Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slow_Moe posted:

35000 us dollaridoos.

Just stop for a second and think what you could do with that money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

SoftNum posted:

This made "sense" (if you squint at it) when he was trying to be a content creator. That's kinda how you get started (again not dropping $25k). He was "investing" in an audience. But reupping at $35k for a game you admit you're not even that interested in anymore... who are you signalling to? What are you getting out of doing that? He for sure owns everything in the pack already. (Also he reportedly bought 2 25k packs so he's in like 100k now)

Also I wonder when he's going to be audited because he implied he was counting these things as business expenses, and the IRS only lets you run self-owned companies at a loss against your personal income for so long before it becomes a (non-deductible) hobby.
I'm not sure parasocial relationships in general are supposed to make sense but if you keep giving someone money and they occasionally acknowledge that you exist and that makes you feel warm and fuzzy for a moment, you are validated into giving them more money. There doesn't seem to be much more to it but streaming seems to have brought the phenomenom to the forefront.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

He seems to be trying to live his entire life in VR waifu simulators now

But... still has time to throw thank Chris Roberts for allowing him to upgrade his package from $27k to $35k

:crobear:

cig are like family to me

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/FovuFJE.gifv

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Inacio posted:

cig are like family to me

I'am pretty sure this is mutual and they don't laugh about him behind closed doors.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 16, 2020

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ggangensis posted:

I'am pretty sure this is mutual and they don't laugh about him behind closed doors.

I just want to know what his family's like that the turnover rate is the same as the staff at CIG

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah like, an extra 2k would probably transform my life. The idea that there are people willing to spend 30k plus on space jpegs makes me reach for the guillotine.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 16, 2020

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Foo Diddley posted:

I just want to know what his family's like that the turnover rate is the same as the staff at CIG

And does his waifu pillow get the same turnover rate?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mendrian posted:

Yeah like, an extra 2k would probably transform my life. The idea that there are people willing to spend 30k plus on space jpegs makes me reach for the guillotine.

I understand this point of view, but for me it goes even beyond that. The reality is that they're NOT spending 30K on jpegs, they're getting robbed for that money to line the pockets of a very transparently inept con-man, and they're defending their abuser.

It's like a rich guy using a $100 bill to buy some expensive dumb poo poo like a gourmet gumball, or the same guy burning the bill to light his cigar. The second one stings more, and it's what backers are doing.

Actually even that analogy isn't right because in my second example the combustion of the bill winds up performing a function and producing heat. Giving CIG money only fuels the humor furnace.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 16, 2020

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

I understand this point of view, but for me it goes even beyond that. The reality is that they're NOT spending 30K on jpegs, they're getting robbed for that money to line the pockets of a very transparently inept con-man, and they're defending their abuser.

It's like a rich guy using a $100 bill to buy some expensive dumb poo poo like a gourmet gumball, or the same guy burning the bill to light his cigar. The second one stings more, and it's what backers are doing.

Some of them, sure.

Many of them turn it into a contest to express how not-big-a-deal it is to drop 5 figures on space jpegs.

Guess how this makes me, a poor person, feel.

Guess.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mendrian posted:

Some of them, sure.

Many of them turn it into a contest to express how not-big-a-deal it is to drop 5 figures on space jpegs.

Guess how this makes me, a poor person, feel.

Guess.

There is a way to look at it, though. If people who imagine themselves to be rich spend money on the dumbest poo poo imaginable, or nothing at all, to have a pissing contest among themselves, it's the best possible outcome. They could hoard the money and keep it out of circulation. They could spend it in a way that consolidates their power and makes them richer. But when they blow it on stupid poo poo, it goes back into circulation, jobs are created for people to make the incredibly stupid poo poo, they lose the money and gain nothing, and so on. It's best for stupid rich people to blow all that cash as soon as possible. In some small way, it drives the economy somewhat.

The problem is that in this case it's going to a con-artist who's not providing anything and is not part of any economy anyone can benefit from, except, for the time being, the paychecks going to college grads learning skills that will not translate too well.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 16, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

:five:

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

That last part why I really loathe the backers. That smug better-than-you attitude, that arrogant superiority, is what really just hubris. And hubris ends in nemesis. And it will be glorious.

It is a pity there has never been much criticism of CIG and Star Citizen from the backers and public in general.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

If it makes you feel any better, most of these people aren't rich, they're just middle class enough to rack up debt.

They're bragging about debt.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I can't really make fun of people that spend that much on Star Citizen, or any other game like it. It's scummy practice to exploit their psychology like this.

e: And I put way more responsibility on companies that do this poo poo, than on the people falling for it. Because out of a few million customers, there are going to be a few people that are extremely susceptible to your message. And companies like CIG just squeeze these people out of everything they have, it's p disgusting.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 16, 2020

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

monkeytek posted:

"I am here today to show the first ever Billion Polygon character! It takes five render farms to make it move! We are working closely with leading computer scientists in architecting the hardware necessary to run this amazing first ever AAAAAA game:

Game Requirements:

Power: 22 Gigawatts
Processing Power: 20 QuintaFLOPS
Video: We will require reaching out to Render Farms as no single GPU solution will manage at this time. We estimate monthly costs to hover around $50,000 for two hours of gameplay.
Network Bandwidth: min. 3 banded 100Gbps ISP grade fiber. Estimated build out to house $10M monthly cost $300k
Storage: SSD! Standard HD will cause less than optimal performance.

I hope you are as excited as I am and remember we'll be at E3 this year. Just find us on the floor, say the passcode: "I believe" and get a code for an amazing ingame digital item!

Yours truly Crobo!"

Entirely unbelievable nonsense. No one would ever believe something like that would be possible, even in the realm of utter hyperbole.

Give you a code for an item? Ha! They'd give you a code for a 10% discount* on an amazing "in-game"** digital item.

* New money only. Obviously.
** item may not exist in-game. If at some future date the item does exist in-game, the purchaser agrees that the item may be significantly different from its original description. No refunds. All pledges are spent immediately upon receipt.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I can't steal goon valor for this it's a thread classic that seemed somehow relevant

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Kellanved posted:

I can't really make fun of people that spend that much on Star Citizen, or any other game like it. It's scummy practice to exploit their psychology like this.

e: And I put way more responsibility on companies that do this poo poo, than on the people falling for it. Because out of a few million customers, there are going to be a few people that are extremely susceptible to your message. And companies like CIG just squeeze these people out of everything they have, it's p disgusting.

:hmmyes:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Agony Aunt posted:

And does his waifu pillow get the same turnover rate?

Well yeah, 'cuz they won't all fit in the bed at once

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
NPCs are getting abducted now too...

TELEPORTED IN AN NPC SHIP

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT

Me and the NPC behind the counter were teleported onto an NPC Pirate Constellation Andromeda. This was instant and the ship seems to be stuck in the side of the building.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Kellanved posted:

Nigerian princes with money to give? The love of of your life is but an email away? That space game you have searched for your whole life?

Walk this way sucker.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Scruffpuff posted:

There is a way to look at it, though. If people who imagine themselves to be rich spend money on the dumbest poo poo imaginable, or nothing at all, to have a pissing contest among themselves, it's the best possible outcome. They could hoard the money and keep it out of circulation. They could spend it in a way that consolidates their power and makes them richer. But when they blow it on stupid poo poo, it goes back into circulation, jobs are created for people to make the incredibly stupid poo poo, they lose the money and gain nothing, and so on. It's best for stupid rich people to blow all that cash as soon as possible. In some small way, it drives the economy somewhat.

The problem is that in this case it's going to a con-artist who's not providing anything and is not part of any economy anyone can benefit from, except, for the time being, the paychecks going to college grads learning skills that will not translate too well.

I wouldn't see it that black. Buying poo poo from CIG brings money back into circulation. Examples:

1. Family Roberts for sure has servantsemployees in and for their mansion, whose are getting paid and in turn can buy stuff. This is a good thing.
2. The juniors playing aroundworking on a Crysis-Mod called "Star Citizen" also get paid. Young people buy a lot of poo poo, and I'am pretty sure it ain't imaginary spaceships because they know whats going on. So Apple, MS, Sony or some car manufacturer also get their share.
3. Companies selling expensive coffee machines or space doors also get backer money, and from what it looks the space door is well done. I would hire these guys for my door as well and I'am sure they are worth the money.

It's not even the money that goes directly into Chris' and Sandis' pocket that bugs me. Chris spends it on superficial poo poo like watches, a mansion and probably some cars. The same goes for Sandi and I'am pretty sure she has an impressive shoe cabinet by now. At the end of the day most of it ends up in the Economic Cycle, which is fine. The money went from backers pockets, to Chris' pockets into the pockets of some watch manufacturer or real estate company specializing in multi million dollar mansions.
What bugs me is the money that goes into Ortwins pockets. I'am pretty sure this guy plans some outright evil poo poo with it, he probably has already bought some small island somewhere and began hiring staff for building his subterranean base of operations there.

Also, it is somewhat soothing that no matter how much money gets transferred from backers pockets into the pockets of Chris, Sandi, some junior dev, the barista or (by extent) into some door company or janitor service specialized in mansions, there will never come a game out of this. In a way, it's more like the backers running a charity that benefits Family Roberts, poor college grads, baristas, door-building-companies, watch manufacturers and the such. Overall, SC might not be that bad after all.

ggangensis fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 16, 2020

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

welp, time to rub i guess

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
There will never be a shortage of people trying to relieve you of your money.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dooguk posted:

There will never be a shortage of people trying to relieve you of your money.

Went a bit further down Cliffords twitter feed, and he seems to just really love throwing money at everything

Why have 2 backup batteries for your VR gear, when you can buy... 12

I feel like if he could take a picture of his credit limit just to show off , he would

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Oh cool nightmare fuel

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

Went a bit further down Cliffords twitter feed, and he seems to just really love throwing money at everything

Why have 2 backup batteries for your VR gear, when you can buy... 12

I feel like if he could take a picture of his credit limit just to show off , he would

This was the same guy that made a computer case entirely made from fans, right?

Maybe he just like wiring stuff together?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Slow_Moe posted:

naw he thinks this is how you get to be an "Influencer" I'm like 99% sure.

Also we should probably stop stalking Clifford for now. He's weird but...

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That PC case was a war crime

Like the point of a billion fan mounts is to give you a wide range of options for optimising airflow for whatever unpredictably shaped component range you put in it

Not to put a fan in every single one to make it into a hovercraft

There was literally no benefit other than proving he's a loving idiot with too much money

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Thoatse posted:

I can't steal goon valor for this it's a thread classic that seemed somehow relevant

Ah I see, I hadn’t seen it before.

I’m glad precious goon valor hasn’t been stolen today.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

quote:

Where are all pickable items?

I was looking for turtles but even in hab on Area18 there are literaly no items to pick. Why?

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/YBfy4FX.png[/img]"]because servers are on their loving knees already

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Slow_Moe posted:

fairly sure their thing is to be the quirky person who humble brags. one of the few other times i saw their tweets was them saying "i'm sorry that i make so, so, so much money and spend so much of it on dumb stuff because i make a heck of a lot of money and can afford it unlike poor people :("

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So what's actually going on here. I mean apart from the obvious madness. What's the foot thing supposed to do?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Deptfordx posted:

So what's actually going on here. I mean apart from the obvious madness. What's the foot thing supposed to do?

Think it's foot tracking for VR.

Probably for stuff like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N5u0Ja1ta4

Or just full anime immersion in VRChat or whatever.

e: Yeah looks like that's a Vive Tracker. Only €119 per foot! (God knows how much all the batteries are)

Standard rigs just track hands and head. This will give them full body representation. Especially with games which have inverse kinematic limb magic in them I guess. (Just don't tell Chris).

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 17, 2020

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

Spoken like guys who don't spend at least an hour every morning in front of a mirror taking curling iron damage to their head sometimes and needing to put on the right amount of makeup every day.

Let's just make a fun game that is fun and you can skip all these tedious life needs.

I did my time in the nineties hair straightening wars, but it ‘twas heavy metal that really gave up on me. I totally blame nu-metal.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Inacio posted:

fairly sure their thing is to be the quirky person who humble brags. one of the few other times i saw their tweets was them saying "i'm sorry that i make so, so, so much money and spend so much of it on dumb stuff because i make a heck of a lot of money and can afford it unlike poor people :("

Yeah that's what makes me feel kind of sorry for the guy. Like, your overinflated paycheck is all that you have to be proud of, and CIG and twitter are the only people you have to brag about it to? Really? I hope it's not the case because that's just depressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pixelate posted:

Think it's foot tracking for VR.

Probably for stuff like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N5u0Ja1ta4

Or just full anime immersion in VRChat or whatever.

e: Yeah looks like that's a Vive Tracker. Only €119 per foot! (God knows how much all the batteries are)

Standard rigs just track hands and head. This will give them full body representation. Especially with games which have inverse kinematic limb magic in them I guess. (Just don't tell Chris).

Nothing weird with him buying that many, his avatar has eight tentacles for feet.