Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Speaking of Psycho, I'm a bit disappointed he and WW didn't have an exchange. Or maybe it's for the better since he probably still hates women :females:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

SimonCat posted:

Kite Man asking to become Mr. Poison Ivy was great.

Dr Psycho makes me wonder if giant meta-human strippers are a thing in this universe. Maybe where he met Giganta?

It's cheaper to get regular strippers and a shrink ray for the customers.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the harley quinn show sucks rear end

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

the harley quinn show sucks rear end

It's cool and good, actually.

hth

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Randaconda posted:

It's cool and good, actually.

hth

Don't feed the obvious trolls.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

itry posted:

The flowers blooming in the trees at the end was a nice touch.
Reminded me of the end of MGS3 so, yeah, I got goosebumps from it.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Two dramatic death scenes, first as farce, then as tragedy. Seriously, they parodied the scene with Clayface then did it for real with....

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

It got cancelled mid filming for whatever reason, but they sort of wrapped up the story and released the 10 episodes

Specifically they cut production at episode 10 and then like the day after episode 1 went up they announced it was canceled.

Also I'm assuming that the thing Ivy was trying to say to Harley was that a harpoon through the chest can't actually kill her.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
she's going to die, but from the corpse will grow an entirely new poison ivy with a different personality and voice actress like mr. peanut dr. who

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lunatic Sledge posted:

she's going to die, but from the corpse will grow an entirely new poison ivy with a different personality and voice actress like mr. peanut dr. who

No way. Whatever else they do, keep the same voice actress. She's killing it as Ivy.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Curveball: Using plant magic science, Kiteman is tranformed into the new Ivy with her memories reverting back to the last time they had sex

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

It's gonna be like Groot but she grows up way faster so there's basically an episode where Harley has to deal with raising a baby/toddler/kid/teen until Ivy's back to her 20something self.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, I don't think we're getting a long stretch of zero-Ivy episodes.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 17, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This seems like an excellent opportunity for jokes about how nobody in comics stays dead.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

mllaneza posted:

No way. Whatever else they do, keep the same voice actress. She's killing it as Ivy.

Lake Bell is awesome

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Darth Walrus posted:

This seems like an excellent opportunity for jokes about how nobody in comics stays dead.

Kiteman, tears in his eyes, picks up the body of Ivy, turns to Sy Borgman and solemnly asks "Hey, can I bum a ride to the nearest Lazarus Pit?"

Or maybe that talking plant still has that car.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Megazver posted:

Yeah, I don't think we're getting a long stretch of zero-Ivy episodes.

There's, what, one episode left? So that's certainly true.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

gently caress, this show is fun. I hope it gets a second season.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cancel all the other DC shows and use the budget to make more of this. Or in the style/spirit of.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LashLightning posted:

Or maybe that talking plant still has that car.

His name. is. FRANK.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

itry posted:

Cancel all the other DC shows and use the budget to make more of this. Or in the style/spirit of.

In a sense, it reminds me of a more adult Brave and the Bold in how it lampoons a lot of comic book stuff while also reveling in it. Also Deidrich Bader is Batman in both.

Unfortunately, there's no way to head canon one into the other because idk how you can tie the magnanimous king of the seas Aquaman to Broseidon, carer of the fishes Aquaman.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Flexible timeline. BatB is set after this.

Aquaman is like Riker from Star Trek. He needs to grow a beard to be taken seriously.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You could say it's a different timeline/earth? :shrug:

Elfface posted:

Aquaman is like Riker from Star Trek. He needs to grow a beard to be taken seriously.

:hmmyes:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Xander77 posted:

Why is the onus on him to go put on a rubber suit and beat mental patients instead of (say) funding a better trained and equipped police force?

One is a choice, one is an obligation. He chooses to cross one line and go out as Batman specifically to do one thing, and to have another line he doesn't want to cross for whatever reason. After which it's up to the government what happens. People shouldn't even be happy with him crossing that first line, but they generally are because the government is so ineffective at dealing with supervillians in an all out fight. They shouldn't be happy to hand over jurisdiction on the second too, since that would essentially make Batman Judge Dredd and he would have discretion on not just who to go after, but how to punish them afterwards. Simply because they don't want to deal with executing villains themselves.

Yea, Batman probably doesn't want to kill the Joker at least partially because people would be scared of him if he did. Why wouldn't they be though? Since he'd have shown he's willing to execute criminals if they don't behave the way he wants. He might only ever intend it to be the Joker, but the regular citizens don't know that and the media certainly won't care, since scare-mongering stories about Batman would sell like crazy and that's going to be more important to enough people that the populace will start to lose faith in Batman as a necessary evil who helps people and see him instead as a rogue element they can't entirely trust. Even with the best will in the world on his part, he'd still probably have GCPD set upon him because he can't be trusted after a couple of papers paint him as a killer who's going to come for your baby if he's not stopped. Dealing with the police at every turn rather than having them look the other way would hamper any effort to actually fight crime.

itry posted:

Cancel all the other DC shows and use the budget to make more of this. Or The Spirit.

I'd love a good The Spirit adaptation in this style, though the adult humor is probably a bit too explicit for something like The Spirit. At least, in the classic sense.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 17, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tsob posted:

Batman probably doesn't want to kill the Joker at least partially because people would be scared of him if he did.
Isn't that the whole point of being Batman?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
No, the whole point is that criminals are scared of him, not regular citizens. He wants them to trust him, while the people who break the law fear him. If law-abiding citizens feared him, then he'd have so much heat he wouldn't be able to concentrate on loving up supervillains and the mob.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

tsob posted:

No, the whole point is that criminals are scared of him, not regular citizens. He wants them to trust him, while the people who break the law fear him. If law-abiding citizens feared him, then he'd have so much heat he wouldn't be able to concentrate on loving up supervillains and the mob.

Why would you trust a shady strongman in a mask who rudely vanishes in the middle of a conversation?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why would you trust a shady strongman in a mask who rudely vanishes in the middle of a conversation?

Because he literally never harms anyone who hasn't broken the law, and never kills anyone. He has a line, and that means you know you can trust him to at least a theoretical point.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

itry posted:

Season 2 is guaranteed at least as the show's initial order was 26 episodes. https://www.newsarama.com/48017-dc-universe-s-harley-quinn-showrunners.html

quote:

Nrama: When did you know you were getting a season 2?

Halpern: It was a 26 episode order that we decided to break into two seasons, two 13-episode seasons. I don't know if they think it's two 13 episode seasons. I think they do. I think it's going to air - I mean I have no real idea, but I think it'll probably be 13 and 13 and certainly narratively. That's how we broke it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Elfface posted:

Flexible timeline. BatB is set after this.

I figured it out. This takes place after BatB. Aquaman got hitched to Mera and chilled out. Batman put away his Hammers of Justice to look more responsible to Damien. Villains are generally in an upswing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why are you dorks so obsessed with this connecting to other shows?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rhyno posted:

Probably because Batman: The Animated Series and Justice League were the first 'adult-feeling' cartoon shows that resonated with most of us in this thread.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You guys trying to tell me you think Batman couldn't properly hide Jokers body?

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Azhais posted:

You guys trying to tell me you think Batman couldn't properly hide Jokers body?

Adam West Batman has a button on the Batcomputer and a pouch in his utility belt specifically for this purpose

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Because it's funny and dumb.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Balthesar posted:

Adam West Batman has a button on the Batcomputer and a pouch in his utility belt specifically for this purpose

Adam West Batman could just loving use his Lovecraft machine to turn him into dust.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So between watching "Birds of Prey" and the "Harley Quinn" show, it seems Harley's new status quo in DC is to explore her break up with the Joker, which made me wonder after the film if/when she'll be allowed to stand on her own two feet as a character and have stories that are just Harley doing her own thing (whatever that ends up being) and not just not as an extension of the Joker; even if only indirectly. I'm pretty sure there's been some recent(ish) comics about it too, though I haven't been keeping up with the comics in a long time, and that Harley is being played off against Punchline, Joker's newest girlfriend, to some degree in comics too, based on some covers I've seen floating around. I wonder if the cartoon will be allowed to move past it after the first/second season, given they're both planned out as one narrative and she'll presumably be over Joker after the latest episode and have gotten whatever revenge or whatever that she wants on him by season two at the latest if it's all planned out.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Probably because Batman: The Animated Series and Justice League were the first 'adult-feeling' cartoon shows that resonated with most of us in this thread.

More to the point, a lot of the DCAU shows explicitly shared continuity for a long time.

Batman
Superman
JLU
Batman Beyond
Static Shock?!

I think Teen Titans was the first one to break away from the shared universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's been more than a dozen DC toons that dont tie in over the last 15 years. And like 15 animated films.

It's not all going to be connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

tsob posted:

So between watching "Birds of Prey" and the "Harley Quinn" show, it seems Harley's new status quo in DC is to explore her break up with the Joker, which made me wonder after the film if/when she'll be allowed to stand on her own two feet as a character and have stories that are just Harley doing her own thing (whatever that ends up being) and not just not as an extension of the Joker; even if only indirectly. I'm pretty sure there's been some recent(ish) comics about it too, though I haven't been keeping up with the comics in a long time, and that Harley is being played off against Punchline, Joker's newest girlfriend, to some degree in comics too, based on some covers I've seen floating around. I wonder if the cartoon will be allowed to move past it after the first/second season, given they're both planned out as one narrative and she'll presumably be over Joker after the latest episode and have gotten whatever revenge or whatever that she wants on him by season two at the latest if it's all planned out.

Well, it is an interesting plot to explore, dealing with a character originally introduced as a sidekick whose entire personality is just an extension of her master, and then have her trying to find independence and her own identity. It has an obvious “real life” counterpart in people struggling with getting away from an abusive relationship where their identity is erased and their circle of friends/connections is reduced to only their manipulative abuser that they grow dependent on. I think this show manages to deal with this really serious subject in a good and respectful way for a comedy show, and everyone who knows someone who has gotten away from a relationship with a psychopath will recognize the way Quinn still gravitates towards Joker and spins the stories around to even delude herself into believing her abusive ex really loved her.