Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Broke: binders full of women

Woke: binders thrown by women

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Would of been totally American to just say "Who cares it's Mexico.".

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
If you need any help convincing your parents and/or non-terminally online friends why Bloomberg is pure awful, this article may help convince them:

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1228693455284686848?s=19

Tried to copy the whole article for those without a post sub, but it got royally hosed up in the app. Anyway, some key quotes from a legal complaint filed against Bloomberg in the '90s:

quote:

44. Upon information and belief, in or about July 1993, Bloomberg heard that a female Company sales person, who had just had a baby, was having difficulty finding a nanny. He yelled loudly at her, in the presence of a large group of employees,“It’s a f------ baby! All it does is eat and s---! It doesn’t know the difference between you and anyone else! All you need is some black who doesn’t even have to speak English to rescue it from a burning building!” The sales person cried at hearing her employer say such things to her, in so public a manner.

quote:

23. Upon information and belief, in October 1989, Bloomberg was unhappy with the outcome of a business meeting. He said to a newly-hired female Company sales person, “If [the clients] told you to lay down and strip naked so they could f--- you, would you do that too?” He repeated similar words or substance at frequent intervals throughout the period of plaintiff’s employment.

quote:

89. On April 11, 1995 at approximately 11:20 a.m., Bloomberg was having a photograph taken with two female Company salespeople and a group of N.Y.U. Business School students, in the company snack area. When Bloomberg noticed Garrison standing nearby, he asked, “Why didn’t they ask you to be in the picture? I guess they saw your face.” Continuing his penchant for ridiculing recently married women in his employ, Bloomberg asked plaintiff, “How’s married life? You married?” Plaintiff responded that her marriage was great and was going to get better in a few months: that she was pregnant, and the baby was due the following September. He responded to her “Kill it!” Plaintiff asked Bloomberg to repeat himself, and again he said, “Kill it!” and muttered, “Great! Number 16!” suggesting to plaintiff his unhappiness that sixteen women in the Company had maternity-related status. Then he walked away.

quote:

18. Upon information and belief, in 1989, when a male Company salesperson was getting married, Bloomberg said to the female salespeople, “All of you girls line up to give him [oral sex] as a wedding present.” He repeated like words on several occasions in each of the years plaintiff was employed at the Company.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wow he was presidential before it was cool

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If you need any help convincing your parents and/or non-terminally online friends why Bloomberg is pure awful, this article may help convince them:

Tried to copy the whole article for those without a post sub, but it got royally hosed up in the app. Anyway, some key quotes from a legal complaint filed against Bloomberg in the '90s:

Something else is that he's a grown-rear end adult when he said this stuff, not just a dumb high schooler.

Also after reading this I'm thinking, we have Al Franken resign and then we end up with this poo poo?
Franken should run again imo

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 16, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

my old man tried to broach the subject of how he thought bloomberg was a good guy, and didn't understand why i loving blew up in his face because he's just a trump with a couple extra zeros in his bank account and would actually be able to accomplish his corruption schemes without putting it out there on the twitter. He'd be the Smart Trump that everyone should be legitimately afraid of, much more so than cheeto benito

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Bernie has rich dem "moderates" so shook they're tripping over themselves to support this piece of poo poo. What a bunch of pathetic worms.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

my old man tried to broach the subject of how he thought bloomberg was a good guy, and didn't understand why i loving blew up in his face because he's just a trump with a couple extra zeros in his bank account and would actually be able to accomplish his corruption schemes without putting it out there on the twitter. He'd be the Smart Trump that everyone should be legitimately afraid of, much more so than cheeto benito

loving :lol: man.

Your dad is gonna die on you, sooner than later, and your spending what years you have left “blowing up in his face” over the loving DNC primary.

Just hug him and love him and appreciate having him in your life because before you know it, none of the above will even be possible.

Nothing in the realm of politics should ever drive a wedge between you and your parents. If you can’t hold separate and differing views from your parents without a bunch of fights that speaks way more to your emotional maturity than anything else.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Shim dropping wisdom in this thread.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
That would be a valid point in a pre-Trump world.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

"if you can't hug it out with members of your family who vote to deport other members of your family / friends then it's on you"

Ehhh

Alternatively if your family are toxic shitbags and you feel better not being around them then I can say for certain you'll feel better letting them go.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

y'all making some Evil Kenevel-tier leaps from "got loud about an existential threat to the working class" to "disowned my parents"

however this is extremely true

quote:

Alternatively if your family are toxic shitbags and you feel better not being around them then I can say for certain you'll feel better letting them go.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
BRB guys, I’m just disowning my family to own the cons. Look how pure strain progressive I am. loving Republicans, Am I rite?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I’m not saying keep toxic pieces of poo poo in your life, I’m saying thinking and believing differently than you doesn’t make your family toxic pieces of poo poo.

I’m quite certain there are folks who have very good reason to keep their families out of their lives. I’m sure some or even many of those probably include political/social belief differences as a noteworthy characteristic.

What I’m saying is: Don’t hate anyone, let alone your family, for their political beliefs.

With the caveat of Nazi’s/Fascists. That’s political thinking you can and should hate. Localize Fascism/Nazism to whatever analogue exists in your part of the world.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Shim you’re dumb as hell

If your parent wants to vote in people who will destroy the world as much as possible even after your parent dies, they’re not being a good parent and don’t deserve a :decorum: hug

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’m not saying keep toxic pieces of poo poo in your life, I’m saying thinking and believing differently than you doesn’t make your family toxic pieces of poo poo.

I’m quite certain there are folks who have very good reason to keep their families out of their lives. I’m sure some or even many of those probably include political/social belief differences as a noteworthy characteristic.

What I’m saying is: Don’t hate anyone, let alone your family, for their political beliefs.

With the caveat of Nazi’s/Fascists. That’s political thinking you can and should hate. Localize Fascism/Nazism to whatever analogue exists in your part of the world.

I see where you're coming from for sure. Also to consider though is having to tacitly condone a family member directly loving over another family member and/or friends by not calling them out over it because of 'politics'. It's not some purity test thing.

At some point there's a line crossed that's just too far to keep accepting.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol.

Some peoples' families suck. There's a reason I live a thousand miles from any of mine, and it's not strictly their political beliefs. It's to a point where I'd gladly change my phone number and not give it to any of them.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

That Works posted:

I see where you're coming from for sure. Also to consider though is having to tacitly condone a family member directly loving over another family member and/or friends by not calling them out over it because of 'politics'. It's not some purity test thing.

At some point there's a line crossed that's just too far to keep accepting.

I have made it clear to my family that voting Trump is a line that can't be crossed.

Thankfully, they agree.

Meanwhile, eugenics is trending on Twitter. I wonder why that i--
https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/1228943686953664512

Oh.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Goddamn dick dorkins, that's a hell of a take.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lmao Dawkins with the straight " I do not see why mankind should not be as cruel as nature"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

dick dorkins off the top rope with another awful idea

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

That Works posted:

Lmao Dawkins with the straight " I do not see why mankind should not be as cruel as nature"

He's literally (like, the actual sentence in the post) saying that it can be opposed on moral grounds but genetically you could totally make a pug-person with a hosed up skull with enough years and inbreeding.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Laranzu posted:

He's literally (like, the actual sentence in the post) saying that it can be opposed on moral grounds but genetically you could totally make a pug-person with a hosed up skull with enough years and inbreeding.

Our knowledge of this stuff is so limited and the timescales to make it work for humans are so long that anyone who thinks it wouldn't backfire spectacularly is a dumbass.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Could an incomprehensibly advanced alien race productively practice eugenics on humanity? Sure.

Can any human society productively practice eugenics on its own people? Hahaha no.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Platystemon posted:

Could an incomprehensibly advanced alien race productively practice eugenics on humanity? Sure.

Can any human society productively practice eugenics on its own people? Hahaha no.

Eugenics is inherently ideological anyway, on the basis that "desired traits" is entirely subjective (even if solving for "desired trait" didn't also mean developing turbocancer at age 20), so the entire tweet is like a self-cancelling ouroboros.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Our knowledge of this stuff is so limited and the timescales to make it work for humans are so long that anyone who thinks it wouldn't backfire spectacularly is a dumbass.

Humans are just animals man. If you want taller ones just have tall ones gently caress and kill the short ones. Sure you will turn out turbo hosed organisms but so are dogs.

The rest is moral and political.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If I'm gathering right, I think he means humans are as susceptible to genetic homogenization as the cows we get milk from, the horses we watch race, that kind of poo poo.

So maybe dick dorkins thinks if aliens come to earth and start treating us like livestock or for strict entertainment purposes, they'd find some examples of humans that are superior for eating or watching run their obstacle course. It's not about individual performance at that point, but maintaining a standard that's capable of consistent results.

Think of it like grain for a second. There's a lot of corn/maize variants out there that are not grown agriculturally for a variety of reasons, left to the wild or small farming not using the largely generic yellow corn that the agriculture industry as a whole has stepped behind. People picked a strain for its' productivity, ability to withstand rot or drought, that kind of poo poo, then we went and hosed with the genetics of it to produce more and deal with shittier climates. Hell, we whittled ourselves down to one type of banana, it's not unimaginable that it can be done with anything else.

So yeah, if aliens were farming us for people steaks, they're probably going to want to homogenize us for consumption as a whole for their society to produce predictable results and maintain a consistent product. If you take the emotional reaction of our value for our differences away, we're all just tasty meat to some spaceship dealership owners' son.

Or maybe I just need to smoke a joint.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Laranzu posted:

While true, why is this something he feels the need to say on Twitter?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

SimonCat posted:

While true, why is this something he feels the need to say on Twitter?

Because he is the atheist version of Ben Shapiro

Edit: except actually kinda objectively right sometimes instead of entirely wrong always

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Laranzu posted:

I know.

It's the "I'm just asking questions" of takes.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

People steaks.

Or maybe I just need to smoke a joint.

Did you come up with this fine sci fi universe without having smoked a joint?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I haven't smoked since like, 8:30pm last night. Sobriety is breaking my brain.

Here's where I got the spaceship dealer from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM2G-TAmZG8

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 16, 2020

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Lol don't appease your lovely parents

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Lol don't appease your lovely parents

Yea, assuming youre a grown rear end adult leave the decorum poo poo for stuff that dont matter. If they vote a lovely direction call them out for it.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Unplug the ventilator 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I try not to let my parents’ lovely political opinions get me too angry despite how personally the results affect my family. I will laugh at my mom getting hit with a massive tax bill after claiming that Trump was looking out for schoolteachers like her, though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Old Boot posted:

I have made it clear to my family that voting Trump is a line that can't be crossed.

Thankfully, they agree.

Meanwhile, eugenics is trending on Twitter. I wonder why that i--
https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/1228943686953664512

Oh.

Except that eugenics isn't about breeding for meat production or hunting badgers. It's always been about prohibiting procreation for undesirable races and perceived intelligence and morality.
For a famous evolutionary biologist he sure doesn't know what the gently caress he's talking about.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The more important question to me is, even if you overlook the ethical issues, why would we even bother to try to breed humans to be harder/better/faster/stronger when we have machines to do that? Like I don't need to be able to run 60 mph when I can just hop in a car and do that. Biological evolution stopped being a concern when our ape ancestors started using stone tools.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

Except that eugenics isn't about breeding for meat production or hunting badgers. It's always been about prohibiting procreation for undesirable races and perceived intelligence and morality.
For a famous evolutionary biologist he sure doesn't know what the gently caress he's talking about.

It's the same thing with the physicists that made the bomb. They were there for the science of it.

Imagine if Oppenheimer had a Twitter account.

edit: the point I'm trying to make is that being an expert in the fundamental components (high energy physics, evolutionary biology, etc.) does not make you an expert in the application of said knowledge.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fister Roboto posted:

The more important question to me is, even if you overlook the ethical issues, why would we even bother to try to breed humans to be harder/better/faster/stronger when we have machines to do that? Like I don't need to be able to run 60 mph when I can just hop in a car and do that. Biological evolution stopped being a concern when our ape ancestors started using stone tools.

i've noticed that modern eugenics advocates often fetishize the genetic component of intelligence

e: yep, seems like Dawkins was talking about this because one of Boris Johnson's advisors said that intelligence is great so eugenics is great

https://twitter.com/ianbirrell/status/1228809833434042369

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 16, 2020