Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

null_pointer posted:

Seriously. What could even cause that to happen?

Electric short from all the water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Ghostrider was thinking of starting a family and traded in for a sedan

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Stranger Things was pretty ok.

e, content:
https://i.imgur.com/qTVWOhC.mp4

also, hardhat chat

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 16, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

null_pointer posted:

I dunno, but they wound up in some hot water.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I saw that before. Dude made a mashed potato mountain and some mega bass poo poo broke some windows.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:whoptc:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1229124939090841600?s=21

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
She won't say no, because of the implication.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

The Long Dark has gotten a graphics update I see.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

null_pointer posted:

I heard that most car fires are from the hydraulic fluid leaking. Most have a lower flashpoint than fuel. Also tend to be run around areas they are more likely to be damaged. So car hit the standing water too fast. The shock of the impact knocked a hydraulic line, possibly either brakes or power steering. Then the fluid hit a hot surface and a ignited.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Varkk posted:

I heard that most car fires are from the hydraulic fluid leaking. Most have a lower flashpoint than fuel. Also tend to be run around areas they are more likely to be damaged. So car hit the standing water too fast. The shock of the impact knocked a hydraulic line, possibly either brakes or power steering. Then the fluid hit a hot surface and a ignited.

hydraulic leaks are also typically aerosolized because of the pressure involved, making it all the easier to ignite.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
ATF is cooler because it looks like a murder scene whenever a line bursts.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 17, 2020

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Varkk posted:

My money's on fuel line. By the time they hit the water the exhaust and catalytic converter were probably too cool to ignite power steering or transmission fluid(I have seen this burn a car or two to the ground though, for sure). Fuel lines are all plastic now with quick disconnect fittings. The pressure of water slamming into a line could easily just break a plastic connection. High pressure fuel may not ignite on a hot source, but if there is an exhaust leak close to the engine(see: flex pipes directly before or after catalytic converter, most people have had theirs replaced at one point) it's a definitely probable. Even better, if that driver haS been running around with a check engine light for an arcing ignition coil or spark plug wire, I would guarantee it. Plus, whatever is on fire there, is burning while floating on top of water. It's gotta be fuel

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
We had a fatality at work two years ago. We're all pretty sure the guy died of a heart attack or stroke and died on the accelerator of his pickup. It went just off the road, high-centered on some rocks and wood debris and something overheated/sparked causing a fire. By the time we noticed the smoke and the crew responded to put out the fire, it must have been fully engulfed for some time. We contained it and put it out (it took all the water we had, multiple portable tanks, to cool it down entirely). Two of our guys took charge and stuck around until the police showed up to do the reports, the rest of us drove home from camp in shock. I thought I was okay, it wasn't until I checked my fitbit before bed that I saw my heartrate had spiked up to 150 and never came back under 110 all day. I had vertigo for two days, the world was spinning and I did nothing but vomit and dry heave. I'm still not sure if this was entirely psychosomatic, or if it was an inner ear injury from the fuel tank exploding/tidy tank rupturing while we were fighting the fire. On the third day we were all back at work. We had a little safety meeting/debriefing, assured each other that we all did everything in our power, and tried to put it out of our minds. Really it was just a miracle that we contained the fire, the accident happened in a bone-dry stand of dead pine during our worst fire season in history. If the pickup hadn't high-centered next to the road we all would have been in serious danger (the crew was split up on two job sites about 6 kilometers apart with the fire happening in between us).

As far as I know no official safety investigation was ever done. The coroner's report said the fire wasn't the cause of death so it wasn't a "workplace accident" despite the entire crew being loving traumatized by it.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://i.imgur.com/lz2aNuV.mp4

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love how it almost runs up against the rocks but instead scrapes by just enough to right itself and make a break for freedom.

Good thing that wasn't that death road in Peru I guess.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Hardon Crime posted:

near as i can tell putin began his career pretending to be a tourist in russia, he's probably good enough at pretending to be president in russia too

This coming from a guy with a Georgian avatar

Buh buh buuuuuuh, buh buh BUH nuuuuuh, buh, buh buuuuuuuh, buh buhhhh

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 17, 2020

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

null_pointer posted:

Car's made out of sodium.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Car's made out of sodium.

Yeah this was my thought. Some wacky designer though a potassium frame would be impervious to Florida salt spray....

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Something something misinterpreted magnesium rims.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://i.imgur.com/NcNz3Xo.mp4

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Holy loving poo poo

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

How can drive a truck like that? Aren’t there sensors and poo poo that would prevent it???

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That’s one way to sand a road.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

That is awesome as hell

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Cyrano4747 posted:

That’s one way to feed squirrels.

Thats a grain truck.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

mds2 posted:

Thats a grain truck.

That was a grain truck.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

the fart question posted:

That is awesome as hell

I was giddy from the first frame. That went exactly as I hoped!

Edit: imagine being on the overpass at that moment.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Really liking that the person filming this decided they should keep pace with a semi that's about to explode when it hits the upcoming bridge and just hope that large pieces of death don't fly at their car.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

the peter north of truckfucklers

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cartoon Man posted:

How can drive a truck like that? Aren’t there sensors and poo poo that would prevent it???

No. A lot of dump trucks will lift their box to dump a load and then drive for a few or more feet. The drivers are supposed to be paying attention, and lowering asap.
Thats happened a few times around here recently. One guy was drunk, don't know about the other guy.
My guess is that something fell off the passenger seat and hit the lever/button to raise the box. And since the truck was going at highway speeds, rather than crawling along, it lifted the box up fairly quickly.

This is one of the local ones that happened a few years ago, guy was drunk.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/trucker-who-crashed-dump-truck-in-burlington-skyway-sentenced-to-jail-time-1.3683838

Heres the other one:
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/2257004-niagara-qew-closed-after-dump-truck-hits-bridge/

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

That happened on I-35 in Norman Oklahoma a few years ago. The sound that made was so scary. Like bomb going off boom

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

Really liking that the person filming this decided they should keep pace with a semi that's about to explode when it hits the upcoming bridge and just hope that large pieces of death don't fly at their car.

I know, that person should be doing journalism in war zones or something. Amazing dedication to getting the shot

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wesleywillis posted:

No. A lot of dump trucks will lift their box to dump a load and then drive for a few or more feet. The drivers are supposed to be paying attention, and lowering asap.
It seems like it wouldn't be that hard to have a buzzer of some sort go off if the bed is up above X speed. Or maybe interlock the range box so it's impossible to achieve highway speeds altogether.

Of course I'm sure it basically comes down to not being legally required and that if that alert ever false positived it'd either be disabled by the driver or take a truck out of service that could be making money.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8qo-QzpkDS/

:randstare:

More:
https://www.esquireme.com/content/43606-real-life-iron-man-sheikh-hamdan-unveils-new-dubai-jetman-stunt

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

wolrah posted:

It seems like it wouldn't be that hard to have a buzzer of some sort go off if the bed is up above X speed. Or maybe interlock the range box so it's impossible to achieve highway speeds altogether.

Of course I'm sure it basically comes down to not being legally required and that if that alert ever false positived it'd either be disabled by the driver or take a truck out of service that could be making money.

They could attach wind driven sirens to the forward bottom corners of the bed so when it's up and approaches, say, 30+ mph it starts making that WW2 dive bomber wail sound. When the bed is down the truck cab impedes air flow enough that the sirens can't spin up.

On second thought either truck operators wouldn't pay for the sirens or the drivers would intentionally drive with beds up because who wouldn't want to sound like a death dealing dive bomber going down the freeway?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Um

Does he land somewhere

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

beep-beep car is go posted:

That was a grain truck.

Jimmy cracked corn

Ornamental Dingbat