Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Astounding, really, turning "IntSys has, especially in recent history, been garbage at writing gay people and I don't trust them to take the crit they need to improve their writing of sexual minorities" into "I don't think they should do better", really proves you're arguing in good faith

E: Like, why should all of their settings have comphet? That's on the writers for constantly returning to that to avoid having to acknowledge that people who are strictly gay exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

But this game and echoes show massive improvement in that department and you're the one who immediately took people's legitimate grievances with that kind of writing and said they shouldn't be in the fanbase, lol.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Ah, yes, because referring specifically to making all of the sewer rats bi is the same as referring to the entire cast

Like, that was the original context: just the Ashen Wolves. Not the rest of the cast. No one else. E: having the pick of outcasts be all explicitly queer is if anything far more realistic than the alternative

V I was not the one who was an rear end first, "dude". V

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 16, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres no need to be an rear end, dude

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I’d take everyone being bi over everyone being straight, but ideally there’d be a mix of bi and gay characters. Straights are fine if everyone is represented, but I personally wouldn’t miss them.

Hell, I’d also be down with more non-romantic endings like Hanneman and Lysithea and Alois and anyone and probably a bunch of others. Or ones that don’t commit either way, like Marianne and Raphael.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I’d take everyone being bi over everyone being straight, but ideally there’d be a mix of bi and gay characters. Straights are fine if everyone is represented, but I personally wouldn’t miss them.

Hell, I’d also be down with more non-romantic endings like Hanneman and Lysithea and Alois and anyone and probably a bunch of others. Or ones that don’t commit either way, like Marianne and Raphael.

Yeah, like personally why I'd be fine with everyone bi is that straights still feel like the default, with all the attention and flourishes and gays get the scraps. At least with everyone bi you can date your favorite dude or dudette, since they probably will just rewrite the straight S support anyway. At least I would be okay with the much smaller amount of same sex characters you can date if some of them were actually exclusively gay. But that hasn't happened so far. So idk. :shrug:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

considering that fodlan is explicitly against gay marriage (in the jp because lol translation) this makes sense to me.
I thought about this maybe being the case after making the post and yeah, it does.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Leonie has a lot of platonic endings and they are consistently the best, so clearly we need more of them. More endings where the characters just turn into clowns.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Part of it is also that “and then they traveled together forever” was like. The default ending for same sex paired endings in older FEs. In isolation it’s a perfectly romantic idea, it just feels over used.

I would also blame Treehouse though because they toned down some of the same sex endings and toned up some of the opposite sex endings because 2005 and 2019 are the exact same I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gotta say, I really like how the dlc is balanced in terms of your playable units. It really feels like everyone has a defined purpose. Hapi and Constance are your offensive mages, Hilda, Byleth, and Balthus are your big shitwreckers, Ashe and Claude are your archers, Dimitri and Edeglard are your tanks, Linhardt is your healer, and Yuri does a bit of everything and has enough mobility to be easy to get where he needs to be. Everyone even has different niches in their roles, like Claude flying but Ashe having increased range.

I do kinda wish there was maybe some variance in terms of who you can bring, just because it feels like the kind of thing you'll only ever play once, and so much of the game boils down to Edelgard facetanking everything that maybe another tank would have been good, since Dimitri isn't *that* tanky. Maybe Gilbert, lord knows that man could use some content, and it'd be fun to see him interacting with non-lions more. Plus in general having an adult down there for everyone to bounce off/completely fail to listen to would be fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

Part of it is also that “and then they traveled together forever” was like. The default ending for same sex paired endings in older FEs. In isolation it’s a perfectly romantic idea, it just feels over used.

I would also blame Treehouse though because they toned down some of the same sex endings and toned up some of the opposite sex endings because 2005 and 2019 are the exact same I guess.

There's basically like four FE endings ever ('he was a pillar of strength for the new kingdom,' 'he never picked up an axe again,' 'he vanished mysteriously,' 'they traveled together forever') and only recently have they gotten out of those tropes, in terms of endings. Heck, nobody in Three Houses even Vanishes Without A Trace!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Endorph posted:

There's basically like four FE endings ever ('he was a pillar of strength for the new kingdom,' 'he never picked up an axe again,' 'he vanished mysteriously,' 'they traveled together forever') and only recently have they gotten out of those tropes, in terms of endings. Heck, nobody in Three Houses even Vanishes Without A Trace!

I swear someone does, in a particular paired ending.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

Flayn and Lindhart both vanish in their paired ending but some years later their kids show up at the academy.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Endorph posted:

I do kinda wish there was maybe some variance in terms of who you can bring, just because it feels like the kind of thing you'll only ever play once, and so much of the game boils down to Edelgard facetanking everything that maybe another tank would have been good, since Dimitri isn't *that* tanky. Maybe Gilbert, lord knows that man could use some content, and it'd be fun to see him interacting with non-lions more. Plus in general having an adult down there for everyone to bounce off/completely fail to listen to would be fun.

Somehow my Dimitri ended up nearly as tanky as Edelgard. It was great, especially since he was a lance user and was good against all those sword enemies. Between the two of them I didn't feel like I needed another tank, but my Dimitri may have gotten lucky with his defense.

It is a shame that the DLC doesn't feel very replayable. It would help if the units had more reclass options, I think. Of course I think part of why I liked it was how tightly balanced it felt, so maybe extra units or class options would have taken away from that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Hunt11 posted:

Flayn and Lindhart both vanish in their paired ending but some years later their kids show up at the academy.

That's probably what I'm thinking of, they paired up in my first game.

Man I wonder what their kids would be like? Are they (flayn spoiler) immortal too? Can they transform? I guess the game doesn't really explain why their transformation powers got locked out.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Taear posted:

Lysithea also does, at least in her unpaired black eagles ending

And Marianne pulls off the rare midgame vanishing if you don’t recruit her :v:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Apparently Jeritza and Constance’s paired ending is him becoming her house husband, it’s [i]marvelous[i]

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Taear posted:

That's probably what I'm thinking of, they paired up in my first game.

Man I wonder what their kids would be like? Are they (flayn spoiler) immortal too? Can they transform? I guess the game doesn't really explain why their transformation powers got locked out.

It's implied that for Seteth and Flayn they basically used up what dragons powers they had just clinging to life after the war with Nemesis, which is also why they were asleep for 900 some odd years, they needed to heal.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/vo1ez/status/1229080464754790400

sukeban edelgard is an artisan crafted thought
:swoon:

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Apparently Jeritza and Constance’s paired ending is him becoming her house husband, it’s marvelous
Now I can't help but imagine Jeritza as this guy, amazing

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

Tbh i prefer how three houses handles it to 'everyone is bi lol.' Everyone feels like they have sexualities that manifest in different waya based on who theyre with and their own self perceptions/experiences. Itd be great if there were like, 2-3 exclusively gay characters but i vastly prefer the current dichotomy to everyone being bi.

I also love the touch that some characters are gay but not gay for the player character.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

I also love the touch that some characters are gay but not gay for the player character.

If anything I think the weirdest thing about Three Houses' sexual politics is that everyone of the opposite sex is potentially interested in Byleth. It feels like there should be more people who are straight, but not interested in Byleth, just like how it works for the bi characters.

Well, that and the whole "professor dating their students" thing. I guess that's a lot worse, really.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

there's a five year gap and you fight a literal war together afterwards, the professor thing is basically a non-issue imo

especially since Byleth is 21 and some of the students are literally older than them

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013
Did IS just forget Sothis existed or could they not get her voice actor in for the DLC? Makes no sense she never comments on any of this.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah they really sidestep any issues with dating students given how Byleth is roped into teaching, their age, and the gap.

Basileus777 posted:

Did IS just forget Sothis existed or could they not get her voice actor in for the DLC? Makes no sense she never comments on any of this.

same reason Jeralt never shows up in the DLC even if it'd make a ton of sense for him to do so. And him not reading the title cards threw me off.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It could also be their Japanese voice actors they couldn’t get.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The DLC has the same problem with Jeralt, I definitely think there must have been some VA contract issues.

E: Welp.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tbh i wouldnt be surprised if hilda, ashe, and linhardt were there primarily because they could get their VAs. All their JP VAs are young and not that big.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Has IntSys announced if they're going to be releasing anything else for Three Houses? Kinda hoping that they're able to patch in some more supports for some of the DLC characters.

I'm pretty satisfied with the game as-is, but it would be nice if they gradually added a few more supports over time (as well as other content, but really i'm just here for the supports.)

Also, a little bit of a shame that Constance doesn't have a support with Lorenz, but i'll take Constance/Ferdinand.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Okay, I will for once not use Lysie. Constance and Happi are in my party regardless, sorry Dorathea."

"Why the gently caress does Hubert have more speed than Petra at a lower level (14 at level 9??)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

Has IntSys announced if they're going to be releasing anything else for Three Houses? Kinda hoping that they're able to patch in some more supports for some of the DLC characters.

I'm pretty satisfied with the game as-is, but it would be nice if they gradually added a few more supports over time (as well as other content, but really i'm just here for the supports.)

Also, a little bit of a shame that Constance doesn't have a support with Lorenz, but i'll take Constance/Ferdinand.
Considering the random Jeritza/Bernie support added in this patch I imagine it's the last bit of content for this game. Especially since they'll probably announce the next FE at the FE Expo in May.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

Considering the random Jeritza/Bernie support added in this patch I imagine it's the last bit of content for this game. Especially since they'll probably announce the next FE at the FE Expo in May.

At best we maybe get another wave of dlc before the next one comes out btu I doubt it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean I don't really know what you'd add, frankly this one was kinda stretching it. Like some of the costumes are cool but does anyone care about there being five 'do the generic bandit battles' quests at the monastery. jeritza and the ashen wolf stuff was the only content of any substance and they gave jeritza away

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

I mean I don't really know what you'd add, frankly this one was kinda stretching it. Like some of the costumes are cool but does anyone care about there being five 'do the generic bandit battles' quests at the monastery. jeritza and the ashen wolf stuff was the only content of any substance and they gave jeritza away

tbh I just want more supports

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah it’s time for next FE now. The real question is whether it will be a remake or a completely new game.

Either way it will likely use 3H’s engine because development costs.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013
War Monk could have been an interesting class for a character with high strength and a spell list with nice utility spells to use. It's a shame that no such unit exists. Not a single character with blue arrows in brawling has a faith spell list that's any good. The way they designed the spell lists in this game undercut any real usability for hybrid classes.

Basileus777 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 17, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Basileus777 posted:

War Monk could have been an interesting class for a character with high strength and a spell list with nice utility spells to use. It's a shame that no such unit exists. Not a single character with blue arrows in brawling have a faith spell list that's any good. The way they designed the spell lists in this game undercut any real usability for hybrid classes.

blue arrows are fake and for cops. make bernie punch

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Endorph posted:

blue arrows are fake and for cops. make bernie punch

Bernie's has physic and nothing else! She'd be a bad fit for the class even if she could punch like Raphael.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Annette could be good in it. She doesn’t have an affinity for brawling, but she does for axes.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

Annette could be good in it. She doesn’t have an affinity for brawling, but she does for axes.

She still has no utility spells other than 1 range recover, which would be the thing you'd want out of spell casting in a brawling class. Like Manuela or Constance have the spell lists you'd want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Manuela might actually be a decent choice tbh.