Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

walrusman posted:

Most egregious one I've ever seen. He could have been on fire and rushing to jump in a lake, with the Pope and Mr. Rogers begging everyone to stay seated and let him by, and a dozen people still would have obliviously jumped up the second the seatbelt sign went off and blithely ignored the sizzling and screaming behind them as they futzed with their overhead luggage.

Another dozen people now have urgent connecting flights they need to catch to their triplets' first father-daughter egg and spoon race and need to be given highest priority, thanks. Oh, which father-daughter egg and spoon race? It's the Mumblemumble City championships in Mumblemumblestan, you would not have heard of it but it's very special to me, don't bother googling as they don't have a website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Why wasn't the guy a Navy Green Beret?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Nth Doctor posted:

Why wasn't the guy a Navy Green Beret?

Because that man was Albert Einstein, whom we know to be a US Marine. Try to keep up with all the poo poo that isn’t happening, dude.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Jurgan posted:

I know using Trump is generally cheating, but it's not every day the POTUS tells a literal "everyone stood up and clapped" STDH:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-geraldo-rivera-interview-white-house-vindman-applause

Remember when this sort of insanely stupid bullshit was the part of entertainment shows and not reality?

(pssssst those parts of entertainment exist because it has always been well known how dangerous people who actually act like this are pssssssssssst)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moX3z2RJAV8

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A father-daughter dance is meant to matter that much to a planeload of people? Why not pick a better lie like he had to rush to the hospital or whatever. Something that would actually matter to anyone.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Believable because Americans clap at loving anything on a plane, and also have some weird obsession with daddy-daughter dances. But unbelievable because there's no way an entire plane full of people didn't leap to their feet the second the wheels hit the ground.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Biplane posted:

A father-daughter dance is meant to matter that much to a planeload of people? Why not pick a better lie like he had to rush to the hospital or whatever. Something that would actually matter to anyone.

Also what in the gently caress is a daddy daughter dance. If you love your daughter give her a tenner and let her go to her elementary school dance with her friends instead of convincing her this mortifying pageantry is of any significance whatsoever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

computer angel posted:

Also what in the gently caress is a daddy daughter dance. If you love your daughter give her a tenner and let her go to her elementary school dance with her friends instead of convincing her this mortifying pageantry is of any significance whatsoever.

Yeah that's not a thing? It's not a dance that's for elementary school kids. It's a dance that dad's take their daughters to specifically to dance with them.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Len posted:

Yeah that's not a thing? It's not a dance that's for elementary school kids. It's a dance that dad's take their daughters to specifically to dance with them.

That sounds horrible.
Why are Americans so loving weird?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Ah, in Europe.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

That sounds horrible.
Why are Americans so loving weird?

They have them in Canada also :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Biplane posted:

Chris Hansen was waiting in the terminal.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
in theory it's a cute "let's have some Dad Time" thing but much like the rest of hellworld, it was that for maybe ten seconds in an episode of Saved by the Bell or something and then it became creepy performative masculinity with a strong subtext of purity ball

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

As I understand it "Daddy-Daughter Dances" are the comparatively normal and wholesome version of Purity Balls.

As in, yeah it might be nice for some little girls to get dressed up and have a special dance and bonding time with their dads, but when you start to think about it, or scratch the surface, or take it more seriously than that, it gets very "Purity Ball" style creepy.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

As a father of two young daughters: I'm really creeped out by daddy daughter dances.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

anything that encourages guys to care about their opposite sex offspring is fine in my book.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I was kinda hoping father-daughter dances existed separately from creepy purity ball poo poo because it sounds pretty heartwarming on the surface. I know it likely isn’t though, which is too bad because it would probably be cute. Guess we’ll have to stick to diner “dates.”

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m a fan of the old triple Ds

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

oldpainless posted:

more like oldddpainless

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Double D's are cool, too.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

more like oldddpainless

Lmao

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

burial posted:

I was kinda hoping father-daughter dances existed separately from creepy purity ball poo poo because it sounds pretty heartwarming on the surface. I know it likely isn’t though, which is too bad because it would probably be cute. Guess we’ll have to stick to diner “dates.”

There's nothing won't with them inherently, don't let all the broke brains here project their weird hang ups on you.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

There's nothing won't with them inherently, don't let all the broke brains here project their weird hang ups on you.

Why do they seem to get more attention than mother-son dances, or same gender parent-kid dances?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

kimbo305 posted:

Why do they seem to get more attention than mother-son dances, or same gender parent-kid dances?

because dads are told by society to be disappointed when they have a daughter instead of a son

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

anything that encourages guys to care about their opposite sex offspring is fine in my book.

Not all caring is good or healthy though. The same kind of "caring" leads guys to become weirdly obsessed with who their daughter is dating, whether they're having sex, and other weirdly propertarian attitudes towards their female children that they absolutely do not apply to their sons. Like, on their own sure the dances are a fairly innocuous seeming tradition but they're part of a much wider and hosed up culture. It's similar to poo poo like guys asking their girlfriend's father for permission to propose.

There are lots of ways men can be encouraged to care about their daughters as people and not property. Like Take Your Daughter to Work Day, or school events.

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Feb 16, 2020

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

because dads are told by society to be disappointed when they have a daughter instead of a son

Similarly, I was both upset and understood when "girl dad " trended on Twitter because, like, that should just be part of being a loving father but for some reason it's accepted as being exceptional when a father is allowed to celebrate having a daughter. gently caress.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ravenfood posted:

Similarly, I was both upset and understood when "girl dad " trended on Twitter because, like, that should just be part of being a loving father but for some reason it's accepted as being exceptional when a father is allowed to celebrate having a daughter. gently caress.

Apparently the woman who trademarked that phrase and has been silently making clothes with that brand for years saw a massive uptick in sales because of it so good on her

https://www.cantonrep.com/news/20200209/girldad-north-canton-woman-trademarked-term-3-years-ago-to-honor-daughters

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Ravenfood posted:

A friend on social media has three sons and because of this I know #boymom is a major identity.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

bike tory posted:

Like, on their own sure the dances are a fairly innocuous seeming tradition but they're part of a much wider and hosed up culture. It's similar to poo poo like guys asking their girlfriend's father for permission to propose.

Lol, okay bud

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Kobe Bryant referred to himself as a “girl dad” because so many stupid people asked him if he was disappointed not to have had any sons. It was literally pushback on other people’s sexism, not him expecting backpats for being a decent parent.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
it's that thing Chris Rock joked about a million years ago, you don't get a medal for poo poo you're supposed to do. But you do, because it's the internet and there's a solid like...third of the world that genuinely thinks you should be disappointed to not Pass On Your Manly Lineage, so here we are, having to patiently remind everyone that yes, dads do indeed love their children, yes, even if they're girls, what the gently caress

Raisin
Feb 10, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Traditionally, girls are more encouraged to express their liking for dances than boys are.

Father daughter dances are basically for girls who think that dressing up and going to a dance is fun and grown-up, but are too young to be pressured into having dates or dancing with boys their own age. So the fathers go with their daughters, dance a little, and then mostly end up standing around drinking punch and talking to the other dads while the girls all dance in groups with their friends. Or at least that's how it was at the Girl Scout dances my council did every year.

Some people are kinda weird about it and get too excited to take pictures of the guy and his daughter on their "date" but they're outliers.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

https://www.wcnc.com/article/life/h...a6-aa11b3cd117e

This one actually happened.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

AlbieQuirky posted:

Kobe Bryant referred to himself as a “girl dad” because so many stupid people asked him if he was disappointed not to have had any sons. It was literally pushback on other people’s sexism, not him expecting backpats for being a decent parent.

Can you come up with a non-rapist to hold up as a shining example of a father of girls?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wät

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Lol, literally calling someone a communist for refusing to take part in an actual breadline.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Hmph. If OP was a real patriot, they'd call it FREEDOM toast. :911:

SerialKilldeer has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Feb 17, 2020

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Dienes posted:

Can you come up with a non-rapist to hold up as a shining example of a father of girls?

Yes, I am a huge rape apologist, you’ve caught me.

“Girldad” was trending recently because of Kobe Bryant’s death, which is why he in particular was relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes, I am a huge rape apologist

...MODS!!!!?!