Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know about "accidentally" cos I think the idea that it would be better if all humans were dead, or rather were never born, is a fairly common one, tbh. Exactly because it follows from that general outlook, that things are only bad because we experience them and we keep making more people to experience mostly bad things, and we're not showing many signs of changing either of those things soon.

Which doesn't really track with "let's just kill a shitload of people" which is what genocide is in practice, which yes is clearly bad even under that philosophical outlook.

I don't know that there are many materialist philosophies that can deal with everyone being dead, cos by definition materialist philosophy stops mattering at that point cos there's nobody to do it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Only a matter of time before the universe blind-watchmakers us back tho

It might not be an uncommon idea, but it's a fairly silly one

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ehh, I mean I personally do have a very strong suspicion that while life is the only thing capable of making moral judgements, if we do them rigorously we are forced to conclude that life is bad because it mostly amounts to the capacity and tendency to suffer and to prolong and perptuate that capacity.

And that has practical considerations re: dying and having kids, so it's not silly I think. It does have strong, if specific, relevance to actual decisions you might make.

I can't prove it obviously cos I can't have objective vision of everyone's lives and experiences but what observation I can make leads me to suspect that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 17, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm surprised by all the love for Burgeon in here. I know he's a lefty but whenever I've seen him talk he comes across as dumber than a box of particularly dumb rocks, like a claystone or greywacke or something. I'm not hugely thrilled by any of the candidates in either race really.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 17, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can we all at least agree that it's ethically unconscionable to create sapient existences while Monday mornings are ongoing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lungboy posted:

I'm surprised by all the love for Burgeon in here. I know he's a lefty but whenever I've seen him talk he comes across as dumber than a box of particularly dumb rocks, like a claystone or greywacke or something. I'm not hugely thrilled by any of the candidates in either race really.

He's a good lad who means well but definitely comes across as a bit of a clunker. Butler>Burgon>Rayner is my pick, with the expectation that Rayner will get it and that'll be fine.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1229322427471138818

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Trolley problems? In my trolleys?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

feedmegin posted:

Please do! I am open to making Marx or an analogue a deity in the setting if need be, though I suspect he might roll in his grave...

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.

https://img.fireden.net/tg/image/1453/74/1453743583694.pdf

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think you're all outing yourselves as poseurs when it comes to the traditional martial arts of the British working class here. Even a half-brick in a sock will just get you a torn sock, we won't even talk about fitting a whole scissor jack in there (a bottle jack *maybe*, but if you have a bottle jack you also have a very serviceable 2-foot steel pole sitting right next to it).

The correct filling for a sock-based improvised weapon is of course a snooker ball, or a handful of batteries or enough sand to half-fill the foot at a pinch.

Sounds like you're buying poo poo socks mate.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Looks like my CLP nominated RLB and Rosena Allin-Khan. Anyone got thoughts on Rosena?

E: RLBRAK really does sound like a mums net acronym.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Submitted for your earhole pleasure, including Windrush, the cabinet reshuffle, Berniechat and more:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1229346546761773056?s=20

(Also many Jordan Peterson jokes and the worst accent I have ever done.)

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Oh hey you remember the times 'exclusive' yesterday about the tories unsurprisingly wanting to 'consult' on ditching the BBC licence fee? Well gently caress the BBC it's already too late to save them.

quote:

Or to put it another way: why is that we get so het up about political decisions when, by and large, they don't make much difference to our lives and, even if they did affect us, we can't do much about them?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51510106

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's a very roundabout way of saying that a lot of mental health problems are caused by our hosed up sociopolitical landscape.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Laosagna cat

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A thread about a Dick.

https://twitter.com/ConnerHabib/status/1229135003826753538

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Borrovan posted:

Well yeah, ethics is basically like writing convoluted excel formulae: the logic all makes sense whilst you're formulating the argument, so if the output looks right, it's probably cool. Otherwise, there's an error somewhere.

And this ties directly to my favourite question to ask those people who actually like Excel: so what’s your unit test framework for those formulas then?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

jaete posted:

And this ties directly to my favourite question to ask those people who actually like Excel: so what’s your unit test framework for those formulas then?

If it doesn't show #NAME? anywhere then it's working perfectly.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

jaete posted:

What does that mean? What answer are you looking for? I do a lot of excel stuff at work but I am not from a coding background- and I don't know how I'd answer that question.

if you're just asking "How do you know the formula is giving the right result", I'd do a manual check on a few random results to see if it is giving the answer correctly/as expected.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is the sort of thing that could use a source better than a podcast host tbh. Not saying he's wrong, just not a biologist so can't really verify any of this.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Jose if (lookong pretty likely rn) I move to Newcastle we should have a DND game where we drink a lot

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

This is the sort of thing that could use a source better than a podcast host tbh. Not saying he's wrong, just not a biologist so can't really verify any of this.
The best parts of the targeted Dick kicks aren't that his big biological idea is wrong (although it almost certainly is), but how he pissed off most prominent biologists at the time with ideas that aren't even internally consistent and turned it into a successful scam, kickstarting the whole 'rational skeptic' thing, and has fed into a type of Cultural Darwinism that has plagued end of history era cultural discourse, so maybe a psychologist would be a better cite.

Speaking of plagues on the cultural discourse, Sophie Lewis's very good article (cn transphobic violence) on the SWERFness of TERFs and vice versa came around again and is relevant to the LGBalliance/Woman's Place lot and the leadership debate. (And probably Big Dick too, as he enjoys RTing TERFs.) It's a lot of words to say that they're lovely people who are bad at material analysis but there's some 🔥 bits.

quote:

They are nihilists, in a sense: they understand capitalism and patriarchy to be evils one must live with but which, at the same time, one must opt out of rather than struggle through. They are misogynist feminists, too: they are upset at the production of more women. This might sound like a bit of a cheap shot, but despite their occasional wombyn-priestess schtick, since they see conversion to womanhood as insulting, they clearly don’t actually like women.

quote:

The simultaneous characterisation of trans women [this goes for sex workers too] as unthinking supporters of male-defined roles and politically aware enough to convince hardened feminists to admit them is a theoretical clusterfuck.
:discourse:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Undead Hippo posted:

What does that mean? What answer are you looking for? I do a lot of excel stuff at work but I am not from a coding background- and I don't know how I'd answer that question.

if you're just asking "How do you know the formula is giving the right result", I'd do a manual check on a few random results to see if it is giving the answer correctly/as expected.

Ditto. Also put in extremes and see how it behaves.

Btw if you type 31/12/29 in a cell, it interprets it as 31/12/2029
But if you type 1/1/30 in a cell, it interprets it as 1/1/1930. If you want 2030 (which is less than 10 years away now so you might well), you have to type in 1/1/2030

(Caveat: Excel 2010. Don't know if changed for later versions.)

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

It's not just one defeat though, is it? It's quite literally over a decade of loss in some ways. The feeling of powerlessness, of feeling like "well what can you do but acclimitise yourself to the world" is a strong one. It becomes less so the longer things get worse, but it is still a strong one.

Also I think i complained about this on Discord but this is literally how I feel, at least with regard to parliamentary democracy. Pretty much everything I've voted for since I've been able to vote has had my area vote for it and then be completely pointless.

2010 - Yes on AV
2015 - Labour
2016 - Remain
2017 - Labour
2019 - Labour

It all culminated when earlier last year, I decided to trudge along to a CLP meeting to vote for my MP to get a trigger ballot, and our place won by 1 vote, then it turns out the MP won in literally every other ward anyway so it was a complete and utter waste of time.

So basically I'm comically disenfranchised, live in an area that is essentially disenfranchised (South East London), I have to sit here and listen to MPs going "Yes let's appease the racists" on the one hand and have Boris literally go "Yes, you black people are literally inferior" on the other, so it's just pretty loving tiring at this point, they don't care about me, so why should I care about them?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

CoolCab posted:

Jose if (lookong pretty likely rn) I move to Newcastle we should have a DND game where we drink a lot

If you need a warm, welcoming pub for your D+D group, the Black Garter is perfect. Be sure to bring in a copy of the Guardian and a bag of vegan sausage rolls to share with the friendly regulars

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Greenwich or Lewisham Chucat?

It does feel disheartening. Especially when a bunch of old people who have lived their lives in comfort demand that we, once again, take on more pain for them to never have to think about anything.

But I think we should also try and join things outside of ourselves. Problem being is that it's hard to do that, but it does need doing.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Bermondsey, my MP is ultra melt garbageman Neil Coyle.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ditto. Also put in extremes and see how it behaves.

Btw if you type 31/12/29 in a cell, it interprets it as 31/12/2029
But if you type 1/1/30 in a cell, it interprets it as 1/1/1930. If you want 2030 (which is less than 10 years away now so you might well), you have to type in 1/1/2030

(Caveat: Excel 2010. Don't know if changed for later versions.)

That's a Windows setting that you can override.

Just amended mine to the year I retire.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

xtothez posted:

That's a Windows setting that you can override.

Just amended mine to the year I retire.

Cheers! I didn't know that :D

ED: Hm mine is set to 1950 - 2049 (I haven't changed it) and excel (2010) still 'misbehaving'.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 17, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Chucat posted:

Also I think i complained about this on Discord but this is literally how I feel, at least with regard to parliamentary democracy. Pretty much everything I've voted for since I've been able to vote has had my area vote for it and then be completely pointless.

2010 - Yes on AV
2015 - Labour
2016 - Remain
2017 - Labour
2019 - Labour

It all culminated when earlier last year, I decided to trudge along to a CLP meeting to vote for my MP to get a trigger ballot, and our place won by 1 vote, then it turns out the MP won in literally every other ward anyway so it was a complete and utter waste of time.

So basically I'm comically disenfranchised, live in an area that is essentially disenfranchised (South East London), I have to sit here and listen to MPs going "Yes let's appease the racists" on the one hand and have Boris literally go "Yes, you black people are literally inferior" on the other, so it's just pretty loving tiring at this point, they don't care about me, so why should I care about them?

Sad fist bump.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chucat posted:

2010 - Yes on AV
2015 - Labour
2016 - Remain
2017 - Labour
2019 - Labour

Fine, but don't give up. Join a union. Join the IWW. Find a local anarchist group. Parliamentary politics isn't everything. Some might say it's not much at all. Just don't throw your hands up your hands and vote for Keir Starmer out of defeatism is what I am saying.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is the opposite of excel incel?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

What on Earth are these labour texts for, so you get put on a list for merch / vouchers for pizza express?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Fine, but don't give up. Join a union. Join the IWW. Find a local anarchist group. Parliamentary politics isn't everything. Some might say it's not much at all. Just don't throw your hands up your hands and vote for Keir Starmer out of defeatism is what I am saying.

I'm already in a union, and I'm not going to vote for loving Keir Starmer, though I'm immensely excited to vote for RLB and some fusion of Starmer and Nandy wins.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

What on Earth are these labour texts for, so you get put on a list for merch / vouchers for pizza express?

They're calculating the size of their support among the membership and recruiting for volunteers. You know, basic campaigning 101.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Chucat posted:

some fusion of Starmer and Nandy

zhar
May 3, 2019

Darth Walrus posted:

They're calculating the size of their support among the membership and recruiting for volunteers. You know, basic campaigning 101.

Is there a strategy, should I say I'm voting for Starmer and not RLB even though I'm doing the opposite like some Sun Tzu poo poo?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

zhar posted:

Is there a strategy, should I say I'm voting for Starmer and not RLB even though I'm doing the opposite like some Sun Tzu poo poo?

Say you're voting Jess Flaps and when they say 'but she's not on the ballot' say 'oh I had no idea'. And then you can mess more. 'Well vote for me' then they might say. And you could say 'well are you signing up to those godawful atrocious BoD conditions?'

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 17, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Is the opposite of excel incel?

This inherently means that spreadsheet users gently caress. Not sure it pans out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Comrade Fakename posted:

This inherently means that spreadsheet users gently caress. Not sure it pans out.

You mean you haven't got to throw down after showing your date your proud collection of your favourite spreadsheets?

Me neither.

And they are some really good spreadsheets as well.