Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

What are some of the worst title reigns?

I assume this is the Brock Lesnar Award for Worst Title Reign so he can't be nominated

KO's universal title run was pretty bad, he was constantly being misused and we never got the showdown for the belt with Jericho it deserved. Then he lost in two seconds to Goldberg because there's nobody who can be as good as someone from 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

A lot of people malign Rey's world title run.
Seth's first world title run where there was a stretch where he went 2-13 on television.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
David Arquette is another gimme.

Outside of that there’s Diesel. The win was out of nowhere at a house show (same poo poo they pulled with Bret Hart two years prior and it didn’t work then either), he was boring on the mic, not good in the ring, and it dragged on almost a year. Not a single good match the whole time.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

TriffTshngo posted:

In a modern context I think it makes sense for the DQ rule to still exist so you can use it to build storylines further and extend babyface title chases a bit longer, with it leading to some kind of big final match with a stipulation with no DQs, or title change via DQ. WWE being terrible and overusing it + doing it badly for 20 years doesn't necessarily make it a bad rule to have. The particular situation with the Giant I was referencing was just extra stupid because you only found this out the next night on Nitro because Jimmy Hart secretly turned on Hogan beforehand, getting the stip added to the match without him knowing, and then interfering when he was still, in the ref's eyes, on Hogan's side, which meant Hogan got DQ'd. It's the kind of poo poo even WWE don't do because it's so stupid. Not to defend the bad company but at least when they do a "Title changes hands on DQ" stip it's like, part of the story, like when Christian won it from Randy in 2011, lame as that finish was. WCW just did it because they were WCW CREATIVE CONTROL, BROTHER.

The count-out thing though yeah that can go. It's nice watching New Japan where the threat of a count-out title change is real, even if they literally never use it and everyone knows they won't.

The issue is that it doesn't really work anymore: after a DQ finish the reaction you get isn't "I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE NEXT MATCH!" but "really, a DQ???" and its all negative stuff aimed at the promotion. There's a reason why most other places have trended towards mostly clean finishes; especially in big main event level matches.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

IceAgeComing posted:

The issue is that it doesn't really work anymore: after a DQ finish the reaction you get isn't "I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE NEXT MATCH!" but "really, a DQ???" and its all negative stuff aimed at the promotion. There's a reason why most other places have trended towards mostly clean finishes; especially in big main event level matches.

Were WWE to massively cut back on the rollups and screwy/non-finishes and only do them in service of building a storyline instead of just because they couldn't be assed to think of a winner to whatever dumbass no-consequence TV match #7 on Raw, it would be more effective. I don't think it's that the fans refuse to accept a DQ or count-out anymore, it's that fans are loving sick of them because WWE never learned to stop doing them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

David Arquette is another gimme.

Wouldn't every single title reign in 2000 in WCW be a candidate for worst title reign ever? Oklahoma was Cruiserweight Champion.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

NikkolasKing posted:

Wouldn't every single title reign in 2000 in WCW be a candidate for worst title reign ever? Oklahoma was Cruiserweight Champion.

There was a Cultaholic video where they ranked every WCW World Champion from worst to best and it was crazy to see how few good title runs there were in the history of the company.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

What are some of the worst title reigns? Like I've just watched HHH beat Rock for the IC title in 98 and while the match was great, the title reign is non existent - defended it once to bury Owen Hart then vacate it.

Big Shows 99 and 02 WWE title reigns are in there. Dean Ambrose had a nothing run as US title during his Shield days. I guess this could be a Kofi/Mix/Ziggler question.

A reign that should have been legendary but ended up being a dogturd was Jericho as the first undisputed champion. Jericho beat The Rock and Stone Cold in the same night. He was the first holder of both belts simultaneously. They had so much potential there for new stories and new matches. They could have handed Jericho the ball and let him run with it. Instead they immediately started booking him as a weak coward. He needed a belt shot, interference, a crooked ref, a low blow, and a rope assist to beat The Rock at the Rumble. His match against Austin at No Way Out played second fiddle to Austin's feud with the NWO. Then he was the fourth most important participant in his feud with Triple H, after Triple H, Stephanie, and Stephanie's dog. At one point the first undisputed WWF champion was cleaning up dog poop on TV for his boss.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

What are some of the worst title reigns? Like I've just watched HHH beat Rock for the IC title in 98 and while the match was great, the title reign is non existent - defended it once to bury Owen Hart then vacate it.

Big Shows 99 and 02 WWE title reigns are in there. Dean Ambrose had a nothing run as US title during his Shield days. I guess this could be a Kofi/Mix/Ziggler question.

Joey Ryan's PWG title reign is absolutely atrocious, a period from late 2005 to early 2007 of bad matches on top almost every time out. Just a bad heel run.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

MassRafTer posted:

Joey Ryan's PWG title reign is absolutely atrocious, a period from late 2005 to early 2007 of bad matches on top almost every time out. Just a bad heel run.

my wrestling question is: is joey ryan a bad wrestler who stumbled upon an over gimmick? and if so what is the difference between that and a good wrestler?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tadao Yasuda. IWGP Heavyweight Champion in 2002. Dude won a tournament for the vacant title, beating Masahiro Chono & Yuji Nagata. Before that, career midcarder, usually the guy being pinned in tag matches. Then he did some MMA & beat Jerome Le Banner at Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye so of course he got a title run. 1 successful defence against Tenzan & that was it, dropped the belt to Nagata & everyone just tried to forget it.

Honourable mentions to the Bob Sapp & Brock Lesnar IWGP Heavyweight title reigns. Both very short but bad for different reasons.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

shiksa posted:

my wrestling question is: is joey ryan a bad wrestler who stumbled upon an over gimmick? and if so what is the difference between that and a good wrestler?

A good wrestler can work outside the gimmick and still deliver. El Generico was a very over gimmick, and after losing that gimmick he's still put in good performances despite his circumstances.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Tadao Yasuda. IWGP Heavyweight Champion in 2002. Dude won a tournament for the vacant title, beating Masahiro Chono & Yuji Nagata. Before that, career midcarder, usually the guy being pinned in tag matches. Then he did some MMA & beat Jerome Le Banner at Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye so of course he got a title run. 1 successful defence against Tenzan & that was it, dropped the belt to Nagata & everyone just tried to forget it.

Honourable mentions to the Bob Sapp & Brock Lesnar IWGP Heavyweight title reigns. Both very short but bad for different reasons.

I wouldn't put Sapp on Yasuda or Lesnar's level just because he was insanely over and charismatic.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

What is the best upgrade in terms of replacing wrestlers who were pulled from the card for injury or any reason?

Asking because I saw Jimmy Suzuki is replacing Cody Hall with Dylan James in light of Cody's recent controversies and that's a pretty massive talent differential (as would replacing Cody with anyone tbf)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I wouldn't put Sapp on Yasuda or Lesnar's level just because he was insanely over and charismatic.

Yeah but getting stripped of the title because you lost an MMA fight is some seriously awful booking.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is Jericho the G.O.A.T? He's wrestled for 30 years largely injury free, always entertaining to watch, has fantastic matches, reinvents himself, much better than his WWE peers (Punk, Edge, RVD, HHH, HBK) and likely has years ahead of him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Is Jericho the G.O.A.T? He's wrestled for 30 years largely injury free, always entertaining to watch, has fantastic matches, reinvents himself, much better than his WWE peers (Punk, Edge, RVD, HHH, HBK) and likely has years ahead of him.

At the very least I consider him to be the best later-career wrestler of all time.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

For me personally, is he one of the best? Absolutely. He’s at that elite level where, along with a handful of other guys, they are so loving good that saying one is better than the other comes down to personal preference more than anything. His resume and longevity are drat near impossible to beat.

And if some loser comes in here and tries to drop that poo poo where they say “Um, actually Hulk Hogan sold more tickets and more ppvs therefore he is the true G.O.A.T.” I am going to kick your rear end.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yeah, I'd argue that he is at this moment. Dude made it through the biggest period of change in the business and always looked fantastic whatever he was doing. And now he's pushing fifty and yet he's somehow managed to pull the peak of his career out of his rear end.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandman McMahon posted:

And if some loser comes in here and tries to drop that poo poo where they say “Um, actually Hulk Hogan sold more tickets and more ppvs therefore he is the true G.O.A.T.” I am going to kick your rear end.

In a business that's about entertaining fans and drawing money, it's hard to argue Hogan isn't top 3

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

In a business that's about entertaining fans and drawing money, it's hard to argue Hogan isn't top 3

Yeah, but he also made some considerable contributions towards driving red-hot products into the loving ground.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Randaconda posted:

In that case Avengers: Endgame is the best movie of all time

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Andrast posted:

In that case Avengers: Endgame is the best movie of all time

yes, movies and pro wrasslin' are exactly the same thing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Randaconda posted:

In this case, yeah pretty much

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

No. Misawa, Okada, Kobashi, Hashimoto, Flair, Inoki, Thesz, Bockwinkel, Race, Choshu probably all have at least as strong cases. And that's just the names that come to mind while I'm on the loo.

You can probably make a case for him but personally I'm not buying

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I’m gonna go ahead and put myself on the right side of history and say the true answer is Orange Cassidy.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

forkboy84 posted:

No. Misawa, Okada, Kobashi, Hashimoto, Flair, Inoki, Thesz, Bockwinkel, Race, Choshu probably all have at least as strong cases. And that's just the names that come to mind while I'm on the loo.

You can probably make a case for him but personally I'm not buying

Thesz, Misawa and Flair especially

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandman McMahon posted:

I’m gonna go ahead and put myself on the right side of history and say the true answer is Orange Cassidy.

:hmmyes:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

We'll figure this all out when Rarity's hand heals.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

If you're talking late career wrestlers Negro Casas is just as over as Jericho. In ring is a push or even a slight advantage to Casas and he's 60.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I'd personally put Jericho in GOAT contention and it's great to see him finally get the chance to carry a company as a top star and do such a great job of it. It's a bonus that he's willing to work with so many younger talents and make them look as good as possible.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tanahashi is also having a real amazing late career run that's pushing him into the GOAT talk as well

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I'm not on the Jericho For GOAT bandwagon but then it's like I've been a fan of the dude's for literally a quarter century and his current reign is helping get a national fed off the ground so ???

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I dont think you could put Jericho in the top 10 of all time, but I do think hes past that. Jericho has had lots of success beyond wrestling, in several things that many told him he would not succeed. So not a goat in wrestling, but one of the best at this moment, and easily one of most successful wrestlers in life.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

What is the best upgrade in terms of replacing wrestlers who were pulled from the card for injury or any reason?

Asking because I saw Jimmy Suzuki is replacing Cody Hall with Dylan James in light of Cody's recent controversies and that's a pretty massive talent differential (as would replacing Cody with anyone tbf)

maybe not the best, but i laugh when i remember that wwe ppv from somewhere in the last few years where roman and bray got very sick and it massively upgraded their matches.

fuckin shield uncle angle gets me every time.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Jericho was my ultra favorite as a kid and I've always had a massive soft spot for him even when one of his runs was kind of underwhelming so even if I'm not interested in AEW it's awesome to see him getting so much respect this late in his career. Guy clearly knows how to be a star while making everyone around him look great as well.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

It unfortunate that he's a chud.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

In the US you could make the argument but is better than Flair who had a longer career with more time on top and less long breaks, probably not. Definitely not as big of a star, wasn't the best wrestler in the country at his peak, etc.

Then there are people like Thesz who had a 30+ full time career, wrestled part time for another 15 years after that, dominated the NWA title for years, was a major part of why wrestling became popular in Japan, in his old age was still considered such a star that he was made the first UWA champion, and was incredibly respected as a wrestler. Jericho can't compete with that.

He's a very entertaining guy, has a great career but it is a big stretch to call him the best from his own company and impossible for the world. He's not even close to the best old guy wrestler when you look at the old guy wrestlers in Mexico.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Randaconda posted:

Pro wrestling is weird because it's kind of like a sport, but you can't determine someone's success as winning the most. Drawing power is somewhat of a substitute, but I think we all know that selling tickets doesn't mean you're a good pro wrestler (Hogan is the top draw of all time and he loving sucks)

If you look at pro wrestling as entertainment or art, the drawing power argument is pretty drat stupid. No one would argue that Thomas kinkade is a better painter than Vincent van Gogh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Son of Man posted:

Pro wrestling is weird because it's kind of like a sport, but you can't determine someone's success as winning the most. Drawing power is somewhat of a substitute, but I think we all know that selling tickets doesn't mean you're a good pro wrestler (Hogan is the top draw of all time and he loving sucks)

If you look at pro wrestling as entertainment or art, the drawing power argument is pretty drat stupid. No one would argue that Thomas kinkade is a better painter than Vincent van Gogh

Hmm yes, the business, which has always been first and foremost about making money, doesn't count guys who made more than anybody else!