Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

What's a good up to TBD decklist for Historic Soul Sisters? Preferably Orzhov but w/e works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jeoh posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MIodZhvpFClvuAZG99Dg9qMFejz8ggSB6Dpt5ahTmGo

Effectively only the current top 4 stand a reasonable chance (23.98%) of winning Worlds, everyone else is hosed.

Is there any good reason to do it this way? This seems like totally insane.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Can separate them with commas, for example e:thb,eld gives you everything from Eldraine and Theros II

This is rad. And not in the syntax documentation, how'd you figure it out? Also I wish it worked to give lists of arguments to every command.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
FGC been doing double elimination tournaments for over a decade with no complaints. Whether DE is appropriate for Magic is one issue, but the format itself is innocuous.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Is there any good reason to do it this way? This seems like totally insane.

No IDs on a cut to top 8. No weird quadruple pair downs with too many rounds of r such a small number of players. They clearly didn't don't think through the relegation structure though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

This is rad. And not in the syntax documentation, how'd you figure it out? Also I wish it worked to give lists of arguments to every command.

I'm not sure how I figured it out. The old magiccards.info site may have used that syntax, otherwise it would have just been a bit of trial and error.

Scryfall's search engine can get super-specific if you want it to, and it feels like every time I read the syntax guide there's a new search option available. Check it out if you haven't looked in a while.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
challenger decks are up https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/challenger-decks-2020-02-15

no teferi in fires is a miss but its the only one with a shock in it so w/e. nice to see fabled passage and embercleave show up

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

tinaun posted:

challenger decks are up https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/challenger-decks-2020-02-15

no teferi in fires is a miss but its the only one with a shock in it so w/e. nice to see fabled passage and embercleave show up

Sold my embercleaves this week.... hell yeah.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Oh hey a source for non-foil Kenriths that isn't collectors boosters.

It's not like he's insanely expensive but that's a nice precedent for next time they print a completely ridonkulous bab.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

tinaun posted:

Not a Standard player but these seem pretty decent. If I didn't already own Bonecrushers I'd be half-tempted to buy the mono-red one and slowly retool it to Pioneer Red Midrange.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

tinaun posted:

Brazen borrower in the flash deck is also a good inclusion

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The mono red one seems to be exactly 3 Embercleaves away from being a tier one deck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dehtraen posted:

Brazen borrower in the flash deck is also a good inclusion

You also get three copies of current $3 uncommon Aether Gust, and another two copies of the other $3 uncommon Mystical Dispute, so that might bring those down a bit (which would be nice).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I don't even play standard, but I'm probably going to snag a copy of that Flash deck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Those decks are really good. Are they normally that good?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

No Wave posted:

Those decks are really good. Are they normally that good?

the challenger decks are normally tier 1-2ish, but missing a few key cards, good for FNM level play

here's last year's, for comparison

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Sold my embercleaves this week.... hell yeah.

God shut up about selling cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShaneB posted:

God shut up about selling cards.

:fuckoff:. :justpost:

Of all the dumb things for you to bitch about.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sickening posted:

Of all the stupid poo poo to throw a tantrum over, this is the one you pick?

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Sickening posted:

As of today I have sold 13k in singles on tcgplayer alone. Feeeeeels great.

thats cool... i sold 14k...no big deal though..

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

My favorite thing about game pieces... is selling them... yeah...

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I thought the arena thread was supposed to be the bad one

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
you cant sell or trade cards in arena so you dont have these tangents there

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

i meant the slap fight more than the subject matter

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Wafflecopper posted:

They're all the bad one.

kalvanoo posted:

thats cool... i sold 14k...no big deal though..

I sold... 6.9 x 10^4 so you know

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

We are not impressed by you selling cards.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

It's definitely better to sell crack than to smoke it imo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Not looking through the lists as they are there, these decks suffer from the usual problem where a big chunk of them will rotate out in September?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ilmucche posted:

Not looking through the lists as they are there, these decks suffer from the usual problem where a big chunk of them will rotate out in September?

You could say this about literally every playable deck in the format.

If you're just buying to break them up for value, it varies by deck. The Fires deck only has 7 rares + Kenrith that survive rotation, but the mono-red deck keeps 15 rares + Embercleave (and, honestly, will probably still be a playable strategy post-rotation, just because red aggro always is).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Wafflecopper posted:

arena thread is the good one because there's no commander or legacy on arena

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Jabor posted:

You could say this about literally every playable deck in the format.

If you're just buying to break them up for value, it varies by deck. The Fires deck only has 7 rares + Kenrith that survive rotation, but the mono-red deck keeps 15 rares + Embercleave (and, honestly, will probably still be a playable strategy post-rotation, just because red aggro always is).

If they're cheap enough them I have something I can jam at standard that isn't awful is what I'm thinking.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Wafflecopper posted:

This thread is unquestionably the containment unit for bad ideas and rude posting, the arena thread and commander thread are 100% more helpful and polite, it’s not close lol.

ilmucche posted:

If they're cheap enough them I have something I can jam at standard that isn't awful is what I'm thinking.

The G/B adventures one is mostly Eldraine stuff so it’s darn close to rotation proof, and that deck is fun because you get to draw a ton of cards and do big damage.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I'm going to start playing EDH so I can go poo poo up those threads

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
being so bitter about people playing and discussing a format of the same game we're all here to discuss is actually pretty weird and bad hth

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think making fun of EDH players whips rear end

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fadam posted:

Yeah, but honestly only when you’re playing EDH. Any other time and you’re just an old man yelling at clouds.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

fadam posted:

:yeshaha:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Framboise posted:

being so bitter about people playing and discussing a format of the same game we're all here to discuss is actually pretty weird and bad hth

Play what you want but EDH is the reason why they print more and more legendary creatures (Gavin mentioned a week or so ago that they're going out of their way to offer "more options" to commander players) in Standard sets, which sucks. I had a pretty sweet UB draft deck the other week with Protean Thaumaturge and a bunch of strong creatures. Except they were all legendary, even poo poo like Thryx, Alirios and Aphemia.

I get it though, EDH is the only paper format still selling heaps of cards and if I were WotC I'd milk the hell out of it, too. Just kinda irks me when it actively makes limited and regular constructed formats worse (re: Massacre Girl and Questing Beast being legendary?!?)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
just because you drafted poorly doesn't mean it would be better to let green have a board of four questing beasts at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Of all the nonsense complaints I have ever read about EDH “more legendary creatures at lower rarity” is perhaps the dumbest

edit: I’m wrong, “it’s not real magic” is the dumbest, but this one is so fresh and exciting that I was struck by it!