Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

When you have a history of getting called out for things that can easily be interpreted as racist, maybe don't touch eugenics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

i've noticed that modern eugenics advocates often fetishize the genetic component of intelligence

And we even have machines to do that! I mean, unless you want to start breeding mentats...

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

The more important question to me is, even if you overlook the ethical issues, why would we even bother to try to breed humans to be harder/better/faster/stronger when we have machines to do that? Like I don't need to be able to run 60 mph when I can just hop in a car and do that. Biological evolution stopped being a concern when our ape ancestors started using stone tools.

As someone whos eyes started getting bad in elementary school i am 100% behind genetic manipulation that fixes issues like that and food allergies and other genetic deficiencies. Just get in that dna and start playing with poo poo. Make it so every person can see uv or ir or 20/10 becomes the low end of human vision or somehow green hair is genetically passed down idgaf. Just as long as there isnt some bureau of reproductive affairs choosing who screws who im not concerned

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ironically, people like Dawkins are a great example of how intelligence is kind of a bullshit concept, at least in terms of it being a linear scale like IQ. There are lots of different kinds of intelligence. Dawkins clearly a smart dude when it comes to science, but he's completely incapable of reading the room and not saying stupid poo poo like this all the time, which I'd call low social intelligence.

brains
May 12, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

The more important question to me is, even if you overlook the ethical issues, why would we even bother to try to breed humans to be harder/better/faster/stronger when we have machines to do that? Like I don't need to be able to run 60 mph when I can just hop in a car and do that. Biological evolution stopped being a concern when our ape ancestors started using stone tools.

because it has nothing to do with harder/better/faster/stronger; it's about breeding out "undesirable" traits, like a genetic paper bag test, in order to eliminate those populations of people.

which of course is why no group of humans should be trusted to have that kind of power. it's one of the most extreme cases of hubris to think that we, as a society, can handle making those kinds of decisions and factor in all the potential generational impacts down the line.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

a good twitter thread that i learned things from:

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/Simon_Whitten/status/1228991240345137158

tl;dr is that eugenics failed for biological reasons that Dawkins should be aware of.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Youtube person Shaun has a long but good video on the subject of intelligence tests, which in part is key to understanding why those that say "why is eugenics bad? we're just trying to increase ~intelligence~!" are full of poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBc7qBS1Ujo

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Those poors won't be so impoverished once we eliminate the poor gene

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Those poors won't be so impoverished once we eliminate the poor gene

Won't somebody think of the poor Genes?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm a microbiologist professor / PhD lifelong academic.

Dawkins is rear end. I've long hoped he would just stroke out at this point.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Dick Dorkins posted:

Dear Muslima,
Stop whining, will you. Yes, yes, I know you had your genitals mutilated with a razor blade, and... yawn... dont tell me yet again, I know you arent allowed to drive a car, and you cant leave the house without a male relative, and your husband is allowed to beat you, and youll be stoned to death if you commit adultery. But stop whining, will you. Think of the suffering your poor American sisters have to put up with. Only this week I heard of one, she calls herself Skepchick, and do you know what happened to her? A man in a hotel elevator invited her back to his room for coffee. I am not exaggerating. He really did. He invited her back to his room for coffee. Of course she said no, and of course he didnt lay a finger on her, but even so... And you, Muslima, think you have misogyny to complain about! For goodness sake grow up, or at least grow a thicker skin.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fister Roboto posted:

Ironically, people like Dawkins are a great example of how intelligence is kind of a bullshit concept, at least in terms of it being a linear scale like IQ. There are lots of different kinds of intelligence. Dawkins clearly a smart dude when it comes to science, but he's completely incapable of reading the room and not saying stupid poo poo like this all the time, which I'd call low social intelligence.

Being smart about one thing means you're smart all the time about everything. Now come on Fox and tell people why climate change is fake. After all, you're an engineer!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
my time working with physicians has convinced me that the circle of "people with advanced degrees" lies entirely within the circle of "people who think they know literally everything"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Stravag posted:

As someone whos eyes started getting bad in elementary school i am 100% behind genetic manipulation that fixes issues like that and food allergies and other genetic deficiencies. Just get in that dna and start playing with poo poo. Make it so every person can see uv or ir or 20/10 becomes the low end of human vision or somehow green hair is genetically passed down idgaf. Just as long as there isnt some bureau of reproductive affairs choosing who screws who im not concerned

This is the one upside and is as much in the grey area of eugenics as it is in just basic genetic manipulation. Problem one is that only wealthy people will ever have access to it. Problem two through a million is that people will use it to be racist, sexist, every sort of -ist possible because they are poo poo.

There also isn't a good way to enforce a law that says you can't choose to change your test tube babies appearance or other normal human traits.

Likely the best we can hope for in TYOL 2200 is that terminal illness like blindness, deafness, and turbo cancer are auto-screened and corrected with no human intervention or bias. But :lol: it will totally be "automatic skin whitening and breast enlargement" because humans are poo poo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Doc Hawkins posted:

a good twitter thread that i learned things from:

https://twitter.com/Simon_Whitten/status/1228991252106039302

This is not accurate. Maybe if you're talking about a movement within academia it would be, but popular eugenics laws and discussion was definitely also about selection for subjectively desirable traits.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

This is the one upside and is as much in the grey area of eugenics as it is in just basic genetic manipulation. Problem one is that only wealthy people will ever have access to it. Problem two through a million is that people will use it to be racist, sexist, every sort of -ist possible because they are poo poo.

There also isn't a good way to enforce a law that says you can't choose to change your test tube babies appearance or other normal human traits.

Likely the best we can hope for in TYOL 2200 is that terminal illness like blindness, deafness, and turbo cancer are auto-screened and corrected with no human intervention or bias. But :lol: it will totally be "automatic skin whitening and breast enlargement" because humans are poo poo.

blindness

deafness

terminal

:what:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Ok fine replace terminal with permanent as required.

If I knew my kid was going to be blind or deaf at birth I would fix it in a heartbeat.

E; My diopter is -7.25 so something close to 20/1000 equivalent and I don't think reasonable adult consent is something you need to warrant fixing that as a fetus.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 16, 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vasudus posted:

It's the same thing with the physicists that made the bomb. They were there for the science of it.

Imagine if Oppenheimer had a Twitter account.

edit: the point I'm trying to make is that being an expert in the fundamental components (high energy physics, evolutionary biology, etc.) does not make you an expert in the application of said knowledge.

I use the bomb example when I explain to my students the limitations of science. "Science tells you how to build a bomb, it can't tell you if you should use it."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I use the bomb example when I explain to my students the limitations of science. "Science tells you how to build a bomb, it can't tell you if you should use it."

My science, technology and society classes at university were pretty good at teaching me that there is no such thing as neutrality in technology. The act of telling someone how to build a bomb carries all the moral weight of building that bomb yourself. A different society in a different situation might have focused on using nuclear energy some other way than for creating a weapon of mass destruction.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 16, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What about if you buy your bomb? Plenty of ways to set off tannerite, and plenty of ways to figure out how to make more fun, bigger booming poo poo from something you can buy at an outdoors store.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When ze rockets go up, who cares where ze come down? Zat's not my department

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fallom posted:

My science, technology and society classes at university were pretty good at teaching me that there is no such thing as neutrality in technology. The act of telling someone how to build a bomb carries all the moral weight of building that bomb yourself. A different society in a different situation might have focused on using nuclear energy some other way than for creating a weapon of mass destruction.

Yeah, I couple it with when I tell them that even though I'm a science teacher, I value the humanities and ethics as fields of study higher than science.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Fallom posted:

I disagree. Knowledge- and the sharing thereof- doesn't mean that you are morally responsible for their actions. Obviously there are circumstances where you would be, but the knowledge and skills are neutral until acted on by an individual. A bomb can be used for good and bad, but the knowledge carries no moral burden on it's own.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

February 2020 Current Events: Your Trump-Touching Parents Should Have Eugenics-ed You

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Here's something I forgot about :

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1228914319825481728?s=19

Say what you will about Warren being a Republican until the '90s, Bloomberg endorsing and fundraising for a Republican Senator within the past decade should be completely disqualifying.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Current event: I just cooked another engine

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Lake of Methane posted:

February 2020 Current Events: Your Trump-Touching Parents Should Have Eugenics-ed You

There are some lovely dick pills they are selling on bad tv commercials called Nugenix but goddamn do the wife and I hear eugenics every time and do a double take over the fuckin tennis playing boomers suggesting eugenics makes their dick hard again.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Current event: I just cooked another engine

Engenics inaction.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Laranzu posted:

There are some lovely dick pills they are selling on bad tv commercials called Nugenix but goddamn do the wife and I hear eugenics every time and do a double take over the fuckin tennis playing boomers suggesting eugenics makes their dick hard again.

Nutgenetix

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Socially conservative mom says racy halftime entertainment drove distraught 13-year-old son to his bedroom

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Yeah. Certainly distraught I'm sure. Def had to take a timeout for like an hour or two. Maybe even three. Strive for greatness.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Kids in his room praying

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Kids in his room praying

To Aphrodite, sure.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

I disagree. Knowledge- and the sharing thereof- doesn't mean that you are morally responsible for their actions. Obviously there are circumstances where you would be, but the knowledge and skills are neutral until acted on by an individual. A bomb can be used for good and bad, but the knowledge carries no moral burden on it's own.

This thinking sets you up for situations like Silicon Era tech bros creating algorithms that end up implementing the modern-day version of redlining while claiming that mathematics can never be racist, or people like Elon Musk coming up with ideas for underground single-car tunnels that would only emphasize the gulf between the haves and the have-nots. These things weren't meant to have those outcomes, but because of what they are and what the designers did or didn't consider while making them their existence reinforces some damaging parts of our society. The creation of nuclear weapons reinforced the idea of the threat of massed civilian deaths as a means for making governments compliant, and the creators absolutely have part of that burden whether they thought their weapons would be used or not.

It's not necessarily about being good or bad. Solar and wind power are technologies that lend themselves well to decentralized societies, because they're inefficient when centrally located and managed but show their strengths in what they allow individuals or small populations to accomplish on their own. A nuclear or coal power plant carries with it the aspects of the centralized and hierarchical society that would be needed to supply it and operate it, and regulate it.

I think it's interesting to think about how technology reflects or contains aspects of the society that created it, and how the adoption of certain technologies drives specific forms of society. Think about it the next time you hear someone say that suburban living seems like a very American idea.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 16, 2020

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1228833455955464192?s=20

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

This timeline fuckin sucks

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I like the way Mr. Snrub thinks!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The halftime show last year was so bad my wife ended up taking a 30 minute shower just to wash the filth from her eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Next from Richard Dawkins: "you may have moral objections to it, but there's no biological reason why a person can't get all their nutritional needs from eating babies."