Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sunset Overdrive's movement system is amazing once you've unlocked everything. Especially compared to SR4 since you actually have to engage with it rather than just jumping over everything.
I wasn't a fan of the humour bit the actual gameplay is top notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Prototype is better than SR4 because the way the jump is handled.
You press the button and continue to rise until you let go or hit the limit of your jump.

In SR4 you charge the jump and pray it was enough. It sucks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have never done a qte for cutting an umbilical cord. Thank you David Cage for being a genius

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

sleeping dogs' entire last act was hilariously unfinished

Don't forget the dating subplots that don't go anywhere. You go on two dates with Emma Stone where the dialog references another date that never actually happened and then you never see or hear from her again. Same thing with the other dating options where it comes off as half baked because there's so little there.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They also have clothing with a “ladykiller bonus” which does nothing, beyond making you post on the internet to ask what the bonus does.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Those things are just part of an authentic Chinese cultural representation

That's why the untitled subtitle of sleeping dogs is "no Wei"

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Also recommending Sunset Overdrive for fans of goofy open world games. It really does feel like a lost Saint's Row game at times with the wacky weapons and humor. It's also probably the most punk game I've played since the Tony Hawk games. :rock:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My dream game would be a Tony Hawk/Saints Row mashup. Claim territory by tricking off enough objects in it, then do a grind-by shooting on some rival gangsters.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Thats almost sunset overdrive, except instead of claiming territory you do it to dodge bullets and build a combo that activates cool poo poo.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Elfface posted:

My dream game would be a Tony Hawk/Saints Row mashup. Claim territory by tricking off enough objects in it, then do a grind-by shooting on some rival gangsters.

You'd love Sunset Overdrive because it is basically that. Only instead of claiming territory via sick tricks you get power ups and instead of doing grindbys on gangsters it's mutants that drank a tainted energy drink instead, and the weapon selection is right out of the Ratchet and Clank series only with the batshit insanity turned up to 11, like a gun that shoots exploding teddy bears or a sprinkler system that sprays acid. Your first gun is a blunderbuss that sets dudes on fire, oh and it looks like a dick and balls.

wafflemoose has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Feb 16, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Haha, it's always fun to discover my mental image of a game is completely wrong. In this case knowing nothing beyond the name "Sunset Overdrive" and a vague feeling that's it's just another crime game, when it turns out to be a post-"awesomepocalypse" setting with stuff like

wafflemoose posted:

a gun that shoots exploding teddy bears or a sprinkler system that sprays acid.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Captain Hygiene posted:

Haha, it's always fun to discover my mental image of a game is completely wrong. In this case knowing nothing beyond the name "Sunset Overdrive" and a vague feeling that's it's just another crime game, when it turns out to be a post-"awesomepocalypse" setting with stuff like

wait till you hear about how good Disco Elysium is

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

flatluigi posted:

wait till you hear about how good Disco Elysium is

I already went through my realization for that one, lol. I actually like that title in context, but man does it ever feel like it's lost in a sea of indie titles too numerous to bother researching, when you see it without any information about it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

I already went through my realization for that one, lol. I actually like that title in context, but man does it ever feel like it's lost in a sea of indie titles too numerous to bother researching, when you see it without any information about it.

The original name No Truce With the Furies stood out way better.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Not only do you get to ride an elephant in Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, you can also give it fruit!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Elfface posted:

More people need to play my favourite Tony Hawk game, American Wasteland. You trick off things so that you break them off and take them to a formerly vacant lot that becomes the Ultimate skatepark, the titular American Wasteland. I love watching AW gradually grow and seeing how all the different items get incorporated into the parks overall design. Also it has a great story that shows why the whole "gently caress the man!" thing on it's own is insufficient. It's one thing to say it and do petty damage, but eventually The Man will come in with more money than you and steamroll you, so the ending involves beating them at their own game by buying the land yourself because now it's profitable due to the skate park you built the owner of the land has taken an interest in using it after years of ignoring it..

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BioEnchanted posted:

More people need to play my favourite Tony Hawk game, American Wasteland. You trick off things so that you break them off and take them to a formerly vacant lot that becomes the Ultimate skatepark, the titular American Wasteland. I love watching AW gradually grow and seeing how all the different items get incorporated into the parks overall design. Also it has a great story that shows why the whole "gently caress the man!" thing on it's own is insufficient. It's one thing to say it and do petty damage, but eventually The Man will come in with more money than you and steamroll you, so the ending involves beating them at their own game by buying the land yourself because now it's profitable due to the skate park you built the owner of the land has taken an interest in using it after years of ignoring it..

I just wish there was a decent way to play Tony Hawk games on PC.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Inzombiac posted:

I just wish there was a decent way to play Tony Hawk games on PC.

the best way to play tony hawk games is on pc

http://thugpro.com/

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Tragic how the Outer Whorls looks like it's gonna drop completely off the map.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I like how the girlfriend sub missions confirm Wei Shen is an irredeemable psychopath, especially when one of them points it out and he gets really confused

Edit: oh everyone stopped talking about sleeping dogs already :(

Convex has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Feb 16, 2020

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

flatluigi posted:

the best way to play tony hawk games is on pc

http://thugpro.com/

I wish there was a way to actually get Thug 2 on PC other than :filez: or something.

I'm absolutely dying for a good tony hawk game, and a good SSX game for that matter

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The original name No Truce With the Furies stood out way better.

Oh yeah, I knew there was some better name I was trying to remember. That one's really good, except for just completely opening the door for furries jokes, I read it wrong half the time even knowing what the actual word is.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Convex posted:

I like how the girlfriend sub missions confirm Wei Shen is an irredeemable psychopath, especially when one of them points it out and he gets really confused

I think this was also well shown through gameplay. One of your missions is basically stalking someone you dated and you catch her with another guy. When you confront her she turns it around and points out how you’re doing the same thing by going on dates with multiple girls.

The real kicker is that after the mission ends the person who breaks up with you is still right in front of you and everyone I’ve seen play that part (including myself) immediately attacks her in some way.

Granted, I’m sure there are also people who walked away without harming her, but the game seemed to be egging you on to commit an act of violence in a fit of rage.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh yeah, I knew there was some better name I was trying to remember. That one's really good, except for just completely opening the door for furries jokes, I read it wrong half the time even knowing what the actual word is.
people thinking it was a furry thing was apparently one of the reasons they changed it. I liked it more too

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Convex posted:

Personally I died laughing the DLC Year of the Snake after the main game had Shen, who had run rampant through Hong Kong and gotten his superior busted, rewarded by being busted down to beat cop. Didn't stay that way of course, but the opening cutscene had me cackling, especially since you could see on Shen's face when he was stuck writing tickets and handling arguments how much he wanted to be killing those people :D. The fact it was the DLC that introduced the cop uniforms to wear undercover in the main game was just icing on the cake.

Sleeping Dogs as a whole really did a good job evoking the thematic feel they wanted; I still remember one of the last plot missions leaping over cover in slow motion in a massive firefight and realizing it really was the action finale of a Hong Kong flick I was in. Though MAN was Shen vicious with his kung fu, though I suppose listening to his teacher mock his students I can see where that came from.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ilmucche posted:

I found the random brawling tournaments (have definitive edition) do I need to beat all of those to unlock the big tournament?

I think you need to hit a certain point in the story before it unlocks.

Leal posted:

What if batman had a gun

They answered that in a Knight DLC.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Given how much of sleeping dogs was rushed, its amazing that it worked at all. But tearing around Hong Kong listening to Beep Street will never get old, and the parts that work well REALLY work well.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Forget Prototype, it’s just a poser that copied its movement style from Hulk Ultimate Destruction.

It’s criminal that there hasn’t been another goofy Hulk game. To infiltrate a military base you smash a truck over Hulk so he can waddle in like it’s a goddamn MGS cardboard box.

Hulk very good at stealth.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bussamove posted:

Forget Prototype, it’s just a poser that copied its movement style from Hulk Ultimate Destruction.

It’s criminal that there hasn’t been another goofy Hulk game. To infiltrate a military base you smash a truck over Hulk so he can waddle in like it’s a goddamn MGS cardboard box.

Hulk very good at stealth.

I remember one of the bosses was a Hulked-out US soldier who threw grenades and would stop mid-fight to salute.

EDIT: Okay, I just looked up that fight to post the video, and I can't find it. Maybe it's in another Hulk game?

Screaming Idiot has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Feb 17, 2020

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Lechtansi posted:

Given how much of sleeping dogs was rushed, its amazing that it worked at all. But tearing around Hong Kong listening to Beep Street will never get old, and the parts that work well REALLY work well.

I still maintain that Sleeping Dogs has one of the best radios every in an open world game. Maybe even the absolute best. It had some fantastic songs for driving through a moody, rain-slicked Hong Kong night.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Screaming Idiot posted:

I remember one of the bosses was a Hulked-out US soldier who threw grenades and would stop mid-fight to salute.

EDIT: Okay, I just looked up that fight to post the video, and I can't find it. Maybe it's in another Hulk game?

That might have been the one based on the Ang Lee film?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Nah, Wei Shen, like Kiryu Kazuma, has never killed anyone in his life.
Yakuza 4 had a side mission with a suicidal guy on a rooftop who turns violent when you go up and talk to him. Yakuza 4 also has a contextual heat move where you throw your opponent off the roof.

Detective Tanimura, you are a credit to the force.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yakuza 4 had a side mission with a suicidal guy on a rooftop who turns violent when you go up and talk to him. Yakuza 4 also has a contextual heat move where you throw your opponent off the roof.

Detective Tanimura, you are a credit to the force.

Clearly that's an assisted suicide and not murder :pseudo:.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

MadDogMike posted:

Personally I died laughing the DLC Year of the Snake after the main game had Shen, who had run rampant through Hong Kong and gotten his superior busted, rewarded by being busted down to beat cop. Didn't stay that way of course, but the opening cutscene had me cackling, especially since you could see on Shen's face when he was stuck writing tickets and handling arguments how much he wanted to be killing those people :D. The fact it was the DLC that introduced the cop uniforms to wear undercover in the main game was just icing on the cake.

The worst thing about being demoted to a beat cop is that even the pork bun vendor heckles you. I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY FRIEND BRO ; _ ;

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bussamove posted:

I get sad every time I think about how long it's been :smith:
That game was legit good, especially given its generation, and it'd do perfectly on modern hardware. Spidey got his awesome update, why not Hulk?

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
In my.....jesus.....35-ish years of video game playing, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction on the Gamecube is still the only game that's ever made my hands cramp up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best part of the 2007 Hulk movie was when they stole the Ultimate Destruction move where he rips a car in half and uses the halves as weighted gloves

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

In my.....jesus.....35-ish years of video game playing, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction on the Gamecube is still the only game that's ever made my hands cramp up.

AKA Hulk Hands.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

The GameCube controller has so many good ideas but it’s so small. If it was 50 percent bigger it would be perfect. It’s a real problem with Nintendo controllers, the split joycons are unusably small for me.

Yes, I loved the original Xbox controller, why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Sleeping Dogs is a fuckin great game that really found the ideal balance for a GTA-style open world game. The brawling was awesome, the shooting worked well and the parkour and driving were fun too. Plus it had a solid story that didn’t try to own the player with lame gotchas like GTA5.

It also has a mission where you mess with the feng shui of a character named Two Chins in order to make him believe that his house is haunted.