Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
most legendary creatures just feel contrived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All magic cards are “contrived”... almost by definition

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
like I don't know how you'd get to the conclusion that Questing Beast, a literal creature from legend with keywords for days, shouldn't be legendary unless you're the sort of person who goes 'okay commander is bad and evil so any decisions made because of commander must be lovely' and then just spins up your whine engines

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Bust Rodd posted:

All magic cards are “contrived”... almost by definition

yeah i know but i mean you can have legendary creatures without it being obvious they were conceived for edh, Questing Beast being a good example of that.

edit: im saying Questing Beast feels natural to the set. its an example of a legendary card that doesnt feel contrived

kalvanoo fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 16, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
noted unplayable card in standard, questing beast

what the gently caress is going on today lmao

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

Play what you want but EDH is the reason why they print more and more legendary creatures (Gavin mentioned a week or so ago that they're going out of their way to offer "more options" to commander players) in Standard sets, which sucks. I had a pretty sweet UB draft deck the other week with Protean Thaumaturge and a bunch of strong creatures. Except they were all legendary, even poo poo like Thryx, Alirios and Aphemia.

I get it though, EDH is the only paper format still selling heaps of cards and if I were WotC I'd milk the hell out of it, too. Just kinda irks me when it actively makes limited and regular constructed formats worse (re: Massacre Girl and Questing Beast being legendary?!?)
I don't think any of those cards are super exciting as EDH commanders. I assume them printing more complex legendaries at lower rarities is in response to the good reception of Dominaria rather than anything to do with EDH.

IMO the best example of designing for EDH hurting standard is Golos.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bust Rodd posted:

edit: I’m wrong, “it’s not real magic” is the dumbest, but this one is so fresh and exciting that I was struck by it!

It's not real magic, it's an arbitrary set of rules created by an outside organization.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I appreciate them using the Legendary supertype on lower power cards for good flavor.

Like Alirios.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never thought about questing beast in the context of edh but now I'm wondering what the 99 would look like with QB as the Commander. Doesn't really have any obvious synergies but always having access to it could be pretty powerful. Might be too narrow since it's quite explicitly a Planeswalker hate card

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think part of Questing Beast's thing that justifies being legendary is that it has 3 keywords and none of them are primary in green. Deathtouch I think slants only slightly toward black, but haste is rare in green to the point you'd be forgiven for thinking it was unprecedented in the colour.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
"there are more legendary creatures than i would like to have" is a valid opinion, but it is also a trash argument that does not explain the unwarranted aggression toward people who play edh in this thread

like at some point, the shitposts stop being shitposts and just become open hostility

The Clowner posted:

I never thought about questing beast in the context of edh but now I'm wondering what the 99 would look like with QB as the Commander. Doesn't really have any obvious synergies but always having access to it could be pretty powerful. Might be too narrow since it's quite explicitly a Planeswalker hate card

questing beast is not particularly good in commander as a commander or as part of the 99. it's legendary because it's a pushed 4 drop where multiples would probably make it too strong, especially when green is already pushed enough as it is in standard right now

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It’s interesting that people poo poo on basically every format in this thread and players of those formats don’t care but if you tease EDH players they fill their diapers and complain about hostility and discrimination. Indicative of the weak mind and poor moral character endemic to players of baby formats imo :coolfish:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It's pretty funny and sad, actually. I checked in at edhrec and looked at the Top EDH Cards list, which they base off tens of thousands of decks, most of which are extremely casual (to the point where the first thing I do looking at commanders is filter out the 60-70% of decks with Reliquary Tower and Temple of the False God). Sure, Sol Ring is #1 with a bullet, but I'd be surprised if more than a handful of people in this thread could name one of The EDH Boogeymen: Cards printed since EDH got brought in-house that see broad play in EDH. Ya know, Dirty EDH Cards Cloghin' Up My Boosters Where More Teferis Should Be.

• Smothering Tithe
  • Cyclonic Rift
  • Rhythm of the Wilds
  • Anguished Unmaking
  • Dovin's Veto
  • Utter End
  • Merciless Eviction
  • Reclamation Sage
  • Assassin's Trophy
  • Swan Song

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
i dont think wotc proving incapable of something should preclude the possibility that they were trying to do it

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Judging by Modern Horizons and basically every Standard set from the last 5 years, I'd say that's not at all unique to EDH.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

kalvanoo posted:

i dont think wotc proving incapable of something should preclude the possibility that they were trying to do it

otoh you could rephrase that as "I think wotc was trying to do X, and they're so bad at doing X that it doesn't even look like they're doing X!!"

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

It should be called The Questing Beast because it's legendary. Aside from that, I only care about cube so you can do whatever you want with legendaries, WotC designers.

edit: actually, the more busted legendaries I feel obliged to include in cube gives Kiki-Jiki less targets, so I don't like them as much now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Crackbone posted:

It's not real magic, it's an arbitrary set of rules created by an outside organization.
imo once wotc supports it this doesnt matter

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How do people feel about the current standard? Playing around with a few decks they seemed interesting but some like the Fires deck felt a little clunky sometimes.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

How do people feel about the current standard? Playing around with a few decks they seemed interesting but some like the Fires deck felt a little clunky sometimes.

Seems aight. There’s a really good UW control deck and a really good RDW deck which I think is usually a good sign of a healthy-ish format imo.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Game sucks. Everything sucks.

This standard seems fine without Oko.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fadam posted:

Seems aight. There’s a really good UW control deck and a really good RDW deck which I think is usually a good sign of a healthy-ish format imo.

UW seems like the best it has been in a crazy long time and while I dislike a lot going on with the game that makes me pretty happy with the health of standard, at least.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think it’s also a good sign that both decks are good but don’t have anything quite as obnoxious as Teferi or Whirler.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Seems fine. Simic is probably the best deck overall but not so overpowered that you can't just run whatever you want from the rest of the Tier 1 or 2 stuff.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

an_mutt posted:

It should be called The Questing Beast because it's legendary. Aside from that, I only care about cube so you can do whatever you want with legendaries, WotC designers.

edit: actually, the more busted legendaries I feel obliged to include in cube gives Kiki-Jiki less targets, so I don't like them as much now.

I utterly despise the convention of putting "The" on legendary cards. I'm playing a The Scarab God. Ugh, my neuroses

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

You're playing THE Questing Beast. THE Scarab God.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

flatluigi posted:

just because you drafted poorly

:cawg:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

an_mutt posted:

You're playing THE Questing Beast. THE Scarab God.

I'm playing one of the four questing beasts in my deck. A questing beast among many. I often play a Teferi too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Running a few Nicols Bolas.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have Nicol's Bolas hanging on my truck.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

sit on my Facebook posted:

I utterly despise the convention of putting "The" on legendary cards. I'm playing a The Scarab God. Ugh, my neuroses

Do you refer to friends and other things with pronouns that way?

If I’m like a unique legendary person my friends say I’m going to hang with [the] uggy not an uggy. Same poo poo

uggy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 16, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

It’s interesting that people poo poo on basically every format in this thread and players of those formats don’t care but if you tease EDH players they fill their diapers and complain about hostility and discrimination. Indicative of the weak mind and poor moral character endemic to players of baby formats imo :coolfish:

:emptyquote:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

uggy posted:

If I’m like a unique legendary person my friends say I’m going to hang with [the] uggy not an uggy. Same poo poo

Your friends are so mean.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Star Man posted:

I have Nicol's Bolas hanging on my truck.

Dollop about the truck bolas war when?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think standard is not amazing but fine. Fires is a weird deck, it kindof feels like Hearthstone in that you're just jamming poo poo and hoping it's enough to beat your opponent, and once you assemble Teferi and Fires no-one is doing anything on the opponent's turn.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

an_mutt posted:

Aaron Forsythe copped to this on Twitter, voting that they weren’t considering how people who hadn’t been immersed in developing the format would perceive that creature as not being unique.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

it must be an act of god that a person can be so disingenuous and not spontaneously collapse under the weight of the irony resulting from it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

turns out picking up and maindecking a card with bad synergy with the rest of your deck isn't wizard's fault, sorry

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

uggy posted:

Do you refer to friends and other things with pronouns that way?

Is it The Thalia, Heretic Cathar? I'm also playing four The Scarab Gods. Four The Scarabs God. Four Gods Scarab?

These are the things that fill my The Brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

sit on my Facebook posted:

Is it The Thalia, Heretic Cathar? I'm also playing four The Scarab Gods. Four The Scarabs God. Four Gods Scarab?

These are the things that fill my The Brain

clearly questing beast must be a proper name-- first name questing, last name beast

meanwhile, the scarab god's middle name must be scarab so like many people, they can use that as a nickname