Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just use reds. they’re fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Silver Alicorn posted:

I just use reds. they’re fine.

reds seem even worse. Everythings floaty and I keep making typos. I was faster with rubberdomes.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
works for me OP

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mike12345 posted:

I just splurged on a refurbed model m, because I'm so sick of typing with brown switches. gently caress you, cherry mx brown! gently caress you.

I feel ya

clears are so significantly better than browns it’s kind of odd to think they’re identical except the clears are a little bit harder to press down and gently caress does that make a world of difference

one day I may experience the joy of whatever it is that’s clicky like a blue but has the activation force of a clear 🤯

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mike12345 posted:

reds seem even worse. Everythings floaty and I keep making typos. I was faster with rubberdomes.

whatever budget rear end method the logitech at work uses, works, because I can type fuckin well on it

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

echinopsis posted:

one day I may experience the joy of whatever it is that’s clicky like a blue but has the activation force of a clear 🤯

Have you tried greens?

More generally you can modify the actuation curve by swapping in different springs; you can get springs for cherry mx style switches with a variety of actuation forces, and you can also use a longer spring if you want to preload it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

echinopsis posted:

I feel ya

clears are so significantly better than browns it’s kind of odd to think they’re identical except the clears are a little bit harder to press down and gently caress does that make a world of difference

browns and clears have different stems in addition to different springs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mewse posted:

browns and clears have different stems in addition to different springs

as in, the colour of the stem that comes out of it? where one is brown and one is whitelike?

Fib posted:

Have you tried greens?

More generally you can modify the actuation curve by swapping in different springs; you can get springs for cherry mx style switches with a variety of actuation forces, and you can also use a longer spring if you want to preload it.

yes those are the ones but no have not tried greens

i'm intrigued coz I have a keybaord with blues in at home and if I could make it stiffer then I would be stiffer all around

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

echinopsis posted:

as in, the colour of the stem that comes out of it? where one is brown and one is whitelike?

The bits that press against the metal contacts are different shapes and so have different feel

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I've become one of those people who bring their own mouse to work. On the plus side it's gotten me better at trackballing (rather than only using it when I was at home staring at the good screen).

Now if only there was a wireless mechanical keyboard that worked with Logitech Unifying. :sigh:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Fib posted:

The bits that press against the metal contacts are different shapes and so have different feel

yeah, the tactile bump is larger on the clear stem

this is why "ergo clears" are/were a popular mod - take a clear and put in a spring from a red or brown, get a nice big tactile bump without the high resistance spring

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

just buy a topre

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
does anyone have a keyboard with matias quiet click switches? i already own a fc660c with topre but need function keys and an apple extended keyboard 1 -- that's too loud though. in short i like topre but can't afford them now and like alps salmon or orange but they are too loud. what's the best in that sort of zone

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
obvs not buying a new keyboard is not an option

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mewse posted:

yeah, the tactile bump is larger on the clear stem

this is why "ergo clears" are/were a popular mod - take a clear and put in a spring from a red or brown, get a nice big tactile bump without the high resistance spring

:monocle:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1227322447302664192

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug

hifi posted:

just buy a topre

:hai:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

hifi posted:

just buy a topre

agreed 100%

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ehhh that layout is crap

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if it ain't split it ain't poo poo

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Achmed Jones posted:

if it ain't split it ain't poo poo

I'm waiting for another split addict to make a fully split kb with 44 keys each on their own board

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
PBT keys attract dust like a real mother fucker, so I am cleaning them, and using the stuff you use for protecting the dash in your car :smugmrgw: the keys coming up glorious and black

burning swine
May 26, 2004

echinopsis posted:

PBT keys attract dust like a real mother fucker, so I am cleaning them, and using the stuff you use for protecting the dash in your car :smugmrgw: the keys coming up glorious and black

lol thats gonna be an oily keyboard

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

burning swine posted:

lol thats gonna be an oily keyboard

nah maybe a touch slippery for a while but not oily

silicon is amazing. silicon sex lube is so drat good compared to oil

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

just bought another model m from unicomp for my new desktop and didn't want to deal with the insanity of shopping through weeb keybs.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

nah maybe a touch slippery for a while but not oily

silicon is amazing. silicon sex lube is so drat good compared to oil

don't gently caress and cum in your keyboard

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Or do, it's your keyboard (I hope)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a silicon-based lubricant would be carcinogenic and extremely messy

silicone, on the other hand,

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

don't gently caress and cum in your keyboard

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

what kind of compound would be a carcinogenic silicon lubricant

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I 3d printed another keyboard case and built another one

https://imgur.com/gallery/ypLVKqB

I have a problem!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

yeah a sand based lubricant would make me wish I had cancer

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

if your lubricant is a little messy, just wash it off

https://www.instagram.com/p/B864vy_Hx4q/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lots of chat about trying to gently caress computer components but not enough about lubing them up and trying to get them in your rear end: just IMO

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

deliverin the goods as ever

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

very few keyboards have flared bases

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
that’s OK, most have a molded in cable that can be used for retrieval

(the good ones don’t tho)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i hated my blank keyboard not for the letters but for the {#^**++ characters I was never gonna remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

i hated my blank keyboard not for the letters but for the {#^**++ characters I was never gonna remember

i gotta say "remembering where the keys are" has never been a problem i had with a keyboard, any keyboard