they saw her eating cat turds, or how some other recipe was so good her husband ate too much and it made him poo poo a lot.

Who the hell thought that was a good idea!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

First time I saw this type of thing done with a woman, I'll give them that.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1229110726138253312

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Props on not giving her huge tits. That's the mancubus' thing.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The MSJ posted:

First time I saw this type of thing done with a woman, I'll give them that.

I'm guessing they came up with the Vin Diesel pun first and worked backwards from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Picnic Princess posted:

Eh it kind of depends. They are trying to build a Tesla factory here in germany and, among valid environmental concerns, some people are mad because they are cutting down a shitton of trees to do it. The thing is though: Thats not a natural forest. Those trees have been planted to get harvested a couple of decades later. Theres no undergrowth or biodiversity in that forest, its just rows and rows of trees with not much else.
So yeah,cut those fuckers down. Theres never gonna be a natural forest there.
Cutting down wild forests because they are just standing around not making money is pretty hosed up though.