Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Basileus777 posted:

Bernie's has physic and nothing else! She'd be a bad fit for the class even if she could punch like Raphael.

"she only has the best recovery skill in the game, what a trash unit" is a take a person can have i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

"she only has the best recovery skill in the game, what a trash unit" is a take a person can have i guess

Yeah, that one spell by itself at half uses is real great reason to use war monk. Maybe think about what we're arguing here.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Beat the final boss. I abused Casual and let Linhardt take a killing blow to let it be done with, though.

Fun mode, wish it was just a little longer (maybe 10 chapters, tops) and had a proper cg cutscene to wrap it off. And sothis. Were they just unable to get the VA for this or what, it is really weird how she wasn't here at all. But an enjoyable 8 or so hours.

Looking forward to playing the next route with all the DLC bonuses

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Basileus777 posted:

Yeah, that one spell by itself at half uses is real great reason to use war monk. Maybe think about what we're arguing here.

counterpoint: let bernie punch

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Persecution complex and gauntlets sounds like a terrifying combo.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Basileus777 posted:

War Monk could have been an interesting class for a character with high strength and a spell list with nice utility spells to use. It's a shame that no such unit exists. Not a single character with blue arrows in brawling has a faith spell list that's any good. The way they designed the spell lists in this game undercut any real usability for hybrid classes.

I probably won't use anyone as a War Monk long term, but its mastered ability Brawl Avo +20 is good. I'll probably put all my future War Masters through War Monk just to get that.

I think the only case where I would use War Monk as an "end" class is Catherine, because gauntlets are a good choice on her due to her high strength, and she can't be a War Master. Sure her spell list is bad, but it might be useful to be able to toss a recover to someone.

It's definitely my least favorite of the new classes though. I think I would have given it full spell uses, and then replaced Heal with something cool. They are given Unarmed Combat-- maybe when they use Unarmed Combat instead of a fist weapon, they should deal magic damage using their magic stat. That would be rad.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Endorph posted:

Considering the random Jeritza/Bernie support added in this patch I imagine it's the last bit of content for this game. Especially since they'll probably announce the next FE at the FE Expo in May.

I figured this would be the case, but I might as well check if there was an announcement I missed somewhere along the way.

Definitely looking forward to whatever the next game they come out with is, I was feeling really skeptical about the devs after Fates.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Basileus777 posted:

Bernie's has physic and nothing else! She'd be a bad fit for the class even if she could punch like Raphael.

she gets rescue, and her reason list is fairly solid

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Bernie also has just about the worst Mag growth in the game unfortunately.
I want to buy out the altar's supply of Aura knuckles and make Mercedes my War Monk. But I've never leveled her brawling skill before (obviously), she gets no sort of brawl xp bonus from any other class and I have to get it to A to use the drat things so it probably won't happen until it's too late to be useful, if at all. On top of that I'm doing Golden Deer so I lose out on several chapters of trying to level it.

Also is it just me or is Constance Cyril-level bad? Like they made her canon class Dark Flier, knew how powerful Dark Flier was, so they made her bad to compensate.
You know who isn't bad and can be a Dark Flier? Lysithia.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 17, 2020

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

gonna make lysithea a war cleric and punch the death knight away

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Junpei Hyde posted:

gonna make lysithea a war cleric and punch the death knight away

The Death Knight has a new nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhVqgtHNrU4

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Not really sure what to do with the Sauna, I guess if you don't need to recruit or get motivation up that much, or teach Byleth skills. So many other things to do.

I can already see future fresh maddening runs be stupid easy with Yuri being an instant, recruitable Petra and that item that counters all the +1 bow users.

Hapi is what you expect, Dark Lynhardt. Constance....I mean, she's a spellcaster with bad heals....? I can kinda only see her being useful on Crimson Flower because Dorathea/Lynhardt aren't amazing mages compared to Lysie/Marianne or Mecedes/Anne.

And usually Hubert is slower but for some reason he decided he's Felix in my run.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tae posted:

Not really sure what to do with the Sauna, I guess if you don't need to recruit or get motivation up that much, or teach Byleth skills. So many other things to do.

I can already see future fresh maddening runs be stupid easy with Yuri being an instant, recruitable Petra and that item that counters all the +1 bow users.

Hapi is what you expect, Dark Lynhardt. Constance....I mean, she's a spellcaster with bad heals....? I can kinda only see her being useful on Crimson Flower because Dorathea/Lynhardt aren't amazing mages compared to Lysie/Marianne or Mecedes/Anne.

And usually Hubert is slower but for some reason he decided he's Felix in my run.

Constance has Lysithea levels of mag growth and Bolting. That's about all she needs to do really.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lysie's super high speed was kinda important for my last maddening run, though

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm starting my GB route now that the DLC is out, and I'm wondering who I should choose for my tank. Hilda and Raphael look like they have potential, but based on recruiting Raph before and using Hilda in the DLC, I'm worried they might be too squishy, even with the added growths of tank classes. There's several characters with the potential to dodge tank, but there's not really a natural heavy like you get with Edelgard or Dedue, it seems.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
make hilda a wyvern rider but keep training her heavy armor for 1) seal speed and 2) to test her into fortress knight in case her defense lags, you can patch it up

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rochallor posted:

I'm starting my GB route now that the DLC is out, and I'm wondering who I should choose for my tank. Hilda and Raphael look like they have potential, but based on recruiting Raph before and using Hilda in the DLC, I'm worried they might be too squishy, even with the added growths of tank classes. There's several characters with the potential to dodge tank, but there's not really a natural heavy like you get with Edelgard or Dedue, it seems.

Leonie is honestly your real tank. Her defensive growths are unusually high (her base defense is the same as Ralph), and her passive reduces damage. Not to mention that unlike Ralp, she can get the speed to prevent doubles.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013
Yuri looks a lot better just looking at his stats until you realize that he has one of the worst skill spreads in the game. Red arrows in horse, flying, axe, and spear? He's basically locked into trickster, assassin, or sniper. And sniper is a complete waste of his speed.

Basileus777 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 17, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/arktoons/status/1228772525699518464

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I spent way too effort into making Hilda a War Cleric all because I hate armor designs of mounted units and Warrior seems meh. It's okay for her since it patches her low dex so she can actually hit things. Changing aesthetic designs of your units in battle has probably been my favorite update in the game, but it doesn't work on mounted units. Example I really like the design of post time skip Ferdinand and I can keep it in a class better than unmounted Paladin like Hero or War Master.

Outside of Yuri, the rest of the Ashen Wolves seem bad. I recruited them in chapter 7 Blue Lions and their base stats aside from Yuri are awful. Why does Constance have 10 loving speed? Then I looked at her growths and she's outright worse than Lysethia outside of 5% strength and defense and Annette is better outside of 10% less magic. Bathus is build for War Master but not much better than Raphiel or Caspar. At least he's prettier to look at.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013
Hapi is basically Linhardt with better offensive spells and class options. As a regular mage she's not that good, and you'd want to recruit her earlier to get her faith up.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ok im giving up on maddening

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Rochallor posted:

Hilda has the exact same base defense and growth as Edelgard. I used her as a fortress knight in my GD run and the only time I lost her was when I let her get cornered by multiple dark mages. Raph is closer to Dedue in that they have plenty of defense but basically no resistance.

If you want to go a bit off the wall and use someone without a talent, Lorenz has pretty solid defensive bases and growths and would make a decent armor knight who'd take a little more physical damage but have a lot more resistance than any of your standard options.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I haven't actually touched the dlc yet, how does the side story work? I'm chapter 21 in a golden deer playthru at the moment, should I just wait to start a new run before bothering with it or what

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

I haven't actually touched the dlc yet, how does the side story work? I'm chapter 21 in a golden deer playthru at the moment, should I just wait to start a new run before bothering with it or what
it is completely unrelated to your main game save, so you can do it whenever
however, all of the rewards from it (ie: being able to recruit DLC characters for one, and a super busted piece of equipment) are unlocked on all files from the get go once you do it.

So, IMO, do it now (for the fun of it and for the equipment/renown reward), but don't bother recruiting the students until next playthrough, where they will be available for free as early as, like, chapter 2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you just go into the sidestory tab and do it, the units there are preset. you get the bonuses from it in every file you ever make after beating it. most of the benefits from it are only available in part 1 (recruiting the new units, getting the items that let you go into the new classes) and there's some features obviously intended for a NG+, so yeah I'd do it inbetween beating golden deer and starting a NG+

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Endorph posted:

counterpoint: let bernie punch

Hunt11 posted:

Persecution complex and gauntlets sounds like a terrifying combo.

I have done this with Warrior Bernie (it was good), and now we finally have a class with Fistfaire for women!

Also, on the subject of "Who is this class for" I immediately slotted Byleth into it because I'm playing Maddening and Fists > Swords almost unilaterally there. I lose 2 casts of Restore for Fistfaire (compared to Enlightened One or whatever) which is worth it to me

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 17, 2020

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

it is completely unrelated to your main game save, so you can do it whenever
however, all of the rewards from it (ie: being able to recruit DLC characters for one, and a super busted piece of equipment) are unlocked on all files from the get go once you do it.

So, IMO, do it now (for the fun of it and for the equipment/renown reward), but don't bother recruiting the students until next playthrough, where they will be available for free as early as, like, chapter 2.

Endorph posted:

you just go into the sidestory tab and do it, the units there are preset. you get the bonuses from it in every file you ever make after beating it. most of the benefits from it are only available in part 1 (recruiting the new units, getting the items that let you go into the new classes) and there's some features obviously intended for a NG+, so yeah I'd do it inbetween beating golden deer and starting a NG+

Thank you, looks like doing it now is fine, even tho it sucks not getting to fully experiment with the new stuff until ng+

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I will say the DLC design makes me hope they get rid of the weird class structure 3 Houses has and go back to more limited classes per person in the next game.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
They seem to be tinkering with classes almost every new game since Shadow Dragon, so I'd be surprised if it was unchanged in the next game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It needs more of a balance pass. The main issue with the class system is that the two best classes flow right into each other (Zerker->Wyvern). If Wyvern required high lance usage, it would be an actual choice.

And the dumb -2 speed penalty on Cavs.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Zore posted:

I will say the DLC design makes me hope they get rid of the weird class structure 3 Houses has and go back to more limited classes per person in the next game.

I like the class structure, and I think that it increases replayability, but they need to be balanced against each other better. Right now there's no mechanical reason to use some classes, like hero. Fliers are too good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

please god go back to just set classes for anyone. maybe the villager gimmick from gaiden/echoes or fe8 branching promotions. thats it. thats all you need

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

capitaldelendaest posted:

They seem to be tinkering with classes almost every new game since Shadow Dragon, so I'd be surprised if it was unchanged in the next game.

Kind of? Shadow Dragon and 12 used the same system then Fates and Awakening used the same system with some minor adjustments. Echoes faithfully recreated Gaiden's system even with a bunch of its weirdness like Dread Fighter infinite loops.

3 Houses has a really awful system that either needs to be more free or more restricted. Its a shambling mess of ideas that largely work against each other right now.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 17, 2020

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

please god go back to just set classes for anyone. maybe the villager gimmick from gaiden/echoes or fe8 branching promotions. thats it. thats all you need

This. It makes characters more easily have niches and also allows them to design maps with the knowledge that you should current have access to x classes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fliers especially feel weird in the main game because the maps were made without knowing if you had 0 or 15

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also I want manaketes and beast-stone units back

The fact you don't get any even with multiple dragon people as playable characters in 3 Houses is a travesty.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also bring back dark magic as its own weapon type instead of whatever the hell three houses was doing with it

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Weirdly enough the class limits from FE 11/12 could help with the more freeform stuff in later games. Like you can customize your army how you want to but there are still limits to what you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Endorph posted:

You can still go there in a post-timeskip save and get all the non-unit stuff. You can unlock the renown shop by talking to the Influencer, and buy as many DLC class seals as you need.